Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

frame bag and wind

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

frame bag and wind

Old 05-25-22, 10:48 PM
Symox

Bikes: '23 Poseidon Redwood, '07 Specialized Roubaix Comp Triple, '12 Gravity Fixie, '21 Liv Rove 4, '06? Giant EB Spirit

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 345 Post(s)
Liked 237 Times in 151 Posts
frame bag and wind

I've been using a full frame bag (Apidura Expedition 6L - GREAT product). I hadn't noticed it before, but on windy days I'm finding the bike gets pushed around in cross winds. This was really pronounced when I loaded the bike down with a rear rack and panniers and 30lbs of gear (NOT a touring bike so stability got worse with more weight).

My question is, is it normal for a road bike with a full frame bag to be sensitive to crosswinds? Seems like a silly question but I really didn't notice this when I loaded down the bike with only the frame bag and not panniers.

I suspect geometry and center of balance are factors

I'm using a Specialized Roubaix btw
Old 05-25-22, 11:04 PM
HTupolev

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 1971 Post(s)
Liked 1,297 Times in 629 Posts
Originally Posted by Symox
(NOT a touring bike so stability got worse with more weight).
Even touring bikes can lose stability when rear-heavy. They're usually better at dealing with it than non-touring bikes with otherwise-similar construction, but it's a poor situation to begin with. When I put large loads on my Campeur, I try to put the heavy stuff onto the front low-riders. So for instance, this...

...handles far better than this...

...even though the bicycle is carrying far more weight in the first photo.
Likes For HTupolev:
Old 05-25-22, 11:04 PM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 2185 Post(s)
Liked 3,337 Times in 1,742 Posts
Yes.

I don't like frame bags for this reason, and they don't hold much. Bikepackers like them because they don't stick out.

In my experience, the most stable configuration is two panniers mounted on low riders on the front. It looks like it would be unstable, but it isn't.

Jan Heine provides an extreme example:

Last edited by Polaris OBark; 05-25-22 at 11:09 PM.
Likes For Polaris OBark:
Old 05-26-22, 12:42 AM
Camilo

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1106 Post(s)
Liked 1,197 Times in 758 Posts
Why would you be surprised that a frame pack would be susceptible to winds? It's like a sail!
Likes For Camilo:
Old 05-26-22, 04:29 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18320 Post(s)
Liked 15,290 Times in 7,228 Posts
Originally Posted by HTupolev
Even touring bikes can lose stability when rear-heavy. They're usually better at dealing with it than non-touring bikes with otherwise-similar construction, but it's a poor situation to begin with. When I put large loads on my Campeur, I try to put the heavy stuff onto the front low-riders. So for instance, this...

...handles far better than this...

...even though the bicycle is carrying far more weight in the first photo.
A man after my own heart.

Likes For indyfabz:
Old 06-27-22, 12:54 AM
apkrage

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for the comprehensive detail.
Old 06-28-22, 08:08 AM
alcjphil

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1792 Post(s)
Liked 1,671 Times in 955 Posts
Anyone who drove an early VW Beetle can easily realize how much rear heavy weight balance can affect handling in cross winds
Likes For alcjphil:
Old 06-29-22, 07:32 PM
jackb

Bikes: Trek Domane SL5, Trek Checkpoint SL5, Cannndale Trail SE 4, Specialized Langster

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 157 Post(s)
Liked 128 Times in 69 Posts
I have a frame bag on my 2022 Checkpoint SL5. Haven's noticed any wind problems but it's tough to get large sized water bottles into the cages.
Old 06-30-22, 02:09 PM
Calsun
Banned

Quoted: 608 Post(s)
Liked 382 Times in 288 Posts
On my long tours I only use rear panniers but have experienced problems with cross winds or tractor trailer rigs passing by me on the road. There is a section on Hwy 1 in Big Sur known as Hurricane Point and going south from this area I had a gust come down a ravine that moved me and my bicycle a couple feet to the right. It happened so fast I did not have time to worry about crashing.

Windiest in the afternoon hours so better to ride in the morning or at night (if practical).
Old 09-05-22, 07:15 PM
Symox

Bikes: '23 Poseidon Redwood, '07 Specialized Roubaix Comp Triple, '12 Gravity Fixie, '21 Liv Rove 4, '06? Giant EB Spirit

Quoted: 345 Post(s)
Liked 237 Times in 151 Posts
Update

Originally Posted by pintvideodownlo;[url=tel:22637432
22637432[/url]]Any latest updates?
I’ve slimmed down my packing so I can get away with a rear rack and two small Ortlieb panniers for 25L of storage (lots of room). I’m selling the frame bag as I tested this setup on my bike and it does better. Plus I have the main triangle for water bottles
Old 09-12-22, 05:37 PM
Calsun
Banned

Quoted: 608 Post(s)
Liked 382 Times in 288 Posts
I do not use front panniers as I do not want the wind to affect the steering of the bike. Even with only rear panniers and my body I was at a place on Hwy 1 in California that is aptly called Hurricane Point and I had the bike lifted up and set down about 2 feet closer to the center of the highway. A lot less wind during the morning than the afternoon hours so it helps to plan accordingly.
Old 09-12-22, 06:05 PM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

Quoted: 2185 Post(s)
Liked 3,337 Times in 1,742 Posts
I live about 3 miles up the hill from Hwy 1, and have lots of crosswinds to contend with. Front panniers centered on the front axle won't negatively affect the steering on the bike in a crosswind -- in fact they will help to stabilize it. Panniers up higher on a rear rack can wag the tail of the bike to some extent. If I need only two panniers, I put them on the front only. If I need four, I load them 60/40 front/rear.