Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Anybody near NW Alabama?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Anybody near NW Alabama?

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-20, 06:28 AM
RH Clark

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 526 Post(s)
Liked 462 Times in 256 Posts
Anybody near NW Alabama?

Hello everyone. I am a 52 year old cycling nut. I just got into cycling 2 years ago, and like everything I do, I am trying to ride this wave as long as far as I can. I currently own more than 10 bikes in various states of repair and perfection. I cycle around 100 miles a week on something. I've been trying to learn all the ins and outs of bicycle mechanics. I've reached the point however where some real hands on help would be great. Just as an example,one project I would like to do is to put a 9 speed cassette on my 26" wheeled 5 speed Schwinn cruiser and change out the single front ring to a smaller narrow wide and use a friction on the bar to control rear derailleur ( Deore 9 speed I would guess is what I need.)

What I would like is to meet someone who likes to tinker and wouldn't mind having a friend. I'm just a normal family man who loves cycling. I'm not a mooch. I'm the kind of friend who knows friendship goes both ways. Nearly feel like I'm filling out a dating profile and it seems a bit weird to ask this way but what the hey.
I'm not looking for free mechanic services. I have 2 local mechanics I like and use. One is a super nice guy just not as experienced on some things as I would like. My other guys is great but right now an appointment takes a couple months for anything. I'm sort of a people person, get along with just about everybody. Hey, if nothing else, if you are close we might trade on some parts.
Old 07-10-20, 06:42 AM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3657 Post(s)
Liked 5,393 Times in 2,738 Posts
Best if you could join a local club or cycling group. Even then it's surprising how few otherwise enthusiastic cyclists are interested in maintaining their bikes much less embarking on projects such as yours.
Old 07-10-20, 07:44 AM
RH Clark

I know man. I feel like the Lone Ranger though where I live. The closest group ride is nearly 2 hours from me one way. I think it just started back since the virus though. Just to clarify, I would like to have a mechanic friend to advise more so than do work for me. I've been putting together basic tools but it would be nice to have a buddy show me how to measure and determine which tools and components I need. You know, somebody to talk bike stuff with and run ideas by.
Old 07-10-20, 02:26 PM
Barry2 
LR÷P=HR

Bikes: 1981 Holdsworth Special, 1993 C-dale MT3000 & 1996 F700CAD3, 2018 Cervelo R3 & 2022 R5, JustGo Runt, Ridley Oval, Kickr Bike 8-)

Quoted: 862 Post(s)
Liked 1,195 Times in 687 Posts
Originally Posted by RH Clark
You know, somebody to talk bike stuff with and run ideas by.
We've all been hanging out here waiting for you to come along and answer our questions.

Oh well

8-)

Barry
Old 07-10-20, 07:14 PM
RH Clark

Originally Posted by Barry2
We've all been hanging out here waiting for you to come along and answer our questions.

Oh well

8-)

Barry
Might seem easy for you Barry but I am really in the boonies. Just to post one picture and ask a question takes me about a half hour of slow connection time. Sort of the " A picture is worth a thousand words" kind of thing. Actually being able to look at and examine something must be worth ten thousand words. I do appreciate all help and advice I get on here and will continue to seek advice. I knew it was a long shot but just wanted to see if anybody here was close to me.
Old 07-10-20, 08:17 PM
Barry2 
LR÷P=HR

Bikes: 1981 Holdsworth Special, 1993 C-dale MT3000 & 1996 F700CAD3, 2018 Cervelo R3 & 2022 R5, JustGo Runt, Ridley Oval, Kickr Bike 8-)

Quoted: 862 Post(s)
Liked 1,195 Times in 687 Posts
RH,
Making friends is never easy and even tougher during these times.
Reducing the resolution of jpg images can make them incredibly small for posting.
Most cameras are overkill for the kind of images we need here.

I find the best place to meet local bikies, is out biking. But that may not apply if you’re that far out there.

all the best

Barry
Likes For Barry2: