Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Cross chaining

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-23, 10:41 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts
Originally Posted by LarrySellerz
Kicking the derailleur to move it over is not that weird or uncommon, and it won't bend if you're careful to hit it dead on. .
I know I do all of my precision striking with my feet.

Are you a Rockette?
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 02-03-23, 10:54 AM
smd4

Bikes: 1989 Cinelli Supercorsa

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 3498 Post(s)
Liked 2,911 Times in 1,766 Posts
Kicking the derailleur to move it over is not that weird or uncommon, and it won't bend if you're careful to hit it dead on. Whats new to me is doing this to a bike where I care about the state of the drivechain. Normally when Ive had to do this its when dealing with bikes that have been abandoned.

I'm not just holding the bike down kicking it a bunch lols. IDK where to add lube to the derailleur, and have pretty much given up on fixing it and just want to ride the bike as is in the least damaging way.
I agree that you should give up. I don't think bikes are your thing. Maybe something less complicated.
Old 02-03-23, 11:33 AM
LarrySellerz

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 2698 Post(s)
Liked 486 Times in 351 Posts
Originally Posted by smd4
I agree that you should give up. I don't think bikes are your thing. Maybe something less complicated.
"my bike is broken I can't get out of the big ring" is a kind of like a weird flex and a power play TBH, not a call to give up biking.
Old 02-03-23, 11:48 AM
blacknbluebikes 

Bikes: two blacks, a blue and a white.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 444 Post(s)
Liked 844 Times in 408 Posts
You're traveling through another dimension, a dimension not only of sight and sound but of mind.A journey into a wondrous land whose boundaries are that of imagination. That's the signpost up ahead - your next stop...
Likes For blacknbluebikes:
Old 02-03-23, 11:58 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Originally Posted by blacknbluebikes
You're traveling through another dimension, a dimension not only of sight and sound but of mind.A journey into a wondrous land whose boundaries are that of imagination. That's the signpost up ahead - your next stop...

anywhere but a bike mechanic.

I'm going to go out on a limb and suggest that kicking a bike and/or riding it around crass-chained will not do anything good to the drive train. That was the burning question, right?
Old 02-03-23, 12:04 PM
jaxgtr

Bikes: Trek Domane SLR 7 AXS, Trek CheckPoint SL7 AXS, Trek Emonda ALR AXS, Trek FX 5 Sport

Quoted: 761 Post(s)
Liked 1,724 Times in 1,005 Posts
The Park Tool DKB 1.1

If your shifter or derailleur does not work, you need the new Park Tools Derailleur Kicking Boot.

Last edited by jaxgtr; 02-03-23 at 12:23 PM.
Old 02-03-23, 12:07 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Originally Posted by jaxgtr
This Park Tool DKB 1.1

If your shifter or derailleur does not work, you need the new Park Tools Derailleur Kicking Boot.

Torque calibrated.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 02-03-23, 12:45 PM
smd4

"my bike is broken I can't get out of the big ring" is a kind of like a weird flex and a power play TBH, not a call to give up biking.
You're the one who suggested you give up. I was just agreeing with you.
Likes For smd4:
Old 02-03-23, 02:18 PM
SurferRosa
señor miembro

Bikes: '70s - '80s Campagnolo

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 3870 Post(s)
Liked 6,461 Times in 3,194 Posts
"When you hide knowledge, you do so at a possible cost of annoying those who think you must already have the answers. But could it also make you feel better? You could decide that the cost of retaliation is worth it by allowing you to feel more in control of what you perceive as a stressful situation."

Psychology Today: The Hidden Benefits of Playing Dumb
Likes For SurferRosa:
Old 02-04-23, 12:49 PM
Pratt

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 414 Post(s)
Liked 498 Times in 295 Posts
Here, in Vermont, my derailleurs, and everything else on the bikes, go into hibernation for several months every year.
They work fine when they wake up in the spring.
Old 02-04-23, 03:08 PM
fredlord

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 144 Post(s)
Liked 119 Times in 70 Posts
Is there a difference between a "science and engineering technician" and a science and engineering technician?
Likes For fredlord:
Old 02-04-23, 03:17 PM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 3943 Post(s)
Liked 7,286 Times in 2,942 Posts
Kicking the derailleur to move it over is not that weird or uncommon...
Originally Posted by jaxgtr
In what universe?
There is no present physics theory that includes parallel universes where kicking a front derailleur is normal.
Likes For tomato coupe:
Old 02-04-23, 03:19 PM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Quoted: 3943 Post(s)
Liked 7,286 Times in 2,942 Posts
Originally Posted by fredlord
Is there a difference between a "science and engineering technician" and a science and engineering technician?
I think putting it in quotes is like a "domestic engineer."
Old 02-04-23, 03:39 PM
LarrySellerz

No its my real job title.. it was in quotes because I think it oversells my mechanical abilities. Then again the lab is in silicon valley and nobody who goes to trade school can afford to live by it anymore so there is a lack of young talent, but thats the story across America.
Old 02-05-23, 06:44 AM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7649 Post(s)
Liked 3,465 Times in 1,831 Posts
.. it was in quotes because I think it oversells my mechanical abilities..
ya think ......

Yeah, if you cannot manage basic bike maintenance ......

Here is where I am with this "LarrySellerz" phenomenon: He is a really creative comic troll, playing a part for amusement and attention. I am not sure about my memory, but isn't he the shirtless single-speed rider with a broken neck who keeps up with fast pelotons and who dumpster-dives? He apparently lives with his dad and gets good deals at the bike shop because his dad buys big bikes there .... but he also cannot go to the bike shop? he is a mechanical engineer who designs and builds machinery who cannot repair or even maintain the simplest machinery?

Am I getting all this right? I am too lazy to go through all his posts to write his resume for him.

It just seems that al this is too good to be true .... so he must be having a bit of fun with us.

If so ... well played sir. Quite well played.

Otherwise ..... Everything you want to know is on the internet. Everything about cross-chaining, about bike maintenance, about troubleshooting specific systems. If you are really a scientist or an engineer, or even a high-school graduate, you know how to do basic research. You know how to watch YouTube videos, and if you watch enough and practice enough, you will know how to do bike maintenance and repair----it is only slightly more complex than closing velcro sneakers and less complicated than actually tying your shoes.

I have faith in you, Mr. LarrySellerz .....

Say ... why don't you do a couple more dumpster-dives and get a couple more beat bikes and swap a working derailleur from one of them.

I spent a couple years riding dumpster bikes before moving up to yard-sale bikes maintained with dumpster parts before being able to afford to buy new bikes. I know what I am talking about here. Grab up three or four trash bikes and you are certain to get at least one with a working front derailleur. You might need to do some fudging with the mounting clamp .... but you are an engineering technician. You can do it. I am just an idiot, and I have modified dozens of parts with hand tools and ingenuity (and luck and persistence.)

You Can Do It.

Ah, Mr. LarrySellerz .... you are an enigma. I am glad you post here.
Likes For Maelochs:
Old 02-05-23, 07:49 AM
delbiker1 
Mother Nature's Son

Bikes: 2014 Orbea Avant MD30, 2004 Airborne Zeppelin TI, 2003 Lemond Poprad, 2001 Lemond Tourmalet, 2014? Soma Smoothie

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 852 Post(s)
Liked 1,433 Times in 815 Posts
I find Larry's posts quite entertaining. We have all done things on, and with bikes, that others do not understand, and quite likely, neither do the individuals doing it. I make so many mistakes, especially with mechanics, that I know better than to criticize others, but that does not always stop me from doing just that. It is kind of human nature to forget, or ignore, one's past errors, then ego build by knocking another person with the same type of struggles. I, often, need reminders of this.
Old 02-05-23, 10:13 AM
smd4

Originally Posted by Maelochs
Am I getting all this right? I am too lazy to go through all his posts to write his resume for him.
I believe it was Beng1 who did the dumpster diving for vodka. And while Larry allegedly works in a lab, he is neither a scientist nor an engineer.
Likes For smd4:
Old 02-06-23, 07:06 AM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7649 Post(s)
Liked 3,465 Times in 1,831 Posts
Originally Posted by delbiker1
I find Larry's posts quite entertaining. We have all done things on, and with bikes, that others do not understand, and quite likely, neither do the individuals doing it. I make so many mistakes, especially with mechanics, that I know better than to criticize others, but that does not always stop me from doing just that. It is kind of human nature to forget, or ignore, one's past errors, then ego build by knocking another person with the same type of struggles. I, often, need reminders of this.
Thanks for this.

Yes, Mr. LarrySellerz, I do sometimes poke fun at you because sometimes you come in loudly and sometimes seem sort of lost ....

Even though I do use a semi-mocking tone, I am serious about this: You Can learn to do basic bike mechanics.

I am more thumb-fingered than anyone else I have ever met ... but I did what I recommend you do: I learned (by books, there were no videos back then) and Constant failure and reputations, I learned to be able to do almost every part of bike building and maintenance. You can do the same ... or as much as you want to.
Likes For Maelochs:
Old 02-06-23, 07:27 AM
delbiker1 
Mother Nature's Son

Bikes: 2014 Orbea Avant MD30, 2004 Airborne Zeppelin TI, 2003 Lemond Poprad, 2001 Lemond Tourmalet, 2014? Soma Smoothie

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 852 Post(s)
Liked 1,433 Times in 815 Posts
Originally Posted by Maelochs
Thanks for this.

Yes, Mr. LarrySellerz, I do sometimes poke fun at you because sometimes you come in loudly and sometimes seem sort of lost ....

Even though I do use a semi-mocking tone, I am serious about this: You Can learn to do basic bike mechanics.

I am more thumb-fingered than anyone else I have ever met ... but I did what I recommend you do: I learned (by books, there were no videos back then) and Constant failure and reputations, I learned to be able to do almost every part of bike building and maintenance. You can do the same ... or as much as you want to.
And thanks to you, Maelochs. Your comment regarding mechanics are spot on for me. In 2017, I decided I needed to challenge myself, doing it with bicycles just made a whole lot of sense. I have, and still do, struggle with a good bit in that department. There is so much knowledge and help that is easily available, at little or no cost. Park Tool videos, youtube, the members of this forum, and The Paceline forum, my LBS, have all been a huge help in the process. Of course, not all videos are created equal. Six years after committing to learn this stuff, and acquiring the needed tools, I have totally stripped a few bikes down to bare metal, then totally rebuilt them. I still make a lot of mistakes, but I can now troubleshoot and correct those errors.

Keep plugging along Larry.
Likes For delbiker1:
Old 02-06-23, 10:44 AM
Steel Charlie

Quoted: 372 Post(s)
Liked 530 Times in 280 Posts
This is all just a joke, right? I mean, seriously ....
I do really like the boot idea though but the color is a bit off.
Likes For Steel Charlie:
Old 02-06-23, 11:07 AM
jaxgtr

Bikes: Trek Domane SLR 7 AXS, Trek CheckPoint SL7 AXS, Trek Emonda ALR AXS, Trek FX 5 Sport

Quoted: 761 Post(s)
Liked 1,724 Times in 1,005 Posts
Originally Posted by Steel Charlie
Yea I did not bring in the official Park Tool blue into my pallet when filling in, -1 for lack of effort, but I have a boot to pick my colors, it missed slightly.

Likes For jaxgtr:
Old 02-06-23, 11:03 PM
LarrySellerz

I decided the cross chained bike is too broken for general use, will be retired. Maybe if I get fit it can be a climbing bike. This is my new set of wheels, just refurbished. Was gonna hold off until the spring to bring it out but hopefully the rain is over. Pretty stoked, gonna debut it on the 6:25 am group ride tomorrow

Last edited by LarrySellerz; 02-06-23 at 11:26 PM.
Old 02-06-23, 11:39 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4335 Post(s)
Liked 3,958 Times in 2,646 Posts
Originally Posted by Steel Charlie
It could work for Unior maybe?

I prefer more precision tools when kicking my derailleurs so I go for the Abbey DAB (Derailleur Alignment Boot)
Though I was a bit too cheap to spring for the Team Issue titanium version.
Likes For veganbikes: