Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Compatible with 105 brakes

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-22, 03:23 PM
Helderberg

Bikes: Had an old Columbia in the 80's, here a used Schwinn hybrid, now a Cannondale Quick 3 and a Topstone 105..

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 249 Post(s)
Liked 306 Times in 139 Posts

I am going to convert my drop bar gravel bike to a flat bar bike. It is a 105 11 speed with 105 hydraulic brakes. I have, what I believe to be, the correct shifters for a flat bar with Shimano Shift levers RS700 dbl 11 sp Flat Bar. What I am having a problem with is the brake levers. What lever set would be compatible with the 105 calipers? Thank you in advance.
Frank.
Old 08-10-22, 03:40 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6178 Post(s)
Liked 4,795 Times in 3,307 Posts
Find the model and part number for your brakes. It's on them somewhere. Probably the backside or down on the mount. Then go to Page C-499 of this document. If your model numbers are out of production then you might have to go to the archives which is a link in the top right of the document.

https://productinfo.shimano.com/#/co...737&acid=C-499

Your brake PN should be in the last column. The shift levers will be in the second column. Make sure there is a line connecting the box with your brake model to the hoses and then to the levers.

This document and others can be found at

https://si.shimano.com/en/#/

If you are wanting something other than Shimano, someone else will have to say. Microshift usually has stuff that works.

Last edited by Iride01; 08-10-22 at 03:44 PM.
Likes For Iride01:
Old 08-10-22, 04:49 PM
Helderberg

Bikes: Had an old Columbia in the 80's, here a used Schwinn hybrid, now a Cannondale Quick 3 and a Topstone 105..

Originally Posted by Iride01
Find the model and part number for your brakes. It's on them somewhere. Probably the backside or down on the mount. Then go to Page C-499 of this document. If your model numbers are out of production then you might have to go to the archives which is a link in the top right of the document.

https://productinfo.shimano.com/#/co...737&acid=C-499

Your brake PN should be in the last column. The shift levers will be in the second column. Make sure there is a line connecting the box with your brake model to the hoses and then to the levers.

This document and others can be found at

https://si.shimano.com/en/#/

If you are wanting something other than Shimano, someone else will have to say. Microshift usually has stuff that works.
Thank you for this. I will look for the part numbers and find the necessary parts. Is Microshift a decent quality piece? I have no experience with that brand.
My biggest concern is that the brake levers will retract the pistons.
Thanks again, Frank.
Old 08-10-22, 05:06 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

https://www.microshift.com/ has been around awhile. They seem to have a decent enough reputation. And for very old Shimano stuff that you can't fix or find, Microshift will have compatible stuff that will usually work with the other remaining Shimano components.

But I've never had the occasion to use them for anything that I can remember. Seems they make some stuff that is fairly higher end too but inexpensive. If I had to, I might trust them more than any of the other inexpensive options offered on Amazon or AliExpress.
Likes For Iride01:
Old 08-11-22, 09:15 AM
Helderberg

I am having a problem trying to confirm what flat bar brake lever will work with the 105 calipers. I have found Shimano BL-M8000 Deore XT Brake Levers but can't find any information about if they will work with my series 7000 105 calipers.
Any help would be very much appreciated. I tried to find this on the charts suggested earlier but I am not familiar enough to be confident in what I think I am reading.
Thanks in advance, Frank.
Old 08-11-22, 09:46 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

I'm thinking it's not. The hose compatible with each are not the same. I didn't realize what I was showing you was only listing a sub-brake lever which is intended for using in addition to the STI on drop bars bikes.

Certainly someone familiar with the subject will chime in soon. Otherwise it is the blind leading the blind. <grin>
Likes For Iride01:
Old 08-11-22, 10:17 AM
Bike Gremlin
Mostly harmless ™

Bikes: Heavy, with friction shifters

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1107 Post(s)
Liked 216 Times in 130 Posts
Until someone who'se done it chimes in (and corrects me if I'm wrong):

I haven't tried, but I'd expect Shimano BL-RS600 to work.
https://bike.shimano.com/en-EU/produ.../BL-RS600.html

Safest bet is to check with a local bike shop (supporting it by purchasing there, and confirming it's compatible).
Likes For Bike Gremlin:
Old 08-12-22, 06:35 PM
sweeks

Bikes: Airborne "Carpe Diem", Motobecane "Mirage", Trek 6000, Strida 2, Dahon "Helios XL", Dahon "Mu XL", Tern "Verge S11i"

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 980 Post(s)
Liked 580 Times in 398 Posts
Originally Posted by Iride01
https://www.microshift.com/ has been around awhile. They seem to have a decent enough reputation.
I recently bought an 8-speed MicroShift trigger-shifter to replace a Shimano unit controlling a Nexus 8-speed hub. It works very well, but the red indicator needle jumps all over the place as if it's loose or disconnected inside the housing. It's not a big deal, but it is a bit disappointing. I have no other experience with MicroShift products.
Likes For sweeks: