Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Shingles had me sidelined

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Shingles had me sidelined

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-21, 10:35 AM
jlmonte

Bikes: Colnago Brain, Master Bi-Titanio, Vitus 979, Specialized Roubaix, Salsa Marrakesh, and a couple of Treks

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked 40 Times in 27 Posts
Originally Posted by zandoval

Colnago-Kreme... Fantastic!

Originally Posted by MinnMan
It's surprising how immersive and satisfying Zwift can be. I'm mostly an outdoor rider who formerly hated his trainer, but now I rather enjoy it. And I've met people who are dedicated zwift riders and almost never ride outside any longer.

It seems that sharing your story is helping other people take precautions. That's a great service for which we all thank you..
Originally Posted by PeteHski
Virtual riding can be a lot of fun. Often more fun than a solo outdoor ride in crappy weather and of course there are no idiots to mow you down! I do about 99% of my winter riding on the trainer now.
Thanks all for the words of encouragement. I had gained 10lbs and started drinking sodas in my depression, now the donuts are only after burning some calories. I got a wheel-on Kurt Kinetics for 40% the cost of the Kickr. With an old Colnago is my setup is cheaper than a new Peloton. I have to thank my nephew who reached out. I too am surprised how immersive riding on Zwift can be. Trying to extend the length of a progress bar for myself but also having Matt who lives in Alaska while I’m in California exercising together (space age crazy, like wireless video phones).

Getting Shingles during the pandemic meant poor medical help, and this angers me most. 6 months and I haven’t seen a neurologist, and a whole bunch of missed steps in treatment with two ER visits and an Oxycodone prescription.

I vent, so most importantly despite a tough year, I am pedaling.
Likes For jlmonte:
Old 11-16-21, 01:26 PM
JanMM
rebmeM roineS

Bikes: Bacchetta Giro A20, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked 347 Times in 226 Posts
My story is that I was lucky not to suffer a shingles outbreak prior to getting the sorta-effective zostavax vaccine and then later the highly-effective shingrix vaccine.
My hope for the future is that as time goes by enough kids will be immunized against chickenpox that eventually there will be no need for shingles vaccine. Have not seen any predictions of when that might be.
Old 11-16-21, 01:39 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6190 Post(s)
Liked 4,806 Times in 3,315 Posts
Originally Posted by jlmonte
Thanks all for the words of encouragement..
Thanks for adding your views on virtual reality type stuff giving you encouragement to stay on a trainer. I have sort of thought it would, but yet another winter is about to be here. Though my winters are gentle compared to others places. I still probably won't ride enough outdoors because the older I get the more I don't want to be out in the cold and I'll barely do any indoors. Maybe I should move Zwift or another virtual cycling program higher on my list of wants.

And thanks for not letting us forget about what shingles can do on the more serious side of the issue.
Likes For Iride01:
Old 11-16-21, 05:01 PM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3587 Post(s)
Liked 3,398 Times in 1,932 Posts
Originally Posted by flangehead
My father had a case of shingles in his 60s. He thought he couldn’t get it again. Wrong. He had another case in his late 80s and it was worse.
My daughter has had shingles three times already. The first time when she was only ten years old, then twice in her 20s (she's 31 now).

He then got the vaccine as did I as soon as I qualified.
She can't get vaccinated until she turns 50, as the vaccine hasn't been FDA approved for younger people.

It was very painful for him.
Yes, it can be miserable. I've known people to be hospitalized for IV pain medications because of shingles. The new Shingrix vaccine is highly effective (much more so than the older Zostavax vaccine), but many people (including me) have intense side effects, particularly from the second dose. My second dose knocked me flat in bed for a day, so if you're still working, plan accordingly.
Likes For JohnDThompson:
Old 11-17-21, 08:21 AM
MinnMan

Bikes: 2022 Salsa Beargrease Carbon Deore 11, 2020 Salsa Warbird GRX 600, 2020 Canyon Ultimate CF SLX disc 9.0 Di2, 2020 Catrike Eola, 2016 Masi cxgr, 2011, Felt F3 Ltd, 2010 Trek 2.1, 2009 KHS Flite 220

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 4379 Post(s)
Liked 3,014 Times in 1,864 Posts
Originally Posted by Iride01
Thanks for adding your views on virtual reality type stuff giving you encouragement to stay on a trainer. I have sort of thought it would, but yet another winter is about to be here. Though my winters are gentle compared to others places. I still probably won't ride enough outdoors because the older I get the more I don't want to be out in the cold and I'll barely do any indoors. Maybe I should move Zwift or another virtual cycling program higher on my list of wants.

And thanks for not letting us forget about what shingles can do on the more serious side of the issue.
You'll be glad you did.
Likes For MinnMan:
Old 11-17-21, 09:06 AM
MinnMan

Bikes: 2022 Salsa Beargrease Carbon Deore 11, 2020 Salsa Warbird GRX 600, 2020 Canyon Ultimate CF SLX disc 9.0 Di2, 2020 Catrike Eola, 2016 Masi cxgr, 2011, Felt F3 Ltd, 2010 Trek 2.1, 2009 KHS Flite 220

Thanks all for the words of encouragement. I had gained 10lbs and started drinking sodas in my depression, now the donuts are only after burning some calories. I got a wheel-on Kurt Kinetics for 40% the cost of the Kickr. With an old Colnago is my setup is cheaper than a new Peloton. I have to thank my nephew who reached out. I too am surprised how immersive riding on Zwift can be. Trying to extend the length of a progress bar for myself but also having Matt who lives in Alaska while I’m in California exercising together (space age crazy, like wireless video phones).

Getting Shingles during the pandemic meant poor medical help, and this angers me most. 6 months and I haven’t seen a neurologist, and a whole bunch of missed steps in treatment with two ER visits and an Oxycodone prescription.

I vent, so most importantly despite a tough year, I am pedaling.
(Probably this digression belongs in a different subforum, but...)

I have a Kurt Kinetic that I bought almost 10 years ago for just over $200. A dumb trainer. When I first joined Zwift, I measured power with the KK InRide add-on, which cost maybe $50 and worked great. Now that i have power meter pedals, I use those. I know that a true smart trainer gives a better experience, and I occasionally think about upgrading, but I can't get myself to justify the expense. The dumb trainer with measured power, cadence, and HRM works well enough for me.
Likes For MinnMan:
Old 11-17-21, 11:41 AM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
Same. When I was in the market for a new trainer to replace my ancient Nashbar fluid trainer, I was considering a smart, direct drive trainer like the Wahoo Kickr. But I decided to go with the Kinetic because my main use was going to be warming up for races. But with the pandemic, there were no races or even group rides so I was spending a lot more time in my garage. Everybody says you will have a more immersive experience on Zwift with a smart trainer and the direct drives don't wear out tires, but it's worked fine.

Typically, I'll run TrainerRoad through the iPad, with power data from my crank-based PM. I can run Zwift simultaneously through AppleTV, with power data from the Kinetic In-Ride sensor. When both are calibrated, it's surprisingly close (I'd say 3-5% variance).

Likes For caloso:
Old 11-17-21, 01:33 PM
Arthur Peabody

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 250 Post(s)
Liked 110 Times in 66 Posts
I got the Zostavax when I turned 60, the Shingrix when it came out. I had no reaction to either.
Old 11-17-21, 02:03 PM
reverborama
Broom Wagon Fodder

Bikes: Fuji Supreme; Kona Wo; Nashbar road frame custom build; Schwinn Varsity; Nishiki International; Schwinn Premis, Falcon Merckx, American Flyer muscle bike, Motobecane Mulekick

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 30 Posts
I got the Flu and Shingrix vaccines in the same visit in October and will make an appointment for the second Shingrix in December. I felt a little off the day after and fine beyond that.

I hear they are now encouraging people to get the vaccine at 50.
Old 11-17-21, 02:22 PM
MinnMan

After the first Shingrix shot, my arm was sore for days, but no other symptoms. Maybe there will be more of a reaction after the second, anticipated in January.
Old 11-17-21, 04:54 PM
rydabent
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,056 Times in 635 Posts
As I posted before, I think everyone should get a shingles shot. And too get your pneumonia shot too. This is especially true the older you get. If you read up, a large percentage of deaths in older people are due to pneumonia. Then further have a colostomy exam. Why suffer all these things when they can be prevented.
Likes For rydabent:
Old 11-17-21, 07:59 PM
jaxgtr

Bikes: Trek Domane SLR 7 AXS, Trek CheckPoint SL7 AXS, Trek Emonda ALR AXS, Trek FX 5 Sport

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 763 Post(s)
Liked 1,731 Times in 1,008 Posts
Originally Posted by JohnDThompson
... but many people (including me) have intense side effects, particularly from the second dose. My second dose knocked me flat in bed for a day, so if you're still working, plan accordingly.
Yea, same here... I was miserable for 3 days, but far better than having shingles. MY wife did not have any negative reaction to either of the shots.

Old 11-20-21, 08:25 PM
FBOATSB

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 912 Post(s)
Liked 515 Times in 344 Posts
Just got a covid booster and asked for a Shingrix at the same time. The pharmacist said I have to wait two weeks after the booster to get it per protocol, so I wait. The pharmacist also said to schedule the second Shingrix shot on a Friday in case it makes you unable to work a day or two.
Old 11-20-21, 08:38 PM
MinnMan

Originally Posted by FBOATSB
Just got a covid booster and asked for a Shingrix at the same time. The pharmacist said I have to wait two weeks after the booster to get it per protocol, so I wait. The pharmacist also said to schedule the second Shingrix shot on a Friday in case it makes you unable to work a day or two.
Had the same experience - keep those vaccinations separate. People are taking their covid boosters and their flu shots at the same time, but not combined with Shingrix.
I scheduled my first Shingrix on a Friday as a precaution, but it turned out to be unnecessary. .
Likes For MinnMan:
Old 11-22-21, 04:54 PM
jlmonte

Bikes: Colnago Brain, Master Bi-Titanio, Vitus 979, Specialized Roubaix, Salsa Marrakesh, and a couple of Treks

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked 40 Times in 27 Posts
Originally Posted by caloso
Same. When I was in the market for a new trainer to replace my ancient Nashbar fluid trainer, I was considering a smart, direct drive trainer like the Wahoo Kickr.

Thanks for the picture, I have a Black and Decker Workmate I can use for a larger old heavy Plasma for another setup. I cobbled a Performance Ascent Mag trainer with a speed sensor on a Fuji hybrid. I got everything working, selecting the Blackburn Mag-3 supported by Zwift, and a Kinetic Bluetooth wheel hub speed sensor. The setup is perfect for a simple cardio-heart workout.

BTW you all,
I can not get a straight answer from any medical expert on vaccines other than get them. So April was COVID, and late Sept was Flu. I was going for Shingles next, but was encouraged COVID booster for holiday gatherings. I rather have recovery time between vaccines and be strong going into immunization, right?
Old 11-22-21, 05:57 PM
FBOATSB

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 912 Post(s)
Liked 515 Times in 344 Posts
Thanks for the picture, I have a Black and Decker Workmate I can use for a larger old heavy Plasma for another setup. I cobbled a Performance Ascent Mag trainer with a speed sensor on a Fuji hybrid. I got everything working, selecting the Blackburn Mag-3 supported by Zwift, and a Kinetic Bluetooth wheel hub speed sensor. The setup is perfect for a simple cardio-heart workout.

BTW you all,
I can not get a straight answer from any medical expert on vaccines other than get them. So April was COVID, and late Sept was Flu. I was going for Shingles next, but was encouraged COVID booster for holiday gatherings. I rather have recovery time between vaccines and be strong going into immunization, right?
I was told shingles two weeks after booster by the pharmacist I go to.
Old 11-22-21, 08:00 PM
MinnMan

BTW you all,
You have time for both before the holidays. As has been said on this thread in a few places that it's 2 weeks between shingrix and booster or other covid vax. But for the Shinrtix, you'll need a second shot 2-6 months after the first. Hop on down to your nearest pharmacy and rolll up that sleeve.
Likes For MinnMan:
Old 11-26-21, 04:50 PM
John E
feros ferio

Bikes: 1959 Capo Modell Campagnolo; 1960 Capo Sieger (2); 1962 Carlton Franco Suisse; 1970 Peugeot UO-8; 1982 Bianchi Campione d'Italia; 1988 Schwinn Project KOM-10;

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 1392 Post(s)
Liked 1,324 Times in 836 Posts
Originally Posted by FBOATSB
No one told me about a two-week waiting period. I had the COVID booster on Tuesday and my first Shingrix today. It made sense to wait two days, because the Moderna booster did make me feel like death warmed over, including a 100.8F+ fever spike (very high for me, since my normal body temperature averages about 97.5), for about a day and a half.

EDIT: Just saw this: https://www.commercialappeal.com/sto...ds/6678361002/

My wife did get double flu shot and Pfizer COVID boost on the same day, and felt really bad for a day and a half. I would rather know which shot I am reacting to, so I am waiting until next week for flu, then tetanus, then pneumonia. I feel like someone's dog. "Has he had all his shots?"

I have two words for the anti-vaxxers: "polio" and "smallpox." I obviously do not need to stop there ... .

Bottom line: no need to wait on either vaccine after receiving the other.
Peugeot: 1970 UO-8, S/N 0010468
Bianchi: 1982 Campione d'Italia, S/N 1.M9914
Schwinn: 1988 Project KOM-10, S/N F804069

Last edited by John E; 11-26-21 at 04:55 PM.
Likes For John E:
Old 11-28-21, 03:32 PM
Clyde1820

Bikes: 1996 Trek 970 ZX Single Track 2x11

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 614 Post(s)
Liked 564 Times in 428 Posts
Got the Shingles shot earlier this year. Had chicken pox when I was younger and (being an aging old fart) didn't want to have this sort of mess. Plenty of other things to worry about. Mild beginnings of cataracts, for example. Oooof.
Likes For Clyde1820:
Old 11-28-21, 06:29 PM
travbikeman

Bikes: State 4130 Custom, Giant Trance 29

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 422 Post(s)
Liked 182 Times in 123 Posts
Wow to all of your stories here! My father had shingles in his eye about 10 years ago. Was extremely painful for him.

Now that I'm over 50 now, I am planning on getting the shingles shot soon. Still remember dealing with chicken pox in early 1970's...don't wish to relive any of it or worse.
Likes For travbikeman:
Old 11-30-21, 09:48 AM
John E
feros ferio

Bikes: 1959 Capo Modell Campagnolo; 1960 Capo Sieger (2); 1962 Carlton Franco Suisse; 1970 Peugeot UO-8; 1982 Bianchi Campione d'Italia; 1988 Schwinn Project KOM-10;

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 1392 Post(s)
Liked 1,324 Times in 836 Posts
Your cautionary thread inspired me to prioritize the Shingrix.

Follow up: I am finally back to full strength on the bike, following my Moderna COVID booster on Tuesday and my first Shingrix dose on Friday. I am very glad to have had both shots, but they did tire me out and slow me down considerably for a week. (My granny chainring became my new best friend.) Next up, regular annual flu shot and overdue tetanus booster. I feel like someone's dog: "Has he had all of his shots?"
Peugeot: 1970 UO-8, S/N 0010468
Bianchi: 1982 Campione d'Italia, S/N 1.M9914
Schwinn: 1988 Project KOM-10, S/N F804069
Old 11-30-21, 02:15 PM
Clyde1820

Bikes: 1996 Trek 970 ZX Single Track 2x11

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 614 Post(s)
Liked 564 Times in 428 Posts
Originally Posted by John E
... Next up, regular annual flu shot and overdue tetanus booster. I feel like someone's dog: "Has he had all of his shots?"
Look on the bright side. At least we don't have to wear those crazy head "funnels" to keep us from ... well, you know.

I guess that's something.
Old 11-30-21, 08:13 PM
MinnMan

Originally Posted by Clyde1820
Look on the bright side. At least we don't have to wear those crazy head "funnels" to keep us from ... well, you know.

I guess that's something.
Maybe we should wear them: