Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Di2. Where is it? Nowhere.

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Di2. Where is it? Nowhere.

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-10, 05:29 AM
mzeffex 

Bikes: Something Canadian, something Italian, something American, and something German

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 10 Posts
But it shifts with electricity..
Old 05-13-10, 05:35 AM
rangerdavid

Bikes: 2009 Cannondale CAAD9-6 2014 Trek Domaine 5.9

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by JaceK
What is with your ipad fetish?

It's a stripped down tablet, or a fluffed up e-book. Big deal, been done to death already.

it's a big cell phone that you cannot call anyone on..............

i'm just sayin................
Old 05-13-10, 05:36 AM
rangerdavid

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
........... and I'm telling Mrs. Pcad to slip a sleeping pill in you dinner tonight.
Old 05-13-10, 05:43 AM
classic1

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by patentcad
The advantages are far clearer on TT bikes for a couple of key reasons, but that's a very slim segment of the market.
Incorrect

Old 05-13-10, 06:07 AM
tuxbailey

Bikes: 2012 Guru Praemio R - 2001 Jamis Ventura - 1990 Specialized Hard Rock (with original tires) - 2012 Trek Cobias

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 3 Posts
how many pages?
Old 05-13-10, 06:25 AM
rangerdavid

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
pages? heck, it's already dying.................

or it'll be locked soon.
Old 05-13-10, 06:27 AM
Tulex
Junk Mile Junkie

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I'm under the covers with my laptop and a flashlight.

Busted.
Hell, if you need a flashlight to find it......
Old 05-13-10, 06:30 AM
jdon

Quoted: 343 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 9 Posts
Why? Not because it doesn't work. It does. But it's the question nobody asked, and even if they did and this stuff is all that (I hear it is), it's not an answer people are willing to pay a $1000+ premium for. You don't see it too much in the pros. As great as it may work, it just seems to introduce a new pointless complexity to an already complex arrangement. Batteries and electronics on bikes that race in the cold, hot, wet and dusty crashed laced conditions of pro and amateur racing? For huge incremental premium price? All so the shifts can happen 1/50th of a second faster and crisper?

I am the Schwag Junkie Bar None here, and I have no interest in this stuff. What does that tell you?

I have no doubt Shimano didn't R&D this crap to have it sit in bike shop cases. I'm confident the price will drift downwards. I'm confident there will be an Ultegra version soon for less than half that premium. I have to tell you, that even if the price were the same, I'd have a hard time convincing myself I wanted the needless complexity and potential fail factor for what appears to be minimal benefits.

You want to move shifting to the next level? Hubs with lightweight internal gears and wireless electronic shifting. That would confer some real advantages that external gears and derailleurs don't deliver.

I'm sure that ten years from now that's what may be prevalent on pro bikes. I'll be in the 65+ and you will all Rue the Day.
You are shy $1000?
Old 05-13-10, 06:32 AM
Tulex
Junk Mile Junkie

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I don't think electronics on a bike are the next big thing. A GOOD chainless system is what I am waiting for.
Old 05-13-10, 06:36 AM
mike868y

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 248 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
The "I don't want to worry about charging it" argument is crap. I've heard people getting 800-1000 miles out of a charge. Cabled bikes need more maintenance (adjusting cables, keeping the cables+housings in good shape, etc.) than just getting plugged in over the same time period.
Old 05-13-10, 06:39 AM
AngryScientist 
Lost

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked 113 Times in 45 Posts
Originally Posted by mike868y
The "I don't want to worry about charging it" argument is crap. I've heard people getting 800-1000 miles out of a charge. Cabled bikes need more maintenance (adjusting cables, keeping the cables+housings in good shape, etc.) than just getting plugged in over the same time period.
i dont know wtf you think you need to do to keep cables "in good shape" over 800 miles jr. - whatever it is, you're doing it wrong.
Old 05-13-10, 06:40 AM
Tulex
Junk Mile Junkie

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Yeah, but you can adjust a cable on the road, you can't just charge a battery.
Old 05-13-10, 06:42 AM
nvrlnd7

Bikes: Tommaso Aggraziato,Schwinn Varsity TT Custom

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm all in on the electric shifting,as soon as Toyota comes out with their version,which makes me pedal at top speed and i cant stop,with uncontrolable accelerations
I'm getting that and you guys will see me in the pro peloton !
Old 05-13-10, 06:47 AM
mike868y

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 248 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by AngryScientist
i dont know wtf you think you need to do to keep cables "in good shape" over 800 miles jr. - whatever it is, you're doing it wrong.
No but if you ride in a lot of crappy weather, you have to replace them every 2000-3000 miles, the electric cables on di2 should last much longer than that.

All of us clowns can manage to charge our cell phone every night, I highly doubt that when electronic shifting takes off (and it will) we will have a hard time remembering to charge our di2.
Old 05-13-10, 07:01 AM
AngryScientist 
Lost

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked 113 Times in 45 Posts
No but if you ride in a lot of crappy weather, you have to replace them every 2000-3000 miles, the electric cables on di2 should last much longer than that.

All of us clowns can manage to charge our cell phone every night, I highly doubt that when electronic shifting takes off (and it will) we will have a hard time remembering to charge our di2.
i agree with what you're saying to a point. bottom line is that i dont think they will work all of the kinks out of electronic shifting until the price comes down, and many more everyday enthusiasts have it, to collect more data.

i dont know what's out there honestly, but i dont know how well di2 is going to do with prolonged exposure to crappy conditions (a few years of riding wet, salty, cold / hot, sandy roads). time will tell, for sure.
Old 05-13-10, 07:05 AM
midgetmaestro 

Bikes: Cervelo Soloist

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
i agree with what you're saying to a point. bottom line is that i dont think they will work all of the kinks out of electronic shifting until the price comes down, and many more everyday enthusiasts have it, to collect more data.

i dont know what's out there honestly, but i dont know how well di2 is going to do with prolonged exposure to crappy conditions (a few years of riding wet, salty, cold / hot, sandy roads). time will tell, for sure.
From an engineering standpoint it's actually pretty simple to come up with a sealed system, so I doubt that the elements will be the cause of the potential downfall of Di2.
Old 05-13-10, 07:08 AM
Dheorl

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Because you don't have to worry about friction completely internal routing should be easy. If hydralic brakes take off as well then we'll end up with bikes which have virtually nothing in the way of visible cables.
Old 05-13-10, 07:09 AM
patentcad
Peloton Shelter Dog

Bikes: 2017 Scott Foil, 2016 Scott Addict SL, 2018 Santa Cruz Blur CC MTB

Mentioned: 74 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1142 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 22 Posts
Originally Posted by JaceK
What is with your ipad fetish?

It's a stripped down tablet, or a fluffed up e-book. Big deal, been done to death already.
Maybe after every college kid in America has one and Apple has sold 100 million it will finally start to dawn on you.

Maybe not.
Old 05-13-10, 07:13 AM
merlinextraligh
pan y agua

Bikes: Willier Zero 7; Merlin Extralight; Calfee Dragonfly tandem, Calfee Adventure tandem; Cervelo P2; Motebecane Ti Fly 29er; Motebecanne Phantom Cross; Schwinn Paramount Track bike

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1447 Post(s)
Liked 727 Times in 372 Posts
I think Di2 is about to become much more common. Felt has it on a bike that retails for $5900, and actually can be had for $5400.

Pro Bike Kit has a full Di2 group now for $2400.

It's about to hit a price point where the premium over 7900, and Super Record will not be that large.
OR YOU COULD STAY HOME AND FALL OFF THE COUCH AND DIE.
Old 05-13-10, 07:15 AM
patentcad
Peloton Shelter Dog

Originally Posted by merlinextraligh
I think Di2 is about to become much more common. Felt has it on a bike that retails for $5900, and actually can be had for $5400.

Pro Bike Kit has a full Di2 group now for $2400.

It's about to hit a price point where the premium over 7900, and Super Record will not be that large.
If they get the price down it may start moving.
Old 05-13-10, 07:17 AM
ColorChange
3 seconds

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I’m a little tired so here is my earlier reply concerning Di2.

Originally Posted by ColorChange
The performance of the Di2 is devastating. You simply tap and get a gear, fast, any time, under any conditions. That means full load, front or rear derailleur - or at the same time, cross chained or not, 700 watts or more, or less ... do you get the point? Touch and it's done. That's it. You can't screw it up, even when trying. The closest thing I have had to a mis-shift is taking 1/3 crank to catch the next set of pins and ramps to make the jump on the fd. Operator error still occurs every now and then as I am still getting used to tapping the buttons and am trying to perfect my "left side big ring, right side up two gears" upshift or "left side small ring, right side down two gears" downshift. I do these changes at the same time, one tap left side, two taps right side. Super cool! Since shifting is so easy and reliable, I shift constantly, tweaking my ideal desired cadence.

RD shifting is quieter than RED (almost silent unless the FD auto-trims or your pumping major wattage).

I am now running the RED powerdome 11-26 cassette with good results so far. Shimano claimed 11-25 was the largest rear cog that was compatible. It was so cool to throw the new cassette on the bike, start riding it, hit the trim adjustment button, and within 1 minute of putting on a new cassette, I was dialed in and riding. No tools, no twisting cable stops in the bike stand. Too cool!

It does weigh more but this difference can be reduced by using RED components in some areas. I have heard the RED crank will work as well but haven't tried it.

Is it "worth" the extra money? Not anymore than RED is worth the extra money compared to Force. I'm a techy guy and LOVE it. Seriously, it's that much fun. Other people may not care so much.
You imply that speed of shifting is the primary benefit of Di2. That is simply wrong. The primary benefit is any gear, any time, under any constitutions. In fact, the Di2 has superior reliability compared to Red and Shimano (I haven’t used Campy), in that when I shift, I get the gear I want. With the others, you still don’t always get the right gear because of too short a push or not enough pressure on the shifter, cross chaining, too much load while shifting (especially the fd), etc. Additionally, it takes more mental energy to focus on getting the shift right. Not with Di2, it’s simply tap and forget. Also, barrel adjusters and cables are a thing of the past.

I am the Schwag Junkie Bar None here, and I have no interest in this stuff. What does that tell you?

It tells me you are no longer the Schwag Junkie King and have been barred by this one.
Old 05-13-10, 08:25 AM
noise boy

Bikes: Cannondale CAAD9

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 498 Times in 300 Posts
from my very casual observing standpoint, it appears to me that campy dominates the giro bikes.
I noticed that as well in one of the spotters guides in a magazine, about 3 to 1 vs Shimano and SRAM combined
Old 05-13-10, 08:34 AM
roadiejorge 
stole your bike

Bikes: Orbea Orca, Ridley Compact

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 4201 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 18 Posts
Why? Not because it doesn't work. It does. But it's the question nobody asked, and even if they did and this stuff is all that (I hear it is), it's not an answer people are willing to pay a $1000+ premium for. You don't see it too much in the pros. As great as it may work, it just seems to introduce a new pointless complexity to an already complex arrangement. Batteries and electronics on bikes that race in the cold, hot, wet and dusty crashed laced conditions of pro and amateur racing? For huge incremental premium price? All so the shifts can happen 1/50th of a second faster and crisper?

I have no doubt Shimano didn't R&D this crap to have it sit in bike shop cases. I'm confident the price will drift downwards. I'm confident there will be an Ultegra version soon for less than half that premium. I have to tell you, that even if the price were the same, I'd have a hard time convincing myself I wanted the needless complexity and potential fail factor for what appears to be minimal benefits.

You want to move shifting to the next level? Hubs with lightweight internal gears and wireless electronic shifting. That would confer some real advantages that external gears and derailleurs don't deliver.

I'm sure that ten years from now that's what may be prevalent on pro bikes. I'll be in the 65+ and you will all Rue the Day.
Sums it up nicely for me. I see it more as a novelty at this stage than something that will improve my riding so I can't see the point of spending so much money on a gruppo. Sure being able to switch to the big ring under torque flawlessly is nice but I haven't found the need to do that since I learned how to find the right gear combo well before a climb. Fast, crisp shifting with just the touch of the shifter is nice as well but what I have now isn't terrible by any stretch of the imagination so I haven't been sold in that area either. Di2 is the cycling equivalent of the iPad for my purposes; nice toy but not worth the price tag.
Old 05-13-10, 08:35 AM
Eclectus

Bikes: Cervelo RS, Specialized Stumpy, Schwinn 974

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I agree with PCad. At some point Di3 or 4 will compute big ring and small ring shifts, even measuring data from a power meter, you set some parameters, and then the electronic brain takes over. This will eventually evolve to manual vs. automatic transmission for bikes. I'm an old-school guy. I drive an automatic transmission in my SUV today (5 speed + Lo/Hi 4WD) , but my fondest memories are driving stick shifts, and for 4WD, having to get out and manually lock the front hubs, sometimes in rain and mud. It was fun adventure, like going into Baja and unmarked "roads", pre-GPS and saying, "I can get us there, I'm really good at map-reading and dead-reckoning." And I was reallly good at that. And often really scared. But I didn't let my passengers know the latter. Cuz then they would just have hounded me to turn back. What kinda fun is that? It was waay more fun to deliver them to cool places.

I got Red before it swept the TdF podium. I liked before and aI like it afterwards. If Di2 sweeps this year, I'm not changing...not right away. I stuck with manual transmissions for my MVs for a long time.
Old 05-13-10, 08:35 AM
patentcad
Peloton Shelter Dog

So what?

I'm telling you the real gearing change is internal hub shifting, wireless,
and it's 5-10 years in the future. But it's as inevitable as a Mets September Collapse.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.