Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Can a valve be too long?

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Can a valve be too long?

Old 08-23-20, 01:25 AM
wilson_smyth

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 20 Posts
Can a valve be too long?

I'm not sure, but I think my bike takes tubes with 40mm valves.

When I got. It, the store had no such tubes so just to not be left stranded in the middle of a cycle I got tubes with 60mm valves.

Aside from. Looking a bit silly, is there any real reason to go get tubes with a 40mm valve?
Old 08-23-20, 02:08 AM
GlennR
On Your Left

Bikes: Trek Emonda SLR, Sram eTap, Zipp 303

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 3004 Post(s)
Liked 2,433 Times in 1,187 Posts
Too long is better than too short.
Old 08-23-20, 02:21 AM
dabac

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 1074 Post(s)
Liked 295 Times in 222 Posts
Functionally, valves can be too short. But I’m truly struggling to see how they could be too long. Perhaps on a disc wheel?
Aestethically, they CAN be too long.
In any group ride of more than 3 people, at least one will be thinking about criticizing you for your lack of dedication to the sport.
Old 08-23-20, 02:51 AM
wilson_smyth

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 20 Posts
Originally Posted by dabac
Functionally, valves can be too short. But I’m truly struggling to see how they could be too long. Perhaps on a disc wheel?
In any group ride of more than 3 people, at least one will be thinking about criticizing you for your lack of dedication to the sport.
Thanks all.
Not worried about the aesthetics, more concerned thwt I hadn't considered some functional reason that would make tubes with too long valves for my wheels to be problematic.
Old 08-23-20, 02:57 AM
Clyde1820

Bikes: 1996 Trek 970 ZX Single Track 2x11

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 610 Post(s)
Liked 558 Times in 423 Posts
I've got 60mm Presta, on a 26in '90s MTB that I have. They certainly look long, and they probably are too long for practicality, but I don't think they look too bad. Next tubes, I'll likely go with the 40mm variants, though for me 60mm's fine if the 40's are out.
Old 08-23-20, 04:04 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,094 Times in 5,053 Posts
I buy whichever is cheaper that day. If people are checking out the length of your valve stems, at least try to get them to buy you a drink.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 08-23-20, 05:33 AM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3638 Post(s)
Liked 5,316 Times in 2,701 Posts
I've been on more than one ride where someone flatted and had a spare tube with a too short valve. I don't know how this could happen but it does. Carry the long valve as your spare and someday you may save the day for the clueless.
Likes For shelbyfv:
Old 08-23-20, 05:52 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,094 Times in 5,053 Posts
Originally Posted by shelbyfv
I've been on more than one ride where someone flatted and had a spare tube with a too short valve. I don't know how this could happen but it does. Carry the long valve as your spare and someday you may save the day for the clueless.

Oh,, yeah. I'm indifferent between 40 and 60, but anything less than 40 is a total pita on the side of the road.
Old 08-23-20, 06:31 AM
Moe Zhoost
Half way there

Bikes: Many, and the list changes frequently

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 985 Post(s)
Liked 879 Times in 526 Posts
I'm biased toward short valve stems because long ones look (IMO) super dorky on my vintage bikes. It's becoming very hard to find short stem tubes these days, and I understand it: Why wouldn't a shop just stock the long ones for a universal fit. Functionally, there is no difference plus no one will notice when you're moving. I'll rebel when it gets to the point of the valve stem rubbing on my hub.
Old 08-23-20, 07:15 AM
Retro Grouch 

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 642 Times in 363 Posts
Originally Posted by dabac
They can be too long. At some point it gets more difficult to thread your pump chuck onto and especially off of a too long valve.
Old 08-23-20, 07:36 AM
63rickert

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 1090 Post(s)
Liked 329 Times in 245 Posts
Yes they can be too long. Most of us are not threading on a pump hose. We push on a pump head. Longer stems have leverage. I’ve not personally snapped off a valve stem but have seen it happen. When using a pump with no hose, pump head rigidly connected to pump body it can be quite clumsy with a longer valve.

A few better quality rims are balanced. The weight of the rim joint is balanced against the weight of the valve. With variable weight and length valves this nice touch becomes impossible.
Old 08-23-20, 07:39 AM
rosefarts
With a mighty wind

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1073 Post(s)
Liked 841 Times in 475 Posts
Originally Posted by Retro Grouch
They can be too long. At some point it gets more difficult to thread your pump chuck onto and especially off of a too long valve.
Those 20mm difference won't cause this unless the wheels aren't aligned with parallel spokes at the valve.

I'm guilty of this. I replaced a rim with something close, not exact. Didn't get any new spokes. Once built, the spokes were a touch too long. So I quickly turned it into a twisted spoke build without taking it all apart and trying to figure out how it all lines up. This wheel has a pretty tight valve clearance and has a twist just above the valve.

On 700c, still no big deal but if this were a bmx wheel or something, I might need a crack pipe to inflate it.
Old 08-23-20, 07:53 AM
AlmostTrick
Tortoise Wins by a Hare!

Bikes: Wabi Special FG, Raleigh Roper, Nashbar AL-1, Miyata One Hundred, '70 Schwinn Lemonator and More!!

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1549 Post(s)
Liked 941 Times in 504 Posts
Yes. The longer valves will add extra weight and wind resistance while spinning. They'll slow you down.
Old 08-23-20, 08:21 AM
one4smoke

Bikes: 2020 Specialized Roubaix Comp SC - 2016 Specialized Roubaix SL4 - 2015 Giant Roam 2 Disc

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 639 Post(s)
Liked 338 Times in 224 Posts
I would think with an unnecessarily longer stem there's a higher risk of damaging it...
Old 08-23-20, 09:29 AM
GlennR
On Your Left

Bikes: Trek Emonda SLR, Sram eTap, Zipp 303

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 3004 Post(s)
Liked 2,433 Times in 1,187 Posts
Originally Posted by AlmostTrick
Yes. The longer valves will add extra weight and wind resistance while spinning. They'll slow you down.
What about throwing off the wheels balance?
Old 08-23-20, 09:55 AM
Retro Grouch 

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 642 Times in 363 Posts
Originally Posted by GlennR
What about throwing off the wheels balance?
Clamp any bike into a work stand and watch where the front valve stem comes to rest. In most cases it's at the top. Adding a little additional weight at the valve stem actually helps wheel balance.
Old 08-23-20, 10:58 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,354 Times in 861 Posts
Pinned joint rims will have the added weight of the seam bridging pins..

now that you can write and post here you can find a couple innertubes with the proper stem length

Schwinn ( then Pacific cycles Brand) had an anomaly of aerodynamic looking rims needing long Schrader stems...
long Presta stems are more common, my Local usually has 700c PV tubes in a variety of lengths.. in normal times ..

Last edited by fietsbob; 08-23-20 at 11:06 AM.
Old 08-23-20, 12:25 PM
wipekitty
vespertine member

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 687 Post(s)
Liked 220 Times in 163 Posts
Originally Posted by shelbyfv
It's what happens when you're cheap and disorganized: cheap enough to stock up on the cheap tubes, because they'll work fine for the cheap bikes, but disorganized enough to end up with the wrong bike/tube combo. You can be cheap or disorganized, but not both.

This happened on a November commute several hours after sunset. The CO2 came through; no way was I getting a pump on that one!

Likes For wipekitty:
Old 08-23-20, 10:51 PM
ShannonM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 405 Post(s)
Liked 430 Times in 286 Posts
I've snapped the valve stem of a long-stemmed tube with a frame pump. Granted, it was a box-section rim, and I was using an HpX-4, so that's probably the worst case for excessive leverage, but I have done it.

Ass long as you're a bit gentle with it, you should be fine.

--Shannon