Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+) > Pills and Ills
Reload this Page >

Going out for a ride before colonoscopy prep

Notices
Pills and Ills This is a discussion subforum for the health challenges faced by riders 50+. These discussions are in no way to be considered professional medical advice.

Old 07-15-22, 11:17 AM
jskash

Bikes: 2021 Specialized Sirrus 6 and 2018 Giant Escape Disc

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked 38 Times in 26 Posts

I have a colonoscopy scheduled in a couple of weeks. Has anyone gone out for a ride the day the prep takes place? I can see the pros and cons. The pros, at least I would get a ride in for the day before the fun of the prep starts. The cons, not having any solid food for the day might be harder because of the calories burned during the ride. Thoughts?
Old 07-15-22, 11:18 AM
zandoval 

Bikes: Univega, Peu P6, Peu PR-10, Ted Williams, Peu UO-8, Peu UO-18 Mixte, Peu Dolomites

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 928 Post(s)
Liked 1,594 Times in 1,020 Posts
Hope everything comes out alright!
Old 07-15-22, 11:48 AM
FBOATSB

Bikes: Old Stuff

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 912 Post(s)
Liked 514 Times in 343 Posts
All you can eat Jello! FTW!
Old 07-15-22, 11:53 AM
himespau 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 4194 Post(s)
Liked 2,911 Times in 1,780 Posts
Short ride? Probably no big deal. Monster ride? Maybe an issue. Do gels count as breaking the fast? I can't remember. I did a hard ride the day after the colonoscopy without much issue. But, other than that, some embarrassing things I said to the nurse as I came out of my anesthesia, and the hell of the prep, my memories of the whole ordeal are pretty foggy (and it was just a year ago).
Likes For himespau:
Old 07-15-22, 11:55 AM
DiabloScott
It's MY mountain

Bikes: Klein, Merckx, Trek

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quoted: 4310 Post(s)
Liked 2,953 Times in 1,601 Posts
Originally Posted by jskash
I have a colonoscopy scheduled in a couple of weeks. Has anyone gone out for a ride the day the prep takes place? I can see the pros and cons. The pros, at least I would get a ride in for the day before the fun of the prep starts. The cons, not having any solid food for the day might be harder because of the calories burned during the ride. Thoughts?
I don't remember... but if I were thinking of this, I'd try it today and see how hungry you get. I don't think the "medicine" makes you hungrier, so if you can not eat after your ride until halfway through tomorrow, you should be OK. Go through the whole schedule like it's the real thing, and if you can't do it today, you won't want to do it in a couple weeks either.
Likes For DiabloScott:
Old 07-15-22, 12:09 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 128 Post(s)
Quoted: 4741 Post(s)
Liked 3,860 Times in 2,509 Posts
My biggest concern would be staying good and hydrated for the best possible exam outcome. Other than that, maybe do a ride with a bail out option in case you feel bad.
Likes For 79pmooney:
Old 07-15-22, 12:16 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 6099 Post(s)
Liked 4,730 Times in 3,260 Posts
I probably wouldn't do the longest and hardest ride of my life before starting the prep.

If you are just going for whatever your typical <90 minute medium effort ride is then no issue. I've been there and done that.

No anesthesia either. That way I can watch live what the doctor is seeing inside me. Even the doctor chuckled last time when he came across a watermelon seed.
Likes For Iride01:
Old 07-15-22, 05:45 PM
jskash

Thank for the reply. My typical ride is 2 hours, but I could cut it down to 90 minutes. Mind you, I don't ride very fast. 12 mph on a good day on my Specialized Sirrus 6.

Kaiser does not have an option to not get anesthesia. I actually would like to see what the doctor is seeing.
Old 07-16-22, 07:10 AM
FBOATSB

Bikes: Old Stuff

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 912 Post(s)
Liked 514 Times in 343 Posts

Kaiser does not have an option to not get anesthesia. I actually would like to see what the doctor is seeing.
I've had three so far, and about due for another. The Doc has always given me 8 1/2 X 11 print outs of screen shots from a video of any pertinent images. I've had polyps snipped in the first one, if I recall correctly. There should be a video?
All of my radiology over the years goes on cloud servers for all the Docs to share as well.
Likes For FBOATSB:
Old 07-16-22, 07:39 AM
BobbyG

Bikes: 2015 Charge Plug, 2007 Dahon Boardwalk, 1997 Nishiki Blazer, 1984 Nishiki International, 2006 Felt F65, 1989 Dahon Getaway V

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1359 Post(s)
Liked 1,658 Times in 822 Posts
I've got my ten year follow up scope coming up. I got severely dehydrated the first time I prepped and had to bail and do it again a week later. That went better.

Why risk any negative consequences and ditch the pre-prep ride.

I got the photos from my first colonoscopy around the same time I got photos from a sewer-line inspection. While it was obvious which was which, they were still disturbingly similar.
Likes For BobbyG:
Old 07-16-22, 09:03 AM
jskash

Originally Posted by FBOATSB
I've had three so far, and about due for another. The Doc has always given me 8 1/2 X 11 print outs of screen shots from a video of any pertinent images. I've had polyps snipped in the first one, if I recall correctly. There should be a video?
All of my radiology over the years goes on cloud servers for all the Docs to share as well.
Thank you for this post. I will ask the doctor if he can share the images with me.
Old 07-16-22, 10:47 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 6099 Post(s)
Liked 4,730 Times in 3,260 Posts
Thank for the reply. My typical ride is 2 hours, but I could cut it down to 90 minutes. Mind you, I don't ride very fast. 12 mph on a good day on my Specialized Sirrus 6.

If a two hour ride is your typical ride, then my <90 minute isn't really a magic number. It's just what my typical ride is during the week. Though if your typical ride is only one ride per week, then maybe it would be a good idea to cut back the time some.

Is this your first colonoscopy? The only really bad part is drinking the prep stuff. And if you do anesthesia, then the annoying recovery time. Without anesthesia, I can walk out as soon as they pull the scope out of me and drive myself home. When awake the procedure itself is only a tad uncomfortable from the air or CO2 they inflate your intestine with. Using CO2 is a little controversial among the GI doctors here, but since the body is made to rid itself of CO2 as fast a possible it's gone from your gut almost as soon as they pull the scope. Unlike when they use air and you have to stay in recovery until you pass that gas in one huge fart.
Old 07-16-22, 11:41 AM
tyrion

Bikes: Velo Orange Piolet

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 2228 Post(s)
Liked 2,011 Times in 972 Posts
Don't ride after you start drinking the Liquid Draino (laxative). You need to be close to a toilet.

IIRC my instructions were to start drinking the Draino 24hrs prior to the procedure (it's about a gallon of stuff you have to get down).
Old 07-17-22, 05:51 AM
jskash

Fortunately, I asked for and received another treatment besides the gallon of ick. It's called Suprep. I still have to drink the same amount of fluid throughout the day before the procedure, but only have to drink one bottle of the Surprep the evening before, and one the next morning.
Old 07-21-22, 11:25 AM
Speedskater

Bikes: Bob Jackson, Trek & Sampson

Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 14 Posts
In the past I have gone inline skating in the park the day before prep. 2 years later, I went ice speedskating practice the evening before prep. No problems.
Old 07-21-22, 11:55 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5218 Post(s)
Liked 3,564 Times in 2,331 Posts
whatever do do before, may I suggest your companion bring you somewhere nice for breakfast or lunch afterwards? Wifey & I have a pact do do this for each other. the 1st 2 for she & I were early, so it was breakfast. her last one, last week, was later, so it was lunch afterwards. she knew a cafe she liked & it had a shady outdoor patio. lovely

best of luck!
Old 07-21-22, 12:11 PM
MNBikeCommuter

Bikes: Cannondale '92 T600 '95 H600 '01 RT1000

Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 80 Posts
I had a half century round trip commute at the time of my colonoscopy. I loaded the pannier with Gatorade and Mountain Dew for the day--enough sugar calories to power the biking plus no chance of dehydrating. The riding went just fine. Of more concern was that I needed to take a laxative pill at work that was supposed to kick in in about four hours. The commute home was two, and I was sure counting on the accuracy of that four hours... At home, the fun really began with a bottle of Mirilax in half a gallon of Gatorade to get the show really moving...

I'm working from home these days so next year's won't have all that pre-prep excitement.
Old 07-25-22, 04:11 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18318 Post(s)
Liked 15,261 Times in 7,219 Posts
Thank you for this post. I will ask the doctor if he can share the images with me.
Yes. Ask for a photo or two. You’ll likely be on your side looking away from the monitor and thus would not be able to watch. And I don’t think you want to be awake while that thing is snaking through your colon.
Old 07-25-22, 06:06 AM
'02 nrs

Bikes: 1938 claud butler,1983 Basso,teledyne titan,teocali super,nrs,1993 stumpjumper fsr,Paramountain,Paramount Buell(sold),4 banger,Zaskar LE,Colnago Master Ibex MTB,1987ish,.etc....

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 787 Post(s)
Liked 2,908 Times in 1,472 Posts
Prep

Originally Posted by FBOATSB
All you can eat Jello! FTW!
Jello also has a chocolate pudding flavor,very filling & did not effect the exam last December.highly recommend trying.
Old 07-25-22, 07:09 AM
himespau 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 4194 Post(s)
Liked 2,911 Times in 1,780 Posts
Posting about chocolate pudding in a colonoscopy thread takes my mind to juvenile places.
Old 07-25-22, 09:17 AM
Chubby715

Bikes: Cervelo R5

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 17 Posts
I had my 3rd colonoscopy back in June. I did my normal ride (90 mins) the day before starting prep. No issues whatsoever with remaining hydrated during the 24 prepping period. I drank mostly Gatorade and white cranberry juice, as well as black coffee (8 oz) before the procedure and felt fine throughout.
Old 07-25-22, 12:03 PM
DiabloScott
It's MY mountain

Bikes: Klein, Merckx, Trek

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quoted: 4310 Post(s)
Liked 2,953 Times in 1,601 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
Yes. Ask for a photo or two. You’ll likely be on your side looking away from the monitor and thus would not be able to watch. And I don’t think you want to be awake while that thing is snaking through your colon.
I didn't get any photos, but the anesthesiologist said sometimes they start to wake you up a little early and I might feel the snake on the way out, which shouldn't be painful but sometimes people freak out.

I don't remember anything until I was in the farting room.
Old 07-25-22, 12:35 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18318 Post(s)
Liked 15,261 Times in 7,219 Posts
Originally Posted by DiabloScott
I didn't get any photos, but the anesthesiologist said sometimes they start to wake you up a little early and I might feel the snake on the way out, which shouldn't be painful but sometimes people freak out.

I don't remember anything until I was in the farting room.
Likely got Propofol. Good stuff. I used to occasionally hang out at happy with anesthesiology resident. He explained that it works fast, wears off fast and has relatively few side effects, like nausea, for most people. The downside is that it has a smaller therapeutic dose window. That, he said, is what made the actions of the doctor who O.D.ed Michael Jackson that much worse.

I have had it for my spinal injections, two colonoscopies and a heart procedure where they shock your heart back into a normal rhythm. Only twice do I remember feeling drowsy before going under. The first time I had it was for a spinal injection. I was wondering if the doc had given me enough because I felt wide awake. The next thing I knew I woke up in the recovery chair. No memory of falling out whatsoever.
Old 07-26-22, 06:13 PM
gringomojado

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 200 Post(s)
Liked 136 Times in 86 Posts

Depends?

gm
Old 07-27-22, 05:36 AM
Joe F

Bikes: Trek Fuel EX-7 29

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 38 Times in 14 Posts
I mountain bike and do an Intermittent Fasting 18:6 lifestyle. I typically ride in the mornings while in a fasted state. I rode as normal the morning of the prep day before my procedure last week. 90min or so in a HIIT like riding pattern. I stayed well hydrated the rest of the day and drank more than I normally would, adding in some electrolytes (Smart Water). The only side effect I had was that I usually eat my daily main meal at around 2PM and was pretty hungry by late afternoon. I started my prep at 4PM with the second round at 8PM. I was "empty" by 9PM'ish and other than still feeling hungry, had a great night's sleep. I had my procedure the following day. I was put under with Propofol. All I remember is being wheeled into the procedure room and then later waking up back in recovery. I took it easy that day, eating a light meal a few hours after I got home. I did fly around the house a bit expelling some residual air. I rode again the next morning with no issues and no decrease in performance. Good for another 7 years!

Last edited by Joe F; 07-27-22 at 05:39 AM.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.