Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Is chain waxing worth the time and expense?

Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Is chain waxing worth the time and expense?

Old 02-07-23, 03:21 PM
Kontact 

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4338 Post(s)
Liked 1,522 Times in 992 Posts
Originally Posted by smd4
Why would either of those things happen on a properly lubricated chain?? If either happened--especially "splashing and dripping oil," you're definitely doing it wrong.
I have never seen an oiled chain rhat didn't leave black marks after 20 miles of riding.
Likes For Kontact:
Old 02-07-23, 03:33 PM
SoSmellyAir
Method to My Madness

Bikes: Trek FX 2, Cannondale Synapse, Cannondale CAAD4, Santa Cruz Stigmata GRX

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1939 Post(s)
Liked 1,461 Times in 1,012 Posts
Originally Posted by elcruxio
I wax my chains. It's a lot less work, but it requires a system to be less work. Building up that system is somewhat expensive (not really) and tedious, but once I got mine done it cut my workload to a fraction of what it was.

The system requires a slow cooker, some sort of chain sorting system so you don't mix chains between bikes, multiple chains per bike, connex quick links and some tools (hooks made of spokes, pliers, quick link pliers etc.)

I have three bikes in active rotation, four in the defrosted months. My wife has three bikes in active rotation and I maintain all of them.
If both you and your wife each have multiple bikes in active rotation, why are multiple chains per bike still needed? Just stagger the maintenance so that each of you would still have at least one bike to ride.
Old 02-07-23, 03:43 PM
himespau 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 4221 Post(s)
Liked 2,943 Times in 1,802 Posts
If you mainly ride on a trainer indoors and have cats that are jealous of the amount of time you spend on the bike (and show it by rubbing up against the bike whenever you are nearby or on the bike), yes, absolutely. 100%. If that doesn't describe you, I don't know. You'll have to figure that out for yourself.
Old 02-07-23, 03:57 PM
masi61

Bikes: Puch Marco Polo, Saint Tropez, Masi Gran Criterium

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1163 Post(s)
Liked 441 Times in 314 Posts
Originally Posted by rbrides
While I am very diligent and meticulous at cleaning and maintaining my bike I lubricate my chain with the traditional squirt bottle. I have seen the waxing and hot-wax discussions but is seems like overkill to me. I have tried 3-4 various chain lube products and they perform well in my opinion. I don’t want to get into product promotions or brand loyalty on this thread.

But, is there any advantage to waxing bike chains?
I like the quiet-ness of a freshly waxed bike chain. I also like the cleanliness of it. Having clean chainrings and clean cassette cogs that stay that way is a nice bonus. By using Wippermann Connex quick links it is easy to run a 2 chain system. When I remember that on my previous ride the chain was becoming more noisy I usually have my backup ready to go and I can change it in less than 5 minutes prior to my next ride. Somewhere along this mechanical journey I believe I have also tuned into optimizing the operation of my rear derailleur tension, optimal chain length, indexing adjustments and knowing when the chain is due for replacement so that I can swap it out before it starts to wreck my chainrings or my cassette cogs.
Likes For masi61:
Old 02-07-23, 04:40 PM
smd4

Bikes: 1989 Cinelli Supercorsa

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 3489 Post(s)
Liked 2,906 Times in 1,765 Posts
Originally Posted by Kontact
I have never seen an oiled chain rhat didn't leave black marks after 20 miles of riding.
Sounds like maybe you haven’t seen a properly oiled chain.
Old 02-07-23, 05:27 PM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 2222 Post(s)
Liked 3,407 Times in 1,779 Posts
i.e., a chain oiled with wax.
Likes For Polaris OBark:
Old 02-07-23, 06:03 PM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6200 Post(s)
Liked 4,201 Times in 2,357 Posts
Originally Posted by SoSmellyAir
How does the factory lubricant make paraffin wax better?
Softens it. The “wax” most people use is candle or canning wax. Both are “hard” waxes which means they are rather inflexible and mostly just break off. A “soft wax” is more flexible. Petroleum jelly is probably the most common soft wax that people have experience with in addition to factory wax lubricant. Both would soften a hard wax because they form a solution with hard wax which changes the properties of the hard wax.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 02-07-23, 06:12 PM
Kontact 

Must be. But it seems like it would take a special oil that doesn't pick up dust or metal and a drivetrain that doesn't wear.
Old 02-07-23, 06:18 PM
cyccommute 

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Motorcycles and chainsaws, which coincidentally also have chains.
Band saw blades as well. These guys make waxes for chains in various applications, especially dusty conditions. This company talks about the lubricating functions of wax as well.

Frankly, the distinction between “oil” and “wax” is a bit nebulous. They are both part of a homologous series with similar properties but different molecular weights.
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Likes For cyccommute:
Old 02-07-23, 06:31 PM
cyccommute 

Oil is used because it flows. If you put it on and wipe off the “excess”, there is still oil inside the chain. Moving the chain or even just letting it stand, allows the oil to migrate to the outside where you have to wipe off the excess. Rinse and repeat ad infinitum. There is no such thing as a “properly oiled chain” that doesn’t have oil on the outside and that translates into a black gunky chain which leave black gunk everywhere.

How often do you clean your “properly oiled chain”? My pictures above were for chains that were in the middle of their service duty. They are clean and the chain can be handled without getting gunk all over everywhere. I only need to clean the chain once. I seldom need to clean the rest of the drivetrain at all. I’ve used oil in the past. I have never experienced an oiled chain that is “clean” and I have handled tens of thousands of oiled chains.

Last edited by cyccommute; 02-07-23 at 06:41 PM.
Likes For cyccommute:
Old 02-07-23, 06:38 PM
MikeWMass

Bikes: Velosolex St. Tropez, LeMond Zurich (spine bike), Rotator swb recumbent

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 67 Times in 32 Posts
I use a method that was explained years ago by a guy named Garth on the old Bicycling forum.
I clean a new chain in oderless mineral spirits
heat in a tin pan in a 200 degree oven
Sprinkle with powdered graphite (optional)
Rub with a votive candle (or whatever solid wax you prefer)
Turn it over and repeat.
One last bake for 5 minutes or so
Let cool, flex over the pan to remove the excess wax and put back on the bike.
I generally go 700-1K miles between treatments
My drivetrain and hands stay as clean as in the post by Cyccomute above (actually my hands stay cleaner because I use nitrile gloves when working on my bike or changing a flat on the road).
Don't have to deal with a pot of melted wax or dripping chains.
Old 02-07-23, 06:47 PM
SoSmellyAir
Method to My Madness

Bikes: Trek FX 2, Cannondale Synapse, Cannondale CAAD4, Santa Cruz Stigmata GRX

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1939 Post(s)
Liked 1,461 Times in 1,012 Posts
Originally Posted by cyccommute
Softens it. The “wax” most people use is candle or canning wax. Both are “hard” waxes which means they are rather inflexible and mostly just break off. A “soft wax” is more flexible. Petroleum jelly is probably the most common soft wax that people have experience with in addition to factory wax lubricant. Both would soften a hard wax because they form a solution with hard wax which changes the properties of the hard wax.
Petroleum jelly (e.g. Vaseline) and factory lubricant are both tacky (i.e., exhibit mild adhesiveness). So if I soften canning wax (or any other high purity paraffin wax) by mixing in some factory lube, would the resulting wax also be more tacky and thus pick up more debris?
Old 02-07-23, 06:49 PM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

Quoted: 2222 Post(s)
Liked 3,407 Times in 1,779 Posts
Yes.

You might be better off mixing in some mineral spirits. I found that softens the wax without making it more tacky. Basically, you are adding some lower melting-point, lower molecular weight wax molecules to the mixture. I also found I had to reapply more often.
Old 02-07-23, 08:01 PM
cyccommute 

Petroleum jelly (e.g. Vaseline) and factory lubricant are both tacky (i.e., exhibit mild adhesiveness). So if I soften canning wax (or any other high purity paraffin wax) by mixing in some factory lube, would the resulting wax also be more tacky and thus pick up more debris?
It would depend on the proportions. It would take a lot of either to make canning wax that soft. But a little (experimentation would be needed) could make the canning wax softer without being tacky.

Old 02-07-23, 09:03 PM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2740 Post(s)
Liked 3,386 Times in 2,049 Posts
Motorcycles and chainsaws, which coincidentally also have chains.
you've obviously never owned a chainsaw.
Likes For dedhed:
Old 02-07-23, 09:24 PM
SkinGriz
Live not by lies.

Bikes: BigBox bikes.

Quoted: 860 Post(s)
Liked 784 Times in 582 Posts
Band saw blades as well. These guys make waxes for chains in various applications, especially dusty conditions. This company talks about the lubricating functions of wax as well.

Frankly, the distinction between “oil” and “wax” is a bit nebulous. They are both part of a homologous series with similar properties but different molecular weights.
Maybe small bandsaws?

The bandsaw I used was lubed with antifreeze.
Old 02-07-23, 10:47 PM
Russ Roth

Bikes: 2010 Carrera Volans, 2015 C-Dale Trail 2sl, 2017 Raleigh Rush Hour, 2017 Blue Proseccio, 1992 Giant Perigee, 80s Gitane Rallye Tandem

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1079 Post(s)
Liked 1,017 Times in 719 Posts
Originally Posted by rydabent
For those that wax their chain, I have a question. If you think wax is a lube, what other machines that you know of uses wax as a lube??
My mortiser uses wax on the slides and gear, the radial arm saw uses it on the post that raises and lowers the arm. The bandsaw, table saw, jointer and planer all have their cast iron tables/work surfaces waxed to inhibit rust and make the surface smoother for the boards to move over.

OP, I used wax for a short period on my road bike and seemed to have to wax every other day or the chain sounded dry and squeaky, even had the noise start same day it was waxed after riding 75 miles. Not good when multiple people get annoyed enough with the sound that they offer the shop tech that fixes their bikes, lube so he can fix his own. But the newerwaxes seem a lot better and I will be starting to wax my kids' track bikes since those don't experience rain, snow or mud and if they hold up well I might experiment with the road bikes. Honestly I'm lazy and I keep a small bottle of prolink lube and some rags in my car. If I notice a chain seems dry or poorly lubed I'll give the pedals a spin while dripping lube on the chain, let it sit a moment and then hold a rag to the chain while spinning the pedals till everything looks clean. Doesn't seem to make a mess or drip anything all over, but not a long process

Last edited by Russ Roth; 02-07-23 at 10:58 PM.
Likes For Russ Roth:
Old 02-08-23, 12:56 AM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,102 Times in 1,366 Posts
People have written walls and walls of prose about how it’s a waste of time
Genesis 49:16-17
Likes For Darth Lefty:
Old 02-08-23, 01:24 AM
cyccommute 

Originally Posted by SkinGriz
Maybe small bandsaws?

The bandsaw I used was lubed with antifreeze.
The bandsaw I used in the staff shop at work wasn’t small. We used wax sticks like this. Cut aluminum, steel, and plastic.

Old 02-08-23, 04:06 AM
GhostRider62

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 2332 Post(s)
Liked 2,097 Times in 1,314 Posts
Front chain has 800 miles on it from a hot wax, guilty for not rewaxing sooner but recovering from Covid and a bit lazy. I can rub my hand on it and not leave a mark.

Rear chain is lubed with liquid wax and is a little gunkier. It is on a recumbent and is more of a PITA to remove and therefore doesn't get as much love.

To redo the hot wax, I turn the crockpot on and throw the chain into it. After being in the melted wax for a while, I remove it and wipe off the excess wax from the exterior plate surfaces. Reinstall. Perhaps not kosher because I'm sort of using the wax to displace any metal particles but it achieves two purposes with one stone. Hands stay clean and no solvents although I use them to strip off the factory wax and if the chain got nasty but the front chain will get waxed soon, it is overdue

Old 02-08-23, 04:53 AM
elcruxio

Bikes: 2011 Specialized crux comp, 2013 Specialized Rockhopper Pro

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 862 Post(s)
Liked 335 Times in 223 Posts
Originally Posted by icemilkcoffee
You don't really need a slow cooker. You can do it over your stove too.
Also- you don't really need to slow-cook the chain every time. After the first time, I just use drip wax. I think it's just as good. Just make sure the drip wax is not too cold. Warm the bottle up in hot water if needs be. If you want to be thorough, you can take the chain off, immerse it in drip wax inside a zip lock bag, and put the zip lock bag somewhere warm so it can penetrate the chain.
Stove always has the risk of overheating and fire. I do have a transportable hob at the garage I use for experiments, but the actual maintenance waxing happens in the slow cooker, which can't really overheat the wax.

Drip wax can supplement hot waxing, but it doesn't flush the chain clean. Extended use of drip waxing can start introducing wear due to the contamination locked inside the chain by the wax.
Of course in hot waxing that contamination is transferred to the hot wax, but it's easy enough to clean by scraping the bottom of the hardened puck clean every year or so. But for touring purposes I think drip waxing is the way to go.

Originally Posted by Kontact
You are working way too hard. Wax displaces other lubricants. Melt on stovetop, let chain drip/cool, put back on bike. Do it for that bike when it needs it. No sorting.
I did use a hob and pot when I started out and I still do with experimental waxes. However I find my method to be far less work.

I only have to melt wax once in two to three months. I power the slow cooker on and in an hour or so I'll have a pot of wax which hasn't overheated and hasn't caught fire. And If I've been smart all of the chains are already waxed by that time. A stovetop requires one to watch over the melting process lest the wax overheats or starts vaporizing or catches fire. It's also easy to inadvertently overheat the wax on a stovetop as the wax at the bottom of the pot can already be way too hot while the surface is still solid. It's not uncommon to get the bottom wax to 150C or more while the top is still solid. Going over 100C isn't great for the wax. So the melting needs to be done with pretty low heat anyway and that takes time that could be spent better.

I treat all used chains at once and that's the main workload I do only every few months. The sorting doesn't really take time as every bike has a peg where the chains of said bike are hanged. So I just hang the chains to drip. When they're cooled I take them off the wire tools and hang them on the pegs. Used chains get put on the same peg already laced in the waxing wire tool so no mixups are possible.

If I treated every chain individually I'd be spending more time on watching over the wax and I'd spend more time with the actual waxing process since I wouldn't get the time bonus of treating multiple chains at once. Now I have far more say in when I do the waxing. And while waiting for the wax to melt I can either do something useful around the house, get some work done, or drink beer and do other bike maintenance tasks that have accumulated to my to do list.

If both you and your wife each have multiple bikes in active rotation, why are multiple chains per bike still needed? Just stagger the maintenance so that each of you would still have at least one bike to ride.
Mainly because we like to choose which bike we'd like to use on any particular day. I sometimes use my touring bike for utility and utility bike for just riding around. And I use the fatbike for a suprisingly high amount of utility. The wife prefers her touring bike for commuting but uses the commuter if she has things to do in the city. But in the summer she commutes with the road bike too.
It's just easier having every bike usable and ready to go whenever we want to use them. If a bike was in maintenance queue when I wanted to use it, that'd be a real bummer.
Old 02-08-23, 07:42 AM
Kontact 

Originally Posted by elcruxio
And If I've been smart all of the chains are already waxed by that time. A stovetop requires one to watch over the melting process lest the wax overheats or starts vaporizing or catches fire. It's also easy to inadvertently overheat the wax on a stovetop as the wax at the bottom of the pot can already be way too hot while the surface is still solid. It's not uncommon to get the bottom wax to 150C or more while the top is still solid. Going over 100C isn't great for the wax. So the melting needs to be done with pretty low heat anyway and that takes time that could be spent better.
If you put the chain in a small sauce pan on the stovetop on the lowest setting and put the puck of wax on top of the chain, 7 minutes later when the puck has fully liquified the chain is at full temp and you take it off the heat. Nothing has time to overheat and there is no soak time necessary because the chain gets hot, first. It is impossible to screw up, unless you can't stand 7 minutes of doing something else in the kitchen.
Old 02-08-23, 07:45 AM
Kontact 

Originally Posted by Russ Roth
My mortiser uses wax on the slides and gear, the radial arm saw uses it on the post that raises and lowers the arm. The bandsaw, table saw, jointer and planer all have their cast iron tables/work surfaces waxed to inhibit rust and make the surface smoother for the boards to move over.

OP, I used wax for a short period on my road bike and seemed to have to wax every other day or the chain sounded dry and squeaky, even had the noise start same day it was waxed after riding 75 miles. Not good when multiple people get annoyed enough with the sound that they offer the shop tech that fixes their bikes, lube so he can fix his own. But the newerwaxes seem a lot better and I will be starting to wax my kids' track bikes since those don't experience rain, snow or mud and if they hold up well I might experiment with the road bikes. Honestly I'm lazy and I keep a small bottle of prolink lube and some rags in my car. If I notice a chain seems dry or poorly lubed I'll give the pedals a spin while dripping lube on the chain, let it sit a moment and then hold a rag to the chain while spinning the pedals till everything looks clean. Doesn't seem to make a mess or drip anything all over, but not a long process
You either used the wrong wax, didn't heat the chain enough to get the wax into it or heated the chain so much that the wax flowed back out during cooling. Normal wax doesn't get squeaky in 75 miles when applied correctly.
Old 02-08-23, 07:47 AM
smd4

Bikes: 1989 Cinelli Supercorsa

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 3489 Post(s)
Liked 2,906 Times in 1,765 Posts
Oil is used because it flows. If you put it on and wipe off the “excess”, there is still oil inside the chain. Moving the chain or even just letting it stand, allows the oil to migrate to the outside where you have to wipe off the excess. Rinse and repeat ad infinitum. There is no such thing as a “properly oiled chain” that doesn’t have oil on the outside and that translates into a black gunky chain which leave black gunk everywhere.
I just ran my chain, one revolution of the cranks, while grasping it with some white TP. OK, there's a little, barely visible residue. Hard to see in most light. Wouldn't come off when I just used my hand. Definitely not "black and gunky." Which, if this is what you're seeing, makes me think you don't know what a properly-lubed chain should look like.

How often do you clean your “properly oiled chain”? My pictures above were for chains that were in the middle of their service duty. They are clean and the chain can be handled without getting gunk all over everywhere. I only need to clean the chain once. I seldom need to clean the rest of the drivetrain at all. I’ve used oil in the past. I have never experienced an oiled chain that is “clean” and I have handled tens of thousands of oiled chains.
Yeah... as you've suggested, I really don't need to clean my chain that often. One really deep-cleaning actually, since it was installed. But when things start looking a little black, I'll take it off and clean it, while at the same time thoroughly cleaning the cogs, RD pulleys, chainrings and crank.

In my years at the bike shop, it was my experience that even so-called "knowledgeable" cyclists use WAY too much oil on their chains. I'll say that again: WAY. TOO. MUCH. OIL. I guess it falls under the adage of, if a little is good, lots must be way better.
Old 02-08-23, 07:54 AM
Hondo6

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 549 Post(s)
Liked 665 Times in 462 Posts
And the religious wars continue . . . .
Likes For Hondo6:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.