Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

Nothing Like A "War-Zone" Out There At All...

Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

Nothing Like A "War-Zone" Out There At All...

Old 03-06-19, 02:08 PM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7628 Post(s)
Liked 3,453 Times in 1,823 Posts
Originally Posted by livedarklions
When I lived in New Orleans in the 1980s, the Mardi Gras headlines I remember were about being shot in the face.
You didn't know you had been shot in the face until you read about it in the paper? You were really enjoying Mardi Gras, I guess.

Old 03-06-19, 02:47 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,094 Times in 5,053 Posts
Originally Posted by tagaproject6
Pfft! HTFU! That's not a war zone.

I always say, if you can get beignet, it is not a war zone.
Old 03-06-19, 05:33 PM
Digital_Cowboy

Bikes: Specialized Hardrock Mountain (Stolen); Giant Seek 2 (Stolen); Diamondback Ascent mid 1980 - 1997

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Maelochs
Much as I hate to prevent conflict ... JoeyBike, doesn't mean it is silly to be a soldier. He was calling me "silly." He is merely saying he would not want to be a soldier.
That's not how it came across to me.

I have great respect for vets, but like, JoeyBike, I opted not to enlist. Too tough a path for me.

He also ignores that in most wars, most casualties are civilians. Whatever.
That's a sad reality of war.

In one post in one thread quite a while ago he claimed that biking in New Orleans was like being in a war zone. A lot of people took exception because the comparison was so overblown. it was just a passing comment but a lot of us latched onto it as a sign that JoeyBike was getting too deep into exaggeration and self-pity and ridiculousness (he has a long history of excellent, informative, well-reasoned posts prior to that---and several since.)
He's been making that "claim" for as long as I've known, which is longer than you. He's used it as his "justification" for running red lights and stop signs.

He meant no disrespect to people who have chosen or been called to serve. Or ... well, he can say so for himself, if I am wrong. But I do not want any misunderstandings here.
Again, that's not how it came across to me.
Old 03-06-19, 05:38 PM
Digital_Cowboy

Bikes: Specialized Hardrock Mountain (Stolen); Giant Seek 2 (Stolen); Diamondback Ascent mid 1980 - 1997

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by JoeyBike
So is it shameful to be a civilian? Or do military people only concern themselves with serving other service people? Somebody has to stay home and sponsor you and yours with tax dollars. And not everyone is cut out for the military. Why would this be insulting? I appreciate those who serve. Has nothing to do with exposing myself to unnecessary danger no matter the source.
No, of course not. Just the way that it was worded it came across as an insult, at least too me. We face various dangers no matter where we are, or what we're doing. Just getting into one's car and driving down the street is dangerous.

Originally Posted by JoeyBike
And no one is disrespecting the flag here either. So please don't go there too.
Old 03-06-19, 05:57 PM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7628 Post(s)
Liked 3,453 Times in 1,823 Posts
Originally Posted by Digital_Cowboy
That's not how it came across to me.
The sad reality of misunderstanding, amplified by the depersonaliztion of intenet text exchanged between two strangers.
Old 03-10-19, 10:29 AM
JoeyBike
20+mph Commuter

Bikes: Surly LHT, Surly Lowside, a folding bike, and a beater.

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1422 Post(s)
Liked 315 Times in 210 Posts
So now we have two new ghost bikes where these fatalities took place. I hope motorists aren't distracted by the new road furniture and drift over to take me out. I bike this route twice a day for my commute. The irony that a ghost bike could be the cause of another bike fatality is not lost on me. And I am pretty certain that ghost bikes have a statistical ZERO positive effect on drunk motorists. I wish there was a time limit on how long those "monuments" were allowed to reside on public/city property. I could see 30-90 days, then removal. As it is, they stay put until they rust away. For what reason, exactly? Do we really need to turn our open/public spaces into cemeteries? Or junk yards? Isn't that our cemeteries intended purpose? And how exactly would a daily dose of ghost bikes promote cycling to a person already on the fence about taking up commuting?

I don't like them. Never did. Now I have two more I cannot miss.