Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

Large group ride holding up traffic

Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

Large group ride holding up traffic

Old 05-21-22, 03:33 PM
rebel1916

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 83 Times in 44 Posts
Originally Posted by Digger Goreman
You want to start a fight with a motorist, don't use the F-bomb, just say W A I T !

If it were 75 of anything else larger than a bike, they'd suck it up.... There are no secondary citizens (or road users). There are only inconvenienced motor heads acting privileged....

Oh, cyclists aren't "holding up" traffic, they ARE traffic!!!
I suggest you acquaint yourself with section 21656 of the California Vehicle Code.
https://law.justia.com/codes/califor...50-21664/21656
Old 05-22-22, 05:29 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4254 Post(s)
Liked 3,867 Times in 2,580 Posts
Originally Posted by TLit
Bicyclists need to hug the side of the road, I always have when traffic dictates that.
Look I like trees I don't think we should cut them down and destroy them for dumb reasons but I don't believe in hugging them, roads I don't really care for in the same way so I definitely wouldn't hug them. I will hug my friends and family but inanimate objects NO WAY!
Old 05-22-22, 06:10 PM
Paul Barnard
For The Fun of It

Bikes: Lynskey GR300, Lynskey Backroad, Litespeed T6, Lynskey MT29, Burley Duet

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 2131 Post(s)
Liked 1,640 Times in 822 Posts
It's interesting that in this day and age where people have a camera in their hand or within immediate reach, so many accounts of bicyclist misbehavior go unrecorded. There's a reason for that.
Old 05-22-22, 06:18 PM
TLit

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 17 Posts
Originally Posted by Paul Barnard
It's interesting that in this day and age where people have a camera in their hand or within immediate reach, so many accounts of bicyclist misbehavior go unrecorded. There's a reason for that.
The highways around here are full of billboards with motorcycle lawyers looking for injured motorcyclists, I guess there are a lot fewer bicycle riders injured.
Old 05-23-22, 04:46 AM
downhillmaster

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 980 Post(s)
Liked 776 Times in 402 Posts
Only in California would 75 like-minded dipsticks get together to pull this kind of crap
Old 05-23-22, 07:32 AM
partyanimal

Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 34 Posts
This sounds more like a critical mass, which I'm all for if you have a purpose and everyone is on board.
But this really just sounds like a logistical nightmare. No reason you can't break the ride up into groups of 10-15, spread a mile or so apart.
Aside from bad planning, cyclists are just as much "traffic" as any car and we have the same rights to the road as anyone else (depending on local laws). It might be "obnoxious" but it's generally within your rights as cyclists to take the lane. Constantly feeling guilty and ceding to cars is what gives them their privilege and causes dangerous conditions. If you're gonna own the road, just own it.
Likes For partyanimal:
Old 05-24-22, 06:51 PM
Koyote

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 6882 Post(s)
Liked 10,875 Times in 4,639 Posts
Originally Posted by mcours2006
You were on a single speed doing hills?
I do a lot of gravel racing in Northwestern PA, WV, Eastern Ohio -- very hilly places. Some races have >100ft of climbing per mile. And there are always some people on SS gravel bikes.
Old 05-24-22, 07:03 PM
TLit

Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 17 Posts
I've never understood the mentality of group bicyclists or motorcyclists, etc.. I'm not really a loner but don't want to be held up by the slower crowd. When I was in my early teens I did plenty of century rides south to north of Danbury and back.
Old 05-25-22, 01:29 PM
JoeyBike
20+mph Commuter

Bikes: Surly LHT, Surly Lowside, a folding bike, and a beater.

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1422 Post(s)
Liked 315 Times in 210 Posts
Originally Posted by livedarklions
Well, the inevitable pile-up will be entertaining as hell.
I'd follow their Instagram if they would film those.
Old 05-28-22, 01:26 PM
Camilo

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1107 Post(s)
Liked 1,197 Times in 758 Posts
Originally Posted by 1989Pre
I recommend two solutions to this potential catastrophe: 1.) All riders should stay single-file, and as far to the right (or left, in Britain) as they can. There is no excuse for being out in the middle of the road, off of the shoulder. If, during times of no motor traffic, the group does spread out, laterally, then the command "Car Back", from the rear-most rider in the group or group section, should prompt an immediate response from all riders to assume a single-file as far to the right (or left) as they can. If you re not capable of this level of courtesy or control, you shouldn't be on a group ride. 2.) The ride leader should choose a route/time-of-day that is most-likely to minimize the risk inherent in obstructing motor traffic. Share the road.
I would add one thing: contact whatever stupid club is organizing or sanctioning this sort of ride. 75 people is ridiculous unless it's an event (as opposed to a ride). Choosing a route like that compounds the stupidity. The club needs to be called on it and just stop doing it.

Oh, I guess another thing to add: quit participating in such a stupid ride!
Old 05-28-22, 01:29 PM
Camilo

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1107 Post(s)
Liked 1,197 Times in 758 Posts
Originally Posted by Koyote
I do a lot of gravel racing in Northwestern PA, WV, Eastern Ohio -- very hilly places. Some races have >100ft of climbing per mile. And there are always some people on SS gravel bikes.
Where I live and ride (but don't race), 100 feet per mile would be on the mild side of hilly. More typical would be 150 or 1500+ feet in 10 miles. Yeah, I need lots of gears! But I do love going downhill.
Old 05-28-22, 03:42 PM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,286 Posts
Originally Posted by rumrunn6
cycling doesn't have to be a dangerous sport
Cycling doesn't have to be a sport at all, it can just be a recreational activity.
Old 05-28-22, 07:08 PM
Daniel4

Bikes: Sekine 1979 ten speed racer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1477 Post(s)
Liked 637 Times in 436 Posts
It's been more than two weeks. Is traffic moving yet or is the group ride still there?