Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

New Shoes !!

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-22, 09:14 AM
Rdmonster69
Shawn of the Dead

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 277 Post(s)
Liked 448 Times in 216 Posts
New Shoes !!

I have my Dura Ace cleats on my old shoes. My carbon bike has Time pedals so it was a great reason to get new shoes . Never had a pair this nice !!

FIZIK Tempo Overcurve ..... these 3 tubes and a couple bottles of orange sealant. Could have bought a Wal Mart bike for that amount Lol.
Likes For Rdmonster69:
Old 03-05-22, 10:20 AM
Kedosto
Callipygian Connoisseur

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 564 Post(s)
Liked 350 Times in 190 Posts
You know you’re in deep when you have a pair of shoes for each bike. Adding something new into the mix that fits and functions well is one of life’s simple pleasures.
Likes For Kedosto:
Old 03-05-22, 10:48 AM
sdmc530
Heft On Wheels

Bikes: Specialized,Cannondale,Argon 18

Quoted: 887 Post(s)
Liked 560 Times in 346 Posts
Its awesome getting new kicks
Old 03-06-22, 02:47 PM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4386 Post(s)
Liked 4,827 Times in 2,983 Posts
Yeah those are really nice shoes. Superbly comfortable. I liked them so much I bought a second pair in a different colour.
But I then got curious about their top tier shoes and since I had a good discount voucher I recently bought these - Vento Infinito Knit Carbon 2

Stiffer soles and even more breathable uppers. Fit is the same, but a little more precise with the second boa. Worth all the extra cash? Not really, but I just had to scratch that itch!

Enjoy!
Old 03-06-22, 03:10 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18397 Post(s)
Liked 15,493 Times in 7,316 Posts
Ample toe box?
Old 03-23-22, 07:02 PM
cyclezen
OM boy

Bikes: a bunch

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 504 Post(s)
Liked 631 Times in 430 Posts
Reviving !
New Shoes are always a special thing!
Especially for cycling shoes!
Especially when they bring back memories, of younger days, riding way too much, racing way too much, enjoying life way too much !!!
Just ordered a Pair of Adidas -The Road Cycling shoe - Adidas Online store

Adidas - The Road Cycling Shoe
Not high-end stuff - but prolly great for everyday cycling, along with my Sidis.
marked down in the online store from $150 to $90 - added current "EXTRA20" code and they're coming to my door for $82. ttl (sales tax & $5 shipping included)
Laces!
Reminds me of Adidas Merckx shoes from the 70's, with nail-on cleats - always had 3 pair - main pair, backup, and 'rain' pair.
If true to Adidas Fit, they will be comfy for normal to narrow fit, not recommended for wide feet !!!
Stoked ! The New Season starts in nice 'Fashion" !
Likes For cyclezen:
Old 03-24-22, 08:09 AM
sbrudno

Bikes: Motobecane Grand Record, Motobecane Super Mirage (3x5 speeds), Motobecane Mirage, Atala (unknown model), Peugeot mixte frame Tourist and Schwinn Sport. A bunch more kids bikes. Most recently a Trek Verve One, tricked up for serious touring.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked 43 Times in 27 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
Ample toe box?
As a senior and with a significant bunion (hallux valgus) I need more space in my shoes. What cycling shoes are more accommodating for an enlarged toe box?
Thanks
Old 03-24-22, 08:42 AM
Fredo76
The Wheezing Geezer

Bikes: 1976 Fredo Speciale, Jamis Citizen 1, Ellis-Briggs FAVORI, Rivendell Clem Smith Jr.

Quoted: 411 Post(s)
Liked 896 Times in 440 Posts
I am finding that some $30-60 budget shoes presumably from China fit me just fine, and seem well made, too. I have one pair for SPD cleats, another pair that I will mount old-fashioned cleats to, and yet another pair coming with a Rubber Soul, for cleatless toe-clip pedaling. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B09TGLFWHR...roduct_details

Imelda Marcos had nothing on me!
Old 03-24-22, 08:47 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18397 Post(s)
Liked 15,493 Times in 7,316 Posts
Originally Posted by sbrudno
As a senior and with a significant bunion (hallux valgus) I need more space in my shoes. What cycling shoes are more accommodating for an enlarged toe box?
Thanks
IIRC, Sidi is generally pretty good, and they make a "Mega" version of some models:

SIDI MEGA: PERFORMANCE AND EXTRA COMFORT - Sidi Sport S.r.l.
Old 03-24-22, 10:37 AM
Rdmonster69
Shawn of the Dead

Originally Posted by indyfabz
Ample toe box?
I have plenty of toe room but also a fairly narrow foot. I wore them the other day with really thin socks and they did not seem as comfortable so I will have to remember that. Otherwise I feel they were worth the money. The Boa system is quite adjustable so it should accommodate a bigger foot too.
Old 03-24-22, 11:14 AM
KJ43
Dead but dreaming

Bikes: 2020 Santa Cruz Stigmata, 2022 Cannondale Synapse

Quoted: 171 Post(s)
Liked 326 Times in 186 Posts
Thanks
I have the S-Works Recon and there is plenty of room. They have a wide version as well if your feet need the extra room.
Old 03-24-22, 07:31 PM
rosefarts
With a mighty wind

Quoted: 1086 Post(s)
Liked 858 Times in 487 Posts
Originally Posted by Rdmonster69
I have my Dura Ace cleats on my old shoes. My carbon bike has Time pedals so it was a great reason to get new shoes . Never had a pair this nice !!

FIZIK Tempo Overcurve ..... these 3 tubes and a couple bottles of orange sealant. Could have bought a Wal Mart bike for that amount Lol.
Next upgrade, new couch.
Likes For rosefarts:
Old 03-25-22, 04:52 PM
Calsun
Banned

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 608 Post(s)
Liked 382 Times in 288 Posts
When I find something I like I have learned to buy a second or third one as in the future it is likely to be discontinued or "improved" and not nearly as good. I bought Scarpa hiking boots and loved them and went to buy a backup pair and found they were being discontinued so I searched around and bought 2 pairs. With leather shoes and boots it pays to rotate them and not wear the same pair day after day but to give them time to dry out completely.

Bought a pair of Giro Cadet shoes last year and they are the closest I could find to my old Italian full leather race shoes that only work with toe clips. Very impressed by the design and build quality from this small California company.
Old 03-27-22, 07:51 AM
sbrudno

Bikes: Motobecane Grand Record, Motobecane Super Mirage (3x5 speeds), Motobecane Mirage, Atala (unknown model), Peugeot mixte frame Tourist and Schwinn Sport. A bunch more kids bikes. Most recently a Trek Verve One, tricked up for serious touring.

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked 43 Times in 27 Posts
$425.00 !!! That is a bit steep. I think I will go to toe clips and wider sneakers. But thanks...
Old 03-28-22, 07:19 AM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4386 Post(s)
Liked 4,827 Times in 2,983 Posts
$425.00 !!! That is a bit steep. I think I will go to toe clips and wider sneakers. But thanks...
The OP's shoes are around $200 and they have plenty of toe box space, especially the wide-fit version
Old 03-28-22, 07:32 AM
Rdmonster69
Shawn of the Dead

Originally Posted by rosefarts
Next upgrade, new couch.

Lol , That's the hassock and its been reupholstered many times. Our animals destroy it on the regular and my wife keeps recovering it.
Likes For Rdmonster69:
Old 03-28-22, 09:27 AM
cyclezen
OM boy

Bikes: a bunch

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 504 Post(s)
Liked 631 Times in 430 Posts
Originally Posted by Rdmonster69
Lol , That's the hassock and its been reupholstered many times. Our animals destroy it on the regular and my wife keeps recovering it.
LOL! when I saw your pic/post - I was thinkin the dog needs it's nails clipped... or longer walks...
...like, people walk into our house and wonder why all the furniture is covered with fleece throws...

How about a Hug!
our Maine Coon and the black cat (the queen of all she surveys...) have quite some meat hooks and both enjoy our furniture ! LOL!

time to recover the scratching post... again... and again... and again... Placating the 'Putin' in Katzen... LOL!

thumbs up to your wife's persistence !
Ride On
Yuri
Old 03-28-22, 12:44 PM
Calsun
Banned

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 608 Post(s)
Liked 382 Times in 288 Posts
Price is relative. A good pair of road shoes can last 20 years and work on any bike one owns or buys in the future. I paid $30 for my first pair of bike shoes from Italy back when the minimum wage was $1.70 an hour. In today's inflated dollars those shoes would cost $450. We pay $150 as a result of shoe companies using factories in communist gulags with what amounts to slave labor.
Old 03-28-22, 01:00 PM
Rdmonster69
Shawn of the Dead

Originally Posted by Calsun
Price is relative.
So true , I do stupid stuff with my money all the time. I drink beer and eat in restaurants at exorbitant prices because I want to. I buy bike shoes that are expensive because I want to. I "waste" stupid sums of money on bikes and motorcycles and gear. I waste even more on high performance parts and accessories. I do this because I can afford to or else I wouldn't. If bikes were my only thing I might spend $450 on shoes.
Old 03-29-22, 01:35 AM
Chrisyang

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 5 Posts
keep real man!