Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Are people changing their chains way too often?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Are people changing their chains way too often?

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-21, 05:47 PM
Dancing Skeleton

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 34 Posts
Originally Posted by Sy Reene
Actually, I'm curious on what the consensus is regarding shifting frequency, reliance on fewer rear cogs, or not shifting much at all, and how there's an impact on chain or cassette wear.
For example, a flatlander Floridian.. who, once they're up to speed and cruising their ride in a pretty narrow range, are they experiencing the longest chain life, but the shortest cassette life (less shifting, but most of the miles are spent in 1-2 of the rear cogs). OTOH, someone doing a lot of shifting, using a lot of gears -- does this mean more wear on chain, but much more even distribution of wear on the cassette's cogs?
I think that I benefit from doing a lot of hill climbing and shifting frequently, having eTap definitely makes/allows me to shift more, since it's so easy.
I don't spend too much time in any one combination between the chain rings & cassette.
On a 100 mile ride with 7,200' of climbing I had 60 front shifts and 2650 rear shifts.
Old 10-11-21, 08:54 PM
Steeler_fanatic

Bikes: 2022 Trek Émonda SLR 6 eTap, 2018 Trek Domane ALR 5, 1974 Batavis Tour de l’Europe

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 30 Times in 13 Posts
Based on wear my chains last about 14,000 km (8,700 miles). I thoroughly clean and lube the drive train about every 1,400 km. I am planning on replacing the cassette and chain rings at about 45,000 km (I’m at 43,000 km). I’m just now starting to notice occasional pinging. Your mileage may vary😀
Old 10-11-21, 09:05 PM
BengalCat

Bikes: 50/34, 11-40, 11 Speed

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 142 Post(s)
Liked 73 Times in 52 Posts
Wipe cleaning the chain after each ride adds many miles and quality shifting rides. Every week or so do a thorough clean and lube. When choosing to lube chain select a quality lube from the many different types of lube that match your riding conditions. Surprisingly many experienced cyclists do not know or recognize the last suggestion.
Likes For BengalCat:
Old 10-12-21, 03:07 AM
cjenrick

Quoted: 229 Post(s)
Liked 133 Times in 100 Posts
has anybody mentioned rider weight?

and horsepower too. somebody who does animal sprints every three miles is gonna cook a chain.

my biggest problem with chain skip is due to friction shifters not being torqued up.

save those old chains, you can diy a pair of parktool chain whips for a net gain of 60 smackers.

this is good for 5 more new chains.

let's say you go through 2 chains a year. lets say you are 20 years old and will pedal every day til your 70. that's only 100 chains in your entire lifetime.

enjoy your new chains. because you will miss them when your gone.

i got about 20 chains worth of time left. no big deal to buy that many chains before i go.

Last edited by cjenrick; 10-12-21 at 03:13 AM.
Old 10-12-21, 07:23 AM
bblair

Bikes: Lynskey R230, Trek 5200, 1975 Raleigh Pro, 1973 Falcon ,Trek T50 Tandem and a 1968 Paramount in progress.

Quoted: 379 Post(s)
Liked 394 Times in 233 Posts
I have found that a worn chain flexes a lot laterally, so shifting isn't as crisp. So I replace mine once a year, which is 4-5000 miles and it always measures "just barely" on the shop tool. Part of my annual maintenance ritual, like new shifter cables and tires.

Even though I have an Ultegra drivetrain, my LBS likes SRAM chains and I have stuck with those for the last 5 years. Cheaper too.
Old 10-12-21, 08:21 AM
DaveSSS 

Bikes: Cinelli superstar disc, two Yoeleo R12

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1097 Post(s)
Liked 559 Times in 446 Posts
I use 4 chains in a rotation for each of my SRAM force axs 12 speed bikes. I take a chain off for cleaning about every 600 miles and ride about 5,000 miles per year. By alternating the use of several chains, I don't have to worry about getting new-chain skip and don't have to toss chains at only 0.5% elongation, in an attempt to avoid new-chain skip. I expect to get at least 3,000 miles from each force chain, but it will take quite a while for any of my 8 chains to get that much mileage. One year's worth of riding only uses each chain for around 600 miles. When the chains start getting over 2,000 miles each, I'll have a better idea of how long they'll last.

I use a common 12 inch machinist's rule to measure elongation, without adding roller wear to the measurement. Roller wear can be measured separately with calipers placed between the outer plates of two links. A new chain will measure about 1.200 inch. After 3,000 miles of use, a Campy chain may show very little elongation, but plenty of roller wear. Others will show lots of elongation and roller wear.

I also have a setup to measure elongation over the full length of my 55 inch long chains. It's easy to measure 0.275 inch over that length.
Likes For DaveSSS:
Old 10-12-21, 09:51 AM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4733 Post(s)
Liked 1,532 Times in 1,003 Posts
Originally Posted by cubewheels
Yes I am gullible to sciency automotive ads with all its stupidity but ...
How can you infer stupidity with a product that has "intelligent molecules" ?

Likes For Sy Reene:
Old 10-12-21, 11:45 AM
TREKON

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Old 12-16-21, 07:22 PM
MinnMan

Bikes: 2022 Salsa Beargrease Carbon Deore 11, 2020 Salsa Warbird GRX 600, 2020 Canyon Ultimate CF SLX disc 9.0 Di2, 2020 Catrike Eola, 2016 Masi cxgr, 2011, Felt F3 Ltd, 2010 Trek 2.1, 2009 KHS Flite 220

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 4383 Post(s)
Liked 3,016 Times in 1,865 Posts
Well, I blew it. 2000 miles on an 11 speed chain (Shimano HG-11, if I recall) and checking today -it's well past 0.75%. So I'm gonna need a new cassette too, otherwise the new chain will skip.

Dumb. I knew better but didn't check.
Old 12-16-21, 07:35 PM
jaxgtr

Bikes: Trek Domane SLR 7 AXS, Trek CheckPoint SL7 AXS, Trek Emonda ALR AXS, Trek FX 5 Sport

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 763 Post(s)
Liked 1,731 Times in 1,008 Posts
Originally Posted by MinnMan
Well, I blew it. 2000 miles on an 11 speed chain (Shimano HG-11, if I recall) and checking today -it's well past 0.75%. So I'm gonna need a new cassette too, otherwise the new chain will skip.

Dumb. I knew better but didn't check.
Have you check the cassette to see if the teeth are worn, I can't believe you only got 2k on a chain, and that the cassette is toast. .

Old 12-16-21, 07:59 PM
MinnMan

Bikes: 2022 Salsa Beargrease Carbon Deore 11, 2020 Salsa Warbird GRX 600, 2020 Canyon Ultimate CF SLX disc 9.0 Di2, 2020 Catrike Eola, 2016 Masi cxgr, 2011, Felt F3 Ltd, 2010 Trek 2.1, 2009 KHS Flite 220

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 4383 Post(s)
Liked 3,016 Times in 1,865 Posts
Originally Posted by jaxgtr
Have you check the cassette to see if the teeth are worn, I can't believe you only got 2k on a chain, and that the cassette is toast. .
Just based on experience, when I let an 11 speed chain go so that the 0.75% pin in the chain checker goes in easily, the cassette is going to skip if I just put in a new chain with the old cassette..

In my experience, 10 speed chains were more durable.

It's a gravel bike that gets dirty a lot. I'm mot surprised that the chain was overstretched in 2k miles. I should have been keeping closer track.
Old 12-16-21, 08:12 PM
zandoval 

Bikes: Univega, Peu P6, Peu PR-10, Ted Williams, Peu UO-8, Peu UO-18 Mixte, Peu Dolomites

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 961 Post(s)
Liked 1,628 Times in 1,044 Posts
Changing my chain before it absolutely needs to be? Yes... Most likely. But I can afford it now. Still I don't throw them away, who knows what coming down the road...
Old 12-16-21, 08:50 PM
jaxgtr

Bikes: Trek Domane SLR 7 AXS, Trek CheckPoint SL7 AXS, Trek Emonda ALR AXS, Trek FX 5 Sport

Originally Posted by MinnMan
Just based on experience, when I let an 11 speed chain go so that the 0.75% pin in the chain checker goes in easily, the cassette is going to skip if I just put in a new chain with the old cassette..

In my experience, 10 speed chains were more durable.

It's a gravel bike that gets dirty a lot. I'm mot surprised that the chain was overstretched in 2k miles. I should have been keeping closer track.
Do you only have 2k on this cassette? If so, you should be able to get much more mileage on it that 2k and maintain good shifting. Are you using a oil based lube versus a wax if it is a gravel bike? If not waxing, you might look at that so you can not worry so much about the dirt and grime ruining the chain so quickly.

Old 12-17-21, 05:51 PM
LarrySellerz

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 2700 Post(s)
Liked 486 Times in 351 Posts
The chain falling off every 10 rides or so may seem like no big deal, but trusting your equipment 100% can be important for safety. For instance I have 5 bikes and I only trust one of them enough to full out sprint out of the saddle, because of chain slipping issues.
Old 12-17-21, 06:08 PM
jaxgtr

Originally Posted by LarrySellerz
The chain falling off every 10 rides or so may seem like no big deal, but trusting your equipment 100% can be important for safety. For instance I have 5 bikes and I only trust one of them enough to full out sprint out of the saddle, because of chain slipping issues.

You still have chain slip issues on 4 bikes?

Old 12-24-21, 06:46 AM
Jared Purdy

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by CoogansBluff
Got a road bike about 3-3 1/2 years ago. Was told that first year to replace the chain every 2,000-3,000 miles, something like that. And that if I didn't, it would wear out the sprocket, crank. And since chain is the least expensive, better to sacrifice a decent chain for the long-term good of the more expensive stuff that an older chain will ruin. OK, so started doing that.

Then, sometimes with a new chain, it would skip a little, and so some folks on here who work in bike shops say whenever you buy a new chain, buy a new sprocket too. I didn't follow that advice. Found that the new chain would slowly take the shape of the old sprocket, or for whatever reason, it would start working better.

Now, I can't get a new sprocket because of global supply issues. Was told by bike shop just to stay with old chain and sprocket as long as I could hold out. Now, whole drive chain is working as well as ever. Except for the chain coming off every 10 rides or so, everything seems fine. No skipping, no problems. I don't know how many miles I'm into this chain, but it's probably 6,000.

And finally, I've had a hybrid bike for probably 8 years now. I've never gotten a new chain. I don't know how many miles it has on it. Not as much as my road bike because the old hybrid is in semi-retirement.

So why should I buy so many new chains?
I'm not sure what brand or model of chain you're using, and that does matter. That being said, I've read and heard multiple times that this changing the chain thing depends on many factors, the most important of which is how often you clean the drive train, and what kind of weather you cycle in. Riding in all manner of conditions, including rain, will wear a chain much faster than if you only ride in dry conditions (that's me). I generally change them about every 3000kms, and when I put a new one on, it works flawlessly. Caveat Emptor: I'm OCDC with chain and drive chain cleanliness. I clean my chain about every 300kms.

I was recently chatting with a fellow cyclist about this and he told me he recently switched to the wax method of chain lube, and he's able to get more that 5000kms out of one chain. He prepares three in advance, hangs them up and replaces as needed, and is able to seriously prolong the life of the cassette and the chain rings. I'm going to look into this wax thing. It's not cheap, and is a laborious process, initially, at least.
Old 12-24-21, 08:10 AM
Jared Purdy

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by DaveSSS
I use 4 chains in a rotation for each of my SRAM force axs 12 speed bikes. I take a chain off for cleaning about every 600 miles and ride about 5,000 miles per year. By alternating the use of several chains, I don't have to worry about getting new-chain skip and don't have to toss chains at only 0.5% elongation, in an attempt to avoid new-chain skip. I expect to get at least 3,000 miles from each force chain, but it will take quite a while for any of my 8 chains to get that much mileage. One year's worth of riding only uses each chain for around 600 miles. When the chains start getting over 2,000 miles each, I'll have a better idea of how long they'll last.

I use a common 12 inch machinist's rule to measure elongation, without adding roller wear to the measurement. Roller wear can be measured separately with calipers placed between the outer plates of two links. A new chain will measure about 1.200 inch. After 3,000 miles of use, a Campy chain may show very little elongation, but plenty of roller wear. Others will show lots of elongation and roller wear.

I also have a setup to measure elongation over the full length of my 55 inch long chains. It's easy to measure 0.275 inch over that length.
This sounds like a great idea: rotation.
Old 12-24-21, 04:08 PM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Surly Wednesday, Canfielld Tilt

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2762 Post(s)
Liked 2,537 Times in 1,433 Posts
I don’t know about chains, but people are washing their bikes way too often.
Old 12-24-21, 04:14 PM
Jared Purdy

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Kapusta
I don’t know about chains, but people are washing their bikes way too often.
I don't "wash" my bike. I never get it so dirty that I have to take a hand mop or garden hose to it. I wipe it down, thoroughly.