Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

Eyeglasses/helmet mirror... is it just me?

Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

Eyeglasses/helmet mirror... is it just me?

Old 07-10-19, 02:08 PM
noisebeam
Arizona Dessert

Bikes: Cannondale SuperSix, Lemond Poprad. Retired: Jamis Sputnik, Centurion LeMans Fixed, Diamond Back ascent ex

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5345 Post(s)
Liked 2,169 Times in 1,288 Posts
I put a significant effort to try and get an eyeglass mirror to work . Even used one for 2mo straight on my daily commute. But in the end that mirror was too much of a peripheral vision distraction for me that never went away - like that feeling someone has their hand next to your head and may slap you any second, or on a bicycle the feeling of a car approaching from the left when there wasn't one.
But also and equally problematic is I could never adjust it so I could glance at it and see behind me without contorting my head each time to see over shoulder. I was told it was not usable when in low position, so what is the point if I need to sit up right to see behind me?
With bar end mirror all it takes is a glance and no need to change positions. Still have a Take-a-Look in my storage bin in case I wish to try another time.
Old 07-10-19, 02:12 PM
noisebeam
Arizona Dessert

Bikes: Cannondale SuperSix, Lemond Poprad. Retired: Jamis Sputnik, Centurion LeMans Fixed, Diamond Back ascent ex

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Quoted: 5345 Post(s)
Liked 2,169 Times in 1,288 Posts
Originally Posted by genec
Of course to get to the brush, I have to take some roadways, so I want a mirror.
Take it off when you get to the trailhead and stash in bag.
Old 07-10-19, 06:27 PM
Jim from Boston

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts
I think that "through the mirror" thing is the problem... the eyes keep trying to focus ON the mirror... I'll give it some time... Thanks... I had a feeling it was something like that. It'll probably suddenly "click," like those magic vision posters.
Originally Posted by banerjek
This will definitely prevent you from seeing anything.

Mirror placement is important. Glancing into it needs to be a natural process or else you'll find yourself looking for (and then at) it. If the image reflected back needs to be interpreted because the mirror angle is weird, that could also throw you off.
Originally Posted by Jim from Boston
Not to one-up, but I use both right and left review mirrors [link), and I don't recall much difficulty with first the left one.

IMO, eyeglass mounted (since I wear prescription eyeglasses) are the most useful. I kept knocking off handlebar and helmet mirrors and the eyeglass (or helmet mirror) is in view when you rise from the saddle.

[u]The main drawbacks I think are the possibility of eye or face injuries, and as you have described, fiddling with it and not paying attention to traffic and the road.

I could relate to the magic vision posters. I took a long time to see what others saw.
Originally Posted by noisebeam
I put a significant effort to try and get an eyeglass mirror to work . Even used one for 2mo straight on my daily commute. But in the end that mirror was too much of a peripheral vision distraction for me that never went away - like that feeling someone has their hand next to your head and may slap you any second, or on a bicycle the feeling of a car approaching from the left when there wasn't one.

But also and equally problematic is I could never adjust it so I could glance at it and see behind me without contorting my head each time to see over shoulder. I was told it was not usable when in low position, so what is the point if I need to sit up right to see behind me?...
Originally Posted by banerjek
I experimented with a number of different mirror configurations before settling in on a glasses mirror (specifically, the Take-A-Look).

The biggest advantages of the glasses mirror was greatest control over mirror placement/configuration and least susceptible to vibration. I tried helmet mirrors for quite awhile, and they never worked quite as well.

I like flat glass. Zero visual distortion is incredibly useful for judging distances, especially when making tight decisions on space. With helmet and glasses mounted mirrors, there's no reason to go convex because you can see anywhere behind you, including the opposite side of the mirror.

With regards to injury and distraction concerns others raised, I find the mirror prevents distraction as I can look in front and behind at the same time. I have crashed a few times with my mirror, my experience is it comes off in a way that doesn't lead to you getting speared.
This morning while riding I scrutinized my usual comfortable mirror viewing on my well-placed mirrors, and I could not detect any change in in visual accomodation as I glanced from the road to the mirror. I seemed to focus on the mirror. When I look at those magic vision posters, I do have to conscientiously vary my focal planes to achieve success.

When I suggested drawbacks to an eyeglass-mounted mirror, these were speculative considerations, though subscriber @ItsJustMe has posted about a facial injury. I’ve never felt threatened by my mirror, though I do admit that my right hand mirror position is a “blind spot” on my right to sideways traffic, but it’s easy to look forward of it, as it continuously changes its relative position.
Old 07-10-19, 06:31 PM
genec
genec

Bikes: custom built, sannino, beachbike, giant trance x2

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quoted: 13658 Post(s)
Liked 4,532 Times in 3,158 Posts
Originally Posted by noisebeam
Take it off when you get to the trailhead and stash in bag.
Yeah, I'll come up with a thumbscrew arrangement to make it easy. Damn helmet mirror fell off again.
Old 07-11-19, 11:20 AM
Leisesturm

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2473 Post(s)
Liked 722 Times in 513 Posts
Outrageous price... but with flat glass, and that articulating arm... this may be a better solution than the one I am trying to use right now. Convex just sucks. just too much distortion.

This one is high on the list. Thanks
At the bike shop in Portland (Beaverton actually) where the inventor used to work the EVT mirror doesn't cost any more than any other mirror of its type.
Old 07-21-19, 05:18 PM
linberl

Bikes: Trident Spike 2 recumbent trike w/ e-assist

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1321 Post(s)
Liked 374 Times in 288 Posts
I use one. At first, it made me feel cross-eyed, lol. I made myself focus by looking at the color of the second car behind me. Once I started to try to focus on something further back, my "focus" on the mirror shifted and all was good. Make sure it is good quality glass or whatever as aberrations will drive you crazy.
Old 07-28-19, 06:15 AM
Moe Zhoost
Half way there

Bikes: Many, and the list changes frequently

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 985 Post(s)
Liked 879 Times in 526 Posts
It took me a while (weeks) to figure out my helmet mirror, but once I did I realized how much more effective they can be. I found (and this sounds counter-intuitive) that if I mounted the mirror so that it was closer to my eye. I moved the mount point to the rear of my helmet to effectively reduce the arm length, but not so much that I lost the angle necessary to see around my helmet. My old eyes won't focus on anything that's less than 2 feet away, but I have no issue looking at the distance reflected off a mirror only 2" away.
Old 07-28-19, 06:48 AM
BobbyG

Bikes: 2015 Charge Plug, 2007 Dahon Boardwalk, 1997 Nishiki Blazer, 1984 Nishiki International, 2006 Felt F65, 1989 Dahon Getaway V

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1359 Post(s)
Liked 1,658 Times in 822 Posts
Originally Posted by Moe Zhoost
It took me a while (weeks) to figure out my helmet mirror, but once I did I realized how much more effective they can be. I found (and this sounds counter-intuitive) that if I mounted the mirror so that it was closer to my eye. I moved the mount point to the rear of my helmet to effectively reduce the arm length, but not so much that I lost the angle necessary to see around my helmet. My old eyes won't focus on anything that's less than 2 feet away, but I have no issue looking at the distance reflected off a mirror only 2" away.
You know, now that you mention it, after my first Take-A-Look mirror, I've used the shorter version. I forgot, because it's been a while. It's better closer for me, too.
Old 07-30-19, 09:26 AM
Brett A
Word.

Bikes: Surly Disc Trucker, Orbea Oiz XCountry Bike, Specialized Roubaix, Borealis Echo Fat Bike for Winter, many others out in the barn.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked 99 Times in 51 Posts
... I am doing lots of off road, and handlebar mirrors last about 2 seconds in the brush. Of course to get to the brush, I have to take some roadways, so I want a mirror.

But I just cannot seem to focus on a little quarter, 3-4 inches in front of my face. It just don't work.
I couldn't make a helmet/eyeglass mirror work for me either. Similarly, it was too damn close to me face. I now use a glass mirror that straps onto my left brake leaver with Velcro (I have drop bars). Would it work to get a mrror that's easy to take off wen you don't need it? Then I suppose you'd have a storage issue....
Old 08-01-19, 04:09 AM
genec
genec

Originally Posted by Brett A
I couldn't make a helmet/eyeglass mirror work for me either. Similarly, it was too damn close to me face. I now use a glass mirror that straps onto my left brake leaver with Velcro (I have drop bars). Would it work to get a mrror that's easy to take off wen you don't need it? Then I suppose you'd have a storage issue....
Velcro would be nice... but not sure how it might work on my flat bar mountain bike. This is a trails bike actually a Giant Trance X2. Full suspension. Wonderful ride for the on and off sidewalk, roadways, path, and trails riding I am doing right now. My only disappointment is that it does not have a lockout rear shock... means if I don't do it just right, getting out of the saddle to accelerate is just absorbed by the shock.

My favorite mirror for my other flat bar bike (my heavy duty "commuter") is the Mirrycle mirror. The darn thing is perfect... and yeah, I've snapped it off a few time going through a narrow gateway... I replace them ASAP. It is a great mirror.

I'd love to find a velcro version... I'd probably just strap it to the center of the bars when not in use out on the left grip. I've been going without a mirror as of late... and avoiding the open road for the most part, due to the availability of paths and "sidewalks." The streets I am riding right now are about 25-30MPH roads... and I'm just looking back.

I would NEVER have commuted without a mirror... I was always on 45 and 55MPH roads... and keeping awareness of all the traffic around me required a mirror.
Old 08-01-19, 08:34 AM
Brett A
Word.

Bikes: Surly Disc Trucker, Orbea Oiz XCountry Bike, Specialized Roubaix, Borealis Echo Fat Bike for Winter, many others out in the barn.

Velcro would be nice... but not sure how it might work on my flat bar mountain bike.
Here's the flat bar version of the Blackburn mirror I have. In both versions, the Velcro wraps where your hand goes on the bar, but I don't mind that and don't really notice it after a fw minutes of riding.

Link:
https://www.performancebike.com/blac...041498/p380736

Old 08-01-19, 12:56 PM
genec
genec

Here's the flat bar version of the Blackburn mirror I have. In both versions, the Velcro wraps where your hand goes on the bar, but I don't mind that and don't really notice it after a fw minutes of riding.

Link:

Hey, is this a flat mirror... not convex? If so, I may have found my next mirror.

Or rather, you found it. Thanks.
Old 08-01-19, 01:51 PM
Brett A
Word.

Hey, is this a flat mirror... not convex? If so, I may have found my next mirror.

Or rather, you found it. Thanks.
The mirror is flat. It's large enough for a full view of the road behind you. The glass and mirror surface are very good; clear and durable. I've had mine for two years and about 2,000 miles of touring, taking it on and off and having it bounce around in my handlebar bag when not in use and it doesn't have a scratch on it. Another good thing about the Velcro is that it's easy to take off when my bike is just leaning on the porch. It can't get torn off if it's not on the bike.

One thing about it though is since it is a real piece of glass (which has some mass to it), it tends to vibrate itself out of adjustment over prolonged bumpy sections of road. But that's rare in the riding I do. And it never goes out of adjustment enough not to be useful. You can see in the picture it has a ring between the accordion boot and the mirror frame that can tighten down on the ball socket to keep it set where you want it. If you screw that down good and hard, it takes quite a bit of jarring to make it budge.

Last edited by Brett A; 08-01-19 at 02:26 PM.
Old 08-01-19, 06:38 PM
genec
genec

The mirror is flat. It's large enough for a full view of the road behind you. The glass and mirror surface are very good; clear and durable. I've had mine for two years and about 2,000 miles of touring, taking it on and off and having it bounce around in my handlebar bag when not in use and it doesn't have a scratch on it. Another good thing about the Velcro is that it's easy to take off when my bike is just leaning on the porch. It can't get torn off if it's not on the bike.

One thing about it though is since it is a real piece of glass (which has some mass to it), it tends to vibrate itself out of adjustment over prolonged bumpy sections of road. But that's rare in the riding I do. And it never goes out of adjustment enough not to be useful. You can see in the picture it has a ring between the accordion boot and the mirror frame that can tighten down on the ball socket to keep it set where you want it. If you screw that down good and hard, it takes quite a bit of jarring to make it budge.
I bet a bit of bungie cord would add that extra tightness...
Old 08-01-19, 07:36 PM
bobwysiwyg

Bikes: Mongoose Selous, Trek DS

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 941 Post(s)
Liked 319 Times in 189 Posts
Initially tried the Take-a-Look several years ago. At that time, didn't care for it and switched to EVT Safe Zone Mirror, or similar. Over time, didn't care f o r how much view it blocked to my left.

Because of this thread, tried the Take-a-Look again. I like it. I do forget it's there occasionally and a hand movement, such as wiping my brow, knocks it out of alignment. Learning though.
Old 08-03-19, 07:53 AM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2731 Post(s)
Liked 3,358 Times in 2,034 Posts
Pull it off when you get to the trail

https://www.ebay.com/p/Axiom-Fastfla...nid=1907933686
Old 08-09-19, 02:15 PM
Milton Keynes

Bikes: Trek 1100 road bike, Roadmaster gravel/commuter/beater mountain bike

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 2281 Post(s)
Liked 1,710 Times in 936 Posts
I'm awfully nearsighted, but I took to a helmet mirror quite easily. I'm constantly looking in the mirror to see if anyone's behind me. And more than once while walking, I've looked up and to the left to see if anyone was behind me before getting ready to cross the street, only to realize that I was walking, not riding, and wasn't wearing my helmet with mounted mirror.
Old 08-10-19, 08:16 AM
OldTryGuy

Bikes: Day6 Semi Recumbent "FIREBALL", 1981 Custom Touring Paramount, 1983 Road Paramount, 2013 Giant Propel Advanced SL3, 2018 Specialized Red Roubaix Expert mech., 2002 Magna 7sp hybrid, 1976 Bassett Racing 45sp Cruiser

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1063 Post(s)
Liked 771 Times in 499 Posts
NO-LINE Progressive Tri Focal glasses and have used the following mirror for longer than I can remember. I mount it reversed - upside down - and it works great.

https://www.amazon.com/CycleAware-He.../dp/B000UVCP52

Plus I like that it is all plastic.
Old 08-26-19, 03:41 AM
genec
genec

Link:

Finally got this mirror... WORKS GREAT!

Not really a bother with hand position. And due to the grips I use, it really hangs on. Works quite well. Far better than any helmet mirror... for me. Those may work for others, or I never found the right one.

This DOES work... for me.

Thanks for the recommendation.

Bottom line... use what works, but use a mirror in traffic.
Old 09-03-19, 05:46 AM
Chris0516

Bikes: 2003 (24)20-Speed Specialized Allez'

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 396 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
But I just cannot seem to focus on a little quarter, 3-4 inches in front of my face. It just don't work.
This is the very reason I don't use a mirror. My family was so sure a handlebar mirror would work. I showed them that, a mirror couldn't attach to my handlebars. Then they wanted to use a mirror on my helmet. I had to show them that, a helmet mirror would not only be, like trying to focus on something the diameter of a penny. But also, the movement of the mirror would be seen in my peripheral vision. Causing it to become a real distraction. Not something, I want to try to get used to in traffic.
Old 09-03-19, 06:06 AM
genec
genec

Originally Posted by Chris0516
This is the very reason I don't use a mirror. My family was so sure a handlebar mirror would work. I showed them that, a mirror couldn't attach to my handlebars. Then they wanted to use a mirror on my helmet. I had to show them that, a helmet mirror would not only be, like trying to focus on something the diameter of a penny. But also, the movement of the mirror would be seen in my peripheral vision. Causing it to become a real distraction. Not something, I want to try to get used to in traffic.
Your choice.

I find a mirror very handy... I just could not get used to a helmet mounted mirror. Handlebar mirrors work fine for me. I have found a very suitable solution.

I am not going to convince you to use a mirror... good luck.
Old 09-03-19, 06:15 AM
Chris0516

Bikes: 2003 (24)20-Speed Specialized Allez'

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 396 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Your choice.

I find a mirror very handy... I just could not get used to a helmet mounted mirror. Handlebar mirrors work fine for me. I have found a very suitable solution.

I am not going to convince you to use a mirror... good luck.
I haven't seen a handlebar mirror. That works with curved handlebars. So, I just use my eyes n' ears.
Old 09-03-19, 06:21 AM
genec
genec

Originally Posted by Chris0516
I haven't seen a handlebar mirror. That works with curved handlebars. So, I just use my eyes n' ears.
"curved handlebars?" As in drop bars, mustache bars, or longhorn steer bars... don't know what you mean by "curved bars."

But I do suspect that a suitable mirror is available... if you desire to use one, you will find it.
Old 09-04-19, 02:36 PM
MNebiker

Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked 152 Times in 83 Posts
Back in the 80s I bought a "Third Eye" helmet mounted mirror and was generally pleased with it. But last week I encountered a swarm of gnats on the trail and as I swatted them away from my face I also swatted away the mirror, and destroyed it. After 30+years it was like I lost an old friend . . . .

I looked at possible replacements, decided to try the "Take-a-Look" mirror, and after the first ride I am sold on it. Far better field of vision and much more stable than the helmet mount. The old mirror would vibrate and sometimes shift out of place on larger bumps. It will take a bit of getting used to attaching it to my glasses each time but I like the result.
Likes For MNebiker:
Old 09-04-19, 04:34 PM
Miele Man

Bikes: iele Latina, Miele Suprema, Miele Uno LS, Miele Miele Beta, MMTB, Bianchi Model Unknown, Fiori Venezia, Fiori Napoli, VeloSport Adamas AX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1324 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 640 Posts
Originally Posted by MNebiker
Back in the 80s I bought a "Third Eye" helmet mounted mirror and was generally pleased with it. But last week I encountered a swarm of gnats on the trail and as I swatted them away from my face I also swatted away the mirror, and destroyed it. After 30+years it was like I lost an old friend . . . .

I looked at possible replacements, decided to try the "Take-a-Look" mirror, and after the first ride I am sold on it. Far better field of vision and much more stable than the helmet mount. The old mirror would vibrate and sometimes shift out of place on larger bumps. It will take a bit of getting used to attaching it to my glasses each time but I like the result.
I second the Take-a-look mirror. I too used to use a helmet mounted mirror. I like the Take-a-look when it's mounted on my glasses or sunglasses due to the far less wobble. Btw, a Take-a-look mirror can be mounted on a helmet visor but I found that it vibrated a lot more and could slip off. I used a zip-tie to hold mine in place after it fell off once whilst I was riding on what would have been a very busy road if earlier or later in the day. I was able to recover the mirror and then I put it on my sunglasses instead of the helmet visor.

Cheers

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.