Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Replacement rim brakes for wife rims

Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Replacement rim brakes for wife rims

Old 03-23-23, 10:27 AM
marathon marke

Bikes: Felt F65, Trek FX 7.3, Centurion Professional

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 4 Posts
Replacement rim brakes for wide rims

I have a 2012 BMC SLR01 Team Machine that came with 23mm tires and old school narrow rims, 17mm internal. I've since picked up new wheels with 25mm tires and 19 mm rims. The original brakes just barely clear, but with no ability to open up wider.
Can anyone suggest a high-end rim brake that would work with SRAM Red levers and accommodate the wider rims?

Last edited by marathon marke; 03-23-23 at 11:47 AM.
Old 03-23-23, 10:44 AM
roadcrankr
Thread derailleur

Bikes: Merlin Extralight '94 & Cannondale Supersix '15

Quoted: 363 Post(s)
Liked 452 Times in 257 Posts
Sounds like Red brakes, too, although those always looked to me like they opened wide.
My 9000-series Dura-Ace open wide to accommodate my 20mm rims and 28mm tires. Plenty of room for up to 32's.
These work flawlessly and stop on a dime.
Old 03-23-23, 11:38 AM
marathon marke

Originally Posted by roadcrankr
Sounds like Red brakes, too, although those always looked to me like they opened wide.
My 9000-series Dura-Ace open wide to accommodate my 20mm rims and 28mm tires. Plenty of room for up to 32's.
These work flawlessly and stop on a dime.
Actually, TRP R970EQ calipers. They work great, but with the wider rims I now can't get any allowance to open the QR if my rims ever go out of true.
Thanks for the suggestion on the DA. So do they still allow you to open them up further if needed?
Old 03-23-23, 12:20 PM
grumpus

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 475 Post(s)
Liked 425 Times in 325 Posts
Originally Posted by marathon marke
I have a 2012 BMC SLR01 Team Machine that came with 23mm tires and old school narrow rims, 17mm internal. I've since picked up new wheels with 25mm tires and 19 mm rims. The original brakes just barely clear, but with no ability to open up wider.
Can anyone suggest a high-end rim brake that would work with SRAM Red levers and accommodate the wider rims?
17 mm internal isn't narrow, old school rims were 13-14 mm with tyres 18 - 25 mm (I still have some I use with 28 mm tyres).
19 mm is more like a touring or gravel rim (I know wide is trendy). Can you find some slimmer brake blocks that will allow your current brakes to reach? Or just replace the spherical washers (if fitted) with something narrower?
Old 03-23-23, 01:40 PM
roadcrankr
Thread derailleur

Bikes: Merlin Extralight '94 & Cannondale Supersix '15

Quoted: 363 Post(s)
Liked 452 Times in 257 Posts
Actually, TRP R970EQ calipers. They work great, but with the wider rims I now can't get any allowance to open the QR if my rims ever go out of true.
Thanks for the suggestion on the DA. So do they still allow you to open them up further if needed?
Mine open fine to release the wheel. And I run my pads fairly close to the braking surface.
With so many migrating to disc brakes, you can find DA brakes in excellent condition all day long on eBay.
7800, 7900, 9100 all fit about the same.
Likes For roadcrankr:
Old 03-23-23, 07:18 PM
marathon marke

Originally Posted by grumpus
17 mm internal isn't narrow, old school rims were 13-14 mm with tyres 18 - 25 mm (I still have some I use with 28 mm tyres).
19 mm is more like a touring or gravel rim (I know wide is trendy). Can you find some slimmer brake blocks that will allow your current brakes to reach? Or just replace the spherical washers (if fitted) with something narrower?
I was mistaken. They're about 14-15mm. I tried to correct the original post, but it's not letting me do any edits.
That's not a bad idea about the spherical washers. They are pretty thin already, but I might try to file down the flat sides. Thanks for the idea!
Old 03-23-23, 08:14 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4331 Post(s)
Liked 3,955 Times in 2,644 Posts
Thinner pads or different sets of washers is a great idea. If you do want to upgrade and I do mean really upgrade, eeBrakes from Cane Creek are the way to go. A totally modern rim brake with little weight and loads of power. I have two sets and love them dearly for all my road rim brake bikes it is tough to beat them (except on price).
Old 03-24-23, 08:13 AM
grumpus

Quoted: 475 Post(s)
Liked 425 Times in 325 Posts
That's not a bad idea about the spherical washers. They are pretty thin already, but I might try to file down the flat sides.
You can get rid of the spherical washers if you custom fit wedge washers with the necessary angle filed into them. It can be fiddly getting the orientation right when tightening them, but not something you have to do often.
Likes For grumpus:
Old 03-24-23, 08:22 AM
marathon marke

Originally Posted by veganbikes
Thinner pads or different sets of washers is a great idea. If you do want to upgrade and I do mean really upgrade, eeBrakes from Cane Creek are the way to go. A totally modern rim brake with little weight and loads of power. I have two sets and love them dearly for all my road rim brake bikes it is tough to beat them (except on price).
Yeah, I've seen those. Nice, but out of my budget!
Old 03-24-23, 08:33 AM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4331 Post(s)
Liked 3,955 Times in 2,644 Posts
Yeah, I've seen those. Nice, but out of my budget!
Yeah they aren't cheap but they also aren't cheap. I remember first getting them and being like surely these boxes are empty and Cane Creek scammed me but no they were in there just so light. Also they are some of the best rim brakes I think I have ever used or seen.
Old 03-26-23, 08:32 AM
oldschoolbike

Bikes: 1974 PX-10E sold, 1977 Witcomb stolen, 1980 Roberts 1 speed, 1987 Cyclops 3 x 6 friction triple crank, 2010 Masi Commuter 1 speed, 2017 Ribble 525 2 x 10 with Ergos

Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 17 Posts
Swissstop sells pads of various compounds to address exactly that. I believe their name for low profile pads is EVO. Also, check that there are no plain washers inside the arms in your current setup. It seems from my investigation of various brakes' diagrams that only the spherical washer is needed inside the arm.

oldschoolbike
Likes For oldschoolbike:
Old 03-26-23, 09:28 AM
KerryIrons

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 504 Post(s)
Liked 637 Times in 355 Posts
When you say there is "no ability to open up wider," do you mean that when you removed the cable from the brake, it still wouldn't open? Did you then attempt to open it wider with your hands? It seems highly unlikely that the brake won't open wide enough for this rim that is 2 mm wider. If removing the cable didn't allow the brake to open but you can open it with your hands, then it needs cleaning and lubrication to restore its original range of motion. And if when you removed the cable the brake sprang open, you just need to adjust the cable attachment.
Old 03-26-23, 01:59 PM
BCRider

Bikes: Norco (2), Miyata, Canondale, Soma, Redline

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked 45 Times in 35 Posts
Someone mentioned thinner washers. The Koolstop pads I use and most others come with two different thickness of cup washers. Just check that you're using the thin ones between the arm and pad.

I also use the slightly thinner V brake pads rather than the road bike pads. That gives me a little more clearance and also better seating to the rims since I'm running 28's on 24mm rims.
Old 03-26-23, 03:40 PM
marathon marke

Originally Posted by KerryIrons
When you say there is "no ability to open up wider," do you mean that when you removed the cable from the brake, it still wouldn't open? Did you then attempt to open it wider with your hands? It seems highly unlikely that the brake won't open wide enough for this rim that is 2 mm wider. If removing the cable didn't allow the brake to open but you can open it with your hands, then it needs cleaning and lubrication to restore its original range of motion. And if when you removed the cable the brake sprang open, you just need to adjust the cable attachment.
At this point, the arms are opened as far as rhey can physically go (each arm hits the opposite one). They open wide enough to get the wheel in, but I'm concerned with no ability to adjust or open up further in case of emergency, such as a spoke breaking when I'm 100 miles from home.