Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Tokyobike

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-14, 04:09 AM
vivvov

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Tokyobike

Hello All

I've got hold of a Tokyobike frame..650c wheels..new territory for me.

Can anyone tell me whether the frame will accommodate 26" wheels and if so, what type and what modification to brakes etc.
Thanks in advance.

Neill
Old 09-11-14, 05:42 AM
Airburst

Location: England, currently dividing my time between university in Guildford and home just outside Reading

Bikes: Too many to list here!

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
As for the "type" of 26" wheels, there's only one common size (559mm bead seat diameter) referred to as 26", so unless you want to play around with mostly-obsolete sizes (and at that point you might as well get 650B wheels), that's what you're using.

If it's designed for sidepull brakes, you might be able to make it work by using longer-reach brake calipers than it was designed for, as 26" and 650B are 559mm and 584mm bead seat diameters precisely, meaning the braking surface of the rim will be 12.5mm lower with a 26" rim than with a 650B, easily within the range of longer-reach calipers assuming it doesn't already use long-reach ones. If it has cantilever bosses, the difference in rim diameter will potentially be sufficient that the brakes won't work, but that depends on the design of the brake and the precise location of the brake bosses on the frame. Disc and other hub-mounted brakes will work fine.

If you haven't already got the wheels, there are plenty of 650b wheels or rims available.

Last edited by Airburst; 09-11-14 at 05:45 AM.
Old 09-11-14, 08:52 AM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4195 Post(s)
Liked 3,837 Times in 2,295 Posts
I thought that the bike was built for 650C, 571 ISO diameter, wheels. Not 650B. So if I'm reading the OP correctly he has 571 wheels and is asking about 559 substitutes. This is a 6mm brake pad location difference. Depending on the calipers already on the bike and where in their pad slots the pads are the OEM calipers migh work. It's a simple test.

But there is also the rim width and caliper pad spread issue as well as the tire profile (fatness) fitting within the calipers.

A knowledged person could take some measurements on the calipers, the old wheels/tires and the proposed wheels/tires then push the math. But as it's so quick to just try swapping a wheel and this will give actual info why not just try a wheel sub.

Of course photos and more specific info would let us clear up any confusion and give a better opinion. Andy.
Old 09-11-14, 08:57 AM
Airburst

Location: England, currently dividing my time between university in Guildford and home just outside Reading

Bikes: Too many to list here!

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Andrew R Stewart
I thought that the bike was built for 650C, 571 ISO diameter, wheels. Not 650B.
Damn, my bad, I misread the OP, the difference is about half what it would be for 650B, so it's much more likely to work.
Old 09-11-14, 09:13 AM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Airburst- As I miss read posts all the time, then write up what I think is a great reply only to have my error pointed out I can say, I've been there! I had to re read the OP to make sure myself. Andy.
Old 09-11-14, 01:48 PM
nfmisso
Nigel

Bikes: 1980s and 1990s steel: CyclePro, Nishiki, Schwinn, SR, Trek........

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 384 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by vivvov
Hello All

I've got hold of a Tokyobike frame..650c wheels..new territory for me.

Can anyone tell me whether the frame will accommodate 26" wheels and if so, what type and what modification to brakes etc.
Thanks in advance.

Neill
Why not get ISO571 (650c) wheels and tires?

Terry TellusTire 650x28 w /Puncture Protection Black is widest 571 tire that I am aware of available in the USA. It is made by Panracer. There many 23-571 and 24-571 tires available. And rims: Rims, Wheels & Parts - Rims - 650c - Niagara Cycle

Please note that "26 inch" has been used to refer to the following bead seat diameters (BSD) : 559, 571, 584, 590 and 597. Tires and rims are easy to find in all five of those sizes. 584 is also called 650b and 27½"
Old 09-11-14, 04:51 PM
vivvov

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks everyone for the replies.

I've just picked up the frame an hour ago along with a kind of modern unused cotterless crankset (that sort of looks like an old school cottered CS) all for the princely sum of £8.50!!...couldn't resist it, mid week so no one bid on the frame and the CS, plus the guy lived a mile away.
Googled and saw Toykobikes retail at £580 new here in London, so what can you do.

Co Mo..nothing special weigh wise..feels seriously heavy compared to my 531 DB and even my cheap, nobody loves you, 708 Reynolds frame but I wanted something that was more head up/slow mo for London traffic ..it's hectic here!..and pootling along the canal (live on a boat).

So thought i'll be setting it up as a straight bar 8 speed with Acera/Sram gear..as far as I can see that's similar to the shop set up. (cheap and cheerful). But as all I've had in the past has been 700c and 27", I wasn't sure about the 650c wheels..thought 650..26"..MTB...hybrid... ??
I'd realised that 26" was a varied genre though but I've got some long drop, sidepull, no name brakes doing nothing (Tektro from the look of them) and will get hold of a pair of MTB wheels off a friends' Cannondale and see what fits and what doesn't..do it by eye and then back to ebay to pick up necessary wheels, slick tyres , slap on an old saddle and straight handlebars and stem etc..should have a very nice, cheap city hack.

Thanks
Old 09-11-14, 04:55 PM
vivvov

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Forgot to mention..the frame has the necessary holes for side pull.
Old 09-11-14, 05:16 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
nobody owns a tape measure anymore ? 1 measurement worth 1000 questions

Last edited by fietsbob; 09-11-14 at 09:05 PM.
Old 09-11-14, 06:14 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Originally Posted by fietsbob
nobody owns a tape measure anymore ?
Self discovery of one's world left with the advent of spell check. Andy.
Old 07-20-20, 09:12 AM
clean_lines

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
So what what was the outcome of this little experiment? My friend has same bike and I was looking to do the same for her...

Matt
Old 08-14-22, 02:39 PM
amyvegan

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
would love to know if a small tokyobike bisou colud be upgrades with more gears for hiils.