Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Knee Compression Sleeve?

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Knee Compression Sleeve?

Old 02-06-23, 09:11 PM
BROOKLINEBIKER

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Knee Compression Sleeve?

Can anyone recommend a knee sleeve that would provide compression for cycling that doesn't slip or bunch up, doesn't have side stabilizers, and preferably has a hole cut out for the knee cap?
Old 02-09-23, 08:55 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5218 Post(s)
Liked 3,564 Times in 2,331 Posts
Originally Posted by BROOKLINEBIKER
Can anyone recommend a knee sleeve that would provide compression for cycling that doesn't slip or bunch up, doesn't have side stabilizers, and preferably has a hole cut out for the knee cap?
sounds like you have already tried a few?
Old 02-09-23, 09:59 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 6100 Post(s)
Liked 4,732 Times in 3,262 Posts
What about some knee warmers? Or just calf length bibs/shorts? They have a little compression, but whether that is where you need it is the question. I don't know of any with the knee cut out.
Old 02-09-23, 10:47 AM
SoCaled 

Bikes: Cuevas Custom, Cimmaron, 1988 "Pinalized Rockma", 1984 Trek 510, Moulton custom touring, Raleigh Competition GS, Bridgestone Mb-2 & 3, 1980's Peugeot - US, City, & Canyon Express (6)

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1061 Post(s)
Liked 3,541 Times in 1,764 Posts
https://incrediwear.com/collections/...y=best-selling - I have had very good experience with this company for elbow and ankle braces/sleeves. I found they provided more even pressure/comfort and slipped less than other brands by a good measure.
https://www.bauerfeind.com/b2c/Produ.../c/knee-braces - I have been reading up on this company, but have not purchased anything yet. Very positive reviews and they make knee sleeves for the NBA.

Fit, for me, is always the hardest part for sleeves/braces. Both of these companies offer good instructions and support with fit.
Old 02-09-23, 11:11 AM
BROOKLINEBIKER

Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by rumrunn6
sounds like you have already tried a few?
Yes!
Likes For BROOKLINEBIKER:
Old 02-09-23, 01:02 PM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5218 Post(s)
Liked 3,564 Times in 2,331 Posts
Yes!
I've tried some products but I never liked how they felt. even with the ones w/ the knockout for the kneecap were still uncomfortable. don't remember why I was using them. I did have knee surgery at one point in my life, but not sure I was experimenting w/ braces for the torn meniscus. I don't think so. I might have just sprained a knee?

I recently got some knee things (knee warmer / brace) that are soft, maybe they would work for you. don't know how much support you need, or why. I use them to keep my pants away from the gears
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07YMTC2LJ...v_ov_lig_dp_it

they look like this

Last edited by rumrunn6; 02-09-23 at 01:10 PM.
Old 02-09-23, 02:36 PM
LV2TNDM

Bikes: Cannondale tandems: '92 Road, '97 Mtn. Mongoose 10.9 Ti, Kelly Deluxe, Tommaso Chorus, Cdale MT2000, Schwinn Deluxe Cruiser, Torker Unicycle, among others.

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 275 Post(s)
Liked 201 Times in 127 Posts
Originally Posted by Iride01
What about some knee warmers? Or just calf length bibs/shorts? They have a little compression, but whether that is where you need it is the question. I don't know of any with the knee cut out.
I practically live in knee warmers. And the last thing I would want? A hole over the kneecap! I want those kneecaps warm along with the rest of my knee! The nice thing about them is that they're easy to remove if the weather gets warm enough to go without. However, that said, I'm now wearing sun sleeves on my knees during hot weather to eliminate sunburn. Arm sun sleeves too; I simply HATE sunscreen. Plus, it needs to be reapplied. Sleeves can be soaked in water too for nice cooling on those super hot climbs.
Old 02-09-23, 03:15 PM
Jeff Neese

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1080 Post(s)
Liked 681 Times in 438 Posts
The Incrediwear braces already mentioned are good and have held up very well, for years.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...TF8&th=1&psc=1

I also have a pair of these and they're at least as good, maybe a little more comfortable.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

These both do have a very light and flexible side brace running down each side, but those are there to keep them from bunching up - they don't provide much in the way of actual support. Both of these work well, and I'm at the stage where I need them all the time while cycling.
Old 02-09-23, 04:01 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 2512 Post(s)
Liked 5,426 Times in 2,826 Posts
Instead, I would recommend seeing a physical therapist to strengthen your knee, unless you have already gone that route.

Old 02-09-23, 05:01 PM
Leisesturm

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2473 Post(s)
Liked 722 Times in 513 Posts
Ace has a knee brace exactly like what you want. I didn't get it through Amazon so I don't have a link for it. Look through their line-up. You'll find it. If you can live without the hole for your patella, these are way more supportive.
Old 02-09-23, 10:39 PM
BROOKLINEBIKER

Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Thanks for the responses. To answer some questions from respondents:
  • I don't require support, but significant compression of the muscles around the knee. The idea is to squeeze fluid out of the knee because it inhibits muscular performance.
  • The hole in the knee cap is to prevent downward pressure on the cartilage/bone in and around the kneecap.
  • Physical therapy has been tried, is ongoing, and the PTs have suggested a compression sleeve.
Old 02-10-23, 12:44 AM
Leisesturm

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2473 Post(s)
Liked 722 Times in 513 Posts
Thanks for the responses. To answer some questions from respondents:
  • I don't require support, but significant compression of the muscles around the knee. The idea is to squeeze fluid out of the knee because it inhibits muscular performance.
  • The hole in the knee cap is to prevent downward pressure on the cartilage/bone in and around the kneecap.
  • Physical therapy has been tried, is ongoing, and the PTs have suggested a compression sleeve.
The compression sleeve I linked is one of the best on the market. Maybe cut your own hole in one. I don't think any actually come with holes because most people that use and want a sleeve want full compression. I don't believe that most find that there is concentrated downward pressure from them.
Old 02-10-23, 08:39 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 6100 Post(s)
Liked 4,732 Times in 3,262 Posts
Originally Posted by LV2TNDM
I practically live in knee warmers. And the last thing I would want? A hole over the kneecap! I want those kneecaps warm along with the rest of my knee! The nice thing about them is that they're easy to remove if the weather gets warm enough to go without. However, that said, I'm now wearing sun sleeves on my knees during hot weather to eliminate sunburn. Arm sun sleeves too; I simply HATE sunscreen. Plus, it needs to be reapplied. Sleeves can be soaked in water too for nice cooling on those super hot climbs.
The OP was asking about suggestions for some compression around their knee. Warmth wasn't a requirement. But the OP did say that they'd like a hole for the knee.

How did this get to sunscreen? <grin>
Old 02-10-23, 11:03 PM
LV2TNDM

Bikes: Cannondale tandems: '92 Road, '97 Mtn. Mongoose 10.9 Ti, Kelly Deluxe, Tommaso Chorus, Cdale MT2000, Schwinn Deluxe Cruiser, Torker Unicycle, among others.

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 275 Post(s)
Liked 201 Times in 127 Posts
Knee warmers provide compression. They come in various thicknesses, which translate to different amounts of compression. I like this aspect of them as well. So since knee warmers are commonly used among cyclists, the OP may find pretty good selection and something that will easily meet his compression needs. That was the gist of it. Sun sleeves provide the added benefit of sun protection. That's all.