Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

At what point do you NOT rescue a free bike?

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Old 07-03-22, 06:41 AM
CrimsonEclipse

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 502 Post(s)
Liked 581 Times in 333 Posts

Curb bike, left in the bulk trash area, been there for over 48 hours and no air in the tires so no one rode it there.

Yeah, it's a Huffy. Everything is in good shape, no rust, shockingly good tires.

Remove some labels, some adjustments to the brakes and derailleurs and it'll be ready for donation.

It made me think, at what point would this be not worth it?

Does anyone even want a free bike anymore?
Old 07-03-22, 07:01 AM
Ghazmh

Bikes: 2022 Salsa Beargrease, 2020 Seven Evergreen, 2019 Honey Allroads Ti, 2018 Seven Redsky XX, 2017 Trek Boon 7, 2014 Trek 520

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 693 Post(s)
Liked 903 Times in 486 Posts
At the point I saw it.
Likes For Ghazmh:
Old 07-03-22, 07:16 AM
m.c. 

Quoted: 110 Post(s)
Liked 111 Times in 62 Posts
If it was for myself I wouldn't bother with it. We have a bike shop here that takes donated bikes, fixes them, and give them to kids at Christmas. It could be used for that if it didn't need too much.
Likes For m.c.:
Old 07-03-22, 07:59 AM
thumpism 
Bikes are okay, I guess.

Bikes: Waterford Paramount Touring, Giant CFM-2, Raleigh Sports 3-speeds in M23 & L23, Schwinn Cimarron oddball build, Marin Palisades Trail dropbar conversion, Nishiki Cresta GT

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 2647 Post(s)
Liked 2,445 Times in 1,557 Posts
I don't get them often but only take them if I see a path for them; either to keep or to donate or to fix for someone. Not difficult to pass if it falls outside those lines.
Old 07-03-22, 08:25 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 6099 Post(s)
Liked 4,731 Times in 3,261 Posts
Not every bike needs to be rescued. However steel and aluminum bikes don't need to go in the trash either. They need to go to a scrap yard so their materials get made into something else. If they just go in the trash they'll go to a landfill and sit for eternity.
Likes For Iride01:
Old 07-03-22, 08:41 AM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4251 Post(s)
Liked 3,864 Times in 2,578 Posts
A huffy and similar quality bikes don't need rescue they needed to be put down from the factory. If I found a bike of decent quality I would consider it if not in super rough shape but a bike made from garbage is just going back from where it came.

Though as Iride01 said it should be scrapped or recycled.
Likes For veganbikes:
Old 07-03-22, 01:05 PM
Ironfish653
Dirty Heathen

Bikes: 1997 Cannondale, 1976 Bridgestone, 1998 SoftRide, 1989 Klein, 1989 Black Lightning #0033

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 889 Post(s)
Liked 906 Times in 534 Posts
Unless you have a lot of parts hanging around, it's usually a loosing proposition to 'save' an abandoned department-store bike.
I'll admit to being a bit of a scrapper when it comes to 'found' bikes. I keep two stashes of spares; one for 'my' projects and one for any 'BSO flips' that come my way.
I'll almost always look one over; if it's not in near-rideable condition, then whether it's got any components worth salvaging. got a couple of Exage DR's and 7-sp Alivio rapid-fires that way.

I've got a pretty good stash of 2nd-hand / patched 26" shraeder tubes and a handful of take-off chains that have been 'pickled' in ATF; since tubes and chains are the most likely reasons an otherwise intact bike would get dumped. If it needs much more than that, though, I'm probably going to take a pass.
Likes For Ironfish653:
Old 07-03-22, 01:44 PM
Mojo31
-------

Quoted: 9524 Post(s)
Liked 6,267 Times in 3,455 Posts
Depends. Does it come with a half-empty bottle of cheap vodka?
Old 07-03-22, 02:11 PM
Rolla

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1346 Post(s)
Liked 3,269 Times in 1,439 Posts
Melt it down and turn it into something useful, like a beer can.
Old 07-03-22, 02:57 PM
reroll

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked 37 Times in 30 Posts
Restoration could cost more than the cost of a new bike, yet about ten feet away from me is a 1983 lugged steel frame bike which was in near perfect condition but about to go away in a dumpster and since then I have put a lot of time, effort and money into it because they don't make them like they used to.

Edit: I like the way '70s and '80s steel road bikes ride but they work even better with expensive, more modern components and features.

Last edited by reroll; 07-08-22 at 09:25 AM.
Likes For reroll:
Old 07-03-22, 04:00 PM
cyclist2000

Bikes: Masi, Giant TCR, Eisentraut (retired), Jamis Aurora Elite, Zullo, Cannondale, 84 & 93 Stumpjumpers, Waterford, Tern D8, Bianchi, Gunner Roadie, Serotta, Serotta Duette, was gifted a Diamond Back

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 305 Post(s)
Liked 2,038 Times in 604 Posts
I don't bother, I might if it was something special. But I haven't seen that before.
Likes For cyclist2000:
Old 07-03-22, 09:38 PM
t2p

Bikes: Cannondale - Gary Fisher - Giant - Litespeed - Schwinn Paramount - Schwinn (lugged steel) - Trek OCLV

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1355 Post(s)
Liked 1,802 Times in 1,037 Posts

this bike was rescued from a dumpster

needed chain, rear derailleur, and rear wheel trued
Old 07-03-22, 09:51 PM
Russ Roth

Bikes: 2010 Carrera Volans, 2015 C-Dale Trail 2sl, 2017 Raleigh Rush Hour, 2017 Blue Proseccio, 1992 Giant Perigee, 80s Gitane Rallye Tandem

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1073 Post(s)
Liked 999 Times in 710 Posts
Usually I consider anything with bolt-on wheels not worth bothering with and the exceptions are incredibly few and far between. There are some entry level bike shop road bikes from the 80s that might make the cut. Anything department store may be worth salvaging tires/tubes but is usually scrap as is most any 70s bolt-on wheel bike. If it doesn't come with aluminum rims and a QR skewer it isn't worth taking a look at for me, I've got better things to do with my time.
Old 07-03-22, 09:53 PM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

Bikes: old ones

Mentioned: 304 Post(s)
Quoted: 26245 Post(s)
Liked 10,229 Times in 7,098 Posts
Originally Posted by CrimsonEclipse
?
...when I see it's a Huffy, I quickly run away.
Old 07-03-22, 10:12 PM
rosefarts
With a mighty wind

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1073 Post(s)
Liked 841 Times in 475 Posts
Originally Posted by CrimsonEclipse

Curb bike, left in the bulk trash area, been there for over 48 hours and no air in the tires so no one rode it there.

Yeah, it's a Huffy. Everything is in good shape, no rust, shockingly good tires.

Remove some labels, some adjustments to the brakes and derailleurs and it'll be ready for donation.

It made me think, at what point would this be not worth it?

Does anyone even want a free bike anymore?
you asked the wrong question.

At what point is a bike worth rescuing?

Financially, basically never.

Only ever rescue a bike if it’s something you’d personally like to ride or give to a friend. At that, it needs to be a pretty good friend for even that to make sense.
Old 07-03-22, 11:16 PM
MarcusT

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 759 Post(s)
Liked 599 Times in 340 Posts
Economics. My parts box is well supplied, but if I have to pay for anything more than new tires, it's not worth it.
If it's a project bike, I might spend more
Likes For MarcusT:
Old 07-04-22, 11:49 AM
sovende

Bikes: TNTL (Too numerous to list)

Quoted: 184 Post(s)
Liked 147 Times in 115 Posts
I will give most any “abandoned” bike I see, at the very least, a once over look. I have plenty of decent bikes in my “to be rehabilitated” cue and don’t feel the need to rescue everyone that I see. Big Box/ Department store bikes (Huffy, Roadmaster, most anything from WalMart, etc.) get to continue their “curbside naps”!
Old 07-04-22, 07:39 PM
SurferRosa
señor miembro

Bikes: '70s - '80s Campagnolo

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 3846 Post(s)
Liked 6,437 Times in 3,183 Posts
No pics from the op?
Old 07-05-22, 12:36 AM
Camilo

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1106 Post(s)
Liked 1,197 Times in 758 Posts
I wouldn't "rescue" anything unless it was a frame I knew was decent and one that I needed, and/or there were identifiable parts that were worth something or that I needed.
Likes For Camilo:
Old 07-05-22, 05:01 AM
Herzlos

Bikes: Way too many

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 823 Post(s)
Liked 584 Times in 345 Posts
When it stops being worth the hassle.

Basically, if it's to get cleaned up and donated to someone, then one that'll need no more than maybe $20 in parts - new inner tubes, brake pads and maybe a tire or 2. Hobby time is essentially free.

For myself, where the cost of the parts is more than about half of what I could buy a good condition equivalent for.
Old 07-05-22, 06:56 PM
easyupbug 

Bikes: too many sparkly Italians, some sweet Americans and a couple interesting Japanese

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 560 Post(s)
Liked 546 Times in 396 Posts
We and most large cities have a branch of the International Rescue Committee who help people with a way to get to a job which benefits all of us. If I think I can get it to a reasonable/safe level for a little money and it can get someone by for at least 6 months I will do it.
Old 07-08-22, 04:35 AM
Jax Rhapsody
Rhapsodic Laviathan

Bikes: Rideable; 83 Schwinn High Sierra. Two cruiser, bmx bike, one other mtb, three road frames, one citybike.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 222 Post(s)
Liked 123 Times in 91 Posts
Originally Posted by 3alarmer
...when I see it's a Huffy, I quickly run away.
I enjoy a nice Cranbrook here and there- have had like five of them.
Old 07-08-22, 07:34 AM
himespau 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 4195 Post(s)
Liked 2,911 Times in 1,780 Posts
If it's a nice frame and will fit me or a family member (or has parts I want), it's worth rescuing. Otherwise, not. I don't have enough time to ride as it is and have a couple bikes in the build queue. No time for projects that will just suck up budget and space.
Likes For himespau:
Old 07-08-22, 07:38 AM
Clyde1820

Bikes: 1996 Trek 970 ZX Single Track 2x11

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 610 Post(s)
Liked 558 Times in 423 Posts
Curb bike, left in the bulk trash area, been there for over 48 hours and no air in the tires so no one rode it there. Yeah, it's a Huffy. Everything is in good shape, no rust, shockingly good tires. Remove some labels, some adjustments to the brakes and derailleurs and it'll be ready for donation.
A bike of that tape, if that's all that was required then it'd seem a good candidate for a donation-grade bike. Some kid would enjoy it, I'm sure, someone who didn't have a bike. Once of the nice things about bike co-op type places is they can usually get something like this to someone who needs it ... or, use it as a "project" platform for people learning to wrench for the first time.

I might have picked it up and brought it to the co-op in my area, if I thought they could use it.

For me, as with most people, the dividing line is where I believe the resulting value won't be worth the effort. (The line is different for everyone. My own Trek 970, $100 frame w/ original parts, but I've ended up replacing every single part on it. Probably not a value, but it still turned out far better than I had hoped. Worth it, to me.)
Old 07-08-22, 09:07 AM
base2 
I am potato.

Bikes: Only precision built, custom high performance elitist machines of the highest caliber. 🍆

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 1764 Post(s)
Liked 1,577 Times in 910 Posts
I usually try to direct people to email photographs if they are able.
Anything by Pacific Cycles or Dynacraft (Schwinn, Mongoose, Next, Road Master, etc...) or anything with neglected or dubious suspension quality, I'll usually decline.

An unfortunate truth is: Rim braked road bikes just don't sell. Even less so if they are vintage or have down tube shifters. It is difficult to even get customers to look at them. Unless a bike has some compelling merits, I'll usually decline. I have a beautiful Giordana, & an Olmo, that have been in the shop for at least a year. A Jeunet that we finally donated to Ukrainian & Afghanistan refugees after 3 years, a Bianchi Campione that likewise sat for about 3 years...Sold it for $100 just to get the floor space. Road bike people have to have the newest, latest & greatest high tech. No matter how good a bike is, vintage is neither.

When on the telephone, I use terms like "exceedingly rusty," "weathered," or sometimes "suitable for a second life" to ward off galvanized spokes, stuck nipples, dry rotted tires, flaking paint, swole up galvanized cables & otherwise low end components. People who leave their bikes outside generally don't have worthy bikes to begin with. (Phrased differently: Worthy bikes don't generally get left outside.)

If they show up in person, I evaluate the bike itself. Sometime exceptions are made one way or the other, but I'll generally lean towards acceptance because the customer made an effort & that is important in a Customer/Public Relations context.

A few bike brands are almost guaranteed acceptance: Trek, Special Ed, Giant, Bianchi, Klein, Cannondale, Novara, Fuji, Norco, Sekai, Raleigh, Centurion, anything Campy or any bike equipped with an IGH...You know, bikes that were/are reputable & would/could be reconditioned/repaired at "not a loss" with volunteer labor.

It is remarkably easy to dump $100 in parts into a bike just to make something safe & functional. Then another $100 in paid labor time to fix/repair/rework a volunteers efforts. Still, at a $250 average price tag about 30% of customers remain unimpressed.

Last edited by base2; 07-08-22 at 09:16 AM.
Likes For base2: