Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Gonna Build a Titanium Bike !!

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-21, 10:06 AM
Rdmonster69
Shawn of the Dead

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 277 Post(s)
Liked 448 Times in 216 Posts

I have built some bikes in the past , both for myself and friends. I have done some ground ups and some mash ups of old and new parts. This will be more or less a mash up.

I just bought what appears to be a 2000 model year Lightspeed 59cm "Classic". Some investigation says that welded cable bosses, braze on front DR hanger, "Lightspeed" engraved BB and an "L" in the dropouts are all 2000 model year features. If someone knows different let me know. I usually ride a 58 but they are close to being too small for me in older style geometry bikes. My new Domane is great at 58 but my old Trek 2.3 seems a bit small so I imagine 59 will work fine.

The Carbon fork on my 2.3 will fit and has the same rake per complete Classic's that I have read about online. (40mm). I can switch all the parts from my 2.3 to this frame if I choose but I plan to do a few cooler things as money affords. I plan on buying a mountain bike in the spring so what I do money wise may be predicated on that idea.

Any thoughts or suggestions are welcome. The frame appears to be in good shape. It has some wear on the driveline side and no downtube decals but overall the frame looks to be in great shape from the pics I saw. The seller sent me close up pics of the wear and the threads of the BB and DR and they look great.

Paid 500 bux plus shipping so I thought it was a pretty good deal.
Likes For Rdmonster69:
Old 11-03-21, 10:20 AM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7652 Post(s)
Liked 3,473 Times in 1,834 Posts
It's titanium? Are you sure? Did you try the file-and-ignite test?

I used to want titanium, until I realized that any bike made out of anything more durable than papier mache was going to be a "lifetime" bike for me ....

But I still envy you.

Seems the Domane is your "comfort" road bike, so the Ti will replace the Trek 2.3 as the "quick" bike?
Old 11-03-21, 10:29 AM
RH Clark

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 538 Post(s)
Liked 466 Times in 259 Posts
Hope all goes well. Minutely inspect frame and fork though before spending component money.
Old 11-03-21, 10:39 AM
Rdmonster69
Shawn of the Dead

Originally Posted by Maelochs
It's titanium? Are you sure? Did you try the file-and-ignite test?

Seems the Domane is your "comfort" road bike, so the Ti will replace the Trek 2.3 as the "quick" bike?
LoL !! As a Lightspeed I hope it's Ti !!

I was still riding the 2.3 a fair amount and if this turns out as good as I am hoping it will it will get plenty of seat time. I think with the slightly larger frame and a few new components I may get more comfort out of it than the 2.3. Hopefully it will be quick and comfortable and fun to build. I will certainly know by next spring !!

The Domane has met my expectations so I know that I have a great all day bike....just always wanted a Titanium bike.
Old 11-03-21, 10:41 AM
Rdmonster69
Shawn of the Dead

Originally Posted by RH Clark
Hope all goes well. Minutely inspect frame and fork though before spending component money.

Good advice to be sure. Pic's don't tell the whole story but if ilooks really good. If it's not as described I can at least contest the charges. I am pretty experienced buyer of used stuff !!
Likes For Rdmonster69:
Old 11-03-21, 03:30 PM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7652 Post(s)
Liked 3,473 Times in 1,834 Posts
Yuo0 realize you are now obligated to post numerous pics and start a dedicated Build thread, right?

Likes For Maelochs:
Old 11-03-21, 03:56 PM
Paul Barnard
For The Fun of It

Bikes: Lynskey GR300, Lynskey Backroad, Litespeed T6, Lynskey MT29, Burley Duet

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 2135 Post(s)
Liked 1,646 Times in 828 Posts
I recommend building titanium bikes. Got what will be my third one in the mail today.

Likes For Paul Barnard:
Old 11-03-21, 04:52 PM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4733 Post(s)
Liked 1,532 Times in 1,003 Posts
Originally Posted by Paul Barnard
I recommend building titanium bikes. Got what will be my third one in the mail today.

That's a nice dining room table project!
Likes For Sy Reene:
Old 11-03-21, 05:04 PM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4733 Post(s)
Liked 1,532 Times in 1,003 Posts
A 59cm Litespeed from that era, is about the same as a 58cm Emonda from this era.. but with a bit shorter head tube.
Likes For Sy Reene:
Old 11-03-21, 08:04 PM
Rdmonster69
Shawn of the Dead

Originally Posted by Maelochs
Yuo0 realize you are now obligated to post numerous pics and start a dedicated Build thread, right?

Frame has shipped ....build thread and pics for sure !
Likes For Rdmonster69:
Old 11-03-21, 08:49 PM
Litespeedlouie

Bikes: Litespeed, O'Brien, Specialized, Fuji

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 9 Posts
Litespeed sells replacement decals:
https://litespeed.com/collections/li...c-2000-classic

What's the seat binder bolt like?
Old 11-03-21, 08:50 PM
Rdmonster69
Shawn of the Dead

Originally Posted by Litespeedlouie
Litespeed sells replacement decals:
https://litespeed.com/collections/li...c-2000-classic

What's the seat binder bolt like?
It has a campagnolo binder bolt in the pic

thanks for the link !
Old 11-03-21, 09:04 PM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Bikes: 15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, 76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, 17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, 12 Breezer Venturi, 09 Dahon Mariner, 12 Mercier Nano, 95 DeKerf Team SL, 19 Tern Rally, 21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, 19 T-Lab X3, 91 Serotta CII, 23 3T Strada

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 3136 Post(s)
Liked 1,704 Times in 1,029 Posts
Originally Posted by Rdmonster69
LoL !! As a Lightspeed I hope it's Ti !!
Litespeed did some carbon fiber bikes, including the Ci2:

Likes For chaadster:
Old 11-03-21, 10:35 PM
Litespud

Bikes: 2000 Litespeed Vortex Chorus 10, 1995 DeBernardi Cromor S/S

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 645 Post(s)
Liked 797 Times in 446 Posts
I have built some bikes in the past , both for myself and friends. I have done some ground ups and some mash ups of old and new parts. This will be more or less a mash up.

I just bought what appears to be a 2000 model year Lightspeed 59cm "Classic". Some investigation says that welded cable bosses, braze on front DR hanger, "Lightspeed" engraved BB and an "L" in the dropouts are all 2000 model year features. If someone knows different let me know. I usually ride a 58 but they are close to being too small for me in older style geometry bikes. My new Domane is great at 58 but my old Trek 2.3 seems a bit small so I imagine 59 will work fine.

The Carbon fork on my 2.3 will fit and has the same rake per complete Classic's that I have read about online. (40mm). I can switch all the parts from my 2.3 to this frame if I choose but I plan to do a few cooler things as money affords. I plan on buying a mountain bike in the spring so what I do money wise may be predicated on that idea.

Any thoughts or suggestions are welcome. The frame appears to be in good shape. It has some wear on the driveline side and no downtube decals but overall the frame looks to be in great shape from the pics I saw. The seller sent me close up pics of the wear and the threads of the BB and DR and they look great.

Paid 500 bux plus shipping so I thought it was a pretty good deal.
Yes, the welded FD hanger says "Classic", and the engraved BB shell and "L" dropout cutouts say "2000 or later". Does it have a 1" or 1 1/8" head tube? AFAIK the 1 1/8" head tube was introduced for the 2001 model year. $500 is a steal for that frame, IMO - it's a classic in every sense of the word - well done (I paid $1100 for my used 2000 Vortex frameset BITD). You can still get "heritage decals" for many classic LS models - I can for the Vortex - every 10 years or so, I strip the frame down, clean it up and replace the decals, which are well faded, abraded and cracked by then. With new decals, the frame looks like it just came from the factory, even though it's going on 22 years and >60,000 miles.
Old 11-03-21, 10:40 PM
Litespud

Bikes: 2000 Litespeed Vortex Chorus 10, 1995 DeBernardi Cromor S/S

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 645 Post(s)
Liked 797 Times in 446 Posts
Damn, that GR300's nice....
Old 11-03-21, 10:55 PM
thehammerdog

Bikes: Road bike is a Carbon Bianchi C2C & Grandis (1980's), Gary Fisher Mt Bike, Trek Tandem & Mongoose SS MTB circa 1992.

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 722 Post(s)
Liked 353 Times in 226 Posts
Originally Posted by chaadster
Litespeed did some carbon fiber bikes, including the Ci2:

i recall those bikes i thought they were cool.
how u like it. i saw one for sale recently. i need a project frame.
Old 11-03-21, 11:09 PM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Bikes: 15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, 76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, 17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, 12 Breezer Venturi, 09 Dahon Mariner, 12 Mercier Nano, 95 DeKerf Team SL, 19 Tern Rally, 21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, 19 T-Lab X3, 91 Serotta CII, 23 3T Strada

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 3136 Post(s)
Liked 1,704 Times in 1,029 Posts
Originally Posted by thehammerdog
i recall those bikes i thought they were cool.
how u like it. i saw one for sale recently. i need a project frame.
Sorry, but I don’t have one, nor do I know anything about them, unfortunately.
Old 11-04-21, 05:55 AM
TiHabanero

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1744 Post(s)
Liked 1,370 Times in 719 Posts
The Litespeed Classic is a great ride and you will soon find out why ti frames are so coveted. They have the lively feel of top shelf steel, don't scratch or chip, and the color of ti is great. Excellent choice.
Likes For TiHabanero:
Old 11-04-21, 09:53 AM
BobG

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 318 Post(s)
Liked 117 Times in 82 Posts
My '98 Litespeed Classic, 51 cm. I use the stem riser during the winter season on trainers ...

Old 11-04-21, 02:26 PM
easyupbug 

Bikes: too many sparkly Italians, some sweet Americans and a couple interesting Japanese

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Liked 581 Times in 409 Posts
Caution: Litespeed large panel decals

As you can see below my Firenze DT & ST decals, from Litespeed, applied last year cracked up within a year. They are supplied to Litespeed by SSSINK who make the original and replacement decals. After talking with Sean at Litespeed and Chris at SSSINK this is what I learned. The large panel decals on my Classic and Firenze are prone to failure and they have gotten away from the large panels on later models. The cause, which as a mechanical engineer I do not understand, is said to be not flushing the frame with clean water after decal removal and "microflexing" of the Ti tubes. I know the DT and ST are in compression so it is not clear to me but these guys have the experience and the smaller decals like the stays did not crack, so I will try again with water only after cleaning the tubing and as suggested by Chris follow up with a clear coat to the large panels. Excellent customer service from Litespeed.
Likes For easyupbug:
Old 11-05-21, 06:17 AM
fishboat

Bikes: Lemond '01 Maillot Jaune, Lemond '02 Victoire, Lemond '03 Poprad, Lemond '03 Wayzata DB conv(Poprad), '79 AcerMex Windsor Carrera Professional(pur new), '88 GT Tequesta(pur new), '01 Bianchi Grizzly, 1993 Trek 970 DB conv, Trek 8900 DB conv

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 759 Post(s)
Liked 810 Times in 471 Posts
Originally Posted by easyupbug
As you can see below my Firenze DT & ST decals, from Litespeed, applied last year cracked up within a year. They are supplied to Litespeed by SSSINK who make the original and replacement decals. After talking with Sean at Litespeed and Chris at SSSINK this is what I learned. The large panel decals on my Classic and Firenze are prone to failure and they have gotten away from the large panels on later models. The cause, which as a mechanical engineer I do not understand, is said to be not flushing the frame with clean water after decal removal and "microflexing" of the Ti tubes. I know the DT and ST are in compression so it is not clear to me but these guys have the experience and the smaller decals like the stays did not crack, so I will try again with water only after cleaning the tubing and as suggested by Chris follow up with a clear coat to the large panels. Excellent customer service from Litespeed.
...I'm a retired polymer chemist..I doubt the flushing with water thing will have any impact on the outcome. It appears the material the decal is made from either doesn't allow (follow) any expansion/contraction of the Ti or the decal is drying out(plasticizers are migrating out of the film) or the adhesive isn't allowing movement while the decal moves or.....

You might be better served to obtain (possibly) a vinyl decal as they seem to do better over the longer term.

You might also ask a sign company..(the old guy that owns the place, not the kid behind the counter) as they may have some insight into failure modes.
Old 11-05-21, 09:14 AM
DMC707

Bikes: Too many to list

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1765 Post(s)
Liked 1,124 Times in 746 Posts
GReat bikes -- worthy of spending some money on components as well (unless your idea of a "mash up" is pretty trick )

I just refurbished my 2002 pretty recently - it was painted and i havent gotten around to the decals yet - and not sure i care to at this point --- but it cleaned up nicely and has a satin finish. Build out is Record 10 speed carbon --- cranks are FSA carbon as they complement the Campy stuff very well , but are compact .ITs rounded out with Thomson for the cockpit and some very trick "retro" bar tape (3.99 on Amazon, but i like re-living the 90's ! )

Given all the carbon highlights on this, id like to source some carbon hoops for it, but really cant justify them in my mind yet ------ weighs 18.75 with those clunky dual sided SPD's as it sits, so its light enough.

I'm coming off a 2017 carbon S Works Tarmac that i sold to fund a new mountain bike though, so i was surprised at how firm the ride of the bike is compared to the modern machine, as i hadnt spent any miles on the bike in probably over a decade

Likes For DMC707:
Old 11-05-21, 09:28 AM
Rdmonster69
Shawn of the Dead

Originally Posted by DMC707
GReat bikes -- worthy of spending some money on components as well (unless your idea of a "mash up" is pretty trick )
As I contemplate my options the idea of a mash up is receding and a dedicated parts group (probably Ultegra if I can find it) becomes more likely. I have several likely carbon forks on my Ebay watchlist and am planning on a Chris King head set and BB. Would like it to be a great old/new combo. May even have a bike shop install the headset as I don't want to mess it up. I have done them before with no real issues but I want this build to be trick and certainly dont wanna mess up a trick part.

FWIW I like the new Ultegra on my Domane SLR quite a bit and I doubt I can justify springing for a Dura-Ace set up. I could afford it but would have to give up some other toy in the spring and I have motorcycles to service too lol.

Super cool bike BTW !!
Old 11-05-21, 10:14 AM
DMC707

Bikes: Too many to list

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1765 Post(s)
Liked 1,124 Times in 746 Posts
As I contemplate my options the idea of a mash up is receding and a dedicated parts group (probably Ultegra if I can find it) becomes more likely. I have several likely carbon forks on my Ebay watchlist and am planning on a Chris King head set and BB. Would like it to be a great old/new combo. May even have a bike shop install the headset as I don't want to mess it up. I have done them before with no real issues but I want this build to be trick and certainly dont wanna mess up a trick part.

FWIW I like the new Ultegra on my Domane SLR quite a bit and I doubt I can justify springing for a Dura-Ace set up. I could afford it but would have to give up some other toy in the spring and I have motorcycles to service too lol.

Super cool bike BTW !!

Now youre' talkin ! Ultegra is nice stuff ! I have early memories of riding with my first cycling club in 1992 and one of the old salts there had a titanium bike - it was either a Merlin or Litespeed , as thats about all there were then --- but his was satin Ti with the old Ultegra 600 tri color 8 speed group on it with the battleship gray painted finish , but with purple anodized Topline or Cook Bros cranks , and a few other purple anodized bits and pieces on it to spice it up

Must have left an impression on me as i still remember that bike to this day !
Old 11-05-21, 11:57 AM
Rdmonster69
Shawn of the Dead

Originally Posted by DMC707
Now youre' talkin ! Ultegra is nice stuff ! I have early memories of riding with my first cycling club in 1992 and one of the old salts there had a titanium bike - it was either a Merlin or Litespeed , as thats about all there were then --- but his was satin Ti with the old Ultegra 600 tri color 8 speed group on it with the battleship gray painted finish , but with purple anodized Topline or Cook Bros cranks , and a few other purple anodized bits and pieces on it to spice it up

Must have left an impression on me as i still remember that bike to this day !
I found a few places online with partial Ultegra groupsets in stock (shifters, chain, cassette, F+R derailleurs and rim brakes) for about 500 bucks. Add about 300 or so for a new Ultegra crankset and I would be mostly done. Wheelset and the small parts, The Domane is gonna get jealous !!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.