Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Anyone ever taken a Wabi frame and spread the rear triangle to 130mm?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-23, 06:36 AM
Atlas95

Bikes: 2015 Motobecane Mirage, 2022 Wabi Thunder

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts

Thinking of a possible future project. Buy a Wabi frame (love their bikes) and spread it to accommodate 105 components - dream roadbike.

Also...can anyone recommend some quality, modern, steel road bike manufacturers?
Old 02-27-23, 07:25 AM
Hondo6

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 550 Post(s)
Liked 672 Times in 464 Posts
Originally Posted by Atlas95
Thinking of a possible future project. Buy a Wabi frame (love their bikes) and spread it to accommodate 105 components - dream roadbike.
I assume you're talking this manufacturer when you say "Wabi frame" above:

https://wabicycles.com/

If so, you might want to reconsider. Photos on that site show all their frames having track forks vice rear dropouts. Moreover, none have an integral RD hanger or, best I can tell, any provisions for installing a removable one. This alone is going to complicate any multi-speed conversion.

Waterford still makes great steel frames. If I recall correctly, Battaglin in Italy also now concentrates on high-end steel frames. Just be prepared for sticker shock with either.

I'm sure there are also many other quality steel frame makers out there, both commercial and custom. Just can't think of any off the top of my head.

You might also want to consider a good vintage steel frame. Plenty of those still around made with all varieties of steel tubing. A number of those were made with 130mm spacing.

Best of luck.

Last edited by Hondo6; 02-27-23 at 07:29 AM. Reason: Add info, correct error.
Old 02-27-23, 07:39 AM
Atlas95

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Yep that's the manufacturer, Hondo. Thanks for your tip about the rear dropout. Unfortunately hadn't thought of that and that alone is enough to deter me. Dang.

I will most likely go with a vintage frame for this project then. I wonder if it would be difficult to find a vintage frame that isn't too heavy. Those wabis are 5-5.9 lbs. Quite light.

More research needed !
Old 02-27-23, 07:52 AM
Kontact 

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 4390 Post(s)
Liked 1,555 Times in 1,020 Posts
I have a mid-line old Fuji that weighs 4 pounds for a 52cm frame. I don't think it is going to be that hard to find a frame that isn't too heavy. 531 and Ishiwata #1 frames will tend to be lighter than SL If you want to keep the price reasonable, look for '80s Japanese frames - Centurion, Fuji, Nishiki, Bridgestone, Specialized, Miyata. Trek, Raleigh and Giant as well. Premium prices for old stuff usually is for Italian brands, but the quality is there in all those brands.
Old 02-27-23, 09:38 AM
drlogik 

Bikes: '87-ish Pinarello Montello; '89 Nishiki Ariel; '85 Raleigh Wyoming, '16 Wabi Special, '16 Wabi Classic, '14 Kona Cinder Cone

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 699 Post(s)
Liked 409 Times in 255 Posts
Wabi used to make a multi-geared bike but they discontinued that a few years ago. Their current frame lineup doesn't have any frames that can take a derailleur or a derailleur hanger. You might call them to see if they have any new old stock frames for their multi-geared bike though. I called them a couple of years ago asking about them and they still had a few frames left.

--

Last edited by drlogik; 02-27-23 at 10:40 AM.
Likes For drlogik:
Old 02-27-23, 11:19 AM
icemilkcoffee 

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1561 Post(s)
Liked 1,734 Times in 974 Posts
Aliexpress steel frame?

https://www.aliexpress.us/item/2251832546821426.html
Old 02-27-23, 12:45 PM
Atlas95

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Kontact
I have a mid-line old Fuji that weighs 4 pounds for a 52cm frame. I don't think it is going to be that hard to find a frame that isn't too heavy. 531 and Ishiwata #1 frames will tend to be lighter than SL If you want to keep the price reasonable, look for '80s Japanese frames - Centurion, Fuji, Nishiki, Bridgestone, Specialized, Miyata. Trek, Raleigh and Giant as well. Premium prices for old stuff usually is for Italian brands, but the quality is there in all those brands.
Since you mentioned Miyata...My girlfriend has an old Miyata 310 that I recently restored. I don't know how much it weighs and have no way of finding that out....Do you happen to know anything about the 310? Was it a good bike? It's certainly served us well since last summer.
Old 02-27-23, 01:00 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4806 Post(s)
Liked 3,928 Times in 2,553 Posts
Since you mentioned Miyata...My girlfriend has an old Miyata 310 that I recently restored. I don't know how much it weighs and have no way of finding that out....Do you happen to know anything about the 310? Was it a good bike? It's certainly served us well since last summer.
I rode a 610 into the ground. (Three hard crashes.) That frame? Really well built. Zero issues other than the operator steering into another bike, a concrete and steel bridge wall and finally a chainlink fence. Fork suffered and was replaced each crash. Frame survived nicely the first two then bent TT and DT with no cracking, no issues at the lugs. Probably repairable but it had served me 27,000 miles of year 'round commuting,

It didn't fit me all that well and the new bike is a much better ride because of the fit improvement despite being poorer tubing. But for metal quality, design and workmanship, that bike was first class in its price and model range. I don't know the 310 but I"ll guess it's a step heavier with Hi-Ten steel, not Cro-Mr for the main tubes. Not quite as lively feeling. But I bet that attention to detail and workmanship is there. If the ride is too, and it sounds like it is, it's a keeper. Enjoy it!
Old 02-27-23, 02:14 PM
Hondo6

Originally Posted by 79pmooney
I don't know the 310 but I"ll guess it's a step heavier with Hi-Ten steel, not Cro-Mr for the main tubes. Not quite as lively feeling. But I bet that attention to detail and workmanship is there. If the ride is too, and it sounds like it is, it's a keeper. Enjoy it!
Can't speak for every year it was produced, but at least the 1985 Miyata 310 had a CroMo main triangle with manganese steel forks/stays.

https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-v...ata-310-a.html

It was a bit heavier than some other bikes of the era due to (1) triple-butted, but relatively thick (1.2/0.9/1.0) main tubes, and (2) fairly weighty wheels and tires (totaling 8+ pounds between front and rear). The review says Miyata made their own tubing because they couldn't find a tubing supplier with tubes that made a stiff enough frame to suit their desires.
Likes For Hondo6:
Old 02-27-23, 02:41 PM
alcjphil

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1819 Post(s)
Liked 1,693 Times in 974 Posts
One thing to look out for in older frames is tire clearance. Bikes from the early 70's can have enough clearance for good size tires whereas in the later eighties and 90's you would struggle to find decent room for anything bigger than 700 x 23. One reason for that was that there were very few real high performance tires back then in sizes wider than 700 x 23. I own a mid 1980's Limongi that has enough room for 700 x 25 tires, but maybe not much more. My 1973 Raleigh Professional had much more tire clearance, even with mudguards. I have seen lots of bikes from the late 80's and 90's with realy tight tire clearance
Old 02-27-23, 06:32 PM
squirtdad

Bikes: Kirk Custom JK Special, '84 Team Miyata,(dura ace old school) 80?? SR Semi-Pro 600 Arabesque

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Quoted: 2338 Post(s)
Liked 2,822 Times in 1,541 Posts
Yep that's the manufacturer, Hondo. Thanks for your tip about the rear dropout. Unfortunately hadn't thought of that and that alone is enough to deter me. Dang.

I will most likely go with a vintage frame for this project then. I wonder if it would be difficult to find a vintage frame that isn't too heavy. Those wabis are 5-5.9 lbs. Quite light.

More research needed !
you could go for and IGH (internal gear hub)

but overall it would be cheaper to buy a bike than to build from parts

but getting a nice vintage frame is fun

Old 02-27-23, 08:40 PM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2746 Post(s)
Liked 3,390 Times in 2,053 Posts

More research needed !
​​​​​​https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-v...ergos-327.html
Likes For dedhed:
Old 02-27-23, 09:32 PM
Kontact 

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 4390 Post(s)
Liked 1,555 Times in 1,020 Posts
That seems to be a very nice frameset with triple butted chromoly tubing. Probably similar to my Fuji Taira, they sometimes used triple butted tubing to have thick enough ends for brass brazing but really getting it thin in the middle. So that 310 is probably pretty light overall. Some forks hi-ten, later ones chromoly equivalent.

https://cargocollective.com/BRAZENBICYCLES/Miyata-310
https://classicjapanesebicycles.com/miyata/
Old 02-28-23, 05:50 AM
smd4

Bikes: 1989 Cinelli Supercorsa

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 3510 Post(s)
Liked 2,924 Times in 1,774 Posts
Also...can anyone recommend some quality, modern, steel road bike manufacturers?
I always recommend a Cinelli Supercorsa. It is so choice. If you have the means I highly recommend picking one up.
Old 03-02-23, 10:45 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4350 Post(s)
Liked 3,989 Times in 2,663 Posts
Tons of options for steel road bikes. What do you want from it? Soma, Surly, Ritchey, All-City...are all more mass produced options but good stuff but you can go with tons of other options from smaller producers to full custom stuff. Figure out what you want from it and we can help direct you around.
Old 03-06-23, 12:43 AM
tFUnK

Bikes: Too many bikes, too little time to ride

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 430 Post(s)
Liked 460 Times in 318 Posts
I picked up one of these to try to turn my fgss frame into a 1x. Am sort of confident it will work (either with clamp on cable stops or run full housing with cable ties), but never got around to trying it. I'd say if you already have a fgss frame that you like, it's worth a try. If it's a steel frame it can be spread to 130mm, I wouldn't worry about it. But if you haven't picked up the frame yet, then I'd just start with something that's already built for running gears.
Old 03-07-23, 06:30 AM
Hondo6

Originally Posted by tFUnK
I picked up one of these to try to turn my fgss frame into a 1x.
Never seen that item before - very interesting. I didn't know they existed.

Thanks for posting the link.
Old 03-07-23, 07:03 AM
himespau 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 4233 Post(s)
Liked 2,948 Times in 1,807 Posts
Originally Posted by icemilkcoffee
Those are surprisingly pretty (in the pictures) if you don't need something bigger than a 54 and will trust what little info is on the page.
Old 03-08-23, 09:38 PM
oldbobcat

Bikes: '80 Masi Gran Criterium, '12 Trek Madone, early '60s Frejus track

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 514 Post(s)
Liked 448 Times in 337 Posts
Why would you want to put Shimano 105 on a frame that doesn't have a derailleur hanger?

New steel frames are kind of a boutique item these days. Maybe these folks have a used one for you. https://steel-vintage.com/collection...-frames?page=1

Last edited by oldbobcat; 03-08-23 at 09:47 PM.