Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Eroica California 2023 - Sept. 17, 2023 in Cambria, CA

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Eroica California 2023 - Sept. 17, 2023 in Cambria, CA

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-23, 09:37 AM
repechage

Mentioned: 130 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3464 Post(s)
Liked 2,829 Times in 1,995 Posts
Originally Posted by Oldairhead
There may be more going on here than Eroica not supporting their Non-Euro events very well. Cino is struggling with numbers as well, and this is Cycle Oregons last year!

On a side note, a ride that I thought could be the next local Eroica style vintage event was the Dalles Mtn 60. It was held in March or April in the Gorge with a mix of gravel and paved roads, no entry fee, no support and several hundred riders participated. That one too seems to have gone away. Too bad! It was a great event.
yes, Cino endured a change of… “promoter?”
disorganizer, as it was planned but not at the onset.
this might be a hiccup of the times, demographics, pandemic emergence, inflation pinch, or just a convergence of factors.

time will tell.
Old 05-31-23, 09:57 AM
gugie 
Bike Butcher of Portland

Bikes: It's complicated.

Mentioned: 1299 Post(s)
Quoted: 4678 Post(s)
Liked 5,795 Times in 2,281 Posts
There may be more going on here than Eroica not supporting their Non-Euro events very well. Cino is struggling with numbers as well, and this is Cycle Oregons last year!

On a side note, a ride that I thought could be the next local Eroica style vintage event was the Dalles Mtn 60. It was held in March or April in the Gorge with a mix of gravel and paved roads, no entry fee, no support and several hundred riders participated. That one too seems to have gone away. Too bad! It was a great event.
Didn't know about Cycle Oregon, found an article from yesterday.

"Cycle Oregon organizers cited rising costs and lack of interest from riders, vendors and volunteers as some of the reasons....(Ride director) Schulz said the classic, which once attracted up to 2,000 riders annually, has become harder to put on post pandemic as rural communities work to recover. Many of the medical, sanitation and assorted service providers are no longer in business, forcing Cycle Oregon to shoulder the majority of the support services.Organizers have faced additional strain in recent years, as the threat of wildfires has necessitated the planning of a main route and a backup route."

Yeah, I think you're right. It ain't just the organizers. I did the Monster Cookie metric century with @johnnyace and @Andy_K ride out of Salem a few weeks ago, attendance was much lower than years past. Signs of the times.

On the other hand, I've had an upswing on the number of people interested in the credit card tours I've been putting together over the last few years.
Old 05-31-23, 10:39 AM
Gary12000 

Bikes: '71 Raleigh Inter, '98 Tommasini, '83 Trek 500, 83 Trek 720 '

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 118 Post(s)
Liked 199 Times in 110 Posts
convergence of factors

Originally Posted by repechage
yes, Cino endured a change of… “promoter?”
disorganizer, as it was planned but not at the onset.
this might be a hiccup of the times, demographics, pandemic emergence, inflation pinch, or just a convergence of factors.

time will tell.
I think that's the nail on the head... Lack of focus at HQ in Italy might also be a thing, the lack of communication speaks volumes to me, and was what happened in the UK, which was moved from the Northern part of the UK to the south very near to my hometown of Bognor Regis in West Sussex and slated to be organized at Goodwood, which is a fantastic venue, they know how to put on an event, if anyone has heard of "The Goodwood Revival" i went a few years ago and it was epic. There were lots of naysayers in the UK bike community about the move and i spent a good few posts defending Goodwood, some people bought in, got hotels, organized time off, camping on site, i had hoped to meet an old Air Force buddy and do it together but i never registered and was slow rolling the decision and was not going to go, then it was cancelled with very very short notice of cancellation, and no one even knew how to get their money back, and of course registration costs were only part of the refund process of total costs and deposits.
lets hope the CA event actually goes on and it doesn't get cancelled like the UK, we will go regardless as its our vacation for this year, what with booked flights, hotels and a rental van i'm boots deep already ..
Likes For Gary12000:
Old 05-31-23, 10:45 AM
Andy_K 

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 525 Post(s)
Quoted: 3230 Post(s)
Liked 3,868 Times in 1,439 Posts

If I'm not mistaken, the Dalles Mountain 60 went through some private land without the approval of the owners. It was likely killed by its own popularity. A similar group of people used to "organize" the Oregon Perry Roubaix ride every year, and it would fill up the Oak Knolls Gold Club parking lot in February (with permission in that case). I'm not sure why that one died out. It's still one of my favorite routes, and I liked the people who rode it.

On a side note, any time someone invites me to ride a route that has been publicized by Our Mother the Mountain, I assume they're trying to kill me. Those guys make some hard routes.
Old 05-31-23, 11:20 AM
Bad Lag

Bikes: 1974 Bob Jackson - Nuovo Record, Brooks Pro, Clips & Straps

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1104 Post(s)
Liked 794 Times in 452 Posts
I felt I was derailing the thread and was being overly negative in my reading of the posts. I now see I was reading them correctly. It also seems there is more to it than just the Eroica problems.

The entire concept of large, organized bike rides just isn't consistent with how I participate in bicycling most of the time.

Cambria is such a nice place to visit, we will likely go later this year. We always ride bikes while there - ours or rentals.

Last edited by Bad Lag; 05-31-23 at 11:05 PM.
Likes For Bad Lag:
Old 05-31-23, 01:18 PM
Classtime 

Bikes: 82 Medici, 2011 Richard Sachs, 2011 Milwaukee Road

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Quoted: 1948 Post(s)
Liked 2,010 Times in 1,109 Posts
I had to google Our Mother The Mountain. Bookmarked. And I might not fish at all during my next trip up there.
Old 05-31-23, 03:19 PM
1989Pre 
Standard Member

Bikes: 1948 P. Barnard & Son, 1962 Rudge Sports, 1963 Freddie Grubb Routier, 1980 Manufrance Hirondelle, 1983 F. Moser Sprint, 1989 Raleigh Technium Pre, 2001 Raleigh M80

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1297 Post(s)
Liked 940 Times in 490 Posts
Originally Posted by Gary12000
I think that's the nail on the head... Lack of focus at HQ in Italy might also be a thing, the lack of communication speaks volumes to me, and was what happened in the UK, which was moved from the Northern part of the UK to the south very near to my hometown of Bognor Regis in West Sussex and slated to be organized at Goodwood, which is a fantastic venue, they know how to put on an event, if anyone has heard of "The Goodwood Revival" i went a few years ago and it was epic. There were lots of naysayers in the UK bike community about the move and i spent a good few posts defending Goodwood, some people bought in, got hotels, organized time off, camping on site, i had hoped to meet an old Air Force buddy and do it together but i never registered and was slow rolling the decision and was not going to go, then it was cancelled with very very short notice of cancellation, and no one even knew how to get their money back, and of course registration costs were only part of the refund process of total costs and deposits.
lets hope the CA event actually goes on and it doesn't get cancelled like the UK, we will go regardless as its our vacation for this year, what with booked flights, hotels and a rental van i'm boots deep already ..
I was eager to attend (and registered for) Eroica Britannia at Goodwood. South London, Kent and Sussex has such a rich cycling history. It seems it was the epi-center of competitive cycling in Britain. It sounded like a great time would have been had. I do think it would be easier for all if Eroica CA scooched over to Monterey, so out-of-staters can fly right in, but I hope the organizers of that event can learn from past mistakes in Britain.
Old 05-31-23, 08:00 PM
Manny66 

Bikes: 1973 Colnago Super, Litespeed Classic , Automoto , Pinarello Gavia TSX,Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra,Eddy Merckx EMX-5 , 1982 Moser SL, Concorde TSX, Vitus 979 KAS. Diamant SLX,60's Meteor

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 235 Post(s)
Liked 947 Times in 327 Posts
Due to the several cancellations,,I attended the pre-Fauxroica,,The Fauxroica, and finally last years L'Eroica events. With all the delays ,I didnt expect much from any of them and so I guess my expectations were exceedingly well met. Im a die Hard Vintage steel rider so any meeting with like minded individuals is always sure to be a great time. I really enjoyed putting faces to the screen names of the BF riders I got a chance to meet last year. So I was really hoping last years growing pains for the L'Eroica were going to lead to a much better organized future Event for all involved,, boy was I wrong.

From what Im reading, a California Vintage ride organized by Local people would probably be more of a success than one "organized" (hahaha,no pun intended) by a group making decisions an ocean away. Would it have the same "Vintage Prestige",,I doubt it, would anybody really care,,I doubt it again.

In the meantime, I'll get my vintage "fix" at this saturdays Rose Bowl ride and the Baylis,the Hurlow/Carlsbad , or the San Dimas ride.

Keeping my fingers crossed for Cambria guys !
Likes For Manny66:
Old 05-31-23, 08:20 PM
Kabuki12

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 874 Post(s)
Liked 2,287 Times in 1,278 Posts
Manny, it was great to meet you and I look forward to seeing you….if it happens. I am a bit conflicted as to how I feel about recent cancellations of the concourse and the swap but I would really like a decent turn out. I am thinking this may be our last E.C. I missed meeting you at my only trip down to the B.B.B.R. last year. I think it was rare that you happened to miss that weekend. It is a fantastic ride, I did ok until we got to the Strand . Joe
Likes For Kabuki12:
Old 05-31-23, 08:57 PM
Manny66 

Bikes: 1973 Colnago Super, Litespeed Classic , Automoto , Pinarello Gavia TSX,Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra,Eddy Merckx EMX-5 , 1982 Moser SL, Concorde TSX, Vitus 979 KAS. Diamant SLX,60's Meteor

Originally Posted by Kabuki12
Manny, it was great to meet you and I look forward to seeing you….if it happens. I am a bit conflicted as to how I feel about recent cancellations of the concourse and the swap but I would really like a decent turn out. I am thinking this may be our last E.C. I missed meeting you at my only trip down to the B.B.B.R. last year. I think it was rare that you happened to miss that weekend. It is a fantastic ride, I did ok until we got to the Strand . Joe
Absoloutely feel the same way about meeting you guys ! Those socks were something.

I agree ,The Strand will surely test your mettle, and lactic acid build up capacity. It has gotten the best of me a few times, so you're in good company. If youre ever in the mood for the Rose Bowl ride, Come on down for the weekend,, we can cruise to the beach the day before.
Likes For Manny66:
Old 05-31-23, 10:27 PM
repechage

Mentioned: 130 Post(s)
Quoted: 3464 Post(s)
Liked 2,829 Times in 1,995 Posts
Originally Posted by Manny66
Due to the several cancellations,,I attended the pre-Fauxroica,,The Fauxroica, and finally last years L'Eroica events. With all the delays ,I didnt expect much from any of them and so I guess my expectations were exceedingly well met. Im a die Hard Vintage steel rider so any meeting with like minded individuals is always sure to be a great time. I really enjoyed putting faces to the screen names of the BF riders I got a chance to meet last year. So I was really hoping last years growing pains for the L'Eroica were going to lead to a much better organized future Event for all involved,, boy was I wrong.

From what Im reading, a California Vintage ride organized by Local people would probably be more of a success than one "organized" (hahaha,no pun intended) by a group making decisions an ocean away. Would it have the same "Vintage Prestige",,I doubt it, would anybody really care,,I doubt it again.

In the meantime, I'll get my vintage "fix" at this saturdays Rose Bowl ride and the Baylis,the Hurlow/Carlsbad , or the San Dimas ride.

Keeping my fingers crossed for Cambria guys !
is not the monthly rose bowl ride the first Sunday of the month?
Old 06-02-23, 07:28 PM
Manny66 

Originally Posted by repechage
is not the monthly rose bowl ride the first Sunday of the month?

Yes Sir.
Old 06-04-23, 03:50 PM
Vitma

Bikes: Emonda, 79/80 Colnago Super, early 80s Eddy Merckx, end 70/beginning 80s Somec Super Corsa, Santa Cruz Bronson

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked 63 Times in 34 Posts
Ok, so I am not the oddball here who has not heard back from the organizers, the whole event is in jeopardy. Quite sad as I enjoyed last years Eroica California.

Let's say this thing totally blows up and there will be no Eroica ride this September, could we just meet and ride the same routes? I assume the biggest challenge would be that some parts of the route was on private land and you would need a permission from the rancher. Is this true and does anyone know how to do this?
Likes For Vitma:
Old 06-04-23, 04:49 PM
tmnguuyen 

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 185 Post(s)
Liked 462 Times in 171 Posts
Originally Posted by Vitma
Ok, so I am not the oddball here who has not heard back from the organizers, the whole event is in jeopardy. Quite sad as I enjoyed last years Eroica California.

Let's say this thing totally blows up and there will be no Eroica ride this September, could we just meet and ride the same routes? I assume the biggest challenge would be that some parts of the route was on private land and you would need a permission from the rancher. Is this true and does anyone know how to do this?
Matthias, I hope the show will go on but I'm open to doing a self supported ride since i've already allocated the weekend for that and pre-arranged for lodging. I've done pretty much the same Lucia route with a bunch of friends in summer of 2020 and there were no problem with restrictions on roads. We started in Morro Bay instead of Cambria on that ride however. Since most places were closed then we stopped at a Trader Joe's in Templeton for lunch and rode the rest in record heat. Water was an issue then but it should be better with a lot more place opened for business. Meanwhile, keep riding to stay in shape....

Last edited by tmnguuyen; 06-04-23 at 06:59 PM.
Likes For tmnguuyen:
Old 06-06-23, 03:22 PM
Vitma

Bikes: Emonda, 79/80 Colnago Super, early 80s Eddy Merckx, end 70/beginning 80s Somec Super Corsa, Santa Cruz Bronson

Originally Posted by tmnguuyen
Matthias, I hope the show will go on but I'm open to doing a self supported ride since i've already allocated the weekend for that and pre-arranged for lodging. I've done pretty much the same Lucia route with a bunch of friends in summer of 2020 and there were no problem with restrictions on roads. We started in Morro Bay instead of Cambria on that ride however. Since most places were closed then we stopped at a Trader Joe's in Templeton for lunch and rode the rest in record heat. Water was an issue then but it should be better with a lot more place opened for business. Meanwhile, keep riding to stay in shape....
Hi Thanh. Nice to hear from you. Interesting, so the Santa Rita Creek Rd and the climb to Cypress Mountain are accessible without any [size=13px]restrictions[/size]. I hope too that Eroica California will take place but let's be prepared for some alternatives scenarios too.
Likes For Vitma:
Old 06-06-23, 05:30 PM
Oldairhead 
RUSA #3100

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 237 Post(s)
Liked 505 Times in 181 Posts
Originally Posted by Vitma
Let's say this thing totally blows up and there will be no Eroica ride this September, could we just meet and ride the same routes?
Well, local cycling promoter Cycle Central Coast has a catalogue of local rides which includes virtually every mile of the Eroica routes which are not on private land. They are quite active in promoting cycling in their region. When Eroica California finally bites the dust I'll bet that these guys will step up and try and keep the concept going. With enough outside input from members here they might even be willing to set aside a date for a self supported "event". It will be the best shot at keeping the flame alive at this location! Go to their website and look at the resource.
Old 06-24-23, 09:16 AM
Oldairhead 
RUSA #3100

I just saw this post on another site about Eroica California

"the event has new ownership this year"

Has anybody else heard this? It could either be a good or a bad thing!
Old 06-24-23, 09:24 AM
Robvolz 

Bikes: several Eddy Merz (ride like Eddy, braze like Jim!)

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 1083 Post(s)
Liked 1,814 Times in 661 Posts
Italy and Germany are advertised on the site. I don't even see California.
Old 06-24-23, 10:11 AM
Reynolds 531 

Bikes: a few that I can't recall

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 343 Post(s)
Liked 300 Times in 146 Posts
Originally Posted by Robvolz
Italy and Germany are advertised on the site. I don't even see California.
I see it by direct link, I don't know about clicking from "eroica home page"

https://eroica.cc/en/california/regi...ica-california

But, having seen the lack of interest from Italians, maybe a "new ownership" is a good thing.

Last edited by Reynolds 531; 06-24-23 at 10:16 AM.
Old 06-24-23, 12:29 PM
Vitma

Originally Posted by Reynolds 531
I see it by direct link, I don't know about clicking from "eroica home page"

https://eroica.cc/en/california/regi...ica-california

But, having seen the lack of interest from Italians, maybe a "new ownership" is a good thing.
At this point, I count this as a sign that the event might happen and that’s a good thing.
Old 06-24-23, 02:48 PM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

Bikes: old ones

Mentioned: 304 Post(s)
Quoted: 26410 Post(s)
Liked 10,376 Times in 7,204 Posts
Originally Posted by Manny66

...there's this whole thread: Sacramento Area C&V Rides on third Saturday Beginning in September
These are till going on. I rode on the last one for the leg from Sunrise, down to East Sac. It was surprisingly well attended.

We have a lot of interesting riding routes here, besides the American River. The Delta area down near Clarksburg ought to draw more cycling tourism than it does now.
Old 06-24-23, 03:26 PM
Classtime 

Bikes: 82 Medici, 2011 Richard Sachs, 2011 Milwaukee Road

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Quoted: 1948 Post(s)
Liked 2,010 Times in 1,109 Posts
Oldairhead where is this info posted?
Old 06-24-23, 05:13 PM
Oldairhead 
RUSA #3100

Originally Posted by Classtime
Oldairhead where is this info posted?
I'm seeing it on the Cycle Central Coast Facebook page. They have replied to a comment of mine with additional information. They now say that it's owned(?) by a resident of SLO along with an unknown Italian partner.

https://www.facebook.com/cyclecentralcoast
Old 06-24-23, 05:21 PM
Kilroy1988 

Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Quoted: 981 Post(s)
Liked 1,844 Times in 609 Posts
Considering the fact that Eroica California still an official L'Eroica event and that the main global website still has the registration page set up for it, whether or not there are new investors/owners involved it is definitely not going to be a completely new event for 2023. Maybe things will change next year. This year I can still get a student discount and the ride is on the same day as my anniversary, so I'll only do the short route again so that I can spend the afternoon with my wife.

-Gregory
Old 06-25-23, 12:23 AM
Brad L 

Bikes: Several

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 207 Post(s)
Liked 1,042 Times in 322 Posts
Well, I had another chunk of skin removed (1" dia. x 3/8" deep) on the 8th and will be getting yet another round of radiation to make sure it's gone. Between this, the current heat wave keeping my rides short (<40 miles), and the uncertainty of EC, I'll simply bring a nice bike and ride the short route. I rode Santa Lucia last year, and if this is the last year for EC, the ride along the coast will be memorable. Either way, I'll be there unless my health gets in the way again.
Likes For Brad L:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.