Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Carbon seatpost catastrophe

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Carbon seatpost catastrophe

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-23, 10:23 AM
CAT7RDR

Bikes: 1999 Schwinn Peloton Ultegra 10, Kestrel RT-1000 Ultegra, Trek Marlin 6 Deore 29'er

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 822 Post(s)
Liked 1,955 Times in 941 Posts
I'm still stuck and cannot wrap my warped mind to accept a Bontrager (Trek) seat post mating with a Specialized frame?
Old 02-08-23, 10:59 AM
prj71

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 2975 Post(s)
Liked 1,180 Times in 770 Posts
Originally Posted by CAT7RDR
I'm still stuck and cannot wrap my warped mind to accept a Bontrager (Trek) seat post mating with a Specialized frame?
Looking at the picture he posted it's a counterfeit Bontrager post anyway. 1.) It's Larry and 2.) Not surprising that it broke.
Likes For prj71:
Old 02-08-23, 11:53 AM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3657 Post(s)
Liked 5,394 Times in 2,739 Posts
Broken dumpster post for 6 pages (and counting) of attention? Fair trade off in Larry Land.
Old 02-08-23, 01:27 PM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 3943 Post(s)
Liked 7,286 Times in 2,942 Posts
Originally Posted by CAT7RDR
I put a Specialized Toupe on a Madone once. The thing burst into flames that night and almost burned the garage to the ground.
Likes For tomato coupe:
Old 02-08-23, 01:31 PM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Quoted: 4930 Post(s)
Liked 8,062 Times in 3,811 Posts
Originally Posted by tomato coupe
I put a Specialized Toupe on a Madone once. The thing burst into flames that night and almost burned the garage to the ground.
Oh, ****! I have a Toupe on my Trek MTB
Old 02-08-23, 02:37 PM
LarrySellerz

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 2698 Post(s)
Liked 486 Times in 351 Posts
Does the seatpost not mate with the specialized frame? I just assumed it was a perfect fit and these are standard widths. For all my talk about tightening seatpost bolts often, Im pretty sure I never actually adjusted this post in this frame so I don’t know if there was any trouble getting it to fit.

if that’s the case it seems like it’s almost certainly the cause of failure
Old 02-08-23, 03:14 PM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Originally Posted by LarrySellerz
Does the seatpost not mate with the specialized frame? I just assumed it was a perfect fit and these are standard widths. For all my talk about tightening seatpost bolts often, Im pretty sure I never actually adjusted this post in this frame so I don’t know if there was any trouble getting it to fit.

The Trek vs. Specialized thing is fictional for the purposes of comedy. Pretty much Ford vs. Chevy.

The cause of this failure was a poor choice of product for the needs of the user, and misuse. A big, strong dude like you should not be exceeding the limits of lightweight parts. Additional over-stress from earlier crashes may have also been a contributor.
Old 02-08-23, 03:15 PM
Atlas Shrugged

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1247 Post(s)
Liked 1,322 Times in 674 Posts

Larry as one of your biggest champions and one who considers your posts a highly refined version of performance art, your continuing to feed this thread is making you look thirsty on this one
Old 02-08-23, 09:26 PM
SoSmellyAir
Method to My Madness

Bikes: Trek FX 2, Cannondale Synapse, Cannondale CAAD4, Santa Cruz Stigmata GRX

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1939 Post(s)
Liked 1,463 Times in 1,012 Posts
Almost missed another gem from LarrySellerz (and with photos!) until this post from Mojo31: Bike Forums - View Single Post - The Pro’s Closet feedback.

I see that LarrySellerz now has a wider audience; or has he been banned from Road Cycling - Bike Forums?
Old 02-08-23, 09:28 PM
retswerb
Along for the ride

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked 212 Times in 107 Posts
Originally Posted by Atlas Shrugged
Larry as one of your biggest champions and one who considers your posts a highly refined version of performance art, your continuing to feed this thread is making you look thirsty on this one
Nah that's a perfect reentry point to get the hive buzzing again. Larry, I haven't figured out if you're a troll or not, but either way never change.
Likes For retswerb:
Old 02-08-23, 09:36 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4335 Post(s)
Liked 3,958 Times in 2,646 Posts

Oh lord, it just flew over your head.

So long as the post is the correct size you can use it on any frame. People were making jokes about it being a different post from a competing manufacturer it was funny but I guess was not gotten by all.

It is OK to admit you adjusted a seatpost in a frame it is generally not a bad thing except when over the minimum insertion line but I am hoping now we have solved that issue and you have learned. We all make mistakes sometimes but we only grow and mature when we admit we have made those mistakes.
Old 02-09-23, 01:22 AM
LarrySellerz

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 2698 Post(s)
Liked 486 Times in 351 Posts
Originally Posted by veganbikes
Oh lord, it just flew over your head.

So long as the post is the correct size you can use it on any frame. People were making jokes about it being a different post from a competing manufacturer it was funny but I guess was not gotten by all.

It is OK to admit you adjusted a seatpost in a frame it is generally not a bad thing except when over the minimum insertion line but I am hoping now we have solved that issue and you have learned. We all make mistakes sometimes but we only grow and mature when we admit we have made those mistakes.
I wonder if there is a way I can phrase this comment in a way that will convince you that I didn't make the final adjustment of that seat post. It's not like im trying to deflect blame, I almost certainly broke the seatpost when using it on another bike, and I did change it then. The current setup was done by a trained mechanic, who warned me that it was dangerous but I pushed and made him give me what I wanted.

IDK why but it bugs me that you insist that I am lying about this specific thing. Like, your premise and conclusion are correct. This was brought on by my own doing from abuse of parts and flagrant disregard for manufacturer specifications on multiple levels, and this broken seatpost is a textbook example of what can go wrong. You can take everything I say at face value and draw these conclusions, but no, im lying.

Last edited by LarrySellerz; 02-09-23 at 01:40 AM.
Old 02-09-23, 05:18 AM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7649 Post(s)
Liked 3,465 Times in 1,831 Posts
. The current setup was done by a trained mechanic, who warned me that it was dangerous but I pushed and made him give me what I wanted. .
Yup .... you are responsible, which is why people are saying you are responsible.

Some of your statements are not consistent .... maybe a little distorted, exaggerated, maybe a little fictionalized, maybe just really poorly worded .... that creates confusion about whether you are changing the story as you go.

Whatever .... just keep riding, and don't hurt yourself.

And stop tearing up nice bikes. I mean, they are yours, and you can abuse them as much as you like, but it is painful to see, and not good for your karma.
Likes For Maelochs:
Old 02-09-23, 11:57 AM
rydabent
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,056 Times in 635 Posts
Again why such a small frame, and such a long seat post**********
Old 02-09-23, 12:25 PM
Mojo31
-------

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 9652 Post(s)
Liked 6,363 Times in 3,503 Posts
Today on the way home from work I felt something give in my saddle. I stopped to investigate, thinking it was coming loose, and to my horror I found that the seatpost was cracked and barely holding on! I still had 4 miles to go, and when I got home it was hanging on by a thread. It barely took any force to break it off (I got a video of myself kicking it off and it goes flying.)

it must have been a bit too high. it was previously installed way too high on another bike and could have been damaged then, or it could have been damaged in a crash I had last Friday. Hard to say. I don’t have the metric Allen to pull it out and see how much is left in the frame.

a bike store told me previously that putting a long lever like I had could crack the aluminum frame. Would you be worried about the frame, or is it probably okay if it looks undamaged?

A bike shop told me a horror story of someone getting seriously injured by a broken seatpost. Do any of you have any horror stories?

No need for others' stories. The Larry Sellerz Chronicals provide plenty of entertainment.
Old 02-09-23, 12:29 PM
Germany_chris
I’m a little Surly

Bikes: Two Cross Checks, a Karate Monkey, a Disc Trucker, and a VO Randonneur

Quoted: 699 Post(s)
Liked 1,294 Times in 647 Posts
Thanks for the heads up I'm going to pull my Specialized saddle so I don't burn the house down.

I glad I rely on BF to let me know whats dangerous!!
Old 02-09-23, 12:31 PM
Germany_chris
I’m a little Surly

Bikes: Two Cross Checks, a Karate Monkey, a Disc Trucker, and a VO Randonneur

Quoted: 699 Post(s)
Liked 1,294 Times in 647 Posts
Originally Posted by rydabent
Because compact frames a thing, kinda like normal bikes that cost more than 5k
Old 02-09-23, 12:39 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10947 Post(s)
Liked 7,474 Times in 4,181 Posts
Originally Posted by prj71
Looking at the picture he posted it's a counterfeit Bontrager post anyway. 1.) It's Larry and 2.) Not surprising that it broke.
What makes it an obviously counterfeit seatpost?
Old 02-09-23, 01:51 PM
Reflector Guy

Bikes: Bianchi Infinito XE, Via Nirone 7, GT Aggressor Pro

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 599 Post(s)
Liked 1,271 Times in 588 Posts
All the better to show off his kit.
Old 02-09-23, 02:04 PM
tomato coupe

Longer seat posts make it easier to look at the ground when you ride, which is where you find lots of dimes, quarters, etc. that eventually allow you to spend $15k on a bike.
Likes For tomato coupe:
Old 02-09-23, 02:51 PM
rydabent
Banned

Longer seat posts make it easier to look at the ground when you ride, which is where you find lots of dimes, quarters, etc. that eventually allow you to spend $15k on a bike.
But but you tell me that DF riders NEVER stare down at their front wheel or the ground right in front of them!!!! I guess you are admitting that they do ride all hunched over trying to be as aero as another type of bike im not supposed to mention here. Right???
Old 02-09-23, 02:53 PM
tomato coupe

But but you tell me that DF riders NEVER stare down at their front wheel or the ground right in front of them!!!! I guess you are admitting that they do ride all hunched over trying to be as aero as another type of bike im not supposed to mention here. Right???
Yeah, we all lie about it, because we don't want others to know how much money we find while riding.
Likes For tomato coupe:
Old 02-09-23, 03:01 PM
rydabent
Banned

Likes For rydabent:
Old 02-09-23, 03:12 PM
badger1

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1580 Post(s)
Liked 1,187 Times in 604 Posts
Old 02-09-23, 03:14 PM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Yeah, we all lie about it, because we don't want others to know how much money we find while riding.
Damnit, TC! You had better not tell him about the neck exercises we all have to do.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.