Go Back  Bike Forums > The Racer's Forum > "The 33"-Road Bike Racing
Reload this Page >

Training Status??? (IV)

Notices
"The 33"-Road Bike Racing We set this forum up for our members to discuss their experiences in either pro or amateur racing, whether they are the big races, or even the small backyard races. Don't forget to update all the members with your own race results.

Training Status??? (IV)

Old 06-01-22, 06:22 AM
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk

Bikes: road, track, mtb

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2505 Post(s)
Liked 2,953 Times in 1,571 Posts
We set the 10 mile scratch race record last night at the San Diego Velodrome! I think we rode the 50 laps in 19:30 ish. Previous record was around 20 minutes flat and had held since 2016. I was identified as one of the major contributors (gasp) and took a few full 1 lap pulls throughout the effort.

I got dropped myself with 3 to go... so close. Only three others riders finished with the front of the race. The rest of the field of ~25 had gone down a lap or two or just pulled out earlier. It started getting real hard with like 10 laps to go, getting cross eyed. I felt great at 15 to go and took a full lap pull again > 30 MPH at 16 or 17 to go, then it all caught up with me. Funny how that works.

Fun stuff!
Old 06-01-22, 10:19 AM
furiousferret

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 842 Post(s)
Liked 469 Times in 250 Posts
I'm heading into the meat grinder of 'eating' events. I'm at 9% bodyfat right now and would like to be at 7% when we leave for Spain, because I'm going to eat whatever I want when I'm there (we'll also be walking 3-4 hours a day, so it won't be too bad).
  • Nieces birthday (Last weekend)
  • Family staying at our house this weekend
  • State Champs
  • Spain for a week
  • Camping with the nephew.
  • FIL Birthday
I have an elastic stomach, so I can eat, and eat, and eat. Being the first season of real racing since the pandemic, I can't really anticipate my events. They just seem to be dropping stuff whenever, so I really just have to be ready for any climbing events to show up where I can do well.
Old 06-01-22, 12:52 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
We spent two weeks in Spain a few years ago, and it seemed like I was constantly eating but when I came home, I'd lost 3 lbs. Maybe it was all the walking. But man, I ate a lot of ham.
Likes For caloso:
Old 06-06-22, 06:27 AM
hubcyclist

Bikes: 2017 Raleigh RX 1.0, 2018 Specialized Allez

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 471 Post(s)
Liked 631 Times in 336 Posts
I was at home alone Thurs-today, so I went down to my parents' house (for the riding, and to spend time with the folks too lol). Thurs I did 3x30 sweet spot on the usual 13mile loop, was awesome. Friday did just 90min z2, stayed disciplined on a nice day! Saturday and Sunday I did 3.5hrs each, so 15hr total for the week 796tss and nearly 12k kj of work, almost pro! lol CTL is 85 and TSB is -25, I'd like to go for 16 this week but I think back to back 4hr rides with family home is going to be tough to pull off, unless I shift the long stuff to the middle of the week when I'm working at home and just do the shorter stuff on the weekend. The more of this I do, the more I see how hard it is to routinely do 15+hrs, you'd def need an understanding family willing to let you be out over 4hrs each weekend day

Anyhow, we're going to southern CA (LA area, out to some national parks in that area) for the first couple of weeks in July, so hoping all this endurance/sweet spot work stays with me during that almost 2 week break, might have to get some running shoes and try to use that as a proxy, and hopefully hiking will keep the aerobic system mostly topped off
Likes For hubcyclist:
Old 06-07-22, 08:46 AM
furiousferret

Last 2 weeks I've been ramping up for State Champs, roughly 15 hours a week. The problem was my wife had family coming to visit, so in addition to that I probably put in about 20 hours of house chores in as well. Mowing, pulling weeds, mopping, etc. It's all added up, and really I'm just exhausted. Its hard to calculate the randomness of chores in reference to stress or calories burned. Last two days I could barely stay awake and have been tired. It also may be COVID since our work has an outbreak (and only half are masking).

At this point I'm not sure if I can do it, but on the bright side, I feel about 90% now, so hopefully I'm out of it.
Old 06-07-22, 08:48 AM
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk

Originally Posted by furiousferret
Last 2 weeks I've been ramping up for State Champs, roughly 15 hours a week. The problem was my wife had family coming to visit, so in addition to that I probably put in about 20 hours of house chores in as well. Mowing, pulling weeds, mopping, etc. It's all added up, and really I'm just exhausted. Its hard to calculate the randomness of chores in reference to stress or calories burned. Last two days I could barely stay awake and have been tired. It also may be COVID since our work has an outbreak (and only half are masking).

At this point I'm not sure if I can do it, but on the bright side, I feel about 90% now, so hopefully I'm out of it.
Hopefully you continue to feel better! I will be racing the 35/40 combined, aiming for a good place in the 35 field between me and my teammate Kevin, who is super strong. Hopefully we can do something.
Likes For TMonk:
Old 06-07-22, 09:01 AM
Hermes
Version 7.0

Bikes: Too Many

Mentioned: 297 Post(s)
Quoted: 1326 Post(s)
Liked 2,438 Times in 1,425 Posts
I was planning on doing the state TT this weekend but the temps and wind on the course look excessive - 102 degree (projected record heat and not on the course per se) and 25-35 mph winds. 3 hour drive up the night before, hotel, race the next day in the heat and wind and 3 hour ride home.

I will drive up to Carson on Sunday and do the Madison practice unless the weather changes and get a better workout with less driving and no additional cost. Although, I am in shape for the ITT and want to do it and support the promoter.

Bike racing- priceless.
Likes For Hermes:
Old 06-07-22, 09:22 AM
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk

Yeah I do not envy those racing the ITT this weekend. I'm not going simply because its too much logistical hassle right now with our schedule at home. I am planning on the TTT next weekend. Hopefully the temps are reasonable.
Likes For TMonk:
Old 06-07-22, 09:47 AM
Hermes
Version 7.0

My wife and I are doing the two person, mixed, open TTT next weekend. The weather forecast looks better/more normal.
Likes For Hermes:
Old 06-07-22, 09:52 AM
furiousferret

I'm on the fence about the TT, it all depends on what chance I feel I have to get a jersey. Really both are a long shot; there are some fast guys at the 50+ TT and if I do that I'm not going to be 100% for the RR. I'm realistic as I'm a long shot either way, but every time I line up I think I'm going to win, lol.

For the 50+ I need to find at least 20 watts, and at least 3 minutes to even be in the ballpark, but I've never had a good TT race, something always went wrong (last year I went off course and into the dirt at about 30 mph).

I'll be in Spain for the TT.

Originally Posted by TMonk
Hopefully you continue to feel better! I will be racing the 35/40 combined, aiming for a good place in the 35 field between me and my teammate Kevin, who is super strong. Hopefully we can do something.
Thanks!

Have you ridden the course? I saw some videos (apparently it's a Wednesday night ride), and it looks marginally comparable to Rosena Ranch, so I'm not sure if I take my 1x aero crit bike or SuperSix. Any wind?

I'm not happy they're combining fields for a State Champs race, I'm not sure if that's a valid complaint or just a complaint. That doubles the field and means 1 to 2 teams are going to have armies to chase down breaks.

Last edited by furiousferret; 06-07-22 at 09:59 AM.
Likes For furiousferret:
Old 06-07-22, 11:22 AM
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk

FF I have once or twice, but its been a while. From what I remember, Rosena is a good comparison. Maybe slightly less windy. It's big ring all the way so I'd take the aero bike.
Likes For TMonk:
Old 06-12-22, 11:06 AM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
4 hours on the bike yesterday. I had to be up early to drop my kid off for his Grad Night trip, so I went out and did a set of intervals before joining the River Ride. Mostly sat at the back and treated it like motor pacing. Developed a hot spot, so my right foot was on fire for the last hour, but it pretty much went away as soon as I got off the bike. Went home and slept. Great day.
Old 06-13-22, 04:47 AM
hubcyclist

Bikes: 2017 Raleigh RX 1.0, 2018 Specialized Allez

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 471 Post(s)
Liked 631 Times in 336 Posts
it was supposed to be (ambitiously) a 16hr week, but we just made it to 12 because sunday was my anniversary and a combo of my sleeping late and my wife getting up earlier than usual made it so I had no time to get out. But I did 4hrs on Sat, which was great, and while I get a good amount of weekly volume, I really haven't gotten 4hrs in a while.

i remain unimpressed with the superteam wheels I was loaned (they are 60mm/90mm deep). I know the difference in speed with deeper wheels isn't huge, from what I've seen maybe a minute an hour, but I even knowing that I'm surprised at how not noticeable the difference is, I generally do high 18s when I'm riding z2 on my usual stock wheels, so I was hoping to get low 19's but that hasn't happened. I will say, positively, I can't say I've noticed it any harder to ride in cross winds. But at the moment I don't feel inspired to rush out and upgrade my wheels
Old 06-13-22, 11:13 AM
burnthesheep
Newbie racer

Bikes: Propel, red is faster

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 1575 Post(s)
Liked 1,568 Times in 973 Posts
First ever use of a Velotoze cooling vest today. It was mid 90's and "feels like" over 100. TT bike tempo for 45min. No shade. It worked. Largest ice pack still slightly cool to touch at end of ride, three smaller ones were "done for" but not warm. Still cooler than air temp.

The one by the shoulders was really nice.

I think from now on if it's over 85 for a "lunch ride" I'll keep the ice packs ready.

I dare say going all-out in a TT you could do a 10 mile race with them on and benefit from the cooling packs. A 40k would be suspect.

I think they would work the treat for a "weeknight crit racer" in those hot summer nights. Buy extra freeze packs. Wear one for warmup, the, swap them out for each race.
Likes For burnthesheep:
Old 06-14-22, 09:26 AM
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk

Did an interval free-ride in Watopia today, grabbed 2nd Epic KOM, then 1st on FF reverse, Zwift KOM and Titan's reverse. Sweet.

Likes For TMonk:
Old 06-14-22, 09:27 AM
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk

also im calling foul on that 7 minute FF reverse. My 9:39 was full aero at 4.6 w/kg
Likes For TMonk:
Old 06-14-22, 09:44 AM
himespau 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 4196 Post(s)
Liked 2,911 Times in 1,780 Posts
also im calling foul on that 7 minute FF reverse. My 9:39 was full aero at 4.6 w/kg
Saturday, I did one race and hopped directly into another. Didn't feel like there was enough resistance so I started to do a spindown calibration in the pens. Realized that there was 55 seconds to the start of the race, so I aborted the calibration. It was a hillclimb race so the first 20 or so km were supposed to be Z2 until I got to the hilly segment (which is why I felt comfortable hopping from one race right into the next right after finishing race 1). Somehow the race hopping or aborted calibration or something screwed things up and I went flying past some teammates with Zwift saying I was going ~4.5 when I was really doing about 2 W/kg. Had to stop and do the full calibration to get things right again. Fortunately, I'd gotten far enough ahead of my teammates and they were also only slowly rolling to the hill climb segment that I could catch them without too much trouble (also fortunately, the area where my power was screwy didn't count for anything). At least I could tell I was getting crappy data on Zwift. I often wonder how much of people doing insane stuff is intentional and how much is just that they don't know.
Likes For himespau:
Old 06-14-22, 10:09 AM
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk

Good Q. You gotta figure though with an effort that long, the rider had to have figured out that the displayed w/kg was in no way real or possible. Similar to your situation. So maybe the miscalibration was unintentional, but going with it was probably not lol.
Likes For TMonk:
Old 06-15-22, 07:21 AM
himespau 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 4196 Post(s)
Liked 2,911 Times in 1,780 Posts
I have to get back into a properly scheduled training program. 2-3 Zwift races and 3-4 Z2 days with one day off a week and pretending it's an effective training strategy because I'm working on the kind of efforts I'll do in races (because I am racing) is more fun than doing workouts (and sometimes competition makes me push harder than I do alone), but it's definitely leaving gaps. Last night I did a 3000 m race and it felt like someone had run sandpaper on the inside of my lungs for that last minute and change. Clearly, it's been too long since I've done a lot of work specifically targeting my 1 and 5 minute power.
Likes For himespau:
Old 06-15-22, 08:18 AM
furiousferret

I got 2nd in Worlds, which takes a bit of the sting off getting my tail kicked in this weekend. A 115 HS kid was pulling me up the hills and I barely kept on, and I would descend 'good enough' so he could rest. We were about 1 minute ahead of the main group, and even sitting on a wheel, I was still at 5 w/kg for over 10 minutes.

It's also weird going from one of the guys that used to be dead last in this ride, to a mid-pack rider, to a lead pack guy over a span of 10 years. Initially, some guys wouldn't talk to me, even chuckle. I'm assuming because I was fat and slow, then once you get fast they accept you. Not everyone was like that, but you remember that small minority that did. That kind of pushed me for a while tbh.
Likes For furiousferret:
Old 06-15-22, 08:18 AM
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk

I'll do intervals down to 3 min formally but not much less than that. Too intense lol. I save that for racing and race-like rides. I do smash Zwift kOM from time to time which is usually a hair under 2 min
Old 06-15-22, 09:16 AM
Hermes
Version 7.0

We did a fun workout at VSC on Sunday during Madison training with our coach. Every Sunday, there is Madison training/practice instruction with our coach. Since we are training for the state TTT mixed two person event, he put us behind the motor to establish the pack.

We did 40 laps, 40 laps where we had to take a lap on the motor as a team and finally 60 laps. We ran 98 gear inches.

The setup is my coach on the motor, my wife behind the motor and I am on her wheel. During the efforts, Madison teams are doing drills / exchanges and getting on and off my wheel. There is constant traffic on the track passing us and etc.

On the second effort taking a lap on the motor, we were in the pole lane a 25 mph, my wife led out and went over the motor and then we took turns exchanging until we caught the motor and we had to watch for other Madison traffic and exchanges. It took us 14 laps to lap the field and then my wife had to go over the top of the pace line and the guy on the motor opened a gap and we slotted back in - very pro move.

On the final 60 lap effort, I was really glad when it was over. 140 laps on the pursuit bike at 25 mph in a pace line was a lot.

We were practicing on Fiesta yesterday and my legs felt amazing - chainless. We are going to VSC Thursday for some speed work and then race state TTT open division on Saturday.

No Zwift for me.

Last edited by Hermes; 06-15-22 at 09:36 AM.
Likes For Hermes:
Old 06-15-22, 09:45 AM
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk

No Zwift??? Blasphemy!

I rode 90 min of low z2 on Zwift today, nice and easy day. Good social group. Tomorrow, another 60 min on Z in the AM and then the "Quick N Dirty" local MTB race series in the evening, which should be good for 50-60 min of hammering.

This weekend I will also be at SCNCA TTT racing the men's four-person open. Hopefully there is another elite team to compete against. Last year there wasn't. I think our only real competition would be if L3gion of LA put together a team, otherwise we should have this sealed. Our captain (Kevin) won the SCNCA P/1 open ITT last week.

Sunday - hopefully some moderate volume (3-4 hrs), but it is my anniversary weekend so we'll see about all that.
Likes For TMonk:
Old 06-15-22, 12:28 PM
burnthesheep
Newbie racer

Bikes: Propel, red is faster

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 1575 Post(s)
Liked 1,568 Times in 973 Posts
Did an interval free-ride in Watopia today, grabbed 2nd Epic KOM, then 1st on FF reverse, Zwift KOM and Titan's reverse. Sweet.
The TT bike Zwift performances are a joke IMO. I'm vastly faster outdoors same power.

Not to mention how so many people ride TT bikes in Zwift while on the trainer is hooked up a high-stack road bike.
Likes For burnthesheep:
Old 06-15-22, 01:08 PM
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk

I resemble that comment lol. just wanted the FF reverse KOM! Always switch to the TT bike (virtual) but not the real bike before the segment haha. Just having fun

When I do ride the TT bike on the trainer, I just tool around in Tempus and don't really pay much attention to anything other than my interval. Never really go over sweet spot either indoors on the TT bike.
Likes For TMonk:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.