Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets
Reload this Page >

ultralight flashing headlight just to be seen?

Search
Notices
Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets HRM, GPS, MP3, HID. Whether it's got an acronym or not, here's where you'll find discussions on all sorts of tools, toys and gadgets.

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-23, 03:15 PM
hankj
Still trying

Bikes: Cutthroat, ti hardtail, town ebike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 11 Posts

No real need to illuminate the road ahead. I'll be bike touring in Europe in the height of summer and will benefit from daylight +-17 hours a day. I do though LOVE to ride daylight hours with a front flasher. Traffic and oncoming riders really notice me more, feels much safer.

At home I do this with my Nightrider lights, but they are much heavier than I want to travel with, great for wintertime Seattle but otherwise overkill for CC touring.

SO: do you know a little small lightweight flashing front light I should look at? Reliable good. USB recharge for sure please, versatile mounting not a strictly required but would be nice. 30-80 grams would be sweet.

Thank you!
Old 05-29-23, 03:49 PM
Ogsarg

Bikes: 2019 Specialized Roubaix Comp Di2, 2009 Roubaix, early 90's Giant Iguana

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 642 Post(s)
Liked 1,526 Times in 551 Posts
Bontrager Ion 200 RT. Roughly a 1" cube, weighs practically nothing, has a good daytime flash mode, and will last many hours. Standard USB rechargeable.
Likes For Ogsarg:
Old 05-29-23, 04:29 PM
hankj
Still trying

Bikes: Cutthroat, ti hardtail, town ebike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 11 Posts
Originally Posted by Ogsarg
Bontrager Ion 200 RT. Roughly a 1" cube, weighs practically nothing, has a good daytime flash mode, and will last many hours. Standard USB rechargeable.
thank you! On my short list.

Anybody have an opinion of the Ion 200 RT vs the Cygolite Dice HL 150? The latter is about half the price at similar weight, but I'm happy enough to spring for the former if it is better/higher quality.

thank you
Old 05-30-23, 12:04 PM
Barry2 
LR÷P=HR

Bikes: 1981 Holdsworth Special, 1993 C-dale MT3000 & 1996 F700CAD3, 2018 Cervelo R3 & 2022 R5, JustGo Runt, Ridley Oval, Kickr Bike 8-)

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 865 Post(s)
Liked 1,201 Times in 692 Posts
I have a pair of Knog Lil Cobber.
They are programmable so I've cut down the flash rate to extend the battery life and removed all the flash modes I've no interest in.

Barry
Old 06-01-23, 04:30 AM
t2p

Bikes: Cannondale - Gary Fisher - Giant - Litespeed - Schwinn Paramount - Schwinn (lugged steel) - Trek OCLV

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1397 Post(s)
Liked 1,874 Times in 1,078 Posts

we use Lezyne Femto Drive lights ; they weigh around 30g

typically keep one or two on the bikes during fall thru spring months

and will add a Knog Plug (65g) or similar when more light required for tunnels etc

first / top picture above shows bikes with both lights installed / lit (Lezyne Femto Drive and Knog Plug)

Last edited by t2p; 06-01-23 at 04:36 AM.
Old 06-01-23, 10:07 AM
blacknbluebikes 

Bikes: two blacks, a blue and a white.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 445 Post(s)
Liked 846 Times in 410 Posts
Some of the lezynes also run in a "swell" mode rather than a sharp flash (eg 800XL). Much easier on the eyes of the drivers. Also, doesn't Germany have a "no flash" law ?
Old 06-01-23, 01:18 PM
tcs
Palmer

Bikes: Mike Melton custom, Alex Moulton AM, Dahon Curl

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 1661 Post(s)
Liked 1,815 Times in 1,055 Posts
The CatEye Orb Rechargeable just misses your 30~80g requirement, coming in at 25g.

https://www.cateye.com/intl/products.../SL-LD160RC-F/

The Planet Bike Spok 50 USB is another 25g flashing headlamp.

https://www.planetbike.com/spok-50-usb-bike-head-light/
Old 06-03-23, 08:59 AM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 2238 Post(s)
Liked 3,429 Times in 1,793 Posts
Originally Posted by hankj
thank you! On my short list.

Anybody have an opinion of the Ion 200 RT vs the Cygolite Dice HL 150? The latter is about half the price at similar weight, but I'm happy enough to spring for the former if it is better/higher quality.

thank you
I've used both (well, a slightly different Cygolite). Cygolite is generally extremely good and best bang for your buck. I am using the 200 RT right now, mainly because I am a geek and have it connected to my Garmin. It is adequate, but not exceptional. I do a lot of daytime riding under redwood canopies, and it is ideal for those conditions.

I just looked up the Dice. The web page says "DayLightning® Triple (3x) Flash: 24 hrs" If true, that is FAR better than my Bontrager light.

Last edited by Polaris OBark; 06-03-23 at 09:04 AM.
Old 06-04-23, 08:01 AM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Bikes: 15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, 76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, 17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, 12 Breezer Venturi, 09 Dahon Mariner, 12 Mercier Nano, 95 DeKerf Team SL, 19 Tern Rally, 21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, 19 T-Lab X3, 91 Serotta CII, 23 3T Strada

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 3133 Post(s)
Liked 1,700 Times in 1,027 Posts
My absolute favorite lights in this category are the Specialized Stix lights. They’re sleek, low-profile, and extremely versatile…more so than any other light I’ve seen. Specialized did an outstanding job with mount options, so that you can put a Stix almost anywhere on your bike or person.

I don’t know the weight of the current model, but it’s featherweight. It has a good variety of modes, too, with variable intensity options in steady, pulse, and all flash modes. It also has mode memory, so it returns on to your previously used mode after being switched off.

On two of my bikes, I run the seatpost mount flipped upside down under the stem, which tucks the light discreetly out of the way. On another bike, I use the all-weather DuoTec “velcro” to stick Stix directly to the headtube, and it works great; secure, out of the way, and easy as pie.

I reckon the headset mount as I do it— Specialized do offer a replacement headset spacer with integrated mount, if you prefer— requires about 15mm of stack:

Likes For chaadster:
Old 06-05-23, 07:46 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4347 Post(s)
Liked 3,984 Times in 2,661 Posts
PLEASE DO NOT FLASH YOUR LIGHTS! You are not an emergency vehicle and are not in emergency. Just use a solid front light like all other standard users of the road. When you flash lights I literally have to close one eye and look away from the road or path I am on. There is no way you can claim they are safer as a fellow road user on a bicycle has to look away and close an eye which IS NOT SAFE. If you are absolutely dead set on creating a dangerous situation like as described find the lowest lumen light with the worst beam pattern and with the absolute warmest light possible or maybe even a rear light and point it at the ground.

In Germany they do not permit flashing lights they use a very smart system/law called StVZO which calls for solid front lights with a nice cut off so it doesn't blind other road users. It is fantastic and very smart for others to use.
Likes For veganbikes:
Old 06-05-23, 08:59 PM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Bikes: 15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, 76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, 17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, 12 Breezer Venturi, 09 Dahon Mariner, 12 Mercier Nano, 95 DeKerf Team SL, 19 Tern Rally, 21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, 19 T-Lab X3, 91 Serotta CII, 23 3T Strada

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 3133 Post(s)
Liked 1,700 Times in 1,027 Posts
Originally Posted by veganbikes
PLEASE DO NOT FLASH YOUR LIGHTS! You are not an emergency vehicle and are not in emergency. Just use a solid front light like all other standard users of the road. When you flash lights I literally have to close one eye and look away from the road or path I am on. There is no way you can claim they are safer as a fellow road user on a bicycle has to look away and close an eye which IS NOT SAFE. If you are absolutely dead set on creating a dangerous situation like as described find the lowest lumen light with the worst beam pattern and with the absolute warmest light possible or maybe even a rear light and point it at the ground.

In Germany they do not permit flashing lights they use a very smart system/law called StVZO which calls for solid front lights with a nice cut off so it doesn't blind other road users. It is fantastic and very smart for others to use.
That ship has sailed…
Likes For chaadster:
Old 06-06-23, 09:43 PM
daihard 
Just a person on bike

Bikes: 2015 Trek 1.1, 2021 Specialized Roubaix, 2022 Tern HSD S+

Quoted: 132 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 56 Posts
My CatEye heaglight includes a mode they call "hyper-constant," which is a steady light with additional flashing. So instead of toggling between ON and OFF, it stays ON but adds an extra flash every second (or so).

Flashing headlights are prohibited except for emergency vehicles where I live, too, but I've always been wondering about the legality of this type of lighting mode. Is it still considered a flashing light, or since it's "always on," is it a steady light?

The value of your life doesn't change based on the way you travel. - Dawn Schellenberg (SDOT)
Old 06-08-23, 12:20 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Originally Posted by daihard
My CatEye heaglight includes a mode they call "hyper-constant," which is a steady light with additional flashing. So instead of toggling between ON and OFF, it stays ON but adds an extra flash every second (or so).

Flashing headlights are prohibited except for emergency vehicles where I live, too, but I've always been wondering about the legality of this type of lighting mode. Is it still considered a flashing light, or since it's "always on," is it a steady light?
It is a flashing light it is still problematic. Legal or not legal it is still dangerous. I know that setting and I still have to look away and close an eye and do my best to avoid it. I would assume if flashing lights are prohibited they are are prohibited. It is not just a constant on but a flashing on.
Old 06-08-23, 05:18 PM
daihard 
Just a person on bike

Bikes: 2015 Trek 1.1, 2021 Specialized Roubaix, 2022 Tern HSD S+

Quoted: 132 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 56 Posts
It is a flashing light it is still problematic. Legal or not legal it is still dangerous. I know that setting and I still have to look away and close an eye and do my best to avoid it. I would assume if flashing lights are prohibited they are are prohibited. It is not just a constant on but a flashing on.
Just curious, do you have to avoid such lights any time of the day, or are you more tolerant of it in the daytime? I'm asking because I've read studies that indicate flashing (and by extension hyper-constant / pulsing) lights make you more visible than steady lights in the daytime. I use my headlight and taillight any time I ride, and I use the hyper-constant mode whenever I ride with or next to vehicular traffic. When I ride on trails, I use the low steady mode (i.e. 200 lumen). FWIW, I use a brighter headlight in high steady mode (800) when riding at night.

The value of your life doesn't change based on the way you travel. - Dawn Schellenberg (SDOT)

Last edited by daihard; 06-08-23 at 05:23 PM.
Old 06-08-23, 05:23 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Originally Posted by daihard
Just curious, do you have to avoid such lights any time of the day, or are you more tolerant of it in the daytime? I'm asking because I've read studies that indicate flashing (and by extension hyper-constant / pulsing) lights make you more visible than steady lights in the daytime. I use my headlights and taillights any time I ride, and I use the hyper-constant mode whenever I ride with or next to vehicular traffic. When I ride on trails, I use the low steady mode (i.e. 200 lumen).
I look away just about any time of day or night. Sometimes people have really weak lights which are a bit harder to see so it is slightly less bothersome and an even less useful light. I have decent vision and I don't get seizures or anything like that but those flashers of any variant will have their effect on my eyes.

I will say I probably encounter more flashing during the day on some rides but that is usually due to more people being out.
Likes For veganbikes: