Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

So very scared and confused.

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

So very scared and confused.

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-23, 06:08 AM
SJX426 

Bikes: '65 Frejus TDF, '73 Bottecchia Giro d'Italia, '83 Colnago Superissimo, '84 Trek 610, '84 Trek 760, '88 Pinarello Veneto, '88 De Rosa Pro, '89 Pinarello Montello, '94 Burley Duet, 97 Specialized RockHopper, 2010 Langster, Tern Link D8

Mentioned: 73 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1607 Post(s)
Liked 2,213 Times in 1,103 Posts
@merziac and @daka - Replacement cones were found by donation and purchase. Oddly, the rear came from a hub with a circumferential break near the DS. Thank you @RustyJames!

Last edited by SJX426; 02-07-23 at 11:35 AM.
Old 02-07-23, 07:49 AM
Trakhak

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 2479 Post(s)
Liked 2,947 Times in 1,673 Posts
Originally Posted by nlerner
Welcome to the world of cracked derailleur pulleys, brinelled headsets, stress risers lurking in the crankarms, easily snapped seat-binder bolts, and RDs with extremely limited capacity!
And brakes that were designed to be "speed modulators," rather than to bring the bike to a rapid stop (unless you have Popeye forearms). And pedals with cages so narrow they were apparently meant for Chinese women with bound feet. And a saddle clamp bolt arrangement that requires a bizarre dogleg wrench for adjustment.

Speaking of "Brinelled headsets"---the Campy rep who conducted a seminar for area bike store employees that I attended in the mid-'70s spent quite a bit of time explaining why most warranty claims (this was back when Campy still offered a lifetime warranty) would be denied. (Short answer: "Whatever the problem is, it's your fault, not ours.")

The rep's Gotcha! for headsets: the rep loosened the Campy headset on a demo bike and instructed a bike shop volunteer to show us how he typically went about adjusting a headset. The volunteer picked up two Campy headset wrenches and proceeded to use one to adjust the play out and then the other to snug down the lock nut.

The rep then announced gleefully, "He just performed a hardness test!" He explained where the volunteer went wrong and why Campy wasn't responsible for damage caused by ham-handed mechanics.

It didn't occur to any of us to ask, "Since all of us use the same technique for all brands of headsets, why does the Brinelling problem arise only with Campy?"

That said, one of the things that I learned from that seminar was this: if you lose a Campy bearing ball in the course of overhauing a bearing assembly, don't simply replace the one ball---replace all of them. Campy, the rep said, doesn't guarantee that all the bearing balls they've ever manufactured will match within plus-or-minus 4 microns---only that the balls supplied together in one package (i.e., those from the same production run) will.
Old 02-07-23, 09:30 AM
RustyJames 

Bikes: You had me at rusty and Italian!!

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 565 Post(s)
Liked 1,044 Times in 541 Posts
Originally Posted by SJX426
@merziac and @daka - Replacement cones were found by donation and purchase. Oddly, the rear came from a hub with a circumferential brake near the DS. Thank you @RustyJames!
Glad that worked out!
Old 02-07-23, 10:19 AM
daka

Bikes: Raleigh Super Course, Raleigh International, Raleigh Gran Sport

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 250 Post(s)
Liked 315 Times in 197 Posts
Originally Posted by Trakhak

That said, one of the things that I learned from that seminar was this: if you lose a Campy bearing ball in the course of overhauing a bearing assembly, don't simply replace the one ball---replace all of them. Campy, the rep said, doesn't guarantee that all the bearing balls they've ever manufactured will match within plus-or-minus 4 microns---only that the balls supplied together in one package (i.e., those from the same production run) will.
I think that is the rule-of-thumb for all bearing assemblies (not just Campy) in a good bike shop. At least it is what I was taught when I worked at a LBS.
Old 02-10-23, 08:29 AM
Reynolds 
Passista

Bikes: 1998 Pinarello Asolo, 1992 KHS Montaña pro, 1980 Raleigh DL-1, IGH Hybrid, IGH Utility

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 866 Post(s)
Liked 720 Times in 395 Posts
Originally Posted by Trakhak

The rep's Gotcha! for headsets: the rep loosened the Campy headset on a demo bike and instructed a bike shop volunteer to show us how he typically went about adjusting a headset. The volunteer picked up two Campy headset wrenches and proceeded to use one to adjust the play out and then the other to snug down the lock nut.

The rep then announced gleefully, "He just performed a hardness test!" He explained where the volunteer went wrong and why Campy wasn't responsible for damage caused by ham-handed mechanics.
What was the method recommended by the rep?
Old 02-10-23, 09:54 PM
seedsbelize2

Bikes: 79 Trek 930 is back on the road, 80 Trek 414, 84 Schwinn Letour Luxe,87 Schwinn Prelude, 92 Schwinn Paramount PDG 5

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3166 Post(s)
Liked 1,818 Times in 1,150 Posts
I have a set of pedals, and record hubs in my tubular wheels. I feel no pull to have more.