Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

What motivates you to ride?

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

What motivates you to ride?

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-14, 12:58 PM
gdhillard

Bikes: 2008 Scott SUB 30, 1981 Miyata Ridge Runner, Dahon Speed 8

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Retired, so no longer commuting. Still riding every day, and its the best part of every day. Makes me fit, happy, and positive.
Old 08-12-14, 01:07 PM
joeyduck

Bikes: 1997 Kona Hahana Race Light, 2010 Surly LHT(deceased), 1999 Rocky Mountain Turbo

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
One downside to biking: It is such a cheap hobby that once I need to spend money I have a difficult time rationalizing the expenditure.
Old 08-12-14, 01:55 PM
linnefaulk

Bikes: 1990 Trek 820, 1995 Trek 1220

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by the sci guy
-pie
+1
Old 08-14-14, 09:39 PM
rara avis

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
- fitness and the hope to add ten more years of good life in this place
- fresh, crisp morning air. I cannot have enough of it. There is no industry around so the place is pretty much pristine. Very little traffic, mostly in the evening.
- the smell of wild flowers during my evening ride.
- the morning ride prepares me for the day at work. The evening ride prepares me for the evening at home.... Kids...
- I feel free. And have that inexplicable sense of happiness.

that's about it, off the top of my head...
Old 08-15-14, 12:34 PM
Eric S.

Bikes: '04 LeMond Buenos Aires, '82 Bianchi Nuova Racing, De Rosa SLX, Bridgestone MB-1, Guerciotti TSX, Torpado Aelle, LeMond Tourmalet 853, Bridgestone Radac

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Liked 46 Times in 36 Posts
Being able to get where I'm going on streets with little or no traffic allows me to daydream while I get where I need to be.

Can't do that in a car.

Sometimes I feel lazy and drive but I regret it. Cycling has me perked up and alert when I arrive; not so much in a car.
Old 08-16-14, 04:12 PM
baron von trail 

Bikes: 3 good used ones

Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Cycling is more fun than driving. /thread
Old 08-16-14, 05:36 PM
Sullalto

Bikes: Jamis Quest Comp

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 169 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
At this point, I don't need motivation to ride. I need motivation for that pesky 'job' thing in between my daily bike rides.

I've just gotten into cycling this year, after not being active for a decade. Exercises(I primarily cycle) manages my mental health better than any medication regimen I've ever had. How stable I am is pretty proportional to how active I am.

I didn't like being fat either, but pounds melting away has more to do with a change in diet than exercise. Exercise makes it much easier to maintain a calorie deficit though.

I also don't have a car, and I can get to work faster by pedaling than the bus manages. Shower included.

I like the feeling of using my body, I like an honest sweat and well earned soreness.
Old 08-16-14, 05:36 PM
Sullalto

Bikes: Jamis Quest Comp

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 169 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by baron von trail
Cycling is more fun than driving. /thread
I dunno, that kinda depends on the car and the road. Cycling vs Sitting in traffic while commuting, definitely. But a good empty road and a well-tuned vehicle is a universal pleasure. Be it 2 wheels(powered or unpowered) or 4.

Last edited by Sullalto; 08-16-14 at 05:40 PM.
Old 08-16-14, 06:14 PM
Bug Shield

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 13 Posts
Are we talking riding in general or just commuting?
  • It's easy to ride to work. Cool, low traffic, down hill, light wind. Then I'm stuck at work and if I want to get home...
  • It keeps me fit (mentally too).
  • It lets me eat what I want (and as much as I want).
  • It allows me to divert commuting cost to toys.
  • It makes me part of the solution.
  • Camaraderie.
Old 08-16-14, 06:56 PM
alan s 

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1496 Post(s)
Liked 189 Times in 128 Posts
I get to show off my quads to the ladies 2x per day.
Old 08-16-14, 07:46 PM
Mark Stone
Tractorlegs

Bikes: Schwinn Meridian Single-Speed Tricycle

Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Liked 60 Times in 42 Posts
Originally Posted by Steely Dan

NOT FAIR posting pictures of two different guys and claiming it's you!!

Kidding aside, WOW!! Great transformation!
Old 08-16-14, 07:48 PM
Mark Stone
Tractorlegs

Bikes: Schwinn Meridian Single-Speed Tricycle

Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Liked 60 Times in 42 Posts
When I was in my 20s and 30s, the experts said "Ride your Bike! You will be healthy, happy, and live to be a healthy, mobile, fit old man!" And now that I'm in my 60s I realize that they were right and it worked! So I'll keep riding . .
Old 08-17-14, 09:30 AM
mustridebikes

Bikes: Novara Randonee

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Sixty Fiver
a bad day on the bike always beats a good day stuck in a car.
+1
Old 08-17-14, 09:36 AM
baron von trail 

Bikes: 3 good used ones

Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Sullalto
I dunno, that kinda depends on the car and the road. Cycling vs Sitting in traffic while commuting, definitely. But a good empty road and a well-tuned vehicle is a universal pleasure. Be it 2 wheels(powered or unpowered) or 4.
Years ago I moved to a part of the country where commuting either by bike or car keeps me out of snarling traffic jams and smelly cities. Nonetheless on the days I drive, I still lament not having chosen to ride.
Old 08-17-14, 07:08 PM
TrekCommuter

Bikes: 2011 Trek 7.2 FX & 2015 Bianchi Volpe

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
What motivates me to ride to work? Sitting at a desk for 8 hours, 5 days a week. Also, this desk happens to be in the basement of the building where I work. No natural light, no fresh air.
Old 08-18-14, 12:17 AM
GriddleCakes
Tawp Dawg

Bikes: '06 Surly Pugsley, '14 Surly Straggler, '88 Kuwahara Xtracycle, '10 Motobecane Outcast 29er, '?? Surly Cross Check (wife's), '00 Trek 4500 (wife's), '12 Windsor Oxford 3-speed (dogs')

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Cycling the funnest way that I know to navigate around my city. Traffic isn't much of an issue here (although locals who've never driven in larger cities will disagree), but driving in the city is still a tedious endeavor, vacillating between stress and boredom. The local bus system is wildly inconvenient (missed your bus? Next one comes in an hour. Need to be somewhere early on the weekend? Sorry, buses don't start running until 10:00 on most routes), embarrassingly so for a city of our size. Plus, buses are all, like, ew.

But riding a bike, now that's just fun, now matter how or why you're doing it. I'd rather ride a bike than drive or walk. My commute is almost completely stress (and car) free, but even back when it was all sidewalks along busy arterial streets and survival parking lot hopping, I would still have rather been on a bike than in my car.

There are loads of other benefits: some folks do it to save money (I spend enough money and time on my bikes that I'm pretty sure it's a wash for me), it keeps you physically fit, you're less of a burden on the taxpayer funded public infrastructure, your carbon footprint is reduced (this is originally why I started riding again, after my obligatory infatuation with the motor vehicle), blah blah blah. These are all great benefits that you can derive from cycling. But it's the fun, I think, that keeps most of us at it.

If I didn't find the simple act of riding a bicycle to be the deeply, intrinsically enjoyable experience that it is, I seriously doubt that I would've kept at through these past 13 years. Or be able to confidently state that I will continue to ride bikes, whenever and wherever I can, until I'm no longer able to do so.
Old 08-18-14, 01:03 AM
GriddleCakes
Tawp Dawg

Bikes: '06 Surly Pugsley, '14 Surly Straggler, '88 Kuwahara Xtracycle, '10 Motobecane Outcast 29er, '?? Surly Cross Check (wife's), '00 Trek 4500 (wife's), '12 Windsor Oxford 3-speed (dogs')

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Lady GriddleCakes here:

Saving money is sure not an excuse in our household given how much GriddleCakes spends on bicycle parts, but bike wrenching is his hobby, and it seems like a thoroughly worthwhile one. We get by with one car in a winter city, so I guess we do save a bit that way.

I've biked to work most of the last 5 years primarily for mental health; I need exercise to feel ok, and I am not a morning person, so bike commuting is the only way I will get my blood pumping and endorphins running before I sit down to work. If I drive, I feel like a slug all day. If I bike, I show up energized (or possibly flipping out on adrenaline about the last jackass in a truck that almost squished me).

On really icy days, I actually feel much safer (better control than a car) on my studded-tire mountain bike than in my car on the road with every idiot who thinks 4WD = immortality. I admit to getting a kick out of my co-workers' shocked stares when I show up on a bike during an ice storm or 20 below zero cold snap.

and +1 to all the lower carbon footprint/environmental/it's just more fun than driving
Old 08-18-14, 03:04 AM
kenwer

Bikes: Surly LHT 2012, Jamis Citizen 1 2015

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
When I bike to work I usually have to get my gear together the night before. I like the preparation, it's a kind of meditation for me. In the morning I feel ready to go which is a feeling that lasts into the workday. The ride in gives me a chance to think about some of the things that might happen right when I walk through the door, to sort of decide in advance how I'm going to handle the day emotionally. The last couple of months have been really great at work, but before that it was rough, a phenomenally bad boss, lot's of unprofessional behavior, etc., etc.. It also makes it easy to get on the bike with my 2 year old son because getting on the bike is such a regular thing.
Old 08-20-14, 06:41 AM
mgw4jc

Bikes: Cannondale Synapse, Trek 5000 TCT, Giant OCR

Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Quoted: 255 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 18 Posts
Apologies if this has already been posted somewhere recently. It's a short commercial encouraging people - of all types - to ride. It's pretty funny.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=283794421808937

Last edited by mgw4jc; 08-20-14 at 06:58 AM.
Old 08-20-14, 07:50 AM
linnefaulk

Bikes: 1990 Trek 820, 1995 Trek 1220

Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
All rides should end with ice cream
Old 08-20-14, 09:14 AM
spare_wheel

Bikes: NA

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Hmmmm...when the other choices are motoring in a low occupancy vehicle or using a less than 3rd word public transport system no positive motivation is required.
Old 08-20-14, 10:03 AM
scroca
commuter and barbarian

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I can't really remember what motivated me to start bicycle commuting. Now I do it because it is what I do.
Old 09-03-14, 04:18 PM
boattail71
boattail71

Bikes: Too many to list. Raleigh carbon racer (17 lbs.) and fast to a '37 Columbia (17 lbs. wheels alone) Even an Aerocycle (not ridable yet), love the middleweights too.

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mstraus
Why can't my commute ride be just as fun as a weekend ride? Yea, maybe not every day is fun, but generally I ENJOY cycling and find it FUN, so no reason my commute can't be FUN too! It helps that I have some amazing scenery on my commute.

Do you ever ride for fun or enjoymnet, and NOT for commuting or errands? If so how is that any different?
I recently rode in a Tour de Fat bike parade; now that's fun! But no, I don't otherwise ride just for the fun or enjoyment. On a workout, I'm on the bike for that alone. If it somehow becomes "fun" then great! (legs felt great on Sunday and I actually enjoyed that ride) (a ride with my buddies on Monday - that was enjoyable too) Usually though, not necessarily fun - usually I can't wait to get back home for chores, dinner, or enjoyable avocations.

I run errands or commute by bike because it offers the least hassle and inconvenience. I suppose you could argue semantically that that is more "fun" than driving.

-- D. Downer, whah whahhhhhh
Old 09-03-14, 04:26 PM
joeyduck

Bikes: 1997 Kona Hahana Race Light, 2010 Surly LHT(deceased), 1999 Rocky Mountain Turbo

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My wife told me if I get my six pack back we get more baby making practice.
Old 09-04-14, 12:18 AM
HydroG33r 

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by joeyduck
My wife told me if I get my six pack back we get more baby making practice.
If you bring home a 6-pack of this will she take the hint?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
image.jpg (55.8 KB, 18 views)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.