Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Hybrid Bicycles
Reload this Page >

Official Specialized Crosstrail owners thread

Notices
Hybrid Bicycles Where else would you go to discuss these fun, versatile bikes?

Official Specialized Crosstrail owners thread

Old 08-21-15, 07:01 AM
avidone1

Bikes: 2016 Specialized crosstrail comp disc

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by badger1
Thanks avidone1! I know what the specs say -- it's the reference to air fork in the 'features' description that has me curious!

Please don't take any trouble, but if you could be bothered you could easily check: one of your fork legs will have the lockout on top, the other will have either a turn dial for preload or removable top cap under which is a device to turn for preload (coil spring in either case) or it will have a removable top cap under which is an air valve (air spring). I'd be interested to know which. As I say, if it's a bother don't bother!
I checked, sort of....the right fork has a cable fitting on top that connects to the remote lockout on the handlebar. the left tube has a removable (?) cap on top but i tried taking it off and it was stubbornly refusing to let me do so. Sorry, I too would like to know whats under the "secret cap" but the mystery continues
Old 08-21-15, 08:58 AM
badger1

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1566 Post(s)
Liked 1,163 Times in 591 Posts
Originally Posted by avidone1
I checked, sort of....the right fork has a cable fitting on top that connects to the remote lockout on the handlebar. the left tube has a removable (?) cap on top but i tried taking it off and it was stubbornly refusing to let me do so. Sorry, I too would like to know whats under the "secret cap" but the mystery continues
Cheers avidone1! Thanks for taking the time; you are right ... don't force things! I/you/we will get an answer to this sooner or later.

FWIW, here's what the top of the left fork leg should normally look like (the damping cartridge/lockout is on the right, as you note):
https://www.srsuntour-cycling.com/fil...nglish-web.pdf

Page 9: air spring version has a cap you unscrew to get at the valve to adjust preload [air pressure]; Page 10: coil spring version has a knob you turn to adjust preload.
Old 08-22-15, 06:55 AM
avidone1

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
very interesting. If I remember to, I'll ask the LBS mechanic when I go in for an adjustment.
It should be noted that I do not see a spring preload adjustment knob anywhere on the fork.
Curiouser and curiouser.
Old 08-22-15, 06:45 PM
Mattyb13

Bikes: 2021 Specialized Tarmac Pro

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Would love some advice from the Crosstrail minded members of this forum. I went for a 25 mile ride today, I ran something over and BAM... both triggers flat! SO, with that said I need to invest in tires. I like the trigger. I am not against getting the Triggers again. However... is there another tire I should be considering. I am 90% paved bike paths with my Crosstrail Expert disc. The occasional dirt path or road. I know there are 1000 forums on tires but I wanted to check with the members of this forum first before I put it out there to the masses that read these forums. Thanks.
Old 08-22-15, 07:02 PM
Sunset_Va

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Mattyb13
Would love some advice from the Crosstrail minded members of this forum. I went for a 25 mile ride today, I ran something over and BAM... both triggers flat! SO, with that said I need to invest in tires. I like the trigger. I am not against getting the Triggers again. However... is there another tire I should be considering. I am 90% paved bike paths with my Crosstrail Expert disc. The occasional dirt path or road. I know there are 1000 forums on tires but I wanted to check with the members of this forum first before I put it out there to the masses that read these forums. Thanks.

I recently ordered some Michelin Protek Cross Max , excellent quality, and a commuter type tread. But sent them back ( which I will never do again--shipping costs are ridiculous), because they were very heavy. At least by my perspective. Ordered some Clement PDX tires today, but look up that Michelin tire I mentioned.
Old 08-22-15, 07:14 PM
travbikeman

Bikes: State 4130 Custom, Giant Trance 29

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 416 Post(s)
Liked 173 Times in 118 Posts
I too have been researching tires, I just recently had a flat due to a nail puncture. Biketiresdirect.com has a bunch of different tires with different treads to fit your needs. I too like the way the Michelin's look, but have noticed on bikesdirect the Michelins don't have the 700x38 which is the same size as our Triggers. They have either 700x35 or 700x40's.
Old 08-22-15, 07:46 PM
ColdCase

Bikes: Crosstrail Comp Disc

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have similar rides. My Schwalbe Marathon Almotions with lightweight tubes have been working very well and I like them better than the triggers. I dunno how they would hold up to the debris field you ran over. They are "flat resistant" but not "flat proof". Their speed rating is higher than most other Schwalble tires. They are lighter than the trigger tire/specialized tube combo and do roll quite a bit easier without giving up dirt and stone traction. They were sold out at the US site, so I got them from the Bike-Discount Shop (Germany) at less than half the $$ of the US site.

Last edited by ColdCase; 08-23-15 at 05:11 PM.
Old 08-22-15, 07:58 PM
avidone1

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by ColdCase
I have similar rides. My Schwalbe Marathon Almotions with lightweight tubes have been working very well and I like them better than the triggers. I dunno how they would hold up to the debris field you ran over. They are "flat resistant" but not "flat proof". Their speed rating is higher than most other Schwalble tires. They are lighter than the trigger tire/specialized tube combo. I got them from the Bike-Discount Shop (Germany).
I too am considering a tire upgrade. I ride mostly roads and I want something that will roll a little easier.
I have heard very good things about the Schwalbe marathons series but I'm looking at the racer. Looks very sleek and fast and comes in 700x38
Old 08-24-15, 07:44 PM
avidone1

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I'm not sure but it seems like there is a little travel in the fork when it is locked.
Has anyone else noticed this, or is it just my imagination?
Old 08-25-15, 12:38 AM
deviusdragger

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
you probably have to adjust the cable that locks the fork. make sure its locking it good
Old 08-25-15, 02:22 AM
badger1

I'm not sure but it seems like there is a little travel in the fork when it is locked.
Has anyone else noticed this, or is it just my imagination?
There should be a little travel when locked: "The fork is not locked 100%. A couple of millimetres of the suspension travel, the so-called “anti-blow-off system", remains."

Last edited by badger1; 08-25-15 at 02:26 AM.
Old 08-25-15, 06:19 AM
avidone1

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
There should be a little travel when locked: "The fork is not locked 100%. A couple of millimetres of the suspension travel, the so-called “anti-blow-off system", remains."
Thanks Badger, I thought so, but it was so slight I couldn't be certain. Truth be told I kinda like it. I only ride on roads and sidewalks (legal in Florida) so the need for a lot of suspension is minimal. But my arthritis appreciates the slight damping i'm getting from the forks. Now that I have my bike set up with a raised stem and ergon grips i'm spinning in comfort and style.
Old 08-25-15, 06:27 AM
ColdCase

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Isn't that feature only on some MTB forks where when someone forgets that their forks are locked they could get hurt, not the NCXi series on the Comp? I dunno.
Old 08-25-15, 07:12 AM
badger1

Isn't that feature only on some MTB forks where when someone forgets that their forks are locked they could get hurt, not the NCXi series on the Comp? I dunno.
I suspect (don't know for certain) that it would apply to any decent fork that uses hydraulic damping/lockout, rather than mechanical. There are lots of Suntour forks that use mechanical lockout -- they may or may not have some kind of minimal travel when locked out; don't know.

However, the ones on your bikes do use a hydraulic damper (sealed cartridge). That's one main reason they are so much better than the lower-end mechanical ones. The hydraulic ones pretty much have to have some kind of minimal travel even when fully locked to reduce the possibility of blowing the seals in the damping cartridge if you, say, inadvertently drop heavily off a highish curb with the fork locked out.

Last edited by badger1; 08-25-15 at 11:36 AM.
Old 08-25-15, 08:07 AM
ColonelSanders
Banned.

Bikes: 2017 Surly Troll with XT Drive Train, 2017 Merida Big Nine XT Edition, 2016 Giant Toughroad SLR 2, 1995 Trek 830

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 1916 Post(s)
Liked 310 Times in 218 Posts
Now that I have my bike set up with a raised stem and ergon grips i'm spinning in comfort and style.
Great to hear that the bike is to your liking.

You should post some pics.
Old 08-25-15, 10:30 AM
deviusdragger

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Interesting, the fork on my Comp maybe has 1 or 2mm of travel when locked.
Old 08-25-15, 11:10 AM
trainchaser

Bikes: my bikes: Old: 1965 Schwinn 10 speed, 72 Monshee 12 speed, 77 Norco 12 speed, 95 Trek 850, two Specialized Crosstrails, 2016 Specialized carbon Sirrus. New 2020 Trek FX1

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 14 Posts
...same thing on mine, as badger points out, I'm sure that is exactly how they're supposed to function, there's nothing wrong with them...enjoy your ride!
Old 08-25-15, 11:42 AM
avidone1

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by ColonelSanders
Great to hear that the bike is to your liking.

You should post some pics.
Your wish is my command O' poultry master
Old 08-25-15, 03:46 PM
ColonelSanders
Banned.

Bikes: 2017 Surly Troll with XT Drive Train, 2017 Merida Big Nine XT Edition, 2016 Giant Toughroad SLR 2, 1995 Trek 830

Your wish is my command O' poultry master
Ehhh that isn't showing up for me.
Old 08-25-15, 03:57 PM
avidone1

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Ehhh that isn't showing up for me.
How about now?

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
2016 crcomp.jpg (99.0 KB, 1302 views)
Old 08-25-15, 04:01 PM
ColonelSanders
Banned.

How about now?

Yep, thanks.

Can you take a pic which shows off the riser stem, please.
Old 08-25-15, 04:07 PM
avidone1

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Yep, thanks.

Can you take a pic which shows off the riser stem, please.
Absolutely! Coming soon to a theater near you.
Old 08-26-15, 10:06 AM
ColdCase

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by trainchaser
...same thing on mine, as badger points out, I'm sure that is exactly how they're supposed to function, there's nothing wrong with them...enjoy your ride!
Must be something wrong with mine, or perhaps there is an adjustment or production variances. There is zero travel on either my Comp or spouses Ariel when locked, even with 300 lbs hanging off of them. Not that there is anything wrong with a bit of travel. The tires do deflect a bit.

On a side note, I cleaned and oiled my chain last night and seemed to pick up 1mph during my ride this AM Also noticed the plastic ring between the rear cogs and spokes was dislodged. It snapped back into place.

Last edited by ColdCase; 08-26-15 at 10:13 AM.
Old 08-26-15, 11:30 AM
ColdCase

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks avidone1! I know what the specs say -- it's the reference to air fork in the 'features' description that has me curious!

Please don't take any trouble, but if you could be bothered you could easily check: one of your fork legs will have the lockout on top, the other will have either a turn dial for preload or removable top cap under which is a device to turn for preload (coil spring in either case) or it will have a removable top cap under which is an air valve (air spring). I'd be interested to know which. As I say, if it's a bother don't bother!
Dunno if you got an answer on this. The "preload side" of the comp disc fork has a snap on cover under which there is the standard looking preload adjuster knob, similar to but not exactly like the sport disc fork. There are no air fittings.
Old 08-26-15, 11:48 AM
badger1

Dunno if you got an answer on this. The "preload side" of the comp disc fork has a snap on cover under which there is the standard looking preload adjuster knob, similar to but not exactly like the sport disc fork. There are no air fittings.
Thanks for looking, ColdCase. Is yours a '16 or '15?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.