Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Small Pliers

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-22, 10:24 AM
Jeff Neese

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1083 Post(s)
Liked 686 Times in 440 Posts
Originally Posted by njkayaker
You don't need the little nut to install tubes properly.
Yeah, I hear that all the time - you don't "need" them. If I change a tire by the side of the road and somehow manage to lose both the new one and the old one, I know I can inflate the tire anyway and ride it that way until I get home. But it certainly helps, and it keeps the stem straight. There's no downside. And if anyone says "weight" I'm not going to take them seriously.
Likes For Jeff Neese:
Old 03-12-22, 10:50 AM
njkayaker

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 4252 Post(s)
Liked 1,352 Times in 938 Posts
Originally Posted by Jeff Neese
Yeah, I hear that all the time - you don't "need" them. If I change a tire by the side of the road and somehow manage to lose both the new one and the old one, I know I can inflate the tire anyway and ride it that way until I get home. But it certainly helps, and it keeps the stem straight. There's no downside. And if anyone says "weight" I'm not going to take them seriously.
There's no real upside either. It's actually a tiny bit more work fussing with them. That there's a general problem installing tubes is an exaggeration. Your pictures just show there are people that can't properly install tubes.

It doesn't matter whether people use them. The issue is that some people are under the impression that the nut and the cap are necessary or provide a significant benefit. The fact is is that they aren't and they don't.

Last edited by njkayaker; 03-12-22 at 10:55 AM.
Likes For njkayaker:
Old 03-12-22, 11:02 AM
Rolla

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1346 Post(s)
Liked 3,270 Times in 1,439 Posts
The only time I use a valve nut is when running a presta valve in a schrader-drilled rim. In that case I use these, with a lip that fills the space so the valve doesn't rattle around:

But on a presta valve and a presta rim? Never. Yet somehow I've managed to get the valve inserted straight without them for 50 years.
Likes For Rolla:
Old 03-12-22, 11:38 AM
rosefarts
With a mighty wind

Quoted: 1086 Post(s)
Liked 859 Times in 488 Posts
No comment about the back and forth and n00b calling.

I will say that I have a Gerber brand mini plier. Closed its under 2” long. Comes with a blade I sort of sharpened, some screwdrivers, and a bottle opener. I’ve never used it.

Realistically, it’s probably only useful for pulling cactus out of my leg. My bike multi tool has everything else in better quality plus some. I don’t really feel bad about taking it along though. It’s better quality than what Aaron Ralston cut his arm off with.
Old 03-12-22, 12:10 PM
OldTryGuy

Bikes: Day6 Semi Recumbent "FIREBALL", 1981 Custom Touring Paramount, 1983 Road Paramount, 2013 Giant Propel Advanced SL3, 2018 Specialized Red Roubaix Expert mech., 2002 Magna 7sp hybrid, 1976 Bassett Racing 45sp Cruiser

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1068 Post(s)
Liked 783 Times in 504 Posts
Originally Posted by rumrunn6

Some electrical tape over hole and pierce it so stem goes thru very tightly. Can put tape on inside and outside of rim.

Tube CAN ALSO MOVE inside tire when bike is ridden with low air pressure.

Originally Posted by Riveting
How do you: press down on the pump, press down on the opposite side of the tire, and flip the lever all at the same time with only two hands. I just make it easy on myself and use the nut, instead of pressing on the tire, doing it your way just seems unnecessarily masochistic.
Have the wheel positioned so valve is at bottom, put weight on the wheel, valve is held in place and attach pump.
Old 03-12-22, 12:44 PM
Jeff Neese

Originally Posted by OldTryGuy

Have the wheel positioned so valve is at bottom, put weight on the wheel, valve is held in place and attach pump.
Or,..... just use the nut. Of course it's possible to inflate a tube without one, and presumably we've all done it many times. But it's so much easier and more secure with the nut on, and the stem stays straight afterwards.
Old 03-12-22, 12:51 PM
Jeff Neese

Originally Posted by njkayaker

It doesn't matter whether people use them. The issue is that some people are under the impression that the nut and the cap are necessary or provide a significant benefit. The fact is is that they aren't and they don't.
The cap is to keep the valve clean so it works better and provides some protection, same as with a schrader valve. To top off the tires you just remove the cap, instead of possibly needing to clean off the valve first. Keeps the pump head cleaner too. I buy the aluminum caps because the black plastic ones always crack and fall off.
Old 03-12-22, 01:19 PM
njkayaker

The cap is to keep the valve clean so it works better and provides some protection, same as with a schrader valve. To top off the tires you just remove the cap, instead of possibly needing to clean off the valve first. Keeps the pump head cleaner too. I buy the aluminum caps because the black plastic ones always crack and fall off.
That's also not really necessary.
Old 03-12-22, 01:54 PM
Bimmer69

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 40 Times in 26 Posts
I'm pro-nut but if you don't have it on, you can use one hand to squeeze the valve while attaching the pump with the other.
Just put your middle and index finger around the base of the valve, and use the thumb of the same hand to squeeze the other side.
Old 03-12-22, 01:55 PM
imi
aka Timi

Bikes: Bianchi Lupo (touring) Bianchi Volpe (commuter), Miyata On Off Road Runner

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 160 Post(s)
Liked 130 Times in 99 Posts
This thread is of such utmost importance that I will chime in.

If you have a problem with the nut coming loose, then just use TWO nuts, one as a locking nut.

Are there Nyloc nuts of the right size? I hear a weight-weenie screaming.

Loctite?? 🤩

Aluminium caps are great, but must of course be colour matched to your frame.

A smal pair of (needle-nosed) pliers is a very useful tool.
Likes For imi:
Old 03-12-22, 02:09 PM
Rolla

Quoted: 1346 Post(s)
Liked 3,270 Times in 1,439 Posts
I'd wager that some folks here wear a belt and suspenders.
Old 03-12-22, 02:50 PM
Jeff Neese

Originally Posted by imi
This thread is of such utmost importance that I will chime in.

If you have a problem with the nut coming loose, then just use TWO nuts, one as a locking nut.

Are there Nyloc nuts of the right size? I hear a weight-weenie screaming.

Loctite?? 🤩

Aluminium caps are great, but must of course be colour matched to your frame.

A smal pair of (needle-nosed) pliers is a very useful tool.
Well now you've got a real debate on your hands. I say the aluminum caps should be color-matched to the valve stem, which in most cases is silver. If the stem is black though (like most schrader tubes), you have to use black valve caps.

I do carry a small multi-tool with me, in addition to my bike-specific tools. They're just handy to have on hand, and I find myself using it more than the bike tools. I also carry a Leatherman Supertool in the glove compartment of both cars, and those too come in useful all the time.

Last edited by Jeff Neese; 03-12-22 at 02:54 PM.
Likes For Jeff Neese:
Old 03-12-22, 04:55 PM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5224 Post(s)
Liked 3,581 Times in 2,342 Posts
funny that when I run my MTB tires low pressure, I don't have any tube/valve movement. but I do remember having the issue with older road bikes when I was younger. maybe I didn't inflate them each time or ran them low or had a slow leak? but I do remember tube/valve movement. haven't had the problem as an adult tho
Old 03-12-22, 08:57 PM
themp

Bikes: Specialized Crosstrail

Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 44 Posts
Been gone for a few days and never thought this post would grow this large. Yes, I am using a Schrader valve on my Specialized Crosstrail. And it is the nut that tightens down on the rim. The reason I went with the metal valve and nut is that on a multi-day ride on the New River Trail in Virginia I had the rubber valve stem fail when I attached my pump one morning. Since switching to a metal valve and nut I have not had that happen and the valve stem is much more secure in that it does not flex when attaching the pump. Thousands of miles since that failure. I never thought of using two nuts as someone posted, I just went with a small dot of thread locker. Also, if I do need to fix a flat with a patch, the nut still has remnants of the thread locker and tightens down again and stays put.
Old 03-12-22, 09:07 PM
Camilo

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1109 Post(s)
Liked 1,200 Times in 760 Posts
I've been using presta valves for 30+ years and have never knowingly cleaned the valve. I screw it open, maybe "burp" it and apply the pump. How can the actual workings get dirty if the valve is screwed shut?

Now, with schraeder valves, yes the cap does keep the valve clean.
Likes For Camilo:
Old 03-13-22, 04:52 AM
70sSanO

Bikes: 1986 Cannondale SR400 (Flat bar commuter), 1988 Cannondale Criterium XTR, 1992 Serotta T-Max, 1995 Trek 970

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1943 Post(s)
Liked 2,164 Times in 1,323 Posts
With a schrader valve I can understand wanting to use the valve stem nut. Cliffordk suggested purple locktite. I would use that.

As for the pliers, I’m not a fan of those, especially cheap ones.

Over the years I’ve run across thin stamped steel open/closed box wrenches that are sometimes supplied on items where “some assembly is required.”

I’d measure the nut size and Google/amazon/eBay to find one that fits. Cut the length to fit your bag if you have to.

They are cheaply made but would probably work better than those pliers, and take up the same room as a metal tire lever.

John

Last edited by 70sSanO; 03-13-22 at 04:56 AM.
Old 03-13-22, 06:20 AM
njkayaker

Locktight on these nuts? Do many people do that?

The nut is unnecessary.

Why go through the extra work of using locktight and having to carry pliers to remove the nut?
Old 03-13-22, 06:47 AM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Surly Wednesday, Canfielld Tilt

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2762 Post(s)
Liked 2,537 Times in 1,433 Posts
Originally Posted by themp
Been gone for a few days and never thought this post would grow this large..
Never underestimate the capacity of BF members to spend pages upon pages telling other people why their preferences are wrong.
Likes For Kapusta:
Old 03-13-22, 06:53 AM
GhostRider62

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 2333 Post(s)
Liked 2,097 Times in 1,314 Posts
I was trying to understand the pump and tube problem when there is no little nut. So, I went to the garage. Not a single one of my bikes has a threaded stem. I wonder how the tires get inflated before every ride.
Old 03-13-22, 06:59 AM
njkayaker

Originally Posted by Iride01
Put that plastic cap back on and maybe the nut won't loosen itself while you ride. And you won't have to use thread locker.
???

Maybe, the cap would keep the nut from escaping but it will do nothing about keeping it from loosening.
Old 03-13-22, 07:22 AM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,286 Posts
Originally Posted by themp
Been gone for a few days and never thought this post would grow this large..
That's what happens when a person starts a thread looking for solutions to problems which don't exist.
Old 03-13-22, 08:50 AM
70sSanO

Bikes: 1986 Cannondale SR400 (Flat bar commuter), 1988 Cannondale Criterium XTR, 1992 Serotta T-Max, 1995 Trek 970

Originally Posted by wolfchild
That's what happens when a person starts a thread looking for solutions to problems which don't exist.
That is also what happens when people post to a thread where the OP already came up with a solution but no one reads that.

John
Old 03-13-22, 09:57 AM
njkayaker

Originally Posted by 70sSanO
That is also what happens when people post to a thread where the OP already came up with a solution but no one reads that.
People read it.

It's a solution to a problem of his own making. Does anybody else put locktight on these nuts (which aren't even necessary)?
Old 03-13-22, 10:22 AM
70sSanO

If you read it. Why do you care?

That seems to be the norm now. It is more important to prove one’s own point of view. I guess there is validation somewhere in that, and Lord knows everyone seems to need validation these days.

John
Old 03-13-22, 10:50 AM
njkayaker

Originally Posted by 70sSanO
If you read it. Why do you care?

That seems to be the norm now. It is more important to prove one’s own point of view. I guess there is validation somewhere in that, and Lord knows everyone seems to need validation these days.

John
This applies to your replies as well but you lack the self-awareness to realize it.

Indicating that the nuts aren't necessary is useful information. Even to the OP, who is expending more effort that he might need to to use them.

Again, why go through using locktight on the nuts and having to carry pliers do deal with manufactured problem? If that doesn't make sense, why create a post that suggests that other people do the same thing?

Last edited by njkayaker; 03-13-22 at 10:58 AM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.