Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Busted Bianchi...

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Busted Bianchi...

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-23, 11:49 AM
randyjawa 

Bikes: 1958 Rabeneick 120D, 1968 Legnano Gran Premio, 196? Torpado Professional, 2000 Marinoni Piuma

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1372 Post(s)
Liked 1,751 Times in 938 Posts
Busted Bianchi...

Well, I have been riding my Jamaica Bianchi for a few months now...

When I got to Jamaica, early last November, I found a busted, rusted and abused bike. Someone had borrowed the Bianchi in my two years absence (pandemic caution) from my winter ride. Broken rear axle, banged up brake lever and hoods, PVC tape over bar tape, flat tire, weather challenged saddle and a bit more to add to the situation...

Last time I came to Jamaica, I arrived to discover that someone had failed to install my pedals, damaging the threads on the drive side crank. Lucky for me, I found a crank (could be used as a solid steel boat anchor also) and installed it. Still there today and works just fine - sorta but ugly ugly ugly...

And, last time here, I broke a spoke in the rear wheel. Trued the wheel and touch it up, now and again - still rolling strong. Got it on the road, busted rear axle, missing spoke, mis-matched tires with 25mm on the back and 28mm on the front and all. I should add that I did not cheap out on the hubs...

Been out riding every day but with great care. If that axle fails completely - pooey stinko and down I go...
Old 03-18-23, 12:50 PM
dddd
Ride, Wrench, Swap, Race

Bikes: Cheltenham-Pedersen racer, Boulder F/S Paris-Roubaix, Varsity racer, '52 Christophe, '62 Continental, '92 Merckx, '75 Limongi, '76 Presto, '72 Gitane SC, '71 Schwinn SS, etc.

Mentioned: 132 Post(s)
Quoted: 1565 Post(s)
Liked 1,295 Times in 865 Posts
Almost sounds like you perhaps left it out for the public to do what they want with it?
I'm sure that you did your practical best when decisions were made having to do with it's storage!
Though I'm surprised that you ever saw it again!

Maybe or certainly there's a certain sort of respect over there for neighbor's belongings, just that it's acceptable to simply use/abuse the thing as might seem necessary.
So it got returned at least, and still quite "serviceable" in some sense of that word.

Obviously we/I have an incomplete picture of this neighborhood and it's inhabitants.
Old 03-18-23, 12:58 PM
kunsunoke 
spondylitis.org

Bikes: '84 Colnago Super; '90 Bridgestone MB-1; '81 Trek 930; '01 Cinelli Supercorsa; '62 Ideor Asso; '87 Tommasini Super Prestige; '13 Lynskey R2300; '84 Serotta Nova Special; '94 Litespeed Catalyst; etc.

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Liked 97 Times in 63 Posts
Looks like someone used the entire bike as a boat anchor, and more than once.

Did you ever get the axle fixed?
Old 03-18-23, 01:34 PM
tiger1964 

Bikes: Drysdale/Gitane/Zeus/Masi/Falcon/Palo Alto/Raleigh/Legnano

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 983 Post(s)
Liked 632 Times in 403 Posts
Gawd, where did you leave it -- Dunns River Falls?

Old 03-23-23, 11:33 AM
randyjawa 

Bikes: 1958 Rabeneick 120D, 1968 Legnano Gran Premio, 196? Torpado Professional, 2000 Marinoni Piuma

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Quoted: 1372 Post(s)
Liked 1,751 Times in 938 Posts
A friend stored the bike for me but loaned it to a mutual friend. The friend (no longer) damaged the Bianchi and gave it back to my buddy in rough shape.

Riding on a busted axle - no worries, the piece of coal that I shoved up my you know what should be a diamond soon, and that diamond can cover medical costs. I should add that I carefully ride slow (upper middle gear) and avoid bumps (that is a trick in Jamaica), If the axle fails, I hope what reaction and movement times I still possess are good enough to help me not fall.

Anyway, having a good time here and making plans for a full mechanical overhaul next year.
Old 03-24-23, 03:39 AM
Prowler 

Bikes: 2 Trek Mtn, Cannondale R600 road, 6 vintage road bikes

Mentioned: 83 Post(s)
Quoted: 472 Post(s)
Liked 1,028 Times in 404 Posts
Good to hear from you, Randy. I took my frankenbike on a car tour of New England, once, and rode several different trail/routes including the CCRT. I even rode the Airline trail which was packed dirt/gravel with ruts. When I got home I found a broken rear axle but the QR skewer had kept it all together nicely. Ignorance was bliss. You should be fine, with care. Like me, ride like an old man🤫