Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Hybrid Bicycles
Reload this Page >

Giant Escape Thread

Notices
Hybrid Bicycles Where else would you go to discuss these fun, versatile bikes?

Giant Escape Thread

Old 05-13-22, 02:41 PM
twc64

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Glad to see so many Giant Escape owners.I just purchased the Escape 2 disc and love it.Years back I had a Roam.
Old 08-14-22, 06:39 AM
Brocephus
Professional amateur

Bikes: Does a Big Wheel count ?

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 302 Post(s)
Liked 136 Times in 92 Posts
Hey guys, new (old) Escape 1 owner here. I recently lucked into nice deal on a clean, very low miles 2013 model, via my local FB Marketplace. So far,I'm really digging it. The wheels were true, all gears shifted perfectly, and there wasnt a speck of rust anywhere on it, so I think the guy barely rode it, (as he said), then probably parked it in a bedroom.
I immediately lubed the dry chain, and other stuff, then that evening serviced the hubs, then the headset. Then I installed a longer, set-back seat post and a more comfortable saddle, both from my parts stash.
This model has old school V brakes,which I actually prefer. Also, but for the KMC chain (which are great,and all I've used for years), the entire drive train is Shimano (mostly Alivio), even parts that are often substituted with cheaper Suntour,Sunrace,or generic no-name stuff (like the crank,BB, or cassette). It looked like later years were virtually identical bikes, but usually had disc brakes, and a few substituted Shimano parts.
Anyway, I've often had bad luck with house-brand wheels and spokes, and in cases like this. typically hunt down something not too expensive that at least has Shimano hubs,and DT spokes, but now that I've battled my way down to under 180 lbs, I'm thinking (and have been advised) that the stock wheels should be fine for at least a few years. ( so any commentary on the Giant-branded stock wheels from other Escape owners is welcome).
Also, I messaged recently with another member here, who used to work in a bike shop, and said that the Escapes came back with various problems,more than any other budget bike. Again,any experienced-based commentary on that is welcome,and appreciated. I've got a set of bike tools and have done most of my own wrenching for years, and have some spare parts, so I can handle many of the typical issues, but I'd like to hear from fellow Escape owners.
thanks........

Last edited by Brocephus; 08-14-22 at 05:39 PM.
Likes For Brocephus:
Old 08-15-22, 06:15 AM
hokiefyd 

Bikes: More bikes than riders

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1443 Post(s)
Liked 759 Times in 568 Posts
LIke that color blue, Brocephus. Great looking bike. I'm 240 pounds and have never had a wheel problem on any bike I've owned. I've had several Giants in particular, with house brand hubs and house brand rims, and all rode fine. I used to own a 2019 Roam and the local bike shop replaced both the bottom bracket and the rear wheel assembly (rear wheel due to a noisy freehub). I think those are things that going to show up early on in ownship and, if they're still original on your Escape, they'll likely be fine for a long time.
Likes For hokiefyd:
Old 08-24-22, 08:56 AM
Cornchips

Bikes: Giant Escape 3 (2018), Giant Roam 3 (2021), Specialized Sirrus X 3.0 (2022)

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked 130 Times in 66 Posts
Originally Posted by Brocephus
Also, I messaged recently with another member here, who used to work in a bike shop, and said that the Escapes came back with various problems,more than any other budget bike. Again,any experienced-based commentary on that is welcome,and appreciated. I've got a set of bike tools and have done most of my own wrenching for years, and have some spare parts, so I can handle many of the typical issues, but I'd like to hear from fellow Escape owners.
thanks........
I bought a entry-level Escape pre-Covid in 2019. Done plenty of miles on it since and have never had a problem. The gears are now starting to 'slip' under pressure, but that would be down to normal wear and tear of the componentry rather than any mechanical shortcoming off the bike itself. Overall, I've been pretty impressed, but wished I had of bought a higher-end model, as the bladed fork gives a fairly rough ride on all but the most smoothest of surfaces.
Likes For Cornchips:
Old 08-24-22, 02:30 PM
Brocephus
Professional amateur

Bikes: Does a Big Wheel count ?

Quoted: 302 Post(s)
Liked 136 Times in 92 Posts
Originally Posted by Cornchips
I bought a entry-level Escape pre-Covid in 2019. Done plenty of miles on it since and have never had a problem. The gears are now starting to 'slip' under pressure, but that would be down to normal wear and tear of the componentry rather than any mechanical shortcoming off the bike itself. Overall, I've been pretty impressed, but wished I had of bought a higher-end model, as the bladed fork gives a fairly rough ride on all but the most smoothest of surfaces.
thanks for the replies,guys. From what I've read, old grease in shifters can clog the mechanism, and be brought back to life by flushing the insides with WD40. I've had success with this more than once with mid-grade mtn shifters I thought were going bad.
I got lucky with this bike in several ways. Previous years were 8 speed, (as I may have mentioned, I'm a fan of 9 speed, and have some spare chains and stuff) and the next 5 years or so, the bikes were almost identical,but they dropped the shifters and RD down 2 levels to Altus (my bike has Alivio). I know Alivio ain't nothing to crow about, but I had several bikes with it years back, that all gave surprisingly good service, and I'm real happy with this one,so far.
I havent noticed any ride harshness with this straight (carbon) fork, but as you mentioned, I'm riding on reasonably smooth roads (though, when I was about to buy it, I was kinda hoping it had the more sturdy steel fork some of these seem to have had).
Anyway, thanks again for the reply....

Last edited by Brocephus; 08-24-22 at 02:34 PM.
Old 02-10-23, 06:28 AM
BlueIrlDave

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Seat suspension compatable with D-Fuse seatpost

Hi,
I have a Giant Escape 0 2021, and I am wondering is there some way to add suspension to the seat?

The Escape 0 has a D-Fuse seatpost, so the usual contenders like the Cane Creek eeSilk seatpost
are not compatible with the Escape 0.

Does anyone know of a different type of seat suspension that might work?

Thanks in advance,
Dave
Old 02-10-23, 06:57 AM
RB1-luvr
I don't know.

Bikes: '90 B'stone RB-1, '92 B'stone RB-2, '89 SuperGo Access Comp, '03 Access 69er, '23 Trek 520, '14 Ritchey Road Logic, '09 Kestrel Evoke, '08 Windsor Tourist, '17 Surly Wednesday, '89 Centurion Accordo, '15 CruX, '17 Ridley X-Night, '89 Marinoni

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 314 Post(s)
Liked 850 Times in 444 Posts
First time being aware of these bikes. They are nice. Do people tour on them?
Old 02-10-23, 06:09 PM
Cornchips

Bikes: Giant Escape 3 (2018), Giant Roam 3 (2021), Specialized Sirrus X 3.0 (2022)

Originally Posted by RB1-luvr
First time being aware of these bikes. They are nice. Do people tour on them?
They are nice bikes, but you would probably want something a little more heavy duty for touring. They are more suited to commuting.
Likes For Cornchips:
Old 02-18-23, 10:26 AM
lasauge 
Pedalin' Erry Day

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 755 Post(s)
Liked 366 Times in 197 Posts
Originally Posted by BlueIrlDave
Hi,
I have a Giant Escape 0 2021, and I am wondering is there some way to add suspension to the seat?

The Escape 0 has a D-Fuse seatpost, so the usual contenders like the Cane Creek eeSilk seatpost
are not compatible with the Escape 0.

Does anyone know of a different type of seat suspension that might work?

Thanks in advance,
Dave
There is not a suspension D-fuse post available, so I'd look at saddles with springs if you want suspension there.
Old 02-19-23, 09:49 AM
RoadWearier

Quoted: 370 Post(s)
Liked 107 Times in 74 Posts
Can any Escape owners comment on how but compares to a Trek FX? Specifically an 2008ish FX3? I was going to look at an escape as the seller seems to think it's a step up
Old 02-19-23, 06:19 PM
Cornchips

Originally Posted by RoadWearier
Can any Escape owners comment on how but compares to a Trek FX? Specifically an 2008ish FX3? I was going to look at an escape as the seller seems to think it's a step up
I believe the Giant Escape and Trek FX are essentially the same bike. Typically you will get slightly higher priced specs on a Giant than a Trek at the same price point due to economies of scale, mass production, etc...

And obviously, comparing a brand new Escape to a 2008 FX isn't really a fair comparison, the newer bike will presumably have been ridden less and have much more modern components. But if they're from the same year, they're essentially the same bike.

Last edited by Cornchips; 02-19-23 at 06:23 PM.
Likes For Cornchips:
Old 02-20-23, 07:14 AM
Spacemaster

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
I like Specialized geometry more, compared to Trek, Giant etc
Old 02-24-23, 02:42 AM
BlueIrlDave

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by lasauge
There is not a suspension D-fuse post available, so I'd look at saddles with springs if you want suspension there.
Thanks Lasauge! I will search for some saddles with springs and check reviews
Old 02-24-23, 08:32 AM
smasha
Vegan on a bicycle

Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 22 Posts
I recently picked up a well used, mud covered, 2022 “Cross City [aka Escape] 2 Disc Equipped”. My plan is to strip it down to frame and fork, and re-build it from there (3x10 drive-train, GRX brake calipers, Schwalbe tires…). I'll post some pictures as it goes.

For now, my concern is how well this will work with a front rack (Tubus Tara?). Pictured is the drive-side front fork, pictured from the front, looking towards the rear. There's a pan-head bolt in the eyelet, just above the dropout and QR skewer-nut. The top of the bolt-head is pressed against the fork, but there's a gap between the bottom of the bolt-head and the fork. The bolt & eyelet are parallel to the skewer, but the face of the eyelet is not perpendicular to that. A bolt/washer/spacer/rack-flange can't sit flush with the fork and perpendicular to the bolt. Same thing on both sides of the fork.

What is up with this? What were they thinking? Is there a good way to install a low-rider rack on this fork? Should I just pretend that the surface around the eyelet is perpendicular to the bolt? Should I at least use nylon washers against the fork and the bolt-head?

Last edited by smasha; 02-24-23 at 08:47 AM.
Old 02-24-23, 04:45 PM
travbikeman

Bikes: State 4130 Custom, Giant Trance 29

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 422 Post(s)
Liked 182 Times in 123 Posts
Is this the hole that you have the screw in? I ask, cause that looks more like a drainage hole. Typically a hole meant for screws are bolstered more like what the picture below sort of shows for the fender connections.

Old 02-24-23, 04:47 PM
travbikeman

Better pic:

Old 02-24-23, 05:14 PM
GeezyRider 

Bikes: There is always room for one more.

Quoted: 183 Post(s)
Liked 380 Times in 222 Posts
Originally Posted by travbikeman
Is this the hole that you have the screw in? I ask, cause that looks more like a drainage hole. Typically a hole meant for screws are bolstered more like what the picture below sort of shows for the fender connections.

Yes, the drop out is an odd place for a mounting bolt. I have a couple of bikes with mounting bolts very close to but not in the drop out.

Last edited by GeezyRider; 02-24-23 at 05:18 PM.
Old 02-24-23, 05:26 PM
GeezyRider 

Bikes: There is always room for one more.

Quoted: 183 Post(s)
Liked 380 Times in 222 Posts
This bike has mounting holes close to the drop out. The center hole below is NOT threaded

Last edited by GeezyRider; 02-24-23 at 06:24 PM. Reason: add comment
Old 02-24-23, 07:09 PM
travbikeman

Seems like a nice bike though. Still doesn't seem like a drop out on it, and I haven't found any images showing anything inputted onto this fork in this manner. Am curious if smasha could show another image of his fork. Maybe a side image of it? Would be curious to see if prior owner enlarged the hole or something?

Old 02-24-23, 08:03 PM
smasha
Vegan on a bicycle

Originally Posted by travbikeman
Yes, that's the hole, but it's threaded, and not a drainage hole.

Manufacturer describes the fork as: “Alloy, rack mount, disc”

Close up showing threads -

On the inside of the fork, there's a drainage hole (circled in light blue) above the threaded eyelet (circled in green) -

Here's what the end of the fork looks like -

Likes For smasha:
Old 02-25-23, 02:00 AM
smasha
Vegan on a bicycle

I don't want to hijack this thread because of a poorly thought out fork eyelet. We can continue that discussion in Bicycle Mechanics - https://www.bikeforums.net/bicycle-m...ront-rack.html
Likes For smasha:
Old 03-02-23, 11:58 PM
smasha
Vegan on a bicycle

While I don't want to hijack this thread about the front-rack compatibility, this update from Giant seems worth sharing here. It kind of leaves me SOL. Seems like the front-racks are only properly compatible with steel fork versions of this bike.

Sucks for me, because I bought this with the intention of turning it into a city/grocery bike, with front and rear racks. After putting some time, effort, and money into customising it, it looks like I may be back to the drawing board.

Last edited by smasha; 03-03-23 at 01:36 AM.
Likes For smasha:
Old 05-30-23, 01:31 PM
Leamdav

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Has anyone upgraded the entire crankset? I just purchased the LTWOO A12 set and am probably going to convert to this 1x12 set up. i have added a Fizik seat and a power meter and BB bottom bracket as well.
Old 07-19-23, 01:41 PM
avidrider

Liked 9 Times in 6 Posts
Giant Escape Disc 1

Looks like this thread has not been addressed in a while, so I am vamping it up again. I am currently riding the 2022 Giant Escape Disc 1. For me, it is a wonderful hybrid (I have other hybrid bikes I have been riding for many years).

Of particular note, the 2022 Giant Escape Disc 1 comes stock with flat bars. However, over the last few years I have come to learn I am NOT a fan of flat bar. I prefer a touring handlebar (aka trekking, or butterfly bar). I find the multi-position butterfly bar provides me with varied positions of comfort when riding; with this style bar, I can ride upright, wide, or "arrow" when leaning forward on the front part of the bar.

Is anyone out there using a trekking/touring/butterfly bar instead of the stock straight bar that comes with the Escape? I have seen other Escapes on the road, but none with butterfly bars. Anyone out there other than me using butterfly bars on the Escape?

PS - I use my escape for fitness riding, and semi-touring "fun" rides on a the various "rails to trails" throughout Georgia and Florida, which can be 5 to 72 miles long, depending on the location.
Old 07-19-23, 01:49 PM
avidrider

Liked 9 Times in 6 Posts
FYI . . . I recently wanted to convert my son's Escape 3 post to a quick release clamp. The local bike shop (which specializes in Giant Bikes) sold me a clap that not only claps, but had fender/rack mount connections. You may want to ask your local bike shop if there is also a work around for your situation. It would not hurt to ask. I have to think you are not the first person to encounter this issue. I bet there is a solution out there!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.