Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Carbon Wheel Upgrade

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Carbon Wheel Upgrade

Old 01-30-20, 05:03 PM
alfhasian

Bikes: 2018 Specialized Sirrus Sport, 2019 Specialized Roubaix Comp

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Carbon Wheel Upgrade

I'm looking at upgrading my current set of wheels in the near future from my current set (DT Swiss R470) to a carbon set (Roval C38). I've heard the best arguments for carbon wheels are their weight and aerodynamics. However in looking at the spec sheets, it looks like the net weight of my current wheels are 450g each whereas the C38's state 1560g for the set. Is this a fair comparison or am I looking at two different numbers here? Does the specified weight for the R470 not include hubs and spokes or something?
Old 01-30-20, 05:09 PM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 560 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22570 Post(s)
Liked 8,918 Times in 4,152 Posts
Originally Posted by alfhasian
I'm looking at upgrading my current set of wheels in the near future from my current set (DT Swiss R470) to a carbon set (Roval C38). I've heard the best arguments for carbon wheels are their weight and aerodynamics. However in looking at the spec sheets, it looks like the net weight of my current wheels are 450g each whereas the C38's state 1560g for the set. Is this a fair comparison or am I looking at two different numbers here? Does the specified weight for the R470 not include hubs and spokes or something?
I expect you are looking at just the rim weight for the DT Swiss. I suspect the wheelset you have is 1650-1700g. Plus the Roval are more aero. But the difference is likely modest. Real, but modest.
Old 01-30-20, 05:12 PM
Robert A

Bikes: 2019 CAAD12, 2015 Specialized Sirrus Comp

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 559 Post(s)
Liked 63 Times in 45 Posts
450 grams for the R470 is for the rims alone.

https://www.dtswiss.com/en/products/...durance/r-470/

The weight spec for Roval is for a complete set with hubs and spokes.

https://rovalcomponents.com/products...disc-wheelset#

I'm no expert, but I don't think carbon wheels are necessarily lighter than alu. They're just able to be made deeper without adding weight.
Old 01-30-20, 11:14 PM
Princess_Allez

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 40 Posts
The best reason for upgrading wheels is to go tubeless; aerodynamics second; weight third. Wait, scratch that. Looks first, then everything else proceeding

Last edited by Princess_Allez; 01-30-20 at 11:19 PM.
Likes For Princess_Allez:
Old 02-03-20, 09:31 AM
"Fred"
Got Hills, I do!

Bikes: Trek Domane SLR 9.9 - Trek Supercaliber 9.9.

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Princess_Allez
The best reason for upgrading wheels is to go tubeless; aerodynamics second; weight third. Wait, scratch that. Looks first, then everything else proceeding
I have to agree with everything he said.
Old 02-03-20, 10:27 AM
Koyote

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 6926 Post(s)
Liked 10,926 Times in 4,667 Posts
If you really want to be faster, take the money you would've spent on the cf wheels and use it to buy some vacation time from work in order to train more, or use it for coaching, or for a power meter, or some combo of the above. If you are already doing all of this, then sure, get yourself some new wheels.
Likes For Koyote:
Old 02-03-20, 02:13 PM
Dean V

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1067 Post(s)
Liked 259 Times in 153 Posts
Originally Posted by Koyote
If you really want to be faster, take the money you would've spent on the cf wheels and use it to buy some vacation time from work in order to train more, or use it for coaching, or for a power meter, or some combo of the above. If you are already doing all of this, then sure, get yourself some new wheels.
Why do you have to do all this before you buy new wheels?
Likes For Dean V:
Old 02-03-20, 03:02 PM
base2 
I am potato.

Bikes: Only precision built, custom high performance elitist machines of the highest caliber. 🍆

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 1782 Post(s)
Liked 1,620 Times in 926 Posts
Originally Posted by Dean V
Because rims/spokes are a ridiculously tiny fraction the total amount of aerodynamic drag. Is it a statistically significant amount of drag? Yes. But it's on the order of 1 or2 digits of watts depending on speed. Read: less than a kph/½mph at normal speeds.

By all means, go buy carbon rims, if you'd like. Carbon rims are awesome. The added stiffness/responsivness from a deep dish wheel...The acceleration from a decent light wheelset is something that's just cool to behold. But don't expect to set your tires on fire with all that extra speed. Their actual gain, even among the best like ENVE 7.8/ZIPP 808's, etc...in relation to what you already have won't be as much as learning to hold a more aerodynamic body position & training to put down real power & sustain it in that position.

The faster you go the more they become worth the cost. Even more so when the wind is at slight yaw angles. But even then, how much time do you spend above 25mph/40kph? Enough to justify a few thousand dollars cost? Maybe...

New tires for example can save you 30-50 watts or more of rolling resistance depending on where you are starting from. Say, Gatorskin Hardshells with standard tubes & moving to GP5000 & latex or tubeless...so 1 or 2 mph depending on speed.

$50 Clip-on aero bars can easily net you 2 mph, depending on speed.

Strength & stamina workouts on a trainer can be another 2, 3, or 5 mph or more before the start of a season & costs nothing & will net a lot more ability than a carbon wheelset.

I'm writing all this as a guy that owns far too many ridiculously expensive carbon wheelsets. Rims aren't the reason some people are fast...It's the strength/stamina threshold, V02 max workouts 4 days a week.

Car dependency is a tax.
Likes For base2:
Old 02-03-20, 03:20 PM
noodle soup

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 4717 Post(s)
Liked 1,882 Times in 998 Posts
Originally Posted by base2
Because rims/spokes are a ridiculously tiny fraction the total amount of aerodynamic drag. Is it a statistically significant amount of drag? Yes. But it's on the order of 1 or2 digits of watts depending on speed. Read: less than a kph/½mph at normal speeds.

By all means, go buy carbon rims, if you'd like. Carbon rims are awesome. The added stiffness/responsivness from a deep dish wheel...The acceleration from a decent light wheelset is something that's just cool to behold. But don't expect to set your tires on fire with all that extra speed. Their actual gain, even among the best like ENVE 7.8/ZIPP 808's, etc...in relation to what you already have won't be as much as learning to hold a more aerodynamic body position & training to put down real power & sustain it in that position.

The faster you go the more they become worth the cost. Even more so when the wind is at slight yaw angles. But even then, how much time do you spend above 25mph/40kph? Enough to justify a few thousand dollars cost? Maybe...

New tires for example can save you 30-50 watts or more of rolling resistance depending on where you are starting from. Say, Gatorskin Hardshells with standard tubes & moving to GP5000 & latex or tubeless...so 1 or 2 mph depending on speed.

Strength & stamina workouts on a trainer can be another 2, 3, or 5 mph or more before the start of a season & costs nothing & will net a lot more ability than a carbon wheelset.

I'm writing all this as a guy that owns far too many ridiculously expensive carbon wheelsets. Rims aren't the reason some people are fast...It's the strength/stamina threshold, V02 max workouts 4 days a week.
While most or all of this is correct, the OP never mentioned “getting faster” as a reason for a new wheelset.
Old 02-03-20, 03:55 PM
base2 
I am potato.

Bikes: Only precision built, custom high performance elitist machines of the highest caliber. 🍆

Originally Posted by noodle soup
While most or all of this is correct, the OP never mentioned “getting faster” as a reason for a new wheelset.
He asked Koyote why he would need to hire a trainer & other stuff before dumping money on a fancy set of wheels. I was answering why. So he can put money where the largest improvements can be had most effectively...Also to temper expectations. I know I expected to be a lot faster with my first carbon wheel set. What it did not get me was more ability. So I wanted to share where money could be more stratigically spent & calibrate expectations.

Like said above: If he's already doing all those things, then buy away. He won't regret being fit enough to really put them in the performance range they are designed to be in.
Old 02-03-20, 05:21 PM
Koyote

The OP states that he/she understands aerodynamics and weight to be the best arguments in favor of cf wheels; do you know many (any) cyclists who are concerned about aerodynamics and weight independently of speed?

Originally Posted by Dean V
You can spend your money however you wish. The OP was asking, albeit indirectly, how to get faster, and is obviously a bit new to cycling. base2 and I have given useful advice.
Old 02-03-20, 05:58 PM
noodle soup

He asked Koyote why he would need to hire a trainer & other stuff before dumping money on a fancy set of wheels.
Really?

Where? Certainly not in this thread.
Old 02-03-20, 06:17 PM
Koyote

Really?

Where? Certainly not in this thread.
Now you’re being deliberately obtuse. base2 got the OP mixed up with another poster - but the OP is obviously interested in getting faster, and so the advice was spot-on.
Old 02-03-20, 06:47 PM
noodle soup

Now you’re being deliberately obtuse. base2 got the OP mixed up with another poster - but the OP is obviously interested in getting faster, and so the advice was spot-on.
the OP said nothing about getting faster.

He/she asked a question about wheel weight.

You derailed the thread by making an assumption.

Stop doing that.
Old 02-03-20, 07:34 PM
Russ Roth

Bikes: 2010 Carrera Volans, 2015 C-Dale Trail 2sl, 2017 Raleigh Rush Hour, 2017 Blue Proseccio, 1992 Giant Perigee, 80s Gitane Rallye Tandem

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1079 Post(s)
Liked 1,015 Times in 718 Posts
Carbon wheels won't necessarily save you weight, the carbon can allow for a deeper, optimal width rim for the same or slightly less weight. I just built my wife a set of wheels with 25mm wide rims that are 28mm deep which is really nice and only 445g. A carbon rim that is 25mm wide and the same weight might be more like 38-45mm deep so presumably more aero and stiffer or might be both more aero and a few grams lighter so saving an once or two. The result, depending on current wheel quality, you don't specify your hubs etc., means some weight savings, some aero advantage and possibly better hubs that will help you see some gains; though maybe not as great as you'd like. Helmet, clothing and position will help you see greater gains with position being the most significant. It doesn't mean that it isn't worth it to you; once ended up in second place by 2/10ths of a second on a 30 mile course after an hour and 20 min of racing. A minimal improvement of an extra 1/4 mile an hour meant the head of the pack might not have managed to catch me in the last few feet (I'd dumped the pack on an uphill 2 miles from the finish).
Old 02-03-20, 07:58 PM
Koyote

the OP said nothing about getting faster.

He/she asked a question about wheel weight.

You derailed the thread by making an assumption.

Stop doing that.
I’m still waiting for you to explain how a person who’s interested in lighter and more aerodynamic wheels is not interested in speed.
Old 02-03-20, 08:06 PM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts
The OP states that he/she understands aerodynamics and weight to be the best arguments in favor of cf wheels; do you know many (any) cyclists who are concerned about aerodynamics and weight independently of speed?
Only every roadie who's ever had to lift their bike.
Likes For Seattle Forrest:
Old 02-03-20, 08:46 PM
noodle soup

I’m still waiting for you to explain how a person who’s interested in lighter and more aerodynamic wheels is not interested in speed.
I guess no one ever wants to get some deep CF wheels simply because they look slick, and don’t want a set of boat anchors that handle like **** in crosswinds.
Old 02-03-20, 09:33 PM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

Bikes: Nekobasu, Pandicorn, Lakitu

Mentioned: 119 Post(s)
Quoted: 4905 Post(s)
Liked 1,731 Times in 958 Posts
Nothing wrong with buying carbon wheels because they look cool. They do look cool. For most people any difference in speed will be negligible, unless they're coming from a +2,000g wheelset to begin with.

I like mine. They look cool. Maybe I'm 0.3mph faster. But I didn't spend Zipp/ENVE money, so looking cool is pretty much enough.
Old 02-03-20, 11:28 PM
bonsai171

Quoted: 749 Post(s)
Liked 90 Times in 70 Posts

Not to sidetrack this thread, but what brand cip on aero bars are you talking about? Been wanting to try some.

Dave
Old 02-04-20, 08:07 AM
base2 
I am potato.

Originally Posted by bonsai171
Not to sidetrack this thread, but what brand cip on aero bars are you talking about? Been wanting to try some.

Dave
I actually had these in mind when I typed that. Vision also makes some J-bend ones too at the same price.

As for myself, at the other end of the spectrum I run ones from Redshift as the convenience of instant clip-on/off without tools & the matching dual position for on-the-fly TT position swayed my decision. I've only had the system for a few weeks, but so far the seat post really is worth it as it allows for more sustainable power when up on the bars. (Making power when on aero bars on a road bike is, for me at least, is an either/or proposition)

For the frugally inclined: The Redshift dual position seat post could be matched to any bars, including the $50 ones above to achieve 99% the benefit of a full TT bike for ~$230.

Car dependency is a tax.
Old 02-04-20, 08:52 AM
MoAlpha
• —

Bikes: Shmikes

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 10142 Post(s)
Liked 5,831 Times in 3,139 Posts
My spouse says thanks for this thread and the 2k she gets to spend on spring boat prep.
Likes For MoAlpha:
Old 02-04-20, 11:04 AM
Jack Tone 

Quoted: 389 Post(s)
Liked 255 Times in 165 Posts
I'm not sure where I read it, but I read that deep dish carbon rims are more rigid, but actually make a less rigid wheel. (compared to shallower carbon rims).
Old 02-04-20, 11:30 AM
Doge

Bikes: 1979 Raleigh Team 753

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3374 Post(s)
Liked 371 Times in 253 Posts
Originally Posted by alfhasian
450g EA would be rims. If it were the wheels the rear would be more.

"upgrade" depends a bit on how you want to use them. You mention weight and aerodynamics. Higher profile (aero) means more weight. For many riders an upgrade would be lower weight over more aero.

Low profile alloy wheels are often lighter than carbon if a clincher configuration.
The walls need to be thicker for the brake track in carbon. In deep profile, carbon are lighter. Shimano alloy wheels - the Ultegra and DuraAce are great in low profile.

If you want larger profile, there will be some handling changes, as well as them being heavier. They are not as responsive and side winds are more noticeable, they are typically harsher riding.

I would not shy away from the USA 2nd tier brands using Asian rims, Euro spokes and built in the USA. I'm a big fan of https://mercurycycling.com/ who has W2 builders in Utah. The building and truing is very good. That is not to say others cannot be as good.
Old 02-05-20, 06:21 AM
Bah Humbug
serious cyclist

Bikes: S1, R2, P2

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9334 Post(s)
Liked 3,679 Times in 2,026 Posts
Originally Posted by Jack Tone
I'm not sure where I read it, but I read that deep dish carbon rims are more rigid, but actually make a less rigid wheel. (compared to shallower carbon rims).
I haven't heard that. What I have heard is that more rigid wheels are the wheels that rub, as deflection at the road surface causes deflection at the top of the wheel rather than dissipating as flex. Could that be what you're thinking of?
Likes For Bah Humbug:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.