Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

The importance of stretching 🙆‍♀️

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

The importance of stretching 🙆‍♀️

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-23, 11:15 AM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2581 Post(s)
Liked 5,637 Times in 2,921 Posts
Originally Posted by livedarklions
Think you might have a weird browser setting. I can see the linked video.
Will try a different browser. Thanks.

Old 02-06-23, 11:17 AM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 4944 Post(s)
Liked 8,085 Times in 3,825 Posts
Originally Posted by rsbob
Will try a different browser. Thanks.
Alternately, do a search on YouTube for "Dylan Johnson Stretching".
Old 02-06-23, 11:21 AM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8279 Post(s)
Liked 9,033 Times in 4,471 Posts
Originally Posted by Eric F
Hmmm...I can see my linked YouTube video just fine.
Me too.
Likes For big john:
Old 02-06-23, 12:03 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

It was Safari. Switched to You (a newer AI browser), and no problemo.

Really like the Dylan videos backed by science. Watch them semi-regularly but didn ‘t catch that one.

So what is one supposed to do after a hard effort with super stiff muscles - have a massage, soak in a hot tub?

Old 02-06-23, 12:20 PM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

It was Safari. Switched to You (a newer AI browser), and no problemo.

Really like the Dylan videos backed by science. Watch them semi-regularly but didn ‘t catch that one.

So what is one supposed to do after a hard effort with super stiff muscles - have a massage, soak in a hot tub?
I like Dylan's stuff, too.

There may not be any measurable performance gains, but my muscles tend to like some stretching after a hard effort (usually a few hours later). Massage has also been helpful for me. I can only talk about my experiences with my own body, however.
Old 02-06-23, 03:50 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts
I hear you about age and stretching. Unfortunately when we were younger, the common method of stretching - which I did as well, up to last week - was static. After my muscle pull, I will now switch to dynamic since time off the bike is a drag. Thanks for your comment
I was never stretchy, quite the opposite. I was always being told that the more I stretched, the more I'd overcome this lack of flexibility. It never worked, but it was a good way to make everything hurt more. I can go into a decent tuck if I need to, that's all I care about.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 02-06-23, 03:52 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Originally Posted by Eric F
I can only talk about my experiences with my own body, however.
True of us all. It would be fun to come up with a conspiracy theory about liars promoting stretching, though, but that's my inner troll talking.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 02-06-23, 04:00 PM
Calsun
Banned

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 608 Post(s)
Liked 382 Times in 288 Posts
I have learned to start out at a slow pace for the first 15-20 minutes of a ride to warm up my muscles and connective tissues. It also helps with my overall aerobics and I am far less likely to "blow out" on steep grades. It is just the way my body works best.
Likes For Calsun:
Old 02-06-23, 04:17 PM
staehpj1

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1251 Post(s)
Liked 754 Times in 560 Posts
I do not do stretches before and after riding. If the ride is intense I do believe in warming up and cooling dowm. I also find that there are a couple stretches I need to do once per day to maintain my lower back. Nothing much, 30-90 seconds per day avoids lots of pain for me.
Old 02-06-23, 04:31 PM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,286 Posts
A lot of people confuse stretching and warm up and think that it is the same thing, when it is not. Those are two different things. Stretching is not a warm up...The best way to warm up is to start doing the actual movements or activity which you plan on doing. In the case of cycling, the best way to warm up is to get on your bike and start riding.
Likes For wolfchild:
Old 02-06-23, 05:20 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

I was never stretchy, quite the opposite. I was always being told that the more I stretched, the more I'd overcome this lack of flexibility. It never worked, but it was a good way to make everything hurt more. I can go into a decent tuck if I need to, that's all I care about.
Yeah, at 6’2.75” (now 6’1”) I had the least amount of flexibility of anyone I knew and stretching only hurt and never increased it. Maybe when I hit 6’0” I might be able to touch my ankles.

Likes For rsbob:
Old 02-06-23, 05:24 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

True of us all. It would be fun to come up with a conspiracy theory about liars promoting stretching, though, but that's my inner troll talking.
You mean, “Big Stretch” which promotes its poison to create confusion, torn muscles and decreased performance? And then there is their chief competitor, “Big Warm up” which tries to insidiously waste people’s time by having them think that doing everything in slow motion promoting intellectual enlightenment, healthy muscles and fresher breath.

Last edited by rsbob; 02-06-23 at 05:28 PM.
Likes For rsbob:
Old 02-06-23, 05:37 PM
Trakhak

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 2482 Post(s)
Liked 2,952 Times in 1,677 Posts
Probably better than stretching stiff muscles---that sounds like a recipe for disaster.

Maybe you're overdoing it, if your muscles end up in that state.

(What follows is off-topic here, but there's some information that might be of interest for figuring out how to train productively without overdoing it to the point where you're suffering from muscle soreness.)

I've just this week started using Xert, which is one of the many programs available to control a smart trainer.

No video game graphics, some look-at-scenery-while-you-ride stuff available, but that's about it for amusement. Xert's main thing is that, on the basis of the usual data (height, weight, age, etc.) plus your choice of a variety of fitness goals, the software monitors your response to the changing resistance levels you're working against in real time and adjusts the work load accordingly (i.e., incrementally greater resistance or lesser resistance is applied, interval length is adjusted, etc.).

What I've learned in the three days since I began using it: my usual hard efforts on my bike have been insufficiently hard and too lengthy, and the recovery rides I thought I'd been doing at reasonably low effort levels have been too hard and (therefore) too lengthy---or, putting it another way, the time I've spent riding at genuinely low enough effort has been insufficient.

Case in point: I did a 45-minute interval-based recovery ride on the trainer this morning. The workout included one 30-second effort at about double my FTP and then a bunch of efforts with decreasing wattage levels and durations interspersed with recovery periods of lower and lower wattage levels and ever-increasing durations. Xert then told me that my cumulative training volume value is currently toward the upper end of the acceptable range and that I should wait about 2 days before doing my next hard interval-based workout.

Then I went out on a shopping ride for 2.25 hours at what felt like a very easy pace. But after I put the values for that ride into Xert, the recommendation changed: now I'm supposed to wait 4 days before doing a hard interval workout. Oops.

The point is that, if you're experiencing sore muscles from cycling, you'd almost certainly profit from considering adopting a workout program that resembles the 80% very easy/20% hard programs that have become common in endurance training.
Likes For Trakhak:
Old 02-06-23, 05:40 PM
kayakindude

Bikes: 1987 Cannondale SR600/BioPace, 1991 Cannondale Road Tandem,1994 Giant Iguana MB, 2009 Airnimal Chameleon, 2016 Dahon Vybe C7A

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Liked 100 Times in 63 Posts
I stretch to pull the charger cord out of my ebike battery and again stretch after the ride to plug the cord back into the battery.
Likes For kayakindude:
Old 02-06-23, 05:47 PM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8279 Post(s)
Liked 9,033 Times in 4,471 Posts
Originally Posted by kayakindude
I stretch to pull the charger cord out of my ebike battery and again stretch after the ride to plug the cord back into the battery.
lol
Old 02-06-23, 05:49 PM
Eric F 
Habitual User

You mean, “Big Stretch” which promotes its poison to create confusion, torn muscles and decreased performance? And then there is their chief competitor, “Big Warm up” which tries to insidiously waste people’s time by having them think that doing everything in slow motion promoting intellectual enlightenment, healthy muscles and fresher breath.
If you're tearing muscles when stretching, you're doing it wrong. Just sayin'. This is the truth that Big Spa won't tell you.
Old 02-06-23, 09:02 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Originally Posted by wolfchild
A lot of people confuse stretching and warm up and think that it is the same thing, when it is not. Those are two different things. Stretching is not a warm up...The best way to warm up is to start doing the actual movements or activity which you plan on doing. In the case of cycling, the best way to warm up is to get on your bike and start riding.
I think everyone on this thread is pretty clear on the difference between warm ups and stretching. But dynamic stretching is an attempt to combine the two, and for whatever reason, it seems to work for at least some people.

I don't really do warming up when I ride, I just get on with it, as fast out of the gate as I can manage. Don't know if it's "the best way", I just know it's my way because it works well for me.
Old 02-06-23, 09:21 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Got back on the trainer today to see if my pull would be aggravated or if it would be ok. Decided to do an uncharacteristic slow warm-up for 10 minutes at 1.0 Watt/Kg. No issues, so went to 1.5 then 2.0 and after 20 mins 2.4 where In held it for the duration of the hour. At the conclusion I did an uncharacteristic cool down for 10 minutes going back to 1.0 and felt fine.

Have intervals on the schedule so will try the same warm up and cool down process and see how it goes.

Likes For rsbob:
Old 02-07-23, 07:03 AM
beng1
Banned

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 790 Post(s)
Liked 348 Times in 195 Posts
It depends on who you are. There is research that shows regular stretching makes young top athletes slower. I am an old man and the best policy for me is to just be aware of that and look at what I am doing. When I get into an activity I don't stretch, I just move into it slowly and gradually. If you go from sitting on your butt to sprinting into an activity, no matter what age you are you have screwed up.

That being said I like the idea of being flexible, maybe because I never was and always envied those who could bend like Gumby. I stretched a lot when I was in track in HS in the 70s, but warming up was still necessary before running full-tilt even though I stretched ever day.

In the end I don't think it matters what you do as long as you ease into it. Also if the activity is something new, that you do not do regularly, of course you are going to encounter some bumps in the road.
Old 02-07-23, 09:18 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Got back on the trainer today to see if my pull would be aggravated or if it would be ok. Decided to do an uncharacteristic slow warm-up for 10 minutes at 1.0 Watt/Kg. No issues, so went to 1.5 then 2.0 and after 20 mins 2.4 where In held it for the duration of the hour. At the conclusion I did an uncharacteristic cool down for 10 minutes going back to 1.0 and felt fine.

Have intervals on the schedule so will try the same warm up and cool down process and see how it goes.
Sounds like good progress!

My feeling about this is a little trial and error is worth about 10k contradictory posts and articles telling you what definitely will or won't work. Online info suggests things to try or perhaps to avoid, we have to figure out what works for ourselves.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 02-07-23, 09:18 AM
prj71

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 2975 Post(s)
Liked 1,181 Times in 771 Posts
I never stretch before or after a ride ever.

But I do a little bit of yoga stretching during the week between rides which seems to have helped.
Old 02-07-23, 10:25 AM
kayakindude

Bikes: 1987 Cannondale SR600/BioPace, 1991 Cannondale Road Tandem,1994 Giant Iguana MB, 2009 Airnimal Chameleon, 2016 Dahon Vybe C7A

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Liked 100 Times in 63 Posts
Originally Posted by prj71
I never stretch before or after a ride ever.

But I do a little bit of yoga stretching during the week between rides which seems to have helped.
Like some have mentioned, Yoga was a game changer for me as I moved into my 40's and on. I was a distance runner and was one who always struggled to touch my toes.

I gained amazing flexibility through yoga just doing one class a week and I'm pretty sure it protected me from the muscle injuries my friends suffered doing similar activities.

Now here's the funny thing. Once the pandemic hit I went without it for over three years, but I never lost the flexibility gained, still no problem grabbing my toes from standing. You would think that would have reverted.
Old 02-11-23, 08:12 PM
Lombard
Sock Puppet

Bikes: 2014 Cannondale Synapse Carbon, 2017 Jamis Renegade Exploit and too many others to mention.

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1031 Post(s)
Liked 863 Times in 573 Posts
This site covers both dynamic (pre-ride) and static (post) with good explanations: https://velosurance.com/blog/10-stre...-should-doing/
Yes. One must not confuse the two. Static stretching is what is not good before exercise. Dynamic stretching is.

Let's face it. We love to bike and we don't care for all these other exercises we must do. But as I get older, I find if I want to be without pain, I must do stretches. To the naysayers here who say stretching is a waste of time, lucky you that you don't need to do them. If it keeps me out of pain, it is not a waste of time.

Yeah, at 6’2.75” (now 6’1”) I had the least amount of flexibility of anyone I knew and stretching only hurt and never increased it. Maybe when I hit 6’0” I might be able to touch my ankles.
Whoa Nellie! If a stretch hurts, you are overdoing it and it is clearly possible to overstretch. You should feel a nice stretch, never pain. Or maybe the particular stretch is not right for your condition or your body. If it hurts when you do it, don't do it.
Old 02-11-23, 09:37 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Originally Posted by Lombard
Yes. One must not confuse the two. Static stretching is what is not good before exercise. Dynamic stretching is.

Let's face it. We love to bike and we don't care for all these other exercises we must do. But as I get older, I find if I want to be without pain, I must do stretches. To the naysayers here who say stretching is a waste of time, lucky you that you don't need to do them. If it keeps me out of pain, it is not a waste of time.

Whoa Nellie! If a stretch hurts, you are overdoing it and it is clearly possible to overstretch. You should feel a nice stretch, never pain. Or maybe the particular stretch is not right for your condition or your body. If it hurts when you do it, don't do it.
I decided today after a 50 miler to “stretch” In a hot bath. Just about fell asleep.

Old 02-12-23, 07:10 AM
DonkeyShow

Quoted: 195 Post(s)
Liked 234 Times in 141 Posts
I decided today after a 50 miler to “stretch” In a hot bath. Just about fell asleep.
sleep is great for recovery. Make it a salt bath next time and you got a winner.
Likes For DonkeyShow:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.