Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electric Bikes
Reload this Page >

Best practices, Locking up an Ebike?

Notices
Electric Bikes Here's a place to discuss ebikes, from home grown to high-tech.

Old 10-16-22, 02:49 AM
jlmonte

Bikes: Colnago Brain, Master Bi-Titanio, Vitus 979, Specialized Roubaix, Salsa Marrakesh, and a couple of Treks

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked 40 Times in 27 Posts

I hear that Ebike are good targets for theft. I plan to use a decent U-lock, cable the QR front wheel, and remove the controller. I intend to swap out the seat post quick release clamp too.

Though the battery has a built in lock, I’m torn if I should remove the battery anyways. It’s heavy to carry around, but removing it makes steeling the bike less appealing, maybe? I can’t imagine parts like Shimano battery are worth stealing.

For years, taking out an expensive road bike never left my side, while I can comfortable leave a locked beach cruiser for hours just about anywhere. I want to be a little more proactive understanding the availability of portable power cutting tools, and having been victimized by catalytic converter theft.
Old 10-16-22, 10:43 AM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4322 Post(s)
Liked 3,943 Times in 2,636 Posts
Use good locks, don't just use thick locks or gimmicky locks. Find a company like ABUS that uses high quality virgin steel and knows how to temper and harden their locks for better security. I would personally get a keyed-a-like set from your local ABUS dealer which has a strong u-lock or folding lock or chain lock (13 or above), a frame lock which locks the rear wheel to the frame (and can have various accessory chains plugged into it for shorter stops) and then your battery lock which assuming is actually Shimano can be keyed-a-like. For any quick release wheels I would add Pitlocks (which can be used on multiple places on your bike) or Pinhead skewers or at the very least a non-QR skewer like Delta AxleRodz.

For shorter lock ups I would leave the battery but for longer stuff I would take it with me, a less tantalizing target. If you have a keyed-a-like system you don't have to struggle you just use the one key that unlocks everything and bing bang boom you are set.

In terms of how to lock up find a good sturdy object that cannot be moved and cannot have the bike lifted over it or under it. Avoid sign posts and similar stuff and avoid chainlink fences. Your locks are only as strong as your weakest point so you could have the strongest lock but locked to a chainlink fence they just cut the fence and are done. Also avoid places that are hard to see and hidden from the everyday public if the spot isn't visible and watched a thief has all the time they need to get through it.

Also note that any common bike room at work or in an apartment building is an easy place to steal from and is not safe no matter what you tell me, having had enough people come through the shop with the same story of it was locked and you need a an access card to get in and their are security guards and cameras but my bike was stolen I tell people to be quite careful. Your neighbors might be nice but they might have friends they let in who aren't or people might just slip in behind someone else who just doesn't care as much.

Make sure you are locking your frame as well I see a lot of people just lock to their wheels and you can take the rest of the bike easily and some people just locking frame and front wheel leaving their most valuable wheel open for theft but again with the frame lock (also sometimes called a cafe lock) it will help keep your rear wheel locked up.
Likes For veganbikes:
Old 10-18-22, 07:59 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5222 Post(s)
Liked 3,574 Times in 2,338 Posts
riding a rental unit, for the first time, this past weekend, & using the provided lock at the beach, I wondered what would happen if it was stolen. probably should have read the rental agreement. but for personal uses, if it's an expensive bike, I'm wondering insurance one might use

googling electric bike insurance brought back many results. where there's a need, there's a product!
Old 10-18-22, 08:29 AM
2old

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 877 Post(s)
Liked 810 Times in 612 Posts
If I ever let my bike out of sight, I would use an Altor SAF (yes, it means what you think) lock (maybe two); yeah, I know they're heavy, but also know the feeling of having had at least three bikes (none "e") stolen.
Likes For 2old:
Old 11-02-22, 11:51 PM
LV2TNDM

Bikes: Cannondale tandems: '92 Road, '97 Mtn. Mongoose 10.9 Ti, Kelly Deluxe, Tommaso Chorus, Cdale MT2000, Schwinn Deluxe Cruiser, Torker Unicycle, among others.

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 276 Post(s)
Liked 201 Times in 127 Posts
This is part of a post from another thread. Thought I'd share.

Today's world requires better locks. Luckily, there are some alternatives out there. They aren't cheap, but neither are bikes, cars or houses these days! And who's gonna balk at spending another hundred or two on a lock when they own a $5k to $10k bike? I own both the Altor SAF and Hiplok D1000 locks. They're an excellent solution to the current problem with grinders. They aren't perfect, but they're the best option right now. The Kryptonites and Abuses of the world (and just about every other security manufacturer out there) need to get on grinder-resistant material RIGHT NOW!

I visited a few local LBSs to show off my new Hiplok D1000 and sure enough, a really nice cargo bike was locked up across the street. A good $4k bike. It was locked with what USED to be an excellent security choice: Kryptonite NY lock. I own four NY Fagedabout locks (in addition to many other of its predecessors) and now realize they're obsolete. So that cargo bike I spotted is the perfect candidate for the $300 D1000.

There really isn't a "cheapo" cargo bike designed to carry the kids and groceries. Nor are there many cheapo e-bikes. This has ratcheted up the prices of utilitarian bikes that need effective security solutions.

"My bike's TOO NICE to lock!" is just not very helpful. You hear it all the time. With home, garage, shed, apartment, etc. burglary at all time highs, this statement is ridiculously false today.

Buy a better lock. The locks of the past are no longer good enough.

Time for new materials like Ferosafe and Proteus to be entering the market en force. I'm sure Kryptonite is madly formulating a grinder-resistant lock, but they're still mum on the subject.

Lock your bike better than average. Utilize all the tools to your advantage:

Best lock you can afford/buy/justify.
Lock your bike well. Don't just go through the top tube and walk away. Steerer tubes make frame cutting more difficult and tempting. Through the rear wheel between the stays locks your frame and rear wheel.
Use GPS trackers.
Photograph your bike & record your serial number.
Register your bike with the various online resources.
Don't lock up over night outside. There are exceptions, but rare, especially in the city.
Be sure what you're locking to is secure. The duct tape trick mentioned above is AWESOME. I hadn't heard that one before. I've heard about the loose sign post or parking meter in the ground trick, but not the "cut rack with tape concealing it" trick. Thanks!
Redouble your efforts to secure your bike storage area.
Add motion-sensing video surveillance.
Add motion-sensing alarms.
Add lighting.
Use more than one lock if you must. Thieves are opportunists and want a quick theft & resale. They'll pick the easier bike to steal.
Nothing's 100% (Physics & engineering dictate you cannot make a lock that cannot be broken), so consider insurance. Renters is usually a good deal.
Uglify your bike if this suits you.
Ride a "junker." All I can say is good luck!

I fear the day when portable, battery-powered plasma cutters hit the streets (will get through a D1000 in about ten seconds). When that happens, we'll have no recourse (short of attack dogs and firearms). Time for an international ban on the development and production of this sort of thing for consumers. No need for it, will only make theft more rampant.

Until then, be smart, utilize the resources and information out there, stay a step ahead of the scumbags and you'll probably be ok. This approach has served me well for about 40 years after losing my first and only bike to theft while using a horrible cable lock (which a locksmith said was stout).
Likes For LV2TNDM:
Old 11-08-22, 11:53 AM
jlmonte

Bikes: Colnago Brain, Master Bi-Titanio, Vitus 979, Specialized Roubaix, Salsa Marrakesh, and a couple of Treks

Having been the victim twice of catalytic converter thief, watching YouTube videos on thief prevention, and knowing cheap cordless power tools from Harbors Freight Tools are out there, I wrote the OP. After reading replies, I was reconsidered changing to a Pewag chain with my Abus U-lock. Sad, that adds another 4-5 lbs of cargo, and another $100. https://www.westechrigging.com/pewag...bag-kit-3.html

Some paranoid context, one catalytic converter was stolen in the parking of a restaurant, while I was having dinner. The other was on the street in front of an apartment building. Older vehicles (worth $6k) no comprehensive insurance, over $5k in repair. I’m reminded how upset I would get if my $2k Ebike was stolen or even messed with.

Doing some reconnaissance, I noticed my grocery store has no bike rack, railing or post to secure my bike near the entrance. What ever happened to those kiddie rides, or a newspaper stand? A solution, lock it to a Handicap Parking sign post. Then maybe someone will complain and I can plead a case for more bike security.
Old 11-08-22, 01:13 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

I wouldn't use that chain. It does look like chains are what Pewag does and has done for a while but not sure I would trust them for a bike lock. Maybe for locking up rigging equipment but I would just get an ABUS chain and lock

If I wanted max security this would be the choice: https://mobil.abus.com/int/on-road/L...-Loop?type=pdp
Or if really excellent security but not the tippy top (so less heavy as well): https://mobil.abus.com/int/on-road/L...black?type=pdp
Old 11-08-22, 07:19 PM
2old

The couple of times I've used my bike for food shopping (two different markets), I asked in the store if it was OK to bring my bike inside and was allowed to do it. I locked it near a register. You can always ask.
Old 11-09-22, 01:28 AM
jlmonte

Originally Posted by 2old
The couple of times I've used my bike for food shopping (two different markets), I asked in the store if it was OK to bring my bike inside and was allowed to do it. I locked it near a register. You can always ask.
I'd feel comfortable asking at the gents at the Ace Hardware store, but I might be in luck anyways. A Chase Bank with a bike rack is at the front of the shopping center. I think the bank might even ward off thieves.

@veganbikes I figuring upgrading to a chain & U-lock instead of cable & U-lock. My cable is the weak link.

@LV2TNDM Kryptonite was once the gold standard, and I had no business owning a bolt cutter. Yet, I have a rather large pair from Harbor Freight to bypass (secure) Master locks with lost keys.
Old 11-09-22, 03:14 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Originally Posted by jlmonte
@veganbikes I figuring upgrading to a chain & U-lock instead of cable & U-lock. My cable is the weak link.

@LV2TNDM Kryptonite was once the gold standard, and I had no business owning a bolt cutter. Yet, I have a rather large pair from Harbor Freight to bypass (secure) Master locks with lost keys.
Yes a chain can be quite the security device assuming it is properly hardened and tempered steel ideally virgin from a known company that does their work in security. Having a second lock isn't a bad idea but it all depends on what your first lock is and how secure that is because in the end if that is a lower security lock than I would make that the second lock and get a really good lock for the first one.

Kryptonite was OK at one point but it was all just ideas taken from others. Stan Kaplan invented the design that Michael Zane is credited for on the Krypto website. And the U-lock came from ABUS from what I understand but I do think Kaplan invented the first lock to other things u-lock vs the older stuff to lock bikes to themselves. However now Krypto has been bought out enough that it is on the back burner and faggetabout them for good security.
Old 11-10-22, 09:29 AM
2old

My son had a U-lock with which he secured his bike to a steel plate embedded in the wall of a locked garage. Unfortunately, thieves sawed the steel plate off and took the bike lock and all. I've also read about bike carriers being sawed off with the bikes still attached. Cautionary tale(s).
Old 11-13-22, 02:44 PM
davidjaxson

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 8 Posts
I don't believe there is a lock that can't be breached in short order. I carry a good ABUS look but only like my bike up in places where I am withing constant visual range of it such as restaurants or coffee shops with a patio. When I commute, I am fortunate enough that I can park it in my office.
Old 11-13-22, 04:51 PM
2old

Look at the Altor SAF if you think all locks are easy to defeat. I saw a YouTube video and it took several multiple batteries and cutting wheels and about an hour to cut it. Also, the lock is difficult to pick.
Old 11-14-22, 07:21 AM
Kabuki12

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 869 Post(s)
Liked 2,263 Times in 1,267 Posts
I don’t carry a lock , I don’t go anywhere on my bike that I have to leave it unattended. My home and my shop are secure ….enough and I have insurance at those locations. There are no locks that I am aware that can not be cut with a cordless grinder and the right blade . My neighbor at work is a police officer and he told me it is an ever growing problem . When he saw my collection he asked about it because he didn’t see any locks and I told him I just don’t leave them unattended when I ride. I’ve been riding over 50 years and when I was young (in the sixties) I had a couple bikes stolen and that was enough for me. It can still happen, as was mentioned, someone could break in to your garage or shop and steal but hopefully you would be insured, best to check with your insurance company. What I was told was to take photos and serial # ‘s , which I have done. That’s about it , no guarantees.
Likes For Kabuki12:
Old 11-14-22, 12:00 PM
2old

Originally Posted by Kabuki12
I don’t carry a lock , I don’t go anywhere on my bike that I have to leave it unattended. My home and my shop are secure ….enough and I have insurance at those locations. There are no locks that I am aware that can not be cut with a cordless grinder and the right blade . My neighbor at work is a police officer and he told me it is an ever growing problem . When he saw my collection he asked about it because he didn’t see any locks and I told him I just don’t leave them unattended when I ride. I’ve been riding over 50 years and when I was young (in the sixties) I had a couple bikes stolen and that was enough for me. It can still happen, as was mentioned, someone could break in to your garage or shop and steal but hopefully you would be insured, best to check with your insurance company. What I was told was to take photos and serial # ‘s , which I have done. That’s about it , no guarantees.
I don't leave my bike unattended either, but as I've said before, take a look at YouTube videos of the Altor SAF lock (I think there is a Hip-e-lock that's pretty safe too).
Old 11-21-22, 11:34 AM
jlmonte

[QUOTE=Kabuki12;22710231 My neighbor at work is a police officer and he told me it is an ever growing problem . When he saw my collection he asked about it because he didn’t see any locks and I told him I just don’t leave them unattended when I ride. I’ve been riding over 50 years and when I was young (in the sixties) I had a couple bikes stolen and that was enough for me. .[/QUOTE]

Hey neighbor, I’m in Ventura County, CA too and of the same mindset. I was 30 years old, splurged over $1k on a precious road bike after having a new baby daughter, I always kept both within sight, though I admit I did lose my daughter for a moment inside a Sears. Luckily I did dodge having to request an announcement over the PA system seeking help to recover a lost child.

28 years later my goal has changed to become less car reliance. Unfortunately today, I suspect my Fuji Ebike has a greater risk of theft than my steel Colnago with Campy 9 speed.
Old 12-01-22, 02:38 PM
LV2TNDM

Bikes: Cannondale tandems: '92 Road, '97 Mtn. Mongoose 10.9 Ti, Kelly Deluxe, Tommaso Chorus, Cdale MT2000, Schwinn Deluxe Cruiser, Torker Unicycle, among others.

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 276 Post(s)
Liked 201 Times in 127 Posts
Originally Posted by 2old
I don't leave my bike unattended either, but as I've said before, take a look at YouTube videos of the Altor SAF lock (I think there is a Hip-e-lock that's pretty safe too).

"Don't leave my bikes unattended?"
So you sleep with them? Shower with them? Bring them into work meetings with you? This is silly. EVERYONE'S bikes get left unattended! Anyone here leaving bikes unlocked while at home are simply just waiting for them to be stolen. This is probably the most common form of theft these days - garages being broken into. No lock is grinder proof, but if you make it harder for thieves, they'll move on to easier targets. I put two very stout hasps on my bike storage & shop garage. Then when grinders became even more powerful, I reinforced my hasps & locks, making them much harder to defeat. Plus I have security cameras pointed at my garage with motion-sensing cameras inside, so if there's any motion sensed at 2am, I get a notification. So there ARE ways to secure your valuable bikes, you just have to devote some time & effort to it.

Both the Altor SAF and Hiplok D1000 are virtually grinder proof. Both are very expensive at $250-$300. These are now the gold standard. I own and use both. The Altor is VERY hard to carry and use. The Hiplok is very hard to get. REI has it on their website, and it appears to be in stock.

Or just purchase good insurance coverage so you can recover you loss. However, if you're like me, no insurance can replace custom bikes or custom-painted bikes.
Old 12-01-22, 03:28 PM
2old

The comment I alluded to was in relation to what I do when I'm riding my ebike and stop at a location. Anybody with an ounce of intelligence knows that an individual can't be with his bike all the time. I do my best to protect my property, but these are just things and can be replaced. I've got bikes in multiple residences, some inside a garage as well as in spare rooms. I've reported this comment as being argumentative, and welcome to my ignore list.

Last edited by 2old; 12-01-22 at 04:26 PM.
Old 12-18-22, 03:55 PM
Mehedi286

Bikes: Aventon’s Soltera

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Here are some tips on this matter from my side:

1. Invest in a high-security lock: Invest in a high-security lock that is made of thick metal and is resistant to cutting and other forms of tampering. U-locks and disc locks are the most secure options and should be used to secure both the frame and the wheels of your ebike.

2. Lock your ebike in a secure area: Secure your ebike in a secluded area away from public view. If this is not possible, lock your ebike to a secure bike rack or other immovable object in a well-lit area.

3. Lock your ebike when it is parked: Even when you are out riding your ebike, make sure to lock it up when it is parked. This will help to deter theft and reduce the risk of your ebike being stolen.

4. Use two locks: Using two different locks is an effective way to deter thieves. Make sure to use two different types of locks, such as a U-lock and a chain lock, for additional security.

5. Register your ebike: Registering your ebike with your local police department helps to increase the chances of it being recovered if it is stolen.
Old 12-18-22, 05:30 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Originally Posted by Mehedi286
Here are some tips on this matter from my side:

1. Invest in a high-security lock: Invest in a high-security lock that is made of thick metal and is resistant to cutting and other forms of tampering. U-locks and disc locks are the most secure options and should be used to secure both the frame and the wheels of your ebike.

2. Lock your ebike in a secure area: Secure your ebike in a secluded area away from public view. If this is not possible, lock your ebike to a secure bike rack or other immovable object in a well-lit area.
Away from public view can mean it is an easier target for theft. I would rather keep my bike in front of a coffee shop or similar place rather than hidden in a back alley where a thief is away from view as well. If you do have a not secure place* in a building or something like that then yes keeping it out of view is helpful but you still must make sure it is locked.

For the first one I don't disagree except on the thick lock, properly tempered and hardened virgin steel is more important than just thickness some companies use cheaper materials and make them thicker instead of using quality materials that are harder to cut because they are prepared properly. However yes, good locks and different locks. You can get locking bolts and such for various components should you desire as well as full keyed-a-like sets from ABUS and potentially others now meaning you can get your battery(s), frame and wheel locked using 3+ locks with the same key. It makes life easier. I have two e-bikes in the family and they all use the same key making it super convenient and secure because if something happens one or the other can go and rescue the bike or if someone forgets a key we can still lock up.

*No building is really secure, I have heard of plenty of bikes getting stolen out of apartment and office buildings even ones that are secure and require ID or whatever to get in. Cameras are cute but if the person on the other side just doesn't care or not viewing it, it doesn't matter at that point. Sometimes cameras are a slight deterrent and sometimes not at all.
Old 01-04-23, 04:33 AM
Milepost105 

Bikes: Vintage to Electric

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 52 Times in 17 Posts
In some situations I pop off the front wheel and take it with me. My theory is that an incomplete unrideable bike is less attractive to the thief that wants to ride off with it. Of course I lock what I leave behind.
Old 01-04-23, 04:35 AM
Milepost105 

Bikes: Vintage to Electric

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 52 Times in 17 Posts
That goes for storage at home, too. Bike in our garage or storage building, front wheel and battery in the house in a closet or basement.
Likes For Milepost105:
Old 01-20-23, 03:08 PM
Calsun
Banned

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 608 Post(s)
Liked 382 Times in 288 Posts
There is only one bike lock that can resist a portable angle grinder with a cut-off wheel for any amount of time and that is the Hiplok D1000 that sells for $300.https://hiplok.com/d1000-anti-angle-grinder-bike-lock/

I have an 18v cordless angle grinder and I have used it with $4 cut-off wheels to cut through chains and lock shackles in seconds.

Best practice is to keep the bike out of sight and not rely on any lock to stop a thief. The alternative is to own a cheap bike that you can afford to lose and is easy to replace. A local bike shop sell older mountain bikes for $250 and that is what I have used on my motorhome with its external bike rack. I would not think of putting our two $7,000 e-bikes on the rack and hoping they would not get stolen.