Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Just bought my daughter a Supersix EVO.

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Old 06-12-22, 03:28 PM
zacster

Bikes: Kuota Kredo/Chorus, Trek 7000 commuter, Trek 8000 MTB and a few others

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 456 Times in 358 Posts

She’ll have a better bike than I do.

I had bought her a nice Specialized Dolce Vita when she was a young teen in a 44 size but she outgrew it. I should have known better but she rode it until she started complaining recently that it was too small. I’m going to transfer the parts and then sell the Vita frame as small frames are hard to find. In the end she’ll have a pretty nice bike with 105 10sp on it. What makes it hard to do now is that all new frames are disk brake and thru axle, neither of which her current components have, and a new bike would cost 4x what I just paid for a downgraded component set.
Likes For zacster:
Old 06-12-22, 05:54 PM
primov8

Bikes: State Bicycle Co. Undefeated Track SS/FG, Lynskey Helix-Bronze

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked 203 Times in 95 Posts
I was in the same boat... x 2. Our oldest is 15yrs old and he's currently 5'9, followed by our 13yr old daughter at 5'3. His first bike was a Motobecanne hybrid and my daughter out grew the Scott JR24 Speedster she was riding for a couple years. I lucked out on eBay and found some great NOS Felt carbon framesets this past winter; a FR Team frameset for my son and a ZW for my daughter. Both bikes ended up with a mix of 105 R7000 and Praxis (my go to cranks) and since both builds required disc brakes, I went with Juin Tech F1 calipers which are hydraulic-cable pulled brakes. For the wheels, nothing too expensive and opted for the DT Swiss R500 105, 32 spokes F/R and tubeless ready. Last I checked, Velomine still has them on sale too.
Old 06-12-22, 06:19 PM
zacster

The one thing I need to buy will be a BB30 BB and crank. The seller is saying in the posting that this bike was his daughter's as well and she outgrew it so maybe he got the next size up C'Dale and took all the parts including the BB.

The Specialized she has has an English threaded BB I believe like all of the other bikes in the family.
Old 06-13-22, 12:47 AM
Camilo

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1107 Post(s)
Liked 1,197 Times in 758 Posts
Originally Posted by zacster
The one thing I need to buy will be a BB30 BB and crank. The seller is saying in the posting that this bike was his daughter's as well and she outgrew it so maybe he got the next size up C'Dale and took all the parts including the BB.

The Specialized she has has an English threaded BB I believe like all of the other bikes in the family.
I don't know what your experience or luck has been with PF30, but I have done a couple in the past few years. I used screw together BB's for both - one is a Praxis BB, the other Wheels Manufacturing. Check them out and take your pick if you're looking for something like that. They both work and are fairly easy installation.
Old 06-15-22, 06:07 AM
zacster

The only BB I've ever done myself is a Campy UT English thread. That was easy as it is only the cups that are on the frame. The bearings are on the spindle. I even have the bearing tool for it. I wonder if I can make it work to press in the PF30 bearing since all those tools are screws. When I rebuilt the bearings in my wheels I remember I just used the QR as a bearing press and it worked beatuifully. They just need to apply even pressure.

I've been looking at the various types and I like the look of the Praxis. So my next question is what cranks work with that?
Old 06-15-22, 07:41 PM
primov8

If you decide to go with any of the Praxis M-series BB30/PF30 bottom brackets, they have options for just about the majority of cranksets available. The only crankset to avoid would be a native BB30 crankset because the spindle length is shorter and wouldn't work with these bottom brackets.
Old 06-16-22, 05:35 PM
zacster

I was looking at Praxis and they are out of stock on almost everything. She probably needs a 165 crank arm, and a 50/34 compact although what she has now is a 53/39. She isn't a serious rider so it wont matter too much. These get expensive pretty fast and the Praxis seemed reasonable. Maybe I'll get a new BB and then find a used crank but of course you need to get the right BB for the crank, or is it the other way? There are too many variations now.

This will be one nice bike for a not serious rider. When I asked if she wanted another road bike as a replacement she didnt hesitate to say yes.

Edit: In looking for cranks, there isn't much stock out there but Shimano 105 is available in that size. Would that crank with a Praxis BB30/PF30/Shimano BB be a good option?

And another question: Do I need to buy the tools for the BB install? It says I need a left and right hand cup tool but I saw somewhere they are included because who would actually have or need those otherwise? Or is it a standard size I can get from Park? The Praxis website has tools, but not for the Shimano conversion BBs.

Last edited by zacster; 06-16-22 at 06:39 PM.
Old 06-16-22, 08:28 PM
primov8

If you opt for the 105 crank, the M24 BB30/PF30 bottom bracket is what you'll need. No proprietary Praxis bb tool needed (only for the M30 bb kits), just the standard 16 notch bb tool.
Old 06-17-22, 05:27 AM
zacster

Originally Posted by primov8
If you opt for the 105 crank, the M24 BB30/PF30 bottom bracket is what you'll need. No proprietary Praxis bb tool needed (only for the M30 bb kits), just the standard 16 notch bb tool.
Thanks. I have one 16 notch tool, if I need two I'll get another.
Old 06-20-22, 05:45 PM
zacster

The frame arrived today and it is beautiful! There is only one mark on it from tire rub otherwise it is completely clean. Even the chain stay is clean. Now the twin sisters can ride their Cannondales together, the other is a late 80s aluminum one, before they cantilevered the dropouts. If it weren't for the fact that I can't ride at all now due to a knee problem I'd look for something nice like that for myself, not that my Kuota Kredo isn't a nice ride too. When I bought her the original Specialized she has, I thought I got a great deal, $500 for a 105 equipped Specialized that was listed as used but was actually new with the tags still on it. It was probably an overstock from the prior year. But this beats it.

I'll post pics when I get a chance.

Last edited by zacster; 06-20-22 at 07:59 PM.
Old 07-11-22, 03:06 PM
zacster

I finally got it all together today and it is beautiful. I took it for a ride and it rides much better than my own bike. I just wish I were in better shape to really explode on it. I've been off the bike with a torn meniscus but it felt OK to ride it.

I ended up with the Praxis PF30/Shimano BB, a 105 11sp crank, a 105 11sp FD, and the rest is 105 9sp from the Specialized she had, including the wheels. The chain is a KMC 10sp and they all just work together without issue. I watched videos on all the fine adjustments and the shifting is silent and smooth. I had two issues on the shake-out ride though. The front brake cable or housing settled and I had to tighten that, and the headset had a little play in it that I couldn't just tighten out. The cap was bottoming out on the fork tube, not the headset. I added another spacer when I got home and all is good.

Likes For zacster:
Old 08-01-22, 02:38 PM
zacster

I was just on eBay out of curiosity if I could find a nice frame for myself since this one rides so nicely, and what I found is that I may have gotten the bargain of the year on the one I have. I only paid $600 for it, everything I see is like $1200-$1500. This one didn't have a scratch on it either and looks like it was hardly used. Sometimes I get lucky.

Since I took that pic I've shortened the shifter housing a bit up front. It was too long.
Old 08-02-22, 07:53 AM
primov8

You definitely got a great bargain on that frameset. The finished build looks great and I'm sure your daughter is going to love riding that bike.