Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Road Less Traveled

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Road Less Traveled

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-14, 08:09 PM
noreastener

Bikes: Univega Steely

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Road Less Traveled

Granted in the purest function of commuting is to get us from point A to point B, but how many people intentionally do not take the most direct route for some extra scenery or time in the saddle? If you do what are your reasons?
Old 08-24-14, 08:29 PM
TrekCommuter

Bikes: 2011 Trek 7.2 FX & 2015 Bianchi Volpe

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
Depends on how much time I have.
Old 08-24-14, 08:52 PM
bbeasley
Cat 5 field stuffer

Bikes: Wabi Lightning RE, Wabi Classic

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 3 Posts
I never take the most direct route. My two alternate routes are more fun and have better scenery.
Old 08-24-14, 08:57 PM
CrankyOne

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 358 Post(s)
Liked 48 Times in 35 Posts
Occasionally. This morning my wife and I took a couple of miles extra on the way home from church just for enjoyment. In Amsterdam I'd often do this partially for the enjoyment of the route but also because my most direct route only had a bike lane for much of the way instead of a faster and smoother cycletrack. I've also been known to lengthen my route based on pub availability.
Old 08-24-14, 09:34 PM
hueyhoolihan

Bikes: 8 ss bikes, 1 5-speed touring bike

Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
i used to ride through Mather Field airport in Rancho Cordova, Ca. because they had a few old planes on the ramp that i liked to look at. it was only a mile or so out of the way. the traffic was light and was well lighted at night too.
Old 08-24-14, 11:31 PM
Dirt Farmer

Bikes: Jamis Quest Elite; Fuji Sagres; Trek Fuel EX 8

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 329 Post(s)
Liked 74 Times in 54 Posts
I take the longer route because the shorter route is: A) on a much busier stretch of highway; and B) it has a bit of a hill, which the longer route avoids.

The longer route is much quieter and more serene, in a residential area.
Old 08-25-14, 02:14 AM
Saving Hawaii

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Never. My most direct route is a MUP with gorgeous views of a wide variety of scenic chain link and wooden fences. The next shortest route would be mostly on high-speed arterials with no bike lanes and would increase the distance by over 33%.
Old 08-25-14, 04:46 AM
downwinded

Bikes: 2014 Trek Crossrip LTD, 2013 Raleigh Misceo

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
For the trip home, almost every day. Scenery, wildlife, less traffic.
Old 08-25-14, 07:35 AM
gregf83 

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1186 Post(s)
Liked 289 Times in 177 Posts
My trip is fairly long 33km so I don't usually extend it much. I sometimes take a different route by the river that adds a few km and if it's particularly miserable I can shorten it up by a couple of km. My ride includes about 30min on a new highway which has a little more traffic but a wide clean shoulder and no lights which I prefer.
Old 08-25-14, 07:40 AM
jrickards

Bikes: 2012 Kona Sutra, 2002 Look AL 384, 2018 Moose Fat bike

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 133 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
The most direct route to work is 4km each way but I cycle anywhere from 16 to 25km each way (depending on the route) for fitness.
Old 08-25-14, 07:41 AM
wphamilton

Bikes: Nashbar Road

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 2934 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 228 Posts
I have a very nice Greenway, forest shade by the creek, most of the way. I only take the more direct route, with traffic lights hills and traffic, when I want to hit it harder than would be wise on the Greenway.
Old 08-25-14, 08:09 AM
blakcloud

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 608 Post(s)
Liked 352 Times in 225 Posts
I take the longer route because it is safer, the scenery is nicer, gives me more time to enjoy the ride, gives me more exercise, and the biggest reason is, it is lot more fun.
Old 08-25-14, 08:19 AM
bmthom.gis

Bikes: 2014 Cannondale Synapse Carbon 4 Rival; 2014 Cannondale Trail 7 29; 1972 Schwinn Suburban, 1996 Proflex 756, 1987(?) Peugeot, Dahon Speed P8; 1979 Raleigh Competition GS; 1995 Stumpjumper M2 FS, 1978 Raleigh Sports, Schwinn Prologue

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Taking the most direct route would put me on a 2 lane road with absolutely no shoulder and some of the worst drivers around. I go 3 miles out of my way. Unfortunately there is only one good way into my city from where I live, and not many options to take the scenic route. I have been experimenting with some side streets on the way back home, and all I have found is super rough pavement and steeper hills. I haven't quite given up yet though
Old 08-25-14, 08:37 AM
scroca
commuter and barbarian

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I've always chosen longer if it was safer. Also, there have been times when I went out of my way just to get more miles in.

Now I live 30 miles from work so I do not need to look for longer routes. Now the choice is how far I drive before I park and switch to the bike. Now I tend to drive short and ride long. When the winter comes I will have to reverse that.
Old 08-25-14, 10:13 AM
Artkansas 
Pedaled too far.

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
On my last long commute I took the slightly longer commute going home. Traffic was bad on part of the longer stretch, but then it turned into a wooded park with a nice MUP and view. And I avoided a killer hill going that route. I could only do it in summer, as the park wasn't lit at night.

Originally Posted by Bjforrestal
I don't care if you are on a unicycle, as long as you're not using a motor to get places you get props from me. We're here to support each other. Share ideas, and motivate one another to actually keep doing it.
Old 08-25-14, 10:23 AM
mustridebikes

Bikes: Novara Randonee

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I try to vary my route as much as possible just to combat boredom. I also go out of the way to visit different stores than I would if I drove when running errands on the way home.
Old 08-25-14, 01:23 PM
PaulRivers

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 539 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 38 Posts
I take the safer route that's longer over the less safe route pretty much always, but past that I take the shorter route in the morning, then debate the longer route in the evening when I have more time...
Old 08-25-14, 01:25 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
When I hit the Thursday night ride, it could be seen as a 45 mile detour.
Old 08-25-14, 01:26 PM
bikemig 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes and a few new ones

Mentioned: 178 Post(s)
Quoted: 5888 Post(s)
Liked 3,471 Times in 2,079 Posts
I often take a MUP home that meanders through downtown and along a river. The scenery is great and it only adds 6 miles to the ride home. Not bad.
Old 08-25-14, 01:32 PM
mikeybikes

Bikes: Tons

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My most direct route is 5.1 miles. I take that when I'm in a hurry in the morning and I usually take it going home when it's warm in the summer.

I have other routes that are up to 10 miles long that I will take for some extra exercise, or because I just feel like riding down roads less traveled by motor vehicles.
Old 08-25-14, 01:44 PM
Steely Dan
born again cyclist

Bikes: I have five of brikes

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 201 Post(s)
Liked 78 Times in 31 Posts
i don't take the most direct route because it's a very busy trafficy street full of angry motorists and bus exhaust and people opening car doors into the traffic lane and people jaywalking out between parked cars and a million other things going on to be constantly on guard for, especially at rush hour.

so i go a little bit out of my way and side street it to work. much less cars (by an order of magnitude at least), much less stress, much less exhaust, and only a small time penalty of maybe 2 minutes. plus, the side streets are primarily tree covered, so less sun to overheat me.

totally worth it in my opinion.

Last edited by Steely Dan; 08-25-14 at 01:51 PM.
Old 08-25-14, 02:22 PM
Consularrider

Bikes: Surly Pugsley, Jamis Renegade, Kona Rove, Salsa Pistola, Raleigh M60, Raleigh Sport Touring Team USA

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have two direct five mile routes, one that is a MUP except the last three blocks, and the other that is on road with bike lanes about 50% of the way. The MUP has the advantage of no road intersections for the first four miles. The on road direct route has been my winter route after a snowfall when I need something which has been plowed. However, I rarely take either, but instead take a combination of MUPs that follow the stream that runs past my house down to the Potomac River and then follow that up to within three blocks of my office (a 12 mile route). I do this mostly to get more riding time/milage.
Old 08-27-14, 11:04 AM
Walter S

Bikes: Surly Long Haul Disc Trucker

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1015 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I commute in Atlanta Georgia, typically riding 20 miles from Decatur to Sandy Springs. The most direct route is 15 miles and I never do that one. That route has me spending well over half the distance on major four to six lane roads with 45 mph speed limit and lots of agressive traffic and narrow lanes. Not my cup of tea. My route mostly follows neighborhood roads where few if any drivers would drive as thru-traffic. The roads are almost all two lane with 35 mph or 25 mph speed limits.

I have a few favorite routes and then one in particular that I ride 90% of the time or more. Among other benefits I find that routes with a lot of turns make the time go faster. I get a better feeling of progress that way. And the ride goes through more "phases" in terms of the kind of surroundings (industrial, parks, suburbs, etc.). While I love to follow routes like these, I sort of dislike learning them. I don't want the mental focus that takes while I ride. I like to ride without figuring out how to get there. So I've developed most routes for commuting/other by using the TomTom app on my iPhone which finds great bicycle routes. It will do things like route me through a shopping center parking lot as a way of getting between two streets expediously. Or it might send me on walking bridge over the interstate - in short, things a car driver would not or could not do but work great on a bicycle.
Old 08-27-14, 11:31 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
This Town is 1 big hill, water on 3 sides , a peninsula .. around at the shore line wins over straight over the hill across ..
Old 08-27-14, 01:00 PM
TransitBiker
contiuniously variable

Bikes: 2012 Breezer Uptown Infinity, Fuji Varsity

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
For me, its all about what the trip is for. If it's groceries or heavy load, i go the most direct route avoiding rough pavement areas. If i'm just popping over to the bank or super quicck errand, i might be inclined to go on a farther route just for fun.

- Andy

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.