Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

first drop bar tape attempt... how long to live with my ineptitude?!?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

first drop bar tape attempt... how long to live with my ineptitude?!?

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-22, 10:16 AM
smd4

Bikes: 1989 Cinelli Supercorsa

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3498 Post(s)
Liked 2,911 Times in 1,766 Posts
Originally Posted by Rolla
The "figure 8" at the brake hoods and the diagonal cut at the end are the critical moves. Electrical tape is more forgiving than the finishing tape provided, but try to only do one or two wraps of it.
Great advice.
Old 07-04-22, 10:44 AM
mschwett 

Bikes: addict, aethos, creo, vanmoof, sirrus, public ...

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1273 Post(s)
Liked 1,384 Times in 708 Posts
Originally Posted by sweeks
I doubt anyone will notice. Give yourself a break, and ride the bike until you feel like having a re-do.
I recently did my second wrap job on a set of "trekking" bars, and while I think I did an all-right job, I somehow managed to wrap the second side so the "Easton" name doesn't appear on the tape.
I'll live with this...

Both sides started and wrapped the same way, but the brand imprint is covered on the right side. :-(
OMG.

went for a ride. realized that i did the same thing as you - only one side of the tape has the little oil-slick stars on my tape…. and i wrapped it so it’s only visible on the right. 😂😂😂😂
Old 07-04-22, 11:03 AM
sweeks

Bikes: Airborne "Carpe Diem", Motobecane "Mirage", Trek 6000, Strida 2, Dahon "Helios XL", Dahon "Mu XL", Tern "Verge S11i"

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 980 Post(s)
Liked 580 Times in 398 Posts
Originally Posted by mschwett
OMG.

went for a ride. realized that i did the same thing as you - only one side of the tape has the little oil-slick stars on my tape…. and i wrapped it so it’s only visible on the right. 😂😂😂😂
We should start a club!
I wonder if there's a "standard" side of the tape for the graphics to be on. Yours are on the right side, while mine are on the left. I started wrapping at the grip, and you started yours at the stem. Hmmm...
Old 07-04-22, 12:26 PM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4729 Post(s)
Liked 1,531 Times in 1,002 Posts
half the videos illustrated doing it top down, and the other half illustrated bottom up.

i’ll see how it lasts.
I suppose starting from the top, there'd still be a choice of clockwise or counterclockwise
Old 07-04-22, 12:57 PM
fishboat

Bikes: Lemond '01 Maillot Jaune, Lemond '02 Victoire, Lemond '03 Poprad, Lemond '03 Wayzata DB conv(Poprad), '79 AcerMex Windsor Carrera Professional(pur new), '88 GT Tequesta(pur new), '01 Bianchi Grizzly, 1993 Trek 970 DB conv, Trek 8900 DB conv

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 759 Post(s)
Liked 809 Times in 471 Posts
Rather than use electrical tape to finish, self-sealing silicone tape yields a better looking and wearing end-wrap-finish.
Likes For fishboat:
Old 07-04-22, 01:34 PM
sweeks

Bikes: Airborne "Carpe Diem", Motobecane "Mirage", Trek 6000, Strida 2, Dahon "Helios XL", Dahon "Mu XL", Tern "Verge S11i"

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 980 Post(s)
Liked 580 Times in 398 Posts
Originally Posted by fishboat
...self-sealing silicone tape yields a better looking and wearing end-wrap-finish.
That's the stuff I used; the blue is a nice match for the Easton tape.
Old 07-04-22, 02:04 PM
mschwett 

redid the left side to get the stars out and match the proportions of the right, which of course now is backwards. but getting better - still a bit of a bulge right at the starting transition but two passes before starting at an angle with this thick tape is way too much. much tighter edges though. thanks to all who pointed out that you can redo it once or twice. i didn't think the adhesive would stay tacky.

Likes For mschwett:
Old 07-04-22, 02:27 PM
mikeoverly
Stuck in Toeclips

Bikes: https://thesearemikesbikes.blogspot.com/2023/06/mikes-bikes.html

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
after viewing a half dozen videos with conflicting "best methods" for doing this, i decided on the top down approach (not too worried about pressure on the bar tops unraveling anything, i'm on the hoods 95% of the time and the drops the rest) because i didn't like the electrical/finishing tape the bike came with. tape was ripping on one side from a minor spill.

ended up with some lumps... some asymmetry (shouldn't have tried to make the second one "better"), one or two little leading edges that aren't sitting flat, and i'm not 100% sure the last bit of tape is going to stay tucked in at the plugs.

live with it until it wears out... or eat the $40 for a second try!?!?

Doesn't look terrible. Ride it until in unravels or until the first time you get shade from someone on bikeforums.
Old 07-04-22, 02:33 PM
mschwett 

Originally Posted by mikeoverly
Doesn't look terrible. Ride it until in unravels or until the first time you get shade from someone on bikeforums.
too late ! shade happened a while back in this post.
Likes For mschwett:
Old 07-04-22, 02:44 PM
cxwrench

Bikes: lots

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1958 Post(s)
Liked 2,932 Times in 1,489 Posts
i liked the way it looks, they had it at the shop? the same tape lasted 5000+ miles on my last bike, so it’s not really a high $/mile kind of thing even at $40. does the $10 kind only last a few months?
While I hate taping bars in that direction you did a pretty dang good job. I would NEVER leave tape on for more than a few months w/ an alloy bar, especially if you sweat a bunch. You need to check for corrosion under the tape regularly. I know this sounds extreme but if you ignore it it can kill you. Lost a good friend/customer years ago for this exact reason.
Likes For cxwrench:
Old 07-04-22, 02:48 PM
mschwett 

Originally Posted by cxwrench
While I hate taping bars in that direction you did a pretty dang good job. I would NEVER leave tape on for more than a few months w/ an alloy bar, especially if you sweat a bunch. You need to check for corrosion under the tape regularly. I know this sounds extreme but if you ignore it it can kill you. Lost a good friend/customer years ago for this exact reason.
yes, i have a major fear or headset/fork/bar failure. i don’t know **** about it so i have the shop give it a look regularly. it’s a carbon bar/cockpit, but still ….
Old 07-04-22, 02:56 PM
cxwrench

Bikes: lots

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1958 Post(s)
Liked 2,932 Times in 1,489 Posts
Not nearly as much of a worry w/ a carbon bar. I change mine often just because I get bored and can't stand when it starts smelling funky. I've always looked at bar tape as a consumable, especially because my background is being a team mechanic. We changed that stuff all the time just to keep it fresh. I also HATE when people leave it on too long and it takes me 30mins to get it completely removed before putting new tape on.
Old 07-04-22, 03:21 PM
SoSmellyAir
Method to My Madness

Bikes: Trek FX 2, Cannondale Synapse, Cannondale CAAD4, Santa Cruz Stigmata GRX

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1939 Post(s)
Liked 1,463 Times in 1,012 Posts
I think mschwett did OK for the first time.

My first time was slightly more even and in the correct direction, but I left a gap behind the STI lever band and could not get the end plugs in. I tolerated that first wrap for about a month before redoing it with new bar tape. I am not a mechanic and thus don't replace the bar tape often enough to become proficient at it. So every time I replace my bar tape I am pretty much starting from square 2. In hindsight I should have started with cheaper tape, at least for the first 3 or 4 jobs.

Just go slow, take deep breaths, and have a system for tracking whether things are even. My OCD tips include: maintaining the same slight tension throughout, counting the number of loops to reach the STI levers, more tension on the figure 8 around the STI levers, keeping the overlapping distance constant at the top of each loop, and not cutting the first side until you have also finished wrapping the second side and see that the two remaining lengths are about the same. It takes me an hour, with multiple partial unwrapping and re-wrapping per side, to install bar tape.

Depending on whether you are right or left handed and how your brain works, you may get better results from first doing the left side or the right side, then doing the other side to match. For example, I do the left side first because it is harder for me as a right hander, but once it is done, I can do the easier right side and better match it to the left side.

Yes, this is certifiable OCD.
Likes For SoSmellyAir:
Old 07-04-22, 03:25 PM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3870 Post(s)
Liked 2,563 Times in 1,577 Posts
Originally Posted by cxwrench
Just out of curiosity: for those customers that are known to be heavier sweaters, do you do anything to coat the bars before taping them? Like paint or electrical tape? Or just plan on cleaning the bars and changing their tape more often than others?
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
Old 07-04-22, 03:28 PM
SoSmellyAir
Method to My Madness

Originally Posted by ThermionicScott
Just out of curiosity: for those customers that are known to be heavier sweaters, ...
Like this guy: Cable-Knit Cotton-Cashmere Cardigan (ralphlauren.com)? Heh heh.
Likes For SoSmellyAir:
Old 07-04-22, 04:55 PM
mschwett 

redid the right side. pretty happy actually, other than the bit of a thicker part where it starts. not sure there's any way around that with this method and this tape - the square half a wrap doubles up the thicker part of the tape when you start going diagonal.

but stars out on both sides, relatively symmetrical, angled the "right" way. great advice on redoing it with the same tape.

Likes For mschwett:
Old 07-04-22, 05:28 PM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4729 Post(s)
Liked 1,531 Times in 1,002 Posts
yes, i have a major fear or headset/fork/bar failure. i don’t know **** about it so i have the shop give it a look regularly. it’s a carbon bar/cockpit, but still ….
I feel a new SNL skit coming soon.. Schwetty Bars...
Likes For Sy Reene:
Old 07-04-22, 05:37 PM
mschwett 

Originally Posted by Sy Reene
I feel a new SNL skit coming soon.. Schwetty Bars...
i've heard worse
Old 07-04-22, 07:46 PM
SurferRosa
señor miembro

Bikes: '70s - '80s Campagnolo

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 3870 Post(s)
Liked 6,461 Times in 3,194 Posts
it’s not really a high $/mile kind of thing even at $40.
Agree. I prefer Fizik, which is now about $30 (shipped+tax) on eBay.
Old 07-04-22, 07:56 PM
NoWhammies

Bikes: Argon 18 Gallium, BH G7, Rocky Mountain Instinct C70

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 512 Times in 306 Posts
Looks better than my first attempt. I'd say job well done.
Old 07-04-22, 08:09 PM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6945 Post(s)
Liked 10,945 Times in 4,677 Posts
mschwett : It looks like you did a decent job, but your method is fundamentally flawed: you should roll from the drops on up to the tops, because then the tape edges will be facing downward; wrapping in the opposite direction, as you have done, means that your hands will be pushing against the edges, and causing them to roll back on themselves and just generally look ragged far sooner.

I'll also opine that you started it too far from the stem, but that might be a matter of personal preference.
Likes For Koyote:
Old 07-04-22, 08:12 PM
curbtender

Bikes: Miyata 618 GT, Marinoni, Kestral 200 2002 Trek 5200, KHS Flite, Koga Miyata, Schwinn Spitfire 5, Mondia Special, Univega Alpina, Miyata team Ti, Santa Cruz Highball

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 1606 Post(s)
Liked 2,570 Times in 1,218 Posts
Not bad. Next time you wrap, leave the spacing on the outside of the curve the same and shorten the inside. I've seen some people use a gauge to keep the wrap even.
Old 07-04-22, 09:27 PM
SoSmellyAir
Method to My Madness

Originally Posted by curbtender
I've seen some people use a gauge to keep the wrap even.
How? I just eyeball, but I would not mind if there was a tool for this.
Likes For SoSmellyAir:
Old 07-04-22, 10:31 PM
mschwett 

Originally Posted by curbtender
Not bad. Next time you wrap, leave the spacing on the outside of the curve the same and shorten the inside. I've seen some people use a gauge to keep the wrap even.
that would work if the pitch/spacing was a little larger in general, i just barely had enough this way! next time.
Old 07-04-22, 11:34 PM
raceboy

Bikes: One of each: Road, Hybrid, Trekking

Quoted: 137 Post(s)
Liked 115 Times in 53 Posts

I'll live with this...

Both sides started and wrapped the same way, but the brand imprint is covered on the right side.

When I raced cars and did something like this I’d tell everyone it was the hot setup because it was more aerodynamic or some other bs. If I had a good run in the next race, other guys would start showing up with the same “modification.”

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.