Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Sidi shoes- A Depreciation

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-23, 11:28 AM
icemilkcoffee 

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1557 Post(s)
Liked 1,732 Times in 972 Posts

I have been wearing my Sidi Dominator 10 shoes for the last week, and I have to say, their rotary knobs really suck. I get that they are trying to save a few bucks by not using the universal standard BOA knobs. But their own version has two glaring problems:
1. it's hard to find the flip-up tab. It's blended in with the round knob- same color and same texture. You can't see it in dim light. And you can't even find it by feel because while there is a tiny upturned lip there, the hinges also have a slight upturn. So it's a frustrating fumble every time.
2. The BOA knob can be detensioned by just pulling up on it once. While Sidi's stupid knob requires you to squeeze on the release tabs and hold it. Maybe not the end of the world if you only have one knob. But with two knobs you end up having to detension the top knob, use your other hand to open up the strap, and then let go, and detension the bottom knob, and then wiggle your foot out.
Sidi basically took the foolproof and convenient BOA knob, and made it fussy and inconvenient. Well done saving $2 on a $200+ shoes. /rant
Likes For icemilkcoffee:
Old 02-07-23, 11:39 AM
rosefarts
With a mighty wind

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1086 Post(s)
Liked 858 Times in 487 Posts
My personal opinion on all things Boa and all things faux Boa, is to avoid at all costs.

I legitimately don’t know a higher level skier or snowboarder who hasn’t had to fix theirs at least once a season.

I’ve heard mixed reviews for cycling shoes.

I don’t hate laces. I like buckles and Velcro.

“Boa? Just say No-a”

(is that as annoying as Steel is Real)
Likes For rosefarts:
Old 02-07-23, 11:47 AM
msu2001la

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1455 Post(s)
Liked 1,477 Times in 867 Posts
Now that you mention it, I do find it mildly annoying that it takes me a few more seconds to take off my expensive Italian cycling shoes after a ride. Beyond that, I haven't really found SIDI's enclosure system to be problematic, but I would prefer BOA enclosures for the reasons stated.

As for velcro and buckles, no thanks. Velcro wears out and both options place pressure points on the restraint location that wire enclosures spread out better. Laces still work really good - I don't know why more cycling shoes don't just go with those.
Old 02-07-23, 12:16 PM
terrymorse 
climber has-been

Bikes: Scott Addict R1, Felt Z1

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 3414 Post(s)
Liked 3,543 Times in 1,783 Posts
Vittoria used to have its non-Boa lacing tech, which I like. It's simpler and more robust than Boa, adjusting is an easy twist (no need to flip up the lever). Removing the shoe takes a few extra seconds to unwind the lace, but who really cares about that? You're done with the ride, take a moment.

Vittoria has caved in, and their new models all use Boa. Oh well.

Old 02-07-23, 04:03 PM
staehpj1

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1250 Post(s)
Liked 753 Times in 560 Posts
I have never use any of the new boa or boa like systems. So I can't really comment on them. I have a "new" pair of Sidi Dominators that I just started wearing, but I bought them a while back so they are still velcro and buckles. I like them, but they are still new.

The shoes they replaced were a little lower end Sidi model that were all velcro. They are pretty worn out, but the velcro is still fine. Same for the pair before them, but their life was cut short by puppy teeth. I had several other shoes of various brands. Some with velcro and some with laces. The vekcro was all fine. The laces sucked. Those were all MTB shoes (some were used on the road).

I had a few different road shoes over the decades no trouble with the velcro. I do like the top buckle on my current Dominators. It is nice to be able to snug up or loosen the top on the go. I guess the boa allows that for the whole shoe. Seems like it might be a gimmick I really don't need. Given the choice I'd probably stick with what I have.
Likes For staehpj1:
Old 02-07-23, 04:11 PM
MikeWMass

Bikes: Velosolex St. Tropez, LeMond Zurich (spine bike), Rotator swb recumbent

Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 67 Times in 32 Posts
I have a pair of Sidi shoes that are 16 years old. I only ride 2-3K miles per year but they are fine.
3 velcro straps
I like that the different areas can be adjusted separately, unlike Boa (or for that matter laces).
Much like ski boots.
Interestingly, hockey skates experimented with buckles a few years ago, but seem to have gone back to laces.
Old 02-07-23, 08:14 PM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 3943 Post(s)
Liked 7,286 Times in 2,942 Posts
Originally Posted by icemilkcoffee
1. it's hard to find the flip-up tab. It's blended in with the round knob- same color and same texture. You can't see it in dim light. And you can't even find it by feel because while there is a tiny upturned lip there, the hinges also have a slight upturn. So it's a frustrating fumble every time.
That's why you buy the models with little red buttons that make the knobs pop up.
Old 02-07-23, 08:38 PM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3885 Post(s)
Liked 1,938 Times in 1,383 Posts
I once had a person walk up to me after an event ride, holding a Dominator and its severed buckle. "Could you show me how to release this buckle? I had to cut the straps to get out of my shoes!"

"There's a hole in everything" - Leonard Cohen

I had my first pair of Dominators stolen after about 50,000 miles, still in perfect shape. My second pair fit exactly like that first pair. Still have 'em, still look and perform like new. Never had any other footwear like that. I think the OP will get used to the system.
Old 02-08-23, 02:27 AM
TiHabanero

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1741 Post(s)
Liked 1,369 Times in 718 Posts
This summer I replaced two pair of Sidi shoes, one Dominator and one Genius with the last model year available with buckle and velcro. The ones I replaced were from the mid-90's and the buckles had never been replaced and the velcro still held. I had played with S-Works with Boa for a season or two, but every year they had to be replaced due to breakage. Sure, they have a lifetime warranty, but they should not be so flimsy. I am sure Boa has improved the design so they don't wear out so readily, however I put them in the trash this past summer. Only put about 1000 miles on them. Very disappointed, thus back to Sidi I went.
My son had the exact same experience as I did with the same model shoe. He is now on Sidi as well, however he is using the wire lace system, and loves it. If the Dominator and Genius were available with laces, no question I would have chosen them instead. Laces work really, really well on my hiking boots, skates, ski boots, and running shoes.
Old 02-08-23, 06:53 AM
bruce19

Bikes: CAAD 12, MASI Gran Criterium S, Colnago World Cup CX & Guru steel

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1743 Post(s)
Liked 1,280 Times in 740 Posts
Originally Posted by icemilkcoffee
I have been wearing my Sidi Dominator 10 shoes for the last week, and I have to say, their rotary knobs really suck. I get that they are trying to save a few bucks by not using the universal standard BOA knobs. But their own version has two glaring problems:
2. The BOA knob can be detensioned by just pulling up on it once. While Sidi's stupid knob requires you to squeeze on the release tabs and hold it. Maybe not the end of the world if you only have one knob. But with two knobs you end up having to detension the top knob, use your other hand to open up the strap, and then let go, and detension the bottom knob, and then wiggle your foot out.
Sidi basically took the foolproof and convenient BOA knob, and made it fussy and inconvenient. Well done saving $2 on a $200+ shoes. /rant
I bought a pair of Sidi shoes about 3 yrs ago and this is EXACTLY my beef with them. I won't buy another pair.
Likes For bruce19:
Old 02-08-23, 07:03 AM
easyupbug 

Bikes: too many sparkly Italians, some sweet Americans and a couple interesting Japanese

Quoted: 567 Post(s)
Liked 563 Times in 405 Posts
Did not care for Sidi or Shimano Boa, preferred Shimano's various buckle versions to Sidi buckles but have found Specialized S Work Recon lace ups and am very happy.
Old 02-08-23, 07:59 AM
Germany_chris
I’m a little Surly

Bikes: Two Cross Checks, a Karate Monkey, a Disc Trucker, and a VO Randonneur

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 699 Post(s)
Liked 1,294 Times in 647 Posts
I have Boa on a pair of Lakes and laces on Dromarti. While I like Boas ability to pull the stiffer non leather outer I think I'd like the squeeze of the Sidi since I can never get the boa dial to release without sitting down and kicking my foot out to the side.
Old 02-08-23, 11:04 AM
icemilkcoffee 

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1557 Post(s)
Liked 1,732 Times in 972 Posts
Originally Posted by Carbonfiberboy
.... I think the OP will get used to the system.
Problem is I got used to the BOA knobs on my previous Giro shoes (and Giro doesn't make the HV line of wide shoes anymore). That's why Sidi's version annoys me so much.
Old 02-08-23, 11:54 AM
seypat

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 3241 Post(s)
Liked 2,512 Times in 1,510 Posts
If the Dominator and Genius were available with laces, no question I would have chosen them instead. Laces work really, really well on my hiking boots, skates, ski boots, and running shoes.
This. You can also install speed laces if you desire. A quick finger or thumb yank on the fly is all that's needed for adjustment. Plus, let's not forget that argueably the coolest looking cycling shoes of all time are/were laced. Retro at it's finest. PF Flyers, Converse All Stars and Weapons. Brings back the memories! The DMT's from 2016 and the iconic Weapon.

https://www.pinterest.com/pin/2016-t...8408808092571/

Last edited by seypat; 02-08-23 at 12:08 PM.
Likes For seypat:
Old 02-11-23, 09:06 AM
Greyhounds

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
I've never purchased anything other than lace-ups for 43 years. They work well for me, can easily adjust the fit, and I like the appearance. Yup, call me old-school.
Old 02-11-23, 11:12 PM
Camilo

Quoted: 1109 Post(s)
Liked 1,200 Times in 760 Posts
I'm on my second pair of Sidis. I've had a pair of Genius for about 10-12 years or maybe even more. They have two velcro straps and a buckle. They're great shoes and I expect they'll last longer. Based on that I recently bought the latest version of the Dominator to replace some Bontrager RL's I've had for many very satisfactory years, certainly enough usage for me to be 100% satisfied with their function and value. But they haven't matched the uber-exceptional Genius shoes.

Anyway both the Genius and Bontragers had two velcro straps and a buckle at the top. (Diffrent buckles, but functionally the same). I've been happy with this arrangement. It seems I never mess with the velcro straps. They stay the way they are and I just unbuckle the top to slip them on and off.

I kind of like the Boa-type closure though. It does seem to make an all-around adjustment of the whole shoe easier. I've compared the Sidi version to an actual Boa and agree with other who think the actual Boa works better. However, after using the Sidis for a season now, I'll also say it's no big deal. I've figured out cues to get at the lever without too much hunting and have more or less mastered adjusting the tightness while riding without looking down. No big deal at this point, and since the Sidis fit well and wear very well - and I can order them mail order to overcome the dearth of options locally - I'll probably stick with the brand.