Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electric Bikes
Reload this Page >

Vibrations on pedals on brand new Stromer ST2?

Notices
Electric Bikes Here's a place to discuss ebikes, from home grown to high-tech.

Old 01-18-23, 05:11 PM
Fandomii

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts

Hi folks,,

I am looking to purchase a speed e-bike and I've been looking at a Stromer ST2 with belt drive. I did a test drive and everything seemed great (quiet, powerful, great build really).

However, I was feeling a lot of vibrations on the pedals and the seat (even with a kinect suspension seat post)! It definitely seemed off, there were constantly vibrations at all gears. I think the vibrations were there also when not pedaling, albeit not so strong. Is that normal for this type of bike or should I be telling the shop to have a better look at it (e.g.the bottom bracket)?
Old 01-18-23, 05:39 PM
2old

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 872 Post(s)
Liked 795 Times in 603 Posts
Definitely not normal for Stromer. I tested a couple four or five years ago and they were smooth riding right up to 30 mph. I don't know where you're located, but if near San Diego, they used to have their Sales, CS and warehouse there. You might call them and try to ascertain the origin of the problem.
Old 01-19-23, 11:05 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4253 Post(s)
Liked 3,867 Times in 2,580 Posts
Did you let the shop know these problems exist? If they said we will fix it then I would go back when it is fixed if not I would move on. I want good support behind that bike and if they won't fix an obvious problem for a customer and for themselves I would be scared for when you might have a problem down the line.

Stromer made great bikes and continued to make the same basic bikes they built their legacy on which is fine for say Brompton who is a heritage bike company that makes non-electric bikes but for electric bikes building nearly the same bike you did 10 years ago and adding blueteeth is not really a company I am interested in. Technology is moving forward not staying stationary, they basically built premium Specialized Turbos (the old hub drives Specialized made which at the time where cool but quickly got old) and are still doing that where Specialized and most other folks have moved on to various mid drive motors either of their own designs or from other known quantities.
Old 01-20-23, 01:09 AM
Fandomii

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by veganbikes
Did you let the shop know these problems exist? If they said we will fix it then I would go back when it is fixed if not I would move on. I want good support behind that bike and if they won't fix an obvious problem for a customer and for themselves I would be scared for when you might have a problem down the line.

Stromer made great bikes and continued to make the same basic bikes they built their legacy on which is fine for say Brompton who is a heritage bike company that makes non-electric bikes but for electric bikes building nearly the same bike you did 10 years ago and adding blueteeth is not really a company I am interested in. Technology is moving forward not staying stationary, they basically built premium Specialized Turbos (the old hub drives Specialized made which at the time where cool but quickly got old) and are still doing that where Specialized and most other folks have moved on to various mid drive motors either of their own designs or from other known quantities.
Thank you for your reply! Am I understanding you correctly that you think that hub drive motors are inferior to mid-drive? (I really like how quiet it is but I知 not sure what disadvantages it has)
Old 01-20-23, 09:02 AM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4253 Post(s)
Liked 3,867 Times in 2,580 Posts
Originally Posted by Fandomii
Thank you for your reply! Am I understanding you correctly that you think that hub drive motors are inferior to mid-drive? (I really like how quiet it is but I知 not sure what disadvantages it has)
Correct, they are less efficient and because you have thin tiny spokes holding up quite a heavy weight they are prone to breakage and it is not due to any quality factors or anything like that. Plus with that heavy weight it is all rotational weight so that is weight you have to move, a mid-drive is static. Plus the mid-drive leads to a balanced bike as the weight is as low as possible right in the middle it makes the bike easier to handle and feels more like a regular bike. It also means you have more choice in what wheels you go for and drivetrains and stuff like that. Plus better range on mid drives due to efficiency.

You can get quieter mid-drives like the Brose motors which are internally belt driven but I love my Bosch motor and really don't notice the noise so much. Maybe on a really quiet country road it is easier to hear but I don't have that luxury very often and once you are used to it all the noise kind of goes away.
Likes For veganbikes:
Old 01-20-23, 11:11 AM
2old

Hub drives are excellent for commuting and only suffer in road riding when the hills are too steep in which case a more powerful system (which may be illegal) is needed. Go to the endless sphere site where there are more advocates, some with 25,000 miles on their conversions or to ebikesca where the smartest people (IMO) in e-bikes have tools to support the concept. Mid-drives excel for riding off road and generally are better for steep terrain.
Likes For 2old:
Old 01-20-23, 11:13 AM
Fandomii

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by 2old
Hub drives are excellent for commuting and only suffer in road riding when the hills are too steep in which case a more powerful system (which may be illegal) is needed. Go to the endless sphere site where there are more advocates, some with 25,000 miles on their conversions or to ebikesca where the smartest people (IMO) in e-bikes have tools to support the concept. Mid-drives excel for riding off road and generally are better for steep terrain.
Thank you! This generally contradicts the earlier reply about hub motors having lower efficiency than mid drives. Where is the truth? I知 a bit confused.
Old 01-20-23, 11:24 AM
fooferdoggie 

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 680 Post(s)
Liked 946 Times in 553 Posts
Thank you! This generally contradicts the earlier reply about hub motors having lower efficiency than mid drives. Where is the truth? I知 a bit confused.
If you stay in the cadence zone your motor is designed for your motor will run at peak efficiency. its not dependent on your bike speed only your peddling speed. hub motor is only going to be the most efficient at their top speed.
Old 01-20-23, 11:38 AM
2old

You'll need more experience (and maybe more opinions). I've built, ridden and own bikes of both types, and ridden many, many more when writing for a bike publication. Additionally, I don't have a horse in the race since I'm not involved in the bike industry anymore.