Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Weight of your touring bike?

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-22, 08:11 AM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2229 Post(s)
Liked 3,412 Times in 1,783 Posts

My bike (Soma Saga) with front and rear racks, pedals, bottle holders, etc., but unloaded, weighs in at just over 30 lbs.

This makes me a bit worried that I may have over-done it. Is this atypically heavy, or about normal? Is it silly to even worry about weight before I start to load it up?

If it is not too personal, where does your racked but unloaded bike tip the scales?

(The main contributors in my case include robust wheels, Redshift stem and seatposts, and Tubus front and rear racks. I think the extra weight in each of these cases is more than justified, but it does add up.)
Likes For Polaris OBark:
Old 06-04-22, 09:26 AM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 3455 Post(s)
Liked 1,454 Times in 1,133 Posts
My lightest touring bike (Lynskey Backroad) with no gear on the racks and no handlebar bag is 34.8 pounds with front and rear racks, water bottle cages, fenders, pedals, leather saddle, bracket for handlebar bag, pump, dynohub, dyno powered lights and USB charger, and touring weight tires. I do not remember if that includes a heavy lock, it is a titanium bike so the lock (Abus Bordo 6100) has to be heavy to offset the lightness of the bike.

There is light, and there is toooooo light. On touring bikes you need robust, reliable, easy to replace components, ease in repair, etc. I could have built this bike with fewer spokes, lighter rims, lighter tires, lighter saddle, etc. But I want a bike that will last and be comfortable to ride for the distance.

Photo includes handlebar bag (not included in the weight) but is missing the front rack (Tubus Tara that is included in weight total). And looking at the photo, that is not my touring wheel that has a Dyad rim and 36 spokes, a lighter wheel I sometimes use for riding around near home is on the bike in the photo.

Photo below is five years old, a few things have changed since.

My other two touring bikes are heavier. But I am going to get enough grief about saying what the bike above actually weighs, so I will stay silent on my other bikes.
Likes For Tourist in MSN:
Old 06-04-22, 09:33 AM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

Thanks. That is a good reality check/calibration. What is hanging from the top tube in the first pic? Do you prefer the sprung saddle?
Old 06-04-22, 09:47 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18404 Post(s)
Liked 15,496 Times in 7,318 Posts
I’m sure it’s over 35 lbs with the relatively heavy wheels I had built for it and the non-standard seat post. Also, it’s a 60 cm frame, and I have a platform front rack.
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 06-04-22, 10:03 AM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Originally Posted by Polaris OBark
Thanks. That is a good reality check/calibration. What is hanging from the top tube in the first pic? Do you prefer the sprung saddle?
The sprung saddle smooths out vibration a bit when riding on rough chip seal, but the springs are really stiff so you do not compress the springs much and when you hit a hard bump, it is just as hard with a sprung saddle. And yes it is heavier. I have that saddle on most of my bikes, have the non-sprung equivalent to it on my road bike and on a vintage bike.

The bracket for the lock is hanging from the top tube, that is the bracket that came with it. The lock in the bracket vibrates a bit and make some noise, so I added the velcro strap to reduce any vibration noise.
Old 06-04-22, 10:17 AM
10 Wheels
Galveston County Texas

Bikes: 02 GTO, 2011 Magnum

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1349 Post(s)
Liked 1,243 Times in 621 Posts
Just The bike 35 lbs

Likes For 10 Wheels:
Old 06-04-22, 10:43 AM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3225 Post(s)
Liked 2,056 Times in 1,174 Posts
Miyata City Liner (I know it says Peckham, story behind that). Lugged steel, had it 25 years now, am finally about to start actually touring on it, having purchased Axiom and Roswheel racks and Ortleib F & R panniers. Weight with the F & R racks is a reasonable 31.1 lbs.

Last edited by Steve B.; 06-04-22 at 11:08 AM.
Likes For Steve B.:
Old 06-04-22, 12:02 PM
billridesbikes

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 347 Post(s)
Liked 418 Times in 250 Posts
My "light weight" touring bike.
Dynamo, lights, fenders, pedals, and racks it comes to 29.5lbs.
36p wheel in back and 32p wheel in front, making the wheels a bit 'robust' maybe.

Likes For billridesbikes:
Old 06-04-22, 02:32 PM
andrewclaus

Bikes: 2016 Fuji Tread, 1983 Trek 520

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 674 Post(s)
Liked 739 Times in 430 Posts
I think the bike should match the load. My bikes weigh a little less, in the 24-25 pound range, but I only use a rear rack and seldom pack more than thirty pounds. I weigh less than 150 pounds. I use lighter-than stock wheels and skinny tires.
Likes For andrewclaus:
Old 06-04-22, 02:51 PM
Tourist in MSN

Originally Posted by billridesbikes
My "light weight" touring bike.
Dynamo, lights, fenders, pedals, and racks it comes to 29.5lbs.
36p wheel in back and 32p wheel in front, making the wheels a bit 'robust' maybe.

That is a very nice looking Pass Hunter. I have one of the same frame but slightly larger size, I built it up for randonneuring. One of my neighbors is a bike mechanic, he was admiring it and I said it was one of the last rim brake models and he said he wished he had stocked up on some frames like that before they were all gone.

Almost everything that you have that is silver, I have in black.
Old 06-04-22, 03:31 PM
Bearhawker

Bikes: '23 Devinci Hatchet Carbon Apex1 '19 Norco Bigfoot 6.1 ,'12 Motobecane Turino (killed by dog crash), '12 Trek 3700 Disc

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 149 Post(s)
Liked 128 Times in 74 Posts
My bike (daily driver, tourer, grocery-getter, commuter, etc) with the rear rack and front cargo cages installed but no computer, panniers or even a water bottle weighs in at 43 pounds.
Likes For Bearhawker:
Old 06-04-22, 04:14 PM
GhostRider62

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 2333 Post(s)
Liked 2,097 Times in 1,314 Posts
18.5# but it is for a big rider and I use bikepacking bags , which I have not included in that weight
Likes For GhostRider62:
Old 06-04-22, 06:35 PM
stardognine
Partially Sane.

Bikes: Soma Saga, pre-disc

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 972 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 468 Posts
My bike (Soma Saga) with front and rear racks, pedals, bottle holders, etc., but unloaded, weighs in at just over 30 lbs.
Disc or pre-disc? I have no idea if there's a difference in weight, lol, but I have an early pre-disc Saga. But it came to me with Paul touring cantilevers, so I forgave it for not having disc brakes. 😁😉

​​I 'm not sure what size it is, either, probably a 60cm, but maybe the biggest 62cm. 🤔

The crazy thing is, it's unrideable right now, due to the rear wheel. It has XT hubs with 36-hole Velocity Dyad rims, which was one of the reasons I bought it, but the rear hub happened to be FH-M770, which was a rare Shimano "lemon", that I wasn:t aware of. 😟

I rode it from Sacramento to Seattle last year, then back to Sacramento this year, and it was fine till I came into Lincoln, a suburb on the Northern end of Folsom Lake.At least it didn't die up in the mountains. 🙄😉
Likes For stardognine:
Old 06-04-22, 07:39 PM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

Mine's disc. I built it up from the frame.
Old 06-05-22, 04:38 AM
staehpj1

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1251 Post(s)
Liked 753 Times in 560 Posts
It is kind of funny, but I am a weight weenie with my gear and don't usually weigh my bikes. I am just not inclined to mess with too much upgrading so I don't stress over the weight much once I have bought them. That said of the bikes I have toured on I do have a good idea of the weight on a couple. I think my loaded touring bike was 32# with racks, It was a 2007 Bikes Direct Windsor Touring, Essentially the same as a Fuji Touring. My light semivintage road bike about 24# with rack and cages and stuff. It was a 1990 Cannondale Crit bike. I usually include a 1# tool bag in bike weight since they live on the bike whether touring or not. I do not recall if those weights included that or not.
Likes For staehpj1:
Old 06-05-22, 05:51 AM
djb

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 2735 Post(s)
Liked 969 Times in 792 Posts

This makes me a bit worried that I may have over-done it. Is this atypically heavy, or about normal? Is it silly to even worry about weight before I start to load it up?

If it is not too personal, where does your racked but unloaded bike tip the scales?

(The main contributors in my case include robust wheels, Redshift stem and seatposts, and Tubus front and rear racks. I think the extra weight in each of these cases is more than justified, but it does add up.)
My touring bike with racks is very similar to yours, as is the vast majority of proper touring bikes. Yes there are lighter bikes out there, but somewhere around 25 is probably on the lighter end--- but as said, it depends on how much stuff you're carrying, and of course the cost of the bike.
Ultimately, we aren't racing, and yes if you're going to be carrying very little, a lighter bike with a lighter wheel set is fine, and will be nice to ride. You'll be faster, travel farther with same effort etc, but for typical touring, the 25 to 30ish weight is pretty much what you're looking at with a lot of bikes.

Put more effort of thought into paring down your load weight, this makes a real noticeable difference.
If I had money coming out of my ears, it would be fun having a real light bike for light touring, but at it is, my bike is what it is and with a change of tires, I can ride it pretty much anywhere, lightly loaded or heavily.
Likes For djb:
Old 06-05-22, 06:49 AM
Tourist in MSN

Originally Posted by stardognine
..., it's unrideable right now, due to the rear wheel. It has XT hubs with 36-hole Velocity Dyad rims, which was one of the reasons I bought it, but the rear hub happened to be FH-M770, which was a rare Shimano "lemon", that I wasn:t aware of. 😟

I rode it from Sacramento to Seattle last year, then back to Sacramento this year, and it was fine till I came into Lincoln, a suburb on the Northern end of Folsom Lake.At least it didn't die up in the mountains. 🙄😉
Yeah, the early aluminum axle rear hubs had problems. Smaller ball bearings were one problem. Some of them had a freehub attachment to the hub shell that came loose. All of my rear Shimano hubs are older steel axle ones with quarter inch ball bearings.

When I built up my Lynskey five years ago I ordered an older style M756A.
https://www.treefortbikes.com/Shiman...-Rear-Disc-Hub
https://si.shimano.com/pdfs/ev/EV-FH-M756-A-3295.pdf

I do not think you can find 36 hole rim brake hubs anymore, you might need to get a disc one if you have a rim brake bike.
Old 06-05-22, 07:58 AM
staehpj1

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1251 Post(s)
Liked 753 Times in 560 Posts
Originally Posted by djb
Put more effort of thought into paring down your load weight, this makes a real noticeable difference.
If I had money coming out of my ears, it would be fun having a real light bike for light touring, but at it is, my bike is what it is and with a change of tires, I can ride it pretty much anywhere, lightly loaded or heavily.
Yes I concur. You can typically make some real difference in your gear without spending any money. Then you can usually trim a lot more by spending a modest amount. Of course you can also spend a bundle, but lots can be done fairly cheaply.

With the bike itself that is way less true. Often I think the wallet gets light faster than the bike does.
Likes For staehpj1:
Old 06-05-22, 09:08 AM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

Thanks, everyone.

Mine does seem to be slightly on the lighter side (which surprised me), but I have yet to add in fenders (CA doesn't have rain in the summer, usually, but if I go anywhere else, I will want them). I've had two previous touring bikes, and although I never weighed them, I think they might have been lighter (or maybe I was just younger.)
Old 06-05-22, 09:08 AM
Tourist in MSN

Usually when the topic of weight comes up, we see lots of people with claims of super light bikes, but I never see such bikes in the campgrounds so I often wonder if they exist or not.

That said, I do trust Staehpj1 numbers, I saw a photo of his bike on Crazy Guy. And his descriptions of how light his bivy and other things are, with that much detail you have to trust it. .

This couple I did meet in a campground on a bike tour, they were from Utah, I met them during my Iceland tour. I am still amazed when looking at how light they packed, I really do not know how they did it. Both bikes were Ritchey Break Away frames, so they did not have airline oversize fees on their packed bikes. He had lost a water bottle, was looking for a replacement.

Ok, I will divulge how much much my expedition bike tips the scale at with racks, bottle cages, handlebar bag mounting bracket, pedals. I think this does not include the lock. Tips the scale at 47 pounds. But I think that includes fenders that I do not bring on tours, as the fenders do not fit in the case, so maybe drop 2 pounds?

But the frame is rated for 60kg of luggage capacity (excluding weight of rider and bike), so it has a really solid frame that won't fail. Rack bolts are M6 instead of M5. Rims are over 1.6 pounds each by themselves. Had about two weeks of food on the bike in the photo.

I used to complain about how heavy that bike is, but the bike handled that much weight so well that I no longer complain, I just acknowledge that it is a heavy bike. When I was in the interior with that bike, I met several other cyclists, three of which had a variety of mechanical problems with their bikes on such rough terrain, but mine felt right at home.

Last edited by Tourist in MSN; 06-05-22 at 09:12 AM.
Old 06-05-22, 09:21 AM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

Just to clarify, none of my bikes (or me) are weight-weenie by any stretch!
Likes For Polaris OBark:
Old 06-05-22, 10:14 AM
GhostRider62

This couple I did meet in a campground on a bike tour, they were from Utah, I met them during my Iceland tour. I am still amazed when looking at how light they packed, I really do not know how they did it.
It is easy. And I reckon, Mr. Google would have the answer in under 5 minutes.
Old 06-06-22, 09:41 AM
Yan 

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1925 Post(s)
Liked 637 Times in 436 Posts
I've never seen a real touring bike that weighs less than 30lbs. You need certain parts to provide the mandatory capabilities. None of the weight is optional, and it all adds up. You can save some weight by using light weight components, but at the high end, parts become very expensive. Group set alone costs an extra $1000 to save about 1 lb of weight. When you add carbon fiber bars, stem, and seatpost, you'll end up spending $1500 to save less than 2 lb of weight.
Likes For Yan:
Old 06-06-22, 09:47 AM
GhostRider62

Originally Posted by Yan
I've never seen a real touring bike that weighs less than 30lbs. You need certain parts to provide the mandatory capabilities. None of the weight is optional, and it all adds up. You can save some weight by using light weight components, but at the high end, parts become very expensive. Group set alone costs an extra $1000 to save about 1 lb of weight. When you add carbon fiber bars, stem, and seatpost, you'll end up spending $1500 to save less than 2 lb of weight.
My real touring bike and complete kit necessary to cross the united states weighed 38.5 pounds. Total. So, I disagree. Start with over 30 pounds and you end up with 70 pounds to haul up and down the mountains.
Old 06-06-22, 10:00 AM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

Originally Posted by GhostRider62
18.5# but it is for a big rider and I use bikepacking bags , which I have not included in that weight
My custom steel all-road/gravel bike with carbon rims, fork, stem, and seat post comes in at slightly over 20 lbs, so please forgive me if I find this implausible.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.