Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Would one TT bike win a full pro team of road racers?

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Would one TT bike win a full pro team of road racers?

Old 06-14-22, 12:29 PM
LarrySellerz

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2644 Post(s)
Liked 474 Times in 344 Posts
Originally Posted by Broctoon
I'm with tempocyclist. The lone TT rider will have a significant aero advantage over a lone rider on a road bike. But with eight pros who know how to rotate through a line and stay on each other's wheel, that advantage would be easily negated. The team would simply wear the lone wolf down in the first few miles, by letting one guy at a time push hard while the others recover and enjoy the aero advantage of drafting. TT guy is more aero than whoever is on the front of the line, but he's gotta be max effort all the time.
yeah assuming equal fitness and a smooth paceline it wouldn't even be close. heck, the racers could probably ride old steel bikes and beat the TT guy, drafting is too powerful
Old 06-14-22, 12:32 PM
LarrySellerz

Originally Posted by burnthesheep
Honestly, nobody asked you. You've for years jumped into topics like this with the recumbent stuff with questionable data, claims, and "this would crush that" nonsense.

You even contradict yourself in your own post when you start backpedalling your claims from "destroy that record" to "there are not too many bent riders who can do that power for 44 minutes".

Right. Weak flex. Weak.

To the rest.........ya'll realize there's stage finish times for TTT's done on road bikes, right? And there's also stage finish times for plenty of pro ITT's. Sorry to say, the road bike TTT's are universally slower. I already posted the example from a real result.

Ganna did 33mph in Imola. Aeroweenie puts a roadie with a .300 CdA on a road bike at 630w for that speed. Which is a great CdA for a road bike setup. Most pros can probably do 630 for 90 seconds? Maybe 120 seconds? Ganna did Imola in about 35min. 35min divided by 2min worth of pulling?

Try again.
The thread is about a gcn video comparing bike speeds, throwing recumbents in the mix is not derailing or crazy. Also recumbents are banned for a reason, they are absolutely killer on flat ground. If any bike was going to beat a pack of riders on a long flatish course it would be a recumbent.
Old 06-14-22, 08:07 PM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 3905 Post(s)
Liked 7,181 Times in 2,905 Posts
Originally Posted by LarrySellerz
GCN is rather absurd, they will put someone stronger on the TT bike and make a contrived video. They are just another arm of Big Gravel trying to n+1 you and the perverse thing is that they always have been.
So, Big Gravel has GCN doing videos about TT bikes vs. road bikes, to get viewers to go out and buy a gravel bike? Damn, those guys are devious!
Likes For tomato coupe:
Old 06-14-22, 08:10 PM
LarrySellerz

Originally Posted by tomato coupe
So, Big Gravel has GCN doing videos about TT bikes vs. road bikes, to get viewers to go out and buy a gravel bike? Damn, those guys are devious!
Yeah you haven't figured that out by now? In said video they will hint at things like wide tires at low pressures are just as fast!
Old 06-14-22, 08:16 PM
tomato coupe

Yeah you haven't figured that out by now? In said video they will hint at things like wide tires at low pressures are just as fast!
I'm just not smart enough to decipher the clever and subtle manipulation by Big Gravel. I guess that's why I'm stuck at n.
Old 06-14-22, 09:01 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10244 Post(s)
Liked 11,597 Times in 5,944 Posts
Originally Posted by tomato coupe
I'm just not smart enough to decipher the clever and subtle manipulation by Big Gravel. I guess that's why I'm stuck at n.
Apparently a comfy and demonstrably faster ride is just a gateway drug.

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Old 06-15-22, 07:15 AM
GhostRider62

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 2332 Post(s)
Liked 2,094 Times in 1,311 Posts
Honestly, nobody asked you. You've for years jumped into topics like this with the recumbent stuff with questionable data, claims, and "this would crush that" nonsense.

You even contradict yourself in your own post when you start backpedalling your claims from "destroy that record" to "there are not too many bent riders who can do that power for 44 minutes".

Right. Weak flex. Weak.

To the rest.........ya'll realize there's stage finish times for TTT's done on road bikes, right? And there's also stage finish times for plenty of pro ITT's. Sorry to say, the road bike TTT's are universally slower. I already posted the example from a real result.

Ganna did 33mph in Imola. Aeroweenie puts a roadie with a .300 CdA on a road bike at 630w for that speed. Which is a great CdA for a road bike setup. Most pros can probably do 630 for 90 seconds? Maybe 120 seconds? Ganna did Imola in about 35min. 35min divided by 2min worth of pulling?

Try again.
Honestly, you are full of crap. USA Cycling does not allow recumbents in races and I have never been allowed to race in any local trials. So, you try again.

Here is my CdA with front light, no skinsuit on, and with a mirror. This is a full 6 months of speed data including many 200k, 300k, 400k, 600k and Paris Brest Paris. OP vaguely asked if a TT bike could win. Mine could.

Old 06-15-22, 08:06 AM
Reflector Guy

Bikes: Bianchi Infinito XE, Via Nirone 7, GT Aggressor Pro

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 599 Post(s)
Liked 1,270 Times in 588 Posts
Originally Posted by genejockey
"..just another arm of Big Gravel"? Like this guy?
That's his business partner, Big Sand. Together they will take over the cycling world.
Likes For Reflector Guy:
Old 06-15-22, 11:27 AM
burnthesheep
Newbie racer

Bikes: Propel, red is faster

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 1575 Post(s)
Liked 1,568 Times in 973 Posts
Originally Posted by GhostRider62
Honestly, you are full of crap. USA Cycling does not allow recumbents in races and I have never been allowed to race in any local trials. So, you try again.

Here is my CdA with front light, no skinsuit on, and with a mirror. This is a full 6 months of speed data including many 200k, 300k, 400k, 600k and Paris Brest Paris. OP vaguely asked if a TT bike could win. Mine could.
You don't ride a TT bike, you ride a recumbent. So no, you try to keep it on topic. "TT bike" isn't remotely vague. There's even a youtube video where Campanaerts already did this in a youtube video..........with a TT bike. TT bike is a recognized class of bike, with geometry and other rules within many series.

You love to derail these topics with your recumbent stuff. It is perfectly fine to be as proud as you are about it, but you don't stay ON TOPIC. Sometimes, it's "close enough" to being on topic. Frequently it isn't. Would it make sense for an unrestricted e-bike person posting up in the topic to contribute to "Would one TT bike win a full pro team of road racers?". No it wouldn't. Neither would a recumbent person trying to wedge into the topic so they can backdoor brag either.

So, here's the results sheet. So........do you deny facts also? Recumbent and handcycle class.
https://www.webscorer.com/race?raceid=277148&embed=1
And........on the USA Cycling page:
Results for Carolinas Cycling Association (NC/SC) Regional Time Trial Championship - USA Cycling

You've got a pride problem with this, and it permeates the forum with some of the topics. Advice is to take it from an 11 down to like a 5 or 6, out of 10.
Likes For burnthesheep:
Old 06-17-22, 10:52 AM
Erzulis Boat 
Le Crocodile

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 367 Post(s)
Liked 771 Times in 311 Posts
Bents are banned for a reason, besides they are afraid of hills, but yes they are killer on flats. I kind of want one.... there is some stigma for some reason though
There is a reason alright. Just look at them.
Likes For Erzulis Boat:
Old 06-17-22, 11:38 AM
LarrySellerz

You don't ride a TT bike, you ride a recumbent. So no, you try to keep it on topic. "TT bike" isn't remotely vague. There's even a youtube video where Campanaerts already did this in a youtube video..........with a TT bike. TT bike is a recognized class of bike, with geometry and other rules within many series.

You love to derail these topics with your recumbent stuff. It is perfectly fine to be as proud as you are about it, but you don't stay ON TOPIC. Sometimes, it's "close enough" to being on topic. Frequently it isn't. Would it make sense for an unrestricted e-bike person posting up in the topic to contribute to "Would one TT bike win a full pro team of road racers?". No it wouldn't. Neither would a recumbent person trying to wedge into the topic so they can backdoor brag either.

So, here's the results sheet. So........do you deny facts also? Recumbent and handcycle class.
Results for Carolinas Cycling Association (NC/SC) Regional Time Trial Championship - USA Cycling

You've got a pride problem with this, and it permeates the forum with some of the topics. Advice is to take it from an 11 down to like a 5 or 6, out of 10.
dude this thread is about comparing bike speeds, obviously a TT bike isn’t faster than 8 roadies drafting efficiently. It’s not even close. Throwing recumbents into the mix is interesting because they are the only bikes outside of bizarre velomobiles that would stand a chance. They are the fastest bikes on flat ground and banned
Old 06-17-22, 12:46 PM
burnthesheep
Newbie racer

dude this thread is about comparing bike speeds, obviously a TT bike isn’t faster than 8 roadies drafting efficiently. It’s not even close.
Did you read my math above? Ganna's UCI TT World's winning speed at Imola (53kph) would require the lead roadie in the group of 8 to be pulling at about 620w. Most of the championship TT's are about 40k. Some pro or worlds routes are longer. Richmond was 33.5 miles. At his TT pace that's an hour. So, you've got to split 60 minutes of 620w among eight riders, somehow. That's not even including the power still required in the draft. Often quoted savings is 45%. So 55% of 620w is 340w. Doable for pros, but there's zero chance they'll be able to recover at 340w then take pulls at 620w. So, 60min divided 8 ways is about 7min each. You think the pros can pull for 7min each at 620w and recover at 340? No. They're good, but not that good.

Power figures courtesy of aeroweenie calc for 80kg bike and rider, 1.19 air density, .195 TT rider CdA, .300 roadie CdA, .400 CRR, and 53 kph. 53kph is what Ganna won Imola doing. Solo.

The math isn't on your side. They've also done pro and cat 1 crits on outdoor velodromes. Those often average about 30mph, with about 35 or 40 riders.

Campanaerts in the youtube video pulled roadies and a TT bike OFF his wheel, not just them racing separate. They couldn't hold his wheel while he rode the TT bike. In the video the Alpecin rider on the road bike is Louis Vervaeke. A pro. Ridden off the wheel. 20th in the 2021 Giro Italia.

C'mon ya'll.........give it up.

Old 06-17-22, 01:23 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 128 Post(s)
Quoted: 4743 Post(s)
Liked 3,860 Times in 2,509 Posts

Right. Weak flex. Weak.

Try again.
Originally Posted by LosPesos
Wow! 630w at front for one hour divided with eight team members... I would say that's impossible. It's not resting behind either.
That 630W for an hour is only for the rider up front. Say they do a continuous rotation; so each rider just keeps the pace and when the rider in front pulls off and drops back behind, he likewise pulls over and slides back. So he spent what? 30 seconds in the full wind at speed? Every 4 minutes does it again. 15 times. Yes, hard but not absurd for a trained pro. With the accelerations that happen racing, he probably does half that every aggressive pro start with a big fight to establish the breakaway. Then he still has to go and race the next 150 kilometers to the finish.
Old 06-17-22, 03:03 PM
DMC707

Bikes: Too many to list

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1764 Post(s)
Liked 1,119 Times in 743 Posts
Originally Posted by Ghazmh
Shirtless Larry would win.
Old 06-18-22, 02:02 PM
merlinextraligh
pan y agua

Bikes: Willier Zero 7; Merlin Extralight; Calfee Dragonfly tandem, Calfee Adventure tandem; Cervelo P2; Motebecane Ti Fly 29er; Motebecanne Phantom Cross; Schwinn Paramount Track bike

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1428 Post(s)
Liked 697 Times in 353 Posts
I always find it ironic that people always talk about how fast recumbents are, yet in practice the recumbent riders I see are rarely fast.

It may be the extra drag from the gray beards that’s the problem.
OR YOU COULD STAY HOME AND FALL OFF THE COUCH AND DIE.
Likes For merlinextraligh:
Old 06-18-22, 03:11 PM
tomato coupe

Originally Posted by merlinextraligh
I always find it ironic that people always talk about how fast recumbents are, yet in practice the recumbent riders I see are rarely fast.

I know one recumbent rider that is pretty fast. The rest are slow, mostly because it's hard to pedal hard when you're constantly telling everyone they should be on a recumbent.
Likes For tomato coupe:
Old 06-30-22, 11:56 AM
Rides4Beer

Bikes: SuperSix Evo | Revolt

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 733 Post(s)
Liked 815 Times in 414 Posts
Originally Posted by merlinextraligh

This. I've been on multiple group rides where a 'bent showed up, and not one single time was that rider ever able to hang with the group. They were dropped, every time, couldn't even hang in a group. But yeah, 'bents are wicked fast.

As for the original argument, it would be interesting to see how many pros it would take to beat a pro on a TT bike. GCN showed that it took four amateurs and a pro to beat an amateur on a TT bike (and just barely). The only question is how many pros it would take to beat the pro on a TT bike.
Old 06-30-22, 07:21 PM
StargazeCyclist

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 9 Posts
Power figures courtesy of aeroweenie calc for 80kg bike and rider, 1.19 air density, .195 TT rider CdA, .300 roadie CdA, .400 CRR, and 53 kph. 53kph is what Ganna won Imola doing. Solo.
It would be interesting to see where the aero advantage of the TT bike comes from. What if the road bike is fitted similarly as the TT (a la @timtak) and riding in invisible aerobar? After all there is no need for comfort for the road bike.
Likes For StargazeCyclist:
Old 06-30-22, 07:31 PM
GhostRider62

Lead pro rider is not going to have a CdA of 0.300, this is as unlikely as a TT rider having a CdA of 0.180, more like 0.250 for the lead rider.

550-600 watts of 20-30 seconds every 2-4 minutes is achievable for a pro.

What do you guys do your Tabata intervals at?
Old 06-30-22, 07:34 PM
GhostRider62

I have not ridden a recumbent bike for over a year. I have a TT bike. You mischaracterized me completely. I have not been a member here for years. I think you mistake me for ridabent member.

What I know about you from here and other forums? You are a relatively new rider. You purchased speed with fancy equipment and probably have a low CdA powered by a mediocre FTP getting you some local TT wins. Big deal. How about you take it down a notch or two
Old 07-01-22, 05:14 AM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 353 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20791 Post(s)
Liked 9,436 Times in 4,663 Posts
How about you take it down a notch or two
Simmer down, Kettle.
Old 07-01-22, 06:43 AM
burnthesheep
Newbie racer

You purchased speed with fancy equipment and probably have a low CdA powered by a mediocre FTP getting you some local TT wins. Big deal. How about you take it down a notch or two
Simply: there are those that do, and those that do not.

The stereotypical ignorant "I could do that with fancier equipment" or in this case "you can only do that due to your wallet" retort. The lazy response to assume one can buy Ganna's bike and go even remotely fast on the bike. Seen it all too many times. Sure, have at it. Open wallet, stay slow.

Again, the best indicator of performance is performance itself. AKA, results. We had a guy on our race team run out and buy the fanciest Cannondale Slice when I was still running my free carbon repaired Felt DA frameset. He couldn't ever get it setup to his liking even with a local fitter, he never rode it. Never tested anything aero-wise with the fit. Sold it, quit TT.

It's 95% in the fit and the legs, and that's all homework and no wallet. But, since you say you have a TT bike you should already know that. Especially if we have posts in this topic with Golden Cheetah virtual elevation going on. That's homework, that's not a wallet. That homework is worth vastly more than the equipment.
Old 07-01-22, 07:45 AM
beng1
Banned

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 790 Post(s)
Liked 348 Times in 195 Posts
Bikes don't win races, people do.
Old 07-01-22, 08:01 AM
Fredo76
The Wheezing Geezer

Bikes: 1976 Fredo Speciale, Jamis Citizen 1, Ellis-Briggs FAVORI, Rivendell Clem Smith Jr.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 393 Post(s)
Liked 856 Times in 422 Posts
No, because a full pro team of road racers is not being offered as a prize.