Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Am I crazy?

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Am I crazy?

Old 06-11-19, 06:09 AM
Predator 007

Bikes: Trek SL6 Pro

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Am I crazy?

I have a one year old Trek SL 6 Pro but really like the electronic shifting (Di2). My local shop gave me a price of $1400 to do the upgrade. I also want to upgrade from the Aeolus Pro 3 wheels to the Aeolus XXX4 since they will be on "sale". Bottom line is I'm dumping $3,600 including tax into it. It is still cheaper than selling/trading and then buying a new bike.
Old 06-11-19, 06:49 AM
Lrdchaos

Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 13 Posts
It’s your money, but I don’t think I would put that much into that bike. The di2 is nice, but I just bought a bike without it, and I could have bought either, because I felt the money could be better spent elsewhere. The wheels will be a nice upgrade, but I doubt you will be that much faster, if any. But if the upgrades make your rides more enjoyable, and you don’t have to go into debt to do them...go for it!!!
Old 06-11-19, 07:13 AM
dmanthree

Bikes: Garmin/Tacx Bike Smart

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 646 Post(s)
Liked 289 Times in 191 Posts
Sell it and buy a new bike that's set up the way you want.

So, yes, you're crazy. I say that because anyone who asks that question usually is. ;-)
Old 06-11-19, 07:32 AM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7648 Post(s)
Liked 3,464 Times in 1,830 Posts
Depends what you use the bike for and what you hope to get for the money. Return on Investment is often purely emotional in these cases .... for instance, upgrading from really good wheels to a tiny-bit-marginally-better wheels .... someone could come int he night and change the decals, put the old wheels back on, you'd never know. DI2 ... you'd notice, but is shifting ruining your rides now?

As to whether it would be "cheaper" than selling/trading and buying new ..... depends how much you can get for the old drive train and old wheels. Depends how much the bike equipped as you would like it might cost---and also, how much you would spend on That bike in a year when the urge to upgrade hits you again.

I mean, none of us are fooled into thinking that after you drop this $3600, your bike will be "done" and you will never spend money on it for anything but consumables, or that this will be your "last bike" that you will ride for the rest of your life.

You drop $3600 this year .... and next year see another "too good to pass up" deal on wheels, saddle, electronics, whatever ... and in two or three years feel the need to get a new bike anyway .... and a year later see another "too good to pass up" deal on some parts upgrade ......

Besides, you have already decided to do this. This upgrade, the several before it, and the several to come. You picked this path a while ago. You came here to be reassured that others share your particular insanity, not to get help making a decision .... the decision was made long ago.

So ... . crazy? Certainly. Like the guy who spends $300 to save 100 grams laughing at the guy who spends $500 to save 150 grams .... while the guy with the hard "dollar-a-gram" rule laughs at all the rest .... and the guy on the steel-framed C&V bike beats them all up the hill, and who cares anyway?

You have cash, you like buying stuff, you like cycling, you like buying stuff to make your bike "better." None of this stuff will empirically make your Bike better, but psychologically, they all add up (hopefully) to make your riding better .... until the addiction resurges and you need to spend another $2400 to shave another 22 grams off the rear wheel or whatever.

Crazy. or ill, or whatever ... we all recognize the symptoms. Welcome to Bike Upgrades Annonymous. My name is Maelochs and I buy too much bike stuff.
Old 06-11-19, 07:37 AM
cycledogg

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 344 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 18 Posts
Originally Posted by Predator 007
I have a one year old Trek SL 6 Pro but really like the electronic shifting (Di2). My local shop gave me a price of $1400 to do the upgrade. I also want to upgrade from the Aeolus Pro 3 wheels to the Aeolus XXX4 since they will be on "sale". Bottom line is I'm dumping $3,600 including tax into it. It is still cheaper than selling/trading and then buying a new bike.
Not sure what you paid for the bike "as-is" but it looks like it sells for around the price of your upgrade quote. I would think you could buy another bike, for about 1K more than what you originally paid for the SL but with Di2. Invest in some other wheels and come out cheaper and just as fast. Or, just invest in some wheels. Di2 won't make you faster. JMHO
Old 06-11-19, 07:39 AM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

Bikes: Nekobasu, Pandicorn, Lakitu

Mentioned: 119 Post(s)
Quoted: 4905 Post(s)
Liked 1,731 Times in 958 Posts
As with most things, "crazy" is relative. Want also usually trumps need. But I know that in my mind, 3600 bucks sounds a whole lot more like N+1 than it does electronic shifting and more bling-y tire holders.

Considered a gravel bike at all? CX? Fat bike, maybe? Your upgrade budget is within striking distance of a Checkpoint SL6. Start looking at 105 equipped and you could be taking home two bikes.
Old 06-11-19, 08:20 AM
Predator 007

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
The upgrades are simply to make the riding more enjoyable and slightly better wheels. I did look into trading, but for the cost of the bike I was considering (SLR 7) it really didn't make sense to spend 5k+ to trim .8lbs. It just seemed more practical to stay with my current bike and do the upgrades. I have no false expectation that will be able to sell the bike for what I have in it. It's simply for my enjoyment. Somewhere down the line I may even do a custom paint job. Won't make me any faster, but it's just like customizing a motorcycle or car.
Old 06-11-19, 08:23 AM
smashndash

Bikes: 2017 Specialized Allez Sprint Comp

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 850 Post(s)
Liked 344 Times in 247 Posts
I would say wait until the TDF to see what Shimano does. They may be dropping a new Dura Ace and maybe even a new Ultegra. If those two groups are 12 speed, then this gen will be worth a lot less. You can choose either and you’ll be significantly better off than now.

If you get new wheels with the 11 speed freehub, they may be incompatible with all new Shimano groupsets. Do you trust Trek to make a replacement freehub for the XXX4?
Old 06-11-19, 08:34 AM
noodle soup

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 4717 Post(s)
Liked 1,882 Times in 998 Posts
That's a ton of money for an upgrade, on a bike that went for $3200.
Old 06-11-19, 09:01 AM
sdmc530
Heft On Wheels

Bikes: Specialized,Cannondale,Argon 18

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 887 Post(s)
Liked 560 Times in 346 Posts
I think its "crazy" I would just but a new bike. With your trade in and your willingness to drop some decent cash I would just opt for a new bike. If you can swing it that is. BUT its your bike, if you love your current bike then do that. Who really are we to judge what you choose to do with your money?!

But yeah your crazy
Likes For sdmc530:
Old 06-11-19, 09:30 AM
Predator 007

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by noodle soup
Yeah, but I can still take my fancy wheels with me when I change bikes.
Old 06-11-19, 09:37 AM
Rides4Beer

Bikes: SuperSix Evo | Revolt

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 733 Post(s)
Liked 815 Times in 414 Posts
Originally Posted by DrIsotope
As with most things, "crazy" is relative. Want also usually trumps need. But I know that in my mind, 3600 bucks sounds a whole lot more like N+1 than it does electronic shifting and more bling-y tire holders.

Considered a gravel bike at all? CX? Fat bike, maybe? Your upgrade budget is within striking distance of a Checkpoint SL6. Start looking at 105 equipped and you could be taking home two bikes.
Not my money, but I agree, $3600 to upgrade sounds like new bike money to me. If one isn't brand loyal, I would be ordering this, Di2 Ultegra Disc.

https://www.merlincycles.com/sensa-g...19-128501.html
Old 06-11-19, 09:57 AM
dalava

Bikes: Moots Vamoots, Colnago C60, Santa Cruz Stigmata CC, and too many other bikes I don't ride

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 152 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
From what I understand, the hubs on the XXX are DT Swiss internals including the free hub body. I have the older D3 and they are definitely DT Swiss.
Old 06-11-19, 10:04 AM
dalava

Bikes: Moots Vamoots, Colnago C60, Santa Cruz Stigmata CC, and too many other bikes I don't ride

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 152 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Let's see: you only need shifters, derailleurs, junction boxes, cables (e-tubes) and battery. Existing crankset and brakes will still be good. So that should run you about $800. The XXX4 retails for less than $2500, and I have seen them on sale for less than $2000. Adding labor, you should be at less than $3000. You can probably recoup say $800 from the mech parts and the wheelset by selling them. So the net cost is really about $2-2.5k.

Is it worth it? f it makes you ride more and enjoy more, then yes!
Old 06-11-19, 10:05 AM
Lrdchaos

Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 13 Posts

It it sounds like your mind is made up....do it!!! If not, you most likely won’t be happy with this bike. I buy stuff I don’t need from time to time, but it makes me happy. What fun is life if you can’t splurge every once in awhile.

I assume this is a rim bike? If so, one thing I would consider is the direction of the business. A rim bike might be hard to come by in a few years. You might not be able to keep the wheels for a different bike.
Likes For Lrdchaos:
Old 06-11-19, 10:24 AM
noodle soup

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 4717 Post(s)
Liked 1,882 Times in 998 Posts
I think those fancy wheels are way overpriced. I'd consider a 46mm Light Bicycle wheelset like the one @Rides4Beer has.

https://www.lightbicycle.com/700C-V-...ompatible.html
Old 06-11-19, 11:07 AM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts
Technically the Di2 as well, but realistically you're not going to.

Are you on disc or rim brakes? If you drop $$$ you'll be married to the type of brake. How wide are the rims you're considering? What tire size are they made for? (If you're going to spend $2k on aero wheels, you're not going to want to give that aero advantage up.)

I spent $3k on a set of Enve wheels. I love them. I enjoy riding them, I don't ride more because I already rode a lot. I'm kind of anxious about them though. That's really the biggest downside in my case, worry about damaging them.

I would probably go the LB route mentioned above, if I had a second bike that needed good wheels.
Likes For Seattle Forrest:
Old 06-11-19, 12:27 PM
Fox Farm

Bikes: Merlin Extra Light, Orbea Orca, Ritchey Outback,Tomac Revolver Mountain Bike, Cannondale Crit 3.0 now used for time trials.

Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 34 Posts
Honestly how much better will your shifting be with electronic? If you were building new and dropping the cash, I suppose you could justify the upgrade but if what you have works fine, why change? New fast wheels will make you smile, sure, but I am not all that familiar with what you have vs what you want to get.
I say throw that money into a nice well built gravel bike and go have some fun.
Old 06-11-19, 01:29 PM
Dean V

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1067 Post(s)
Liked 259 Times in 153 Posts
The "upgrade" certainly wouldn't be worth it to me, but I am not you.
The bike already has nice wheels and I am not that fussed about di2. I have bikes with it and without and can't say I enjoy the ones with it any more.
Swapping out those gatorskins for something decent would be the best upgrade and only a hundred bucks.
Old 06-11-19, 01:30 PM
Rides4Beer

Bikes: SuperSix Evo | Revolt

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 733 Post(s)
Liked 815 Times in 414 Posts
Oh, forgot to say, def +1 for a gravel bike! $3600 will get you a really nice setup. Way more fun than road riding, imo.
Old 06-11-19, 01:58 PM
Ghazmh

Bikes: 2022 Salsa Beargrease, 2020 Seven Evergreen, 2019 Honey Allroads Ti, 2018 Seven Redsky XX, 2017 Trek Boon 7, 2014 Trek 520

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 694 Post(s)
Liked 910 Times in 487 Posts
Di2 is cool to have but I wouldn’t do it again. In fact I didn’t. I parted out a Di2 equipped carbon bike and replaced it with a custom Ti bike with a mechanical group set. It made absolutely 0.0% difference in my performance and enjoyment. I can replace the cables 10 times at $100 for parts and labor each time and still come in under the cost difference for Di2.
Old 06-11-19, 02:31 PM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 560 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22570 Post(s)
Liked 8,918 Times in 4,152 Posts
Yes you are crazy.

Unless you already have a back-up/beater bike, keep the current one and get a new one for not much more. N+1.
Old 06-11-19, 02:43 PM
ronin4740

Bikes: Giant TCR, Pure City Original Fixie, Fuji Roubaix, Raleigh M800

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 14 Posts
I'd do the Di2 upgrade but I'm balking at the $2K price for a wheel set. Of course I'm not a competitive rider but I DO absolutely LOVE the accuracy that the Ultegra Di2 group on the Giant TCR I just purchased second hand has over the manual shifting 105 group with a triple up front that's on the 2004 Fuji Roubaix it replaced.

Your money, your choices...
Old 06-11-19, 03:09 PM
cycledogg

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 344 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 18 Posts
Originally Posted by noodle soup
My thought exactly!
Old 06-11-19, 03:41 PM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts
Originally Posted by Rides4Beer
Oh, forgot to say, def +1 for a gravel bike! $3600 will get you a really nice setup. Way more fun than road riding, imo.
Less traffic, safer conditions, better scenery, more wildlife than texting drivers ... what's not to like?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.