Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electric Bikes
Reload this Page >

The SUV of E-bikes

Search
Notices
Electric Bikes Here's a place to discuss ebikes, from home grown to high-tech.

The SUV of E-bikes

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-23, 08:57 AM
Cworthy

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 8 Posts
The SUV of E-bikes

Anyone besides me that is not familiar with the term ESUV? A quick search of this forum revealed...absolutely nothing -- and a Google search for ESUV yields mostly electric automobile results. But if you search for "ESUV bike" then you begin to find some info. The ESUV bikes seem to be an "all-rounder" type of e-bike, suitable for both on-road and off-road use.

I got interested because I ride a Magicycle Fat Tire Cruiser, and I saw an announcement that the same company is coming out with a full suspension (softail) ESUV bike called the Magicycle Deer. From what I can find, the step-thru design of the Deer is a rarity.

I added a suspension post to my Magicycle Cruiser, but I really like the idea of a full suspension ESUV, making the suspension post unnecessary.. Anybody got a full suspension ESUV?
Old 01-16-23, 03:22 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4348 Post(s)
Liked 3,984 Times in 2,661 Posts
An ad. wooooo.
Likes For veganbikes:
Old 01-17-23, 09:22 AM
2old

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 881 Post(s)
Liked 820 Times in 620 Posts
Originally Posted by veganbikes
An ad. wooooo.
The same company tried to use me to say something nice about their product by sending me a bike to "test". How about changing the name of their "Deer" to "Hippopotamus"?
Likes For 2old:
Old 01-17-23, 09:38 AM
fooferdoggie 

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 680 Post(s)
Liked 948 Times in 555 Posts
I love how people buy this fat tire bikes then need suspension seat posts and seats to be able to handle them. I got a kick out of this guy get a full suspension folder direct from china brags about what a great deal it was. but intended a new chainring as the one it came wit was too small and needed a cheap 30.00 suspension seat post because I guess the suspension sucked?
Likes For fooferdoggie:
Old 01-17-23, 10:47 AM
Wildwood 
Veteran, Pacifist

Bikes: Bikes??? Thought this was social media?!?

Mentioned: 284 Post(s)
Quoted: 3898 Post(s)
Liked 4,831 Times in 2,229 Posts
It is a BIG cycling universe.
No need to belittle newbies.

From a slightly different perspective -
I think of an SUV as an oversized way to get around.
XL sized Orbea Gain
The best suspension = arms and legs that get a butt off the saddle, adds no weight to the bike.

Likes For Wildwood:
Old 01-17-23, 11:20 AM
fooferdoggie 

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 680 Post(s)
Liked 948 Times in 555 Posts
not sure why but both my e bikes with a bosch motor can be a harsh ride. my bulls I out a good fox commuter fork on it but even with the best suspension seat post the marathon ties at 70 psi that bike beat me up on city roads that are rough. my trek with 2.3" tires is actually better but if I went to more normal sized tires it would be pretty harsh too. I wonder if it i s because the bikes are heavier or stiffer or both?
Old 01-17-23, 11:33 AM
Cworthy

Originally Posted by fooferdoggie
I love how people buy this fat tire bikes then need suspension seat posts and seats to be able to handle them. I got a kick out of this guy get a full suspension folder direct from china brags about what a great deal it was. but intended a new chainring as the one it came wit was too small and needed a cheap 30.00 suspension seat post because I guess the suspension sucked?
Mmmm...not exactly. I did add a suspension post to my fat tire cruiser, but it has nothing to do with how the bike handles. The bike gives a very stable ride, but like any hardtail, you can definitely feel the bumps. The simple addition of a suspension post gives me a more comfortable ride, not essential, but nice.
Likes For Cworthy:
Old 01-17-23, 11:45 AM
cat0020
Ride more, eat less

Bikes: Too many but never enough.

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 713 Post(s)
Liked 735 Times in 452 Posts
Originally Posted by Wildwood
It is a BIG cycling universe.
No need to belittle newbies.
100%
If you have experience with specific ebike, share it here;
no need to pretend like you know everyone's cycling needs for the ebike that they choose or ride.

I commute in NYC metro, 8-12 miles daily during the weekdays.
I've been very happy with my Fiido T1, original & replacement model.
Even though there is a recall on teh original T1, I still operate mine.
In the process of making a reinforcement frame bracket to strengthen the frame weak spot.
Honestly, for $1499 that I spent for the original T1 model, I get two ebikes that are still operating fine for my purpose.
T1 has plenty of motor power output for my commute, sustained 22-25 mph in traffic is easily obtained, PAS allow even higher speed operation.
I don't take the T1 off pavement often, but with its fat tires it rides just fine on hardpack trails, lower the tire pressure and it's well capable of more aggressive trail riding at lower speeds.
I like the T1's rugged design, I don't feel a suspension seatpost is necessary for my riding; 15 psi in the tires serves well for the potholes & rough pavement in NYC.
The larger size of T1 deters the thieves is I leave it unattended for a few minutes without lock, just remove the seatpost or battery and no one seems to be interested in it.

Last edited by cat0020; 01-17-23 at 02:45 PM.
Old 01-17-23, 11:46 AM
Cworthy

Some people are maybe a bit paranoid? I wish my cruiser was a gift, but nope, I paid for it and I like it a lot. It looks good, rides good, and gets me where I want to go. The things I have added are for my own preferences and not because of some fault with the bike.
Likes For Cworthy:
Old 01-17-23, 11:51 AM
Cworthy

I'd say you got a bargain! And thanks for the reminder...I need to get in the habit removing my seatpost.
Old 01-17-23, 12:36 PM
Wildwood 
Veteran, Pacifist

Bikes: Bikes??? Thought this was social media?!?

Mentioned: 284 Post(s)
Quoted: 3898 Post(s)
Liked 4,831 Times in 2,229 Posts
@Cworthy - Nice pic, looks like a tropical island. PR?

- from an old C Dog.
Old 01-17-23, 02:59 PM
Cworthy

@Wildwood -- Yeah it kinda does, doesn't it? I'm in the right mood for that question because I just got back from Jamaica. But...I'm afraid the photo is taken in the beautiful hill country of South Texas.
Old 01-17-23, 05:09 PM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5224 Post(s)
Liked 3,581 Times in 2,342 Posts
Originally Posted by Cworthy
Some people are maybe a bit paranoid? I wish my cruiser was a gift, but nope, I paid for it and I like it a lot. It looks good, rides good, and gets me where I want to go. The things I have added are for my own preferences and not because of some fault with the bike.
very nice! very jealous!
Old 01-17-23, 05:21 PM
LesterOfPuppets
cowboy, steel horse, etc

Bikes: everywhere

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12762 Post(s)
Liked 7,675 Times in 4,072 Posts
Originally Posted by Cworthy
Anyone besides me that is not familiar with the term ESUV? A quick search of this forum revealed...absolutely nothing -- and a Google search for ESUV yields mostly electric automobile results. But if you search for "ESUV bike" then you begin to find some info. The ESUV bikes seem to be an "all-rounder" type of e-bike, suitable for both on-road and off-road use.

I got interested because I ride a Magicycle Fat Tire Cruiser, and I saw an announcement that the same company is coming out with a full suspension (softail) ESUV bike called the Magicycle Deer. From what I can find, the step-thru design of the Deer is a rarity.

I added a suspension post to my Magicycle Cruiser, but I really like the idea of a full suspension ESUV, making the suspension post unnecessary.. Anybody got a full suspension ESUV?
I don't think ESUV is gonna catch on as a ebike descriptor. What are those, 3" tires? I'd just call it an ePlusbike
Likes For LesterOfPuppets:
Old 01-18-23, 09:13 AM
2old

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 881 Post(s)
Liked 820 Times in 620 Posts
Sorry I misinterpreted your post. The previous one lauding Magicycle had been taken down because it was from a shill, and since they contacted me to "represent" them (in another forum ), this seemed like one too. You enjoy the bike and that's what it's all about.
Likes For 2old: