Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

PX-10 Information Thread.

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

PX-10 Information Thread.

Old 02-08-23, 08:47 AM
top506
Death fork? Naaaah!!

Bikes: Seriously downsizing.

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 558 Post(s)
Liked 626 Times in 280 Posts
Originally Posted by daka
Several of these photos make a pretty strong argument for fenders......
Yeah, well....1st day of a three day event was wet.

(looking for a picture and not seeing it? Thank the Photobucket fiasco.PM me and I'll link it up.)
Old 02-11-23, 12:15 AM
AdventureManCO 
The Huffmeister

Bikes: '79 Trek 938, '86 Jim Merz Allez SE, '90 Miyata 1000, '68 PX-10, '80 PXN-10, '73 Super Course, '87 Guerciotti, '83 Trek 600, '80 Huffy Le Grande

Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Quoted: 1213 Post(s)
Liked 3,501 Times in 1,394 Posts
Originally Posted by chain_whipped
Original as equipped wheels are definitely neat to see these days, especially with 700c tubulars. The PX10 is a total different bike with their race 'sprint's vs. the 27" clincher.

But I wouldn't necessarily define cheap wheelsets on some who've set their bike up with contemporary and improved metallurgy, spokes, rim design or went with 650b. Those earlier PX10 frames offer versatility.

My guess is most despise tubulars and even more so the galvanized spokes. If in great condition, I much prefer the original look and appreciate their longevity. Watching ebay and rarely are true original and with the original race tubulars. Though it happens and these two from 1972 look very impressive.

The first one here is beautiful original but goofy with the cheap blue clinchers, described as installed by a shop (why, why, why??) though seller shows its original tubular set is included.

The second one is also beautiful, though has a changed out rear derailleur and cables. Great example if seeking original.

Oh, for sure. It's just most of the ones I've seen (mine included) have had their nice tubby wheetsets replaced with huge steel clunkers. Like, sure, you don't like tubulars? No problem. But you gotta grab those things?!

I think I'm going to get the PX-10 down this weekend and take it for a spin.
Old 02-11-23, 07:00 AM
ehcoplex 

Bikes: '38 Schwinn New World, ’69 Peugeot PX-10, '72 Peugeot PX-10, ‘7? Valgan, '78 Raleigh Comp GS, ’79 Holdsworth Pro, ’80 Peugeot TH-8 tandem, '87 Trek 400T, ‘7? Raleigh Sports, ‘7? Raleigh Superbe, ‘6? Hercules

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 760 Post(s)
Liked 1,561 Times in 756 Posts
Originally Posted by AdventureManCO
Oh, for sure. It's just most of the ones I've seen (mine included) have had their nice tubby wheetsets replaced with huge steel clunkers. Like, sure, you don't like tubulars? No problem. But you gotta grab those things?!
I suspect in many cases the swap was done at the time of the original sale, an unwitting 'bike-boom' customer sold on the convenience of clinchers and the tubular set was then put on a higher end bike or sold to someone else. Heck, my PX-10 had even had 'safety' levers added to the brakes (as well as the heavy steel clunker wheels...).
Old 02-11-23, 04:14 PM
AdventureManCO 
The Huffmeister

Bikes: '79 Trek 938, '86 Jim Merz Allez SE, '90 Miyata 1000, '68 PX-10, '80 PXN-10, '73 Super Course, '87 Guerciotti, '83 Trek 600, '80 Huffy Le Grande

I must thank @3alarmer for starting this thread - finding it and reading through it has inspired me to get my PX-10 back on the road. Not that it needed much work, but I rolled it in the house, cleaned it up, waxed it, took the pedals apart and serviced then, then put a seat back on it and took it for a stroll.

Right now it has a decent sunshine/araya wheelset on it. Changes, as you can see, are randoneur handlebars, modern Tektro levers and dual pivot brakes, Shimano 105 derailleur w/ claw (original hanger undisturbed), single chainring, and non-original alloy seatpost. I've been going back and forth on whether to touch up the paint, or just leave it as is. The picture above makes it look better than it is. Good news is the chrome is absolutely perfect. Any dullness is just the clear coat wearing thin or off.

Anyone who has not had a chance to jump on one of these bikes really should try one. The ride is spirited, and the frame is compliant in all the right ways, yet tracks beautifully and is forgiving towards the rider in both road harshness and steering towards the rider. It is probably not as fast as some (like a Cannondale crit bike), but it is fast and quite an enjoyable ride. I commuted on this bike for a stint and it was plenty enough with the single chainring for a variety of terrain and kept up just fine with other modern bikes and riders - I never felt undergunned on it.

My more recent pickup is this one, a 1981 PXN-10, from a different co-op, last December. As you can see, it is a tad smaller than the PX-10(56-57cm), coming in around 54cm. I'm still trying to decide the bike is too small, but I know there is quite a bit of leeway with these things...and a more 'racey' fit tends to be one that is on a smaller bike, versus a 'French' fit, even though it is, paradoxically, on a French bike. I took this one around the block after riding the PX-10 -

I know it may be shooting from the hip, but I'm definitely interested in anyones thoughts on the fit of this bike, as is (above), The seat height is correct, but I could stand to move it back another 5-10mm). I do tend to like handlebars even with the seat, but this one obviously has more of a 'classical' positioning where the hood position is a good 4" or so lower than the seat. After compensating for all that, it may just be a little too obvious that the frame is a tad too small, but goodness its such a beautiful bike. Still, I'll let it go if the fit is wrong...but it will be a bit painful. It is not quite as lovely of a ride, but I really think that has to do with the tires. I'm going to throw the PX-10's wheelset on this one and give it a go and see how it changes.
Likes For AdventureManCO:
Old 02-11-23, 04:44 PM
ehcoplex 

Bikes: '38 Schwinn New World, ’69 Peugeot PX-10, '72 Peugeot PX-10, ‘7? Valgan, '78 Raleigh Comp GS, ’79 Holdsworth Pro, ’80 Peugeot TH-8 tandem, '87 Trek 400T, ‘7? Raleigh Sports, ‘7? Raleigh Superbe, ‘6? Hercules

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 760 Post(s)
Liked 1,561 Times in 756 Posts
Originally Posted by AdventureManCO
I must thank @3alarmer for starting this thread - finding it and reading through it has inspired me to get my PX-10 back on the road. Not that it needed much work, but I rolled it in the house, cleaned it up, waxed it, took the pedals apart and serviced then, then put a seat back on it and took it for a stroll......

My more recent pickup is this one, a 1981 PXN-10......

It is not quite as lovely of a ride, but I really think that has to do with the tires. I'm going to throw the PX-10's wheelset on this one and give it a go and see how it changes.
Curious to know how you'd 'qualify' the differences between the PX-10 and the Super Competition. I love my PX-10, but now and then I see the later Super Comps pop up for sale and think hmmmmmmm........
Old 02-11-23, 05:38 PM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

Bikes: old ones

Mentioned: 304 Post(s)
Quoted: 26381 Post(s)
Liked 10,357 Times in 7,194 Posts
Originally Posted by ehcoplex
Curious to know how you'd 'qualify' the differences between the PX-10 and the Super Competition. I love my PX-10, but now and then I see the later Super Comps pop up for sale and think hmmmmmmm........
...the Super Competition (and Competition) models, with the various letters addended to the PX-10 designation, follow the general trend of most makers' bike frame geometry from the early 70's on through the mid to late 80's. So think: shorter wheelbase, quicker steering (except for a batch of '70's bike that were especially steep at the head tube angles), water bottle bosses appear, while fender and rack eyelets gradually vanish. In a word, they feel "quicker" to me, along with a marked improvement in the Simplex components that were supplied as standard equipment.

It's a gradual transition, that you can follow by looking at old Peugeot catalogs. (lifted links from The Official Vintage Bicycle Manufacturer Catalog List w/Links)

Peugeot 1 (1952) - Peugeot 2 (1974) / (1977) / (1978) / (1979) / (1980) / (1981) / (1982) / (1983) / (1984) / (1985) / (1986) / (1987) / (1988) / (1989) / (1990) - Peugeot 3 (1971) / (1973) / (1974) / (1982/3) - Peugeot 4 (1926, 1929-1930, 1932-1936, 1950-1953, 1955, 1957-1959, 1962-1993)

By 1975, they were already offering the Simplex Super LJ as an option on the PX, but the bikes were still more or less the older geometry until about 1979 with the birth of the Super Comp, and the explosion of various pleasing color schemes that continued through the mid '80's, with the various PY and PZ models. Then the designation seems to disappear, with the advent of model names that are hard to sort through.
Old 02-11-23, 05:40 PM
chain_whipped

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 174 Post(s)
Liked 435 Times in 229 Posts
Any guess what famous US racer started his career on this gifted PX 10 by a motorcycle gang leader? San's front derailleur.

Last edited by chain_whipped; 02-11-23 at 05:43 PM.
Old 02-11-23, 11:18 PM
AdventureManCO 
The Huffmeister

Originally Posted by ehcoplex
Its a little tough, because of the sizing difference between the two frames. I tried swapping the wheels from the PX-10 over onto the PXN-10, but both were too narrow. Surprisinging, the rear was 128mm, and so I just grabbed a modern wheelset that I have setup for 7-speed (was on my Ironman), and it fit beautifully on the PXN-10. Its a really lightweight wheelset (relatively speaking), and took it for a very quick spin. I found that the ride to be a little more cramped than the PX-10 (sizing), and had to move the seat all the way back, as I kept getting a funny feeling in my knee. Moving the seat back helped. As far as the ride between the two of them goes, the suppleness comes through on both (thats db 531 for you), but right now I prefer the ride of my PX-10, mainly due to sizing. I'm going to give the PXN-10 more saddle time, but the fact that the frame is smaller means that I'll never get the handlebars where I usually would like them. It might make a great straight or north road bar bike. It did feel quicker with those newer wheels for sure, but I was mainly doing that for the tires not the wheels.

I would say that if you find one of the later ones in your size, go for it! I'm actually really interested in trying both one of the later internally brazed Peugeots, and also a UO-8 since I keep hearing great things about both.
Likes For AdventureManCO:
Old 04-01-23, 12:40 PM
chain_whipped

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 174 Post(s)
Liked 435 Times in 229 Posts
I notice there's both a metal and plastic Simplex version plunger front derailleur but this video mentions another, Campagnolo Valentino like. Google search under Simplex matchbox comes up with a toy model car from England and ebay showing one on a bike.

Metal plunger type

Plastic plunger type

Simplex matchbox metal type on ebay

Google search Simplex matchbox derailleur

Last edited by chain_whipped; 04-01-23 at 01:12 PM.