Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Coasting down hill

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Coasting down hill

Old 05-29-22, 06:51 AM
njkayaker

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4242 Post(s)
Liked 1,343 Times in 932 Posts
Originally Posted by tomato coupe
No, it doesn't matter for this discussion, but ... you're confusing the quadratic equation, which is an algebraic expression, with quadratic functions.
No.

Quadratic Functions

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quadratic_function

Last edited by njkayaker; 05-29-22 at 07:34 AM.
Old 05-29-22, 07:23 AM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 3942 Post(s)
Liked 7,279 Times in 2,940 Posts
The first two links are good, because they’re about quadratic functions, not the quadratic equation, which was your earlier link. But, this is just semantics now. PeteHski’s original objection to my use of the term quadratic was because of the absence of the linear term in aerodynamic drag. We all agree that the term is not required in a quadratic function; we’ve just stated it differently.

on edit: yep, you stated the same while I was (slowly) typing, so we’re all good!

on edit again: okay, now you deleted all that. I can’t keep up…

Last edited by tomato coupe; 05-29-22 at 07:34 AM.
Old 05-29-22, 07:36 AM
njkayaker

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 4242 Post(s)
Liked 1,343 Times in 932 Posts
Originally Posted by tomato coupe
The first two links are good, because they’re about quadratic functions, not the quadratic equation, which was your earlier link. But, this is just semantics now. PeteHski’s original objection to my use of the term quadratic was because of the absence of the linear term in aerodynamic drag. We all agree that the term is not required in a quadratic function; we’ve just stated it differently.

on edit: yep, you stated the same while I was (slowly) typing, so we’re all good!
I didn’t say you were wrong.

His mistake was thinking the coefficients had to be nonzero.

(The quadratic equation is about finding roots of quadratic functions.)

Last edited by njkayaker; 05-29-22 at 07:45 AM.
Old 05-29-22, 08:06 AM
Racing Dan

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1335 Post(s)
Liked 318 Times in 216 Posts
Originally Posted by LarrySellerz
its funny, im huge but due to a neck injury am not aerodynamic at all. At high speeds I struggle, smaller riders with a more aggressive position pull ahead. For instance going down Alpine, the fast groups are going over 30 mph and ive been dropped thinking I would just ride away from the field because I have an extra 100 lbs on the average rider. Aerodynamics are so huge at high speeds, I find that even though im 260 lbs I'm strongest on false flats and headwinds where power is king. I think the benefit of weight is overstated on descents unless the rider is flexible and aero.
Not getting dropped is #1 priority. Once that happens you are alone battling the wind. That's even less efficient than pedalling down hill. But if that is what it takes to keep up, that's what you do. Riding alone, pedalling hard down hill makes little sense. Better spend your energy going up and coast or soft pedal down.
Old 05-29-22, 01:00 PM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4384 Post(s)
Liked 4,824 Times in 2,981 Posts
Originally Posted by njkayaker
I didn’t say you were wrong.

His mistake was thinking the coefficients had to be nonzero.

(The quadratic equation is about finding roots of quadratic functions.)
Yeah, that's what threw me a little. But anyway we all agree aero drag is directly proportional to speed squared and it is a very simple quadratic function.
Likes For PeteHski:
Old 05-29-22, 04:09 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10397 Post(s)
Liked 11,849 Times in 6,066 Posts
its funny, im huge but due to a neck injury am not aerodynamic at all. At high speeds I struggle, smaller riders with a more aggressive position pull ahead. For instance going down Alpine, the fast groups are going over 30 mph and ive been dropped thinking I would just ride away from the field because I have an extra 100 lbs on the average rider. Aerodynamics are so huge at high speeds, I find that even though im 260 lbs I'm strongest on false flats and headwinds where power is king. I think the benefit of weight is overstated on descents unless the rider is flexible and aero.
You'll never ride away from them with a 42x18. They're rocking 52 or 53 x 11. At 30 mph you'd be thrashing away at 160 rpm, bouncing all over the place and wasting tons of energy. You're leaving a ginormous hole in the air. They can tuck into that and roll along at a nice, easy 80 rpm - barely ticking over. If they spin up to 90 rpm, they're going almost 35 mph, and you're OTB and flailing like mad, unable to catch up. Weight gives you some advantage, but you're giving up all that advantage and more by sitting up and by trying to push a 42x18.

Years ago, I was riding with a smallish woman. She as not only no more than 5'3", she was also thin, so MAYBE 110lbs soaking wet. I'd just pulled us along Portola, so when we hit Alpine, she took the lead, and was pedaling away for dear life, while I was coasting, and having to brake a lot so as not to roll over her. After about 30 seconds of this, I pulled around her and said, "Here, let me..." and pulled all the way to Santa Cruz Avenue, at a speed she'd never have managed on her own.. I let her pull us along the Alameda, since that's flat/rolling.

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Old 05-29-22, 04:42 PM
LarrySellerz

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 2693 Post(s)
Liked 485 Times in 350 Posts
Originally Posted by genejockey
You'll never ride away from them with a 42x18. They're rocking 52 or 53 x 11. At 30 mph you'd be thrashing away at 160 rpm, bouncing all over the place and wasting tons of energy. You're leaving a ginormous hole in the air. They can tuck into that and roll along at a nice, easy 80 rpm - barely ticking over. If they spin up to 90 rpm, they're going almost 35 mph, and you're OTB and flailing like mad, unable to catch up. Weight gives you some advantage, but you're giving up all that advantage and more by sitting up and by trying to push a 42x18.

Years ago, I was riding with a smallish woman. She as not only no more than 5'3", she was also thin, so MAYBE 110lbs soaking wet. I'd just pulled us along Portola, so when we hit Alpine, she took the lead, and was pedaling away for dear life, while I was coasting, and having to brake a lot so as not to roll over her. After about 30 seconds of this, I pulled around her and said, "Here, let me..." and pulled all the way to Santa Cruz Avenue, at a speed she'd never have managed on her own.. I let her pull us along the Alameda, since that's flat/rolling.
Yeah im talking about on a road bike, Ive attacked down alpine thinking I would smoke the group with my weight but always get caught. Trying to keep up on alpine on the SS is very painful, mostly spurts of 160+ RPM between trying to tuck in
Old 05-30-22, 07:53 AM
DaveSSS 

Bikes: Cinelli superstar disc, two Yoeleo R12

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1097 Post(s)
Liked 559 Times in 446 Posts
I ride a route with 3000 feet of climbing over 22 miles that's about 90% climbing, so on the descent, there's an equal amount of descending. The steepest grade is only about 6%, but with some tail wind I can sometimes spin up to around 120 rpm and 44 mph with my 48/10 top gear that's the same as a traditional 53/11. I coast briefly if the grade takes me into the mid to upper 30's. Except for the steepest grades, I'm pedaling at 90-100 rpm and only applying a modest torque which is soft pedaling. My heart rate stays well under 150 bpm, so I'm not working very hard on this very long descent, but I'm going significanty faster than I would by coasting. After 22 miles of climbing, I want some easier riding on the way down.
Old 05-30-22, 02:36 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10397 Post(s)
Liked 11,849 Times in 6,066 Posts
Yeah im talking about on a road bike, Ive attacked down alpine thinking I would smoke the group with my weight but always get caught. Trying to keep up on alpine on the SS is very painful, mostly spurts of 160+ RPM between trying to tuck in
I played around a little on Bikecalculator.com. Unfortunately, although it takes rider weight as a parameter, it doesn't have rider height.

Alpine is about a -2% gradient. For you, at 260, essentially riding on the tops, going 30 mph would take almost 400w. A 160 lb rider in the drops would require a little over 400 w. BUT, if you're ahead of them, they might only have to put out 70% of that, which is only 280w. So, you're putting out power you probably can't manage for more than a couple minutes, max, while if they're sitting in the big hole you punch through the air, they're putting out power they might be able to manage for an hour or more. If you watch attacks in pro cycling, or even amateur stuff, almost nobody attacks from the front. The riders behind just accelerate to get back into the slipstream and they're ALWAYS doing less work. Attacks can work if you pass the guys in front already going A LOT faster than they are. So, you MIGHT drop them if you 1) start from the back of the pack, 2) pass the front of the group doing 30+ when they're going 25, and 3) are in the drops. That 400w that only gets you 30 mph when you're sitting up will get you 35 mph in the drops.

But, you know, if you're already running on the edge of the red just sticking with them, you'll never drop them. They're that much stronger.

EDIT: Credit for my understanding of this comes from watching the NorCal Cycling channel on YouTube. He does a really good job of explaining this stuff, using his own and others race footage. And the videos are fun to watch!

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Old 05-30-22, 03:20 PM
PeteHski

Originally Posted by genejockey
I played around a little on Bikecalculator.com. Unfortunately, although it takes rider weight as a parameter, it doesn't have rider height.

Alpine is about a -2% gradient. For you, at 260, essentially riding on the tops, going 30 mph would take almost 400w. A 160 lb rider in the drops would require a little over 400 w. BUT, if you're ahead of them, they might only have to put out 70% of that, which is only 280w. So, you're putting out power you probably can't manage for more than a couple minutes, max, while if they're sitting in the big hole you punch through the air, they're putting out power they might be able to manage for an hour or more. If you watch attacks in pro cycling, or even amateur stuff, almost nobody attacks from the front. The riders behind just accelerate to get back into the slipstream and they're ALWAYS doing less work. Attacks can work if you pass the guys in front already going A LOT faster than they are. So, you MIGHT drop them if you 1) start from the back of the pack, 2) pass the front of the group doing 30+ when they're going 25, and 3) are in the drops. That 400w that only gets you 30 mph when you're sitting up will get you 35 mph in the drops.

But, you know, if you're already running on the edge of the red just sticking with them, you'll never drop them. They're that much stronger.

EDIT: Credit for my understanding of this comes from watching the NorCal Cycling channel on YouTube. He does a really good job of explaining this stuff, using his own and others race footage. And the videos are fun to watch!
Dropping someone on a shallow non-technical descent is virtually impossible unless you have a massive power advantage. Pros never even think about attempting that sort of move. It's just stupid.
Old 05-30-22, 05:46 PM
LarrySellerz

Well its only on the slow days that I am strong enough to attack, and its rare for someone to follow. They just watch me blow myself up off the front for a few minutes max until im caught by the wednesday social ride and then often am gassed and dropped altogether.
Old 05-31-22, 10:13 AM
prj71

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 2973 Post(s)
Liked 1,178 Times in 769 Posts
Well its only on the slow days that I am strong enough to attack, and its rare for someone to follow. They just watch me blow myself up off the front for a few minutes max until im caught by the wednesday social ride and then often am gassed and dropped altogether.
But do your brakes work?
Old 05-31-22, 10:51 AM
LarrySellerz

Originally Posted by prj71
But do your brakes work?
when riding with a group? of course
Old 06-05-22, 08:36 AM
DaveSSS 

Bikes: Cinelli superstar disc, two Yoeleo R12

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1097 Post(s)
Liked 559 Times in 446 Posts
On my regular 22 mile descent yesterday, a group of 5 young and serious looking riders passed me quickly, so I latched on, staying 4-6 feet behind the last rider. I had no problem keeping up with this group who were all probably 40 years younger. You don't need to stay very close to benefit from the draft. I even managed to stay in contact along a short stretch where the slope went up.
Old 06-05-22, 11:09 AM
PeteHski

Originally Posted by DaveSSS
On my regular 22 mile descent yesterday, a group of 5 young and serious looking riders passed me quickly, so I latched on, staying 4-6 feet behind the last rider. I had no problem keeping up with this group who were all probably 40 years younger. You don't need to stay very close to benefit from the draft. I even managed to stay in contact along a short stretch where the slope went up.
Exactly. It's a piece of cake to sit behind a group on an easy descent or even flat terrain. The guy up front is saving you roughly 30% in terms of power.