Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

dry bag measurements, need shorter larger diameter one for fitting in a drop bar.

Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

dry bag measurements, need shorter larger diameter one for fitting in a drop bar.

Old 01-15-23, 04:24 PM
RayLee

Bikes: YT Izzo, Privateer 161, Carbonda 696, Mason InSearchOf, cheap SC High Ball knock off

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 5 Posts

dry bag measurements listed anywhere, need shorter larger diameter one for fitting in a drop bar.

Anyone know of a brand or site that sells dry bags and shows measurements? seems most only show volume but I am looking for a slightly fatter but shorter one so its fits between the hoods on my drop bar. Going on a trip a little early this year and will need to stuff a few more lightweight but slightly bulkier items... puffy coat, under quilt, heavier top quilt/sleeping bag.
Old 01-15-23, 09:27 PM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 3426 Post(s)
Liked 1,441 Times in 1,122 Posts
Sealline, click on Tech Specs to get dimensions.
https://www.seallinegear.com/dry-bags

Seattle Sports lists dimensions but several are out of stock.
https://www.seattlesportsco.com/bags/dry-bags.html

NRS lists dimensions on some of their bags.
https://www.nrs.com/dry-bags/c5373

It looks like everybody lists dimensions.
Likes For Tourist in MSN:
Old 01-17-23, 06:09 PM
Pratt

Quoted: 409 Post(s)
Liked 488 Times in 291 Posts
Maybe get one that is fat enough, but too long and cut it down?
Likes For Pratt:
Old 01-17-23, 10:16 PM
phughes

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1018 Post(s)
Liked 1,245 Times in 718 Posts
Go to rei.com and search for dry bags. The Sea to Summit bags give dimensions. Some others do but not all.
Likes For phughes:
Old 01-18-23, 01:53 AM
Claude.fr

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 11 Posts
Originally Posted by RayLee
dry bag measurements listed anywhere, need shorter larger diameter one for fitting in a drop bar.

Anyone know of a brand or site that sells dry bags and shows measurements? seems most only show volume but I am looking for a slightly fatter but shorter one so its fits between the hoods on my drop bar. Going on a trip a little early this year and will need to stuff a few more lightweight but slightly bulkier items... puffy coat, under quilt, heavier top quilt/sleeping bag.

Ask Bonfus for a custom dry bag.

https://bonfus.com/product/dcf-dry-bags/
Old 01-18-23, 06:12 AM
staehpj1

Quoted: 1236 Post(s)
Liked 744 Times in 554 Posts
Pretty much every place I have shopped for bags has listed dimensions (REI, NRS, etc.). If you see a bag and don't see the dimension find the same bag on another site for dimensions. Either REI or the manufactuerer will generally have the dimensions IME. Keep in mind that, assuming a roll top bag, within reason you can just roll the top down an extra roll or two to get to the length you want. Just don't go way longer than you need.
Old 01-18-23, 08:10 AM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Another option is a waterproof compression sack since it sounds like you mostly are dealing with compressible stuff. They do not list dimensions, but since the stuff you want to bring is quite compressible, this might be the best option. For several years I have used these for my sleeping bag and I often put my down vest or other clothing in the same bag too.
https://www.granitegear.com/event-si...n-drysack.html

Sea to Summit also makes them, but I have only used Granite Gear ones.

If you yank on the cord to compress them, you should expect damage. I use one hand to compress the bag and then tighten the cord to take up the slack with the other hand. And if I want to really compress it, I sit on it to compress it and then take up the slack on the cords.

The Granite Gear 18 liter one has a circumference of 26 inches. The 10 liter one is 21 inch circumference. I could not find my 13 liter one to measure.
Old 01-18-23, 11:53 AM
RayLee

Bikes: YT Izzo, Privateer 161, Carbonda 696, Mason InSearchOf, cheap SC High Ball knock off

Liked 8 Times in 5 Posts
thank you all, crazy I searched for "dry bag" the first 15-20 products where volume only... thanks for the links and all the info.
Old 01-22-23, 07:31 PM
RayLee

Liked 8 Times in 5 Posts
I ended up ordering a Sea To Summit and Granite Gear for myself but actually found two new old stock/clearance Salsa bags for my wife's bike frame bag/top loader bar bag.

The top loader should work out well for my wife's narrower bars with just her sleeping bag and under quilt. She does longer trips with me but we do hotels when we go together, super stoked for this as it will be her first camping bike trip. Its going to be on the C&O/GAP...pretty much zero elevation other than a couple short detours and running in and out of towns. We are going in April so keeping the gear dry and mud on the C&O are really the only things worth thinking about.

thanks again, honestly still surprised that so many tent, hammock, bag, stuff sack brands do not give packed measurements and only focus on volume and weight.
Likes For RayLee:
Old 01-23-23, 06:47 AM
Tourist in MSN

A group of three of us did GAP and C&O in early May 2013. Wow, that was almost 10 years ago.

It is a good idea to be ready for wet weather.

One of our group did not have fenders, his tours since then included fenders.

He also bought Ortlieb Backrollers after that trip.
Old 01-24-23, 11:51 AM
phughes

Quoted: 1018 Post(s)
Liked 1,245 Times in 718 Posts
Originally Posted by Tourist in MSN
A group of three of us did GAP and C&O in early May 2013. Wow, that was almost 10 years ago.

It is a good idea to be ready for wet weather.

One of our group did not have fenders, his tours since then included fenders.

He also bought Ortlieb Backrollers after that trip.
Don't feel bad. I did it going from Pittsburgh to DC during Hurricane Irene. Talk about downpours. I had a great tome though and enjoyed every minute of it. I especially enjoyed the C&O. I would highly recommend fenders though. (I know it wasn't you without fenders.) They make all the difference int he world. They help on trails like the GAP even when it is dry, preventing all the crushed limestone dust from getting in the drivetrain.

I encountered very few people on that trip, due to the hurricane, and they were all going away from DC. I did see a guy with no fenders, and he and his gear were covered in mud. Not the way I like to ride.

Last edited by phughes; 01-24-23 at 12:58 PM.
Likes For phughes: