Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

SwissStop vs SRAM OEM pads

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-22, 12:10 PM
dvai

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts

Hi all.

Time to switch my brake pads for the first time (first bike with discs). The set is a SRAM eTap AXS.

I wonder if is worth switching to swissStop pads. (RS model). A bit more expensive than the OEM SRAM but if they feel and work better, I, ok paying the premium.

Also, can I switch to the swissStop without changing the disc? When switching pad compounds you are supposed to change the disc too. But if I stay with an organic compound, switching from SRAM OEM to the SwissStop pads would be ok?

Last edited by dvai; 06-12-22 at 06:24 PM.
Old 06-11-22, 01:12 PM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4733 Post(s)
Liked 1,531 Times in 1,002 Posts
Conceivable that Swisstop is already the maker of the SRAM pads, but not to say they're the same spec.

Came across this Swisstop OEM partnership listing, found interesting -- fwiw a number of SRAM and Zipp products

Old 06-11-22, 05:37 PM
TiHabanero

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1744 Post(s)
Liked 1,370 Times in 719 Posts
I have changed pad compounds on my motorcycle several times without changing the rotors and have had zero negative side affects. Never heard a rotor change was necessary on motorcycles, have a hard time understanding the need on a bicycle.
Old 06-12-22, 05:09 AM
cyclebycle13
Super WW

Bikes: A really light one and a really heavy one.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 43 Times in 15 Posts
I went with the swissstop green (organic) pads and they are slightly quieter (ever so slightly). Once it wet, they squeal.
Old 06-12-22, 03:36 PM
cxwrench

Bikes: lots

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1958 Post(s)
Liked 2,932 Times in 1,489 Posts
OP...BRAKE not break.
Old 06-15-22, 01:37 PM
Psimet2001 
I eat carbide.

Bikes: Lots. Van Dessel and Squid Dealer

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1325 Post(s)
Liked 1,306 Times in 560 Posts
Most of the swisstop OEM work pertains to rim brake compounds. OP is talking Hydraulic disc brake. OP - honestly stay with the SRAM OEM pads. As for changing pads using the same rotor - not really an issue. If the compounds didn't play well together it wouldn't matter much - just bed them in like a normal new pad.

Old 06-15-22, 01:51 PM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4733 Post(s)
Liked 1,531 Times in 1,002 Posts
Originally Posted by Psimet2001
Most of the swisstop OEM work pertains to rim brake compounds. OP is talking Hydraulic disc brake. OP - honestly stay with the SRAM OEM pads. As for changing pads using the same rotor - not really an issue. If the compounds didn't play well together it wouldn't matter much - just bed them in like a normal new pad.
Yeah, I realize that, but isn't it somewhat likely that a materials company like Swisstop (Borflex Rex) would also be leaned on by the likes of SRAM for disc brake pads given the preexisting relationship?
Likes For Sy Reene: