Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Late to the party!

Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Late to the party!

Old 05-26-22, 11:26 AM
countrydirt
Occasional poster

Bikes: 1997 Trek 520, 2020 Trek Marlin 5

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 13 Posts
Late to the party!

I was sort of kinda active on BF years ago, but life got in the way and I didn't post for years. But now, at 58 and almost (two weeks away) retired, I find I have more time to indulge in talking about my past-times and gaining advice and insight from the experts. The pandemic lockdown resulted in my riding much more and getting in better shape than I've been since high school and enjoying my newly single status. I recently even completed a sprint triathlon! This is the last full week of school with finals next week and FFA Convention the week after, then new time on my hands.

Anyway, just wanted to chime in and say hello.
Old 05-26-22, 12:24 PM
gobicycling
Made it to 84 WHOOPIE

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 181 Post(s)
Liked 493 Times in 153 Posts
Before long, you will wonder how you had time to work!!
Likes For gobicycling:
Old 05-26-22, 12:24 PM
delbiker1 
Mother Nature's Son

Bikes: 2014 Orbea Avant MD30, 2004 Airborne Zeppelin TI, 2003 Lemond Poprad, 2001 Lemond Tourmalet, 2014? Soma Smoothie

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 852 Post(s)
Liked 1,433 Times in 815 Posts
After my ex and I divorced in 2014, my cycling world became a lot more expansive, and expensive. I have averaged 5,000 miles a year, with a high of 8,000 in 2020. My goal now is 5000 this year, and next year I will only need 4000 to hit 50,000 miles in a 10 year span. That will be from age 62 to 71. Joining this forum, and Paceline, have been a real plus for gaining knowledge and getting help when needed. My number of bikes went from 2 to 8, not including a couple I gave to friends in need. I have been a cyclist for a long time, but it has become a huge, important part of my life. If I am fortunate enough to last another 10 years to reach 80, I hope to still be pedaling regularly. Slower and shorter will be fine.
Old 05-26-22, 01:12 PM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5223 Post(s)
Liked 3,579 Times in 2,341 Posts
fashionably late! welcome back!
Old 05-26-22, 06:58 PM
gthomson

Bikes: 2013 Cannondale Caad 8, 2010 Opus Fidelio, 1985 Peugeot UO14, 1999 Peugeot Dune, Sakai Select, L'Avantage, 1971 Gitane Apache Standard, 1999 Specialized Hard Rock

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 548 Post(s)
Liked 473 Times in 302 Posts
Welcome back, I am envious of all you men of leisure who have time to enjoy your bikes and rides. I'm hoping I can be there in 5 or 6 years but will see what the accountant says.
Old 05-26-22, 08:35 PM
Kai Winters

Bikes: Specialized Aethos, Specialized Diverge Comp E5

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 237 Post(s)
Liked 451 Times in 263 Posts
Welcome back !
I'm 66 and have been retired for 2 years...it's wonderful...everyone should try it
Since I retired and have been able to resume my preferred riding schedule...working 5 day 12 hour swing shifts really really sucked...I've lost 27 pounds and am at a weight I've not seen since my senior cat 3 days. Not quite the same fitness lol but working on it.
I love being able to ride when I want, how long I want with no worries about anything but chores around the house and relaxing...it's wonderful.
Good luck and enjoy your life...we only get one and too many of us just seem to piss it away...trying not to be on of them.
Old 05-26-22, 08:43 PM
Vintage Schwinn

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 346 Post(s)
Liked 394 Times in 258 Posts
The party never stops,........almost, anyway, with a little luck in the genes department and a continued dedication to strive to stay in shape, so to add to the probability of remaining healthy enough to continue to enjoy life to the fullest.
Dr. Paul Dudley White (GOOGLE: Dr. Paul Dudley White...to learn more about his enormous accomplishments during his lifetime!)
Dr. Paul Dudley White, M.D. was the first champion advocate for telling all the world who would listen about the real health improvement benefits from bicycle riding!
Now, about fifty years, since his death, he is still hugely regarded as a medical pioneer, and his wacky habit of riding his bicycle to his office, does not seem so wacky now, some seventy years after Dr. White was doing it in the early 1950's.

Riding a bicycle is fun. It is also good for you*.

* Assuming that you do ride on lightly trafficked, well maintained streets with posted SPEED LIMITS not exceeding 35 miles per hour, and no excessive motor vehicle speeding.
The World International Bicycle Riding Association, along with the Cyclists Union Nationale Transporte, HAS DETERMINED THAT CLOSE CONTACT BICYCLE RIDING WITH Suv's, Pickups, Automobiles, Large Trucks, motorcycles, and other such motor vehicles who ARE TRAVELING DENSELY CONGESTED STREETS/ROADWAYS AT CONSTANT AVERAGE SPEEDS OF 35 miles per hour OR GREATER, IS "GRAVELY DANGEROUS" (potentially deadly) TO THE BICYCLE RIDER!!

Both the W.I.B.R.A. and the Cyclists Union Nationale Transporte, do urge all bicycle riders to carefully choose where and when to ride certain particular routes, streets and roadways. They emphasize strongly the importance of choosing the safest route, even if it is the longest and most time inconvenient route, as your safety is the most important consideration as a bicycle rider. They also say that no one should ever ride without wearing a bicycle helmet to help protect the rider's head against a "permanent lights out" head injury that might have the cyclist riding away from the scene in a hearse.

RIDE, RIDE, RIDE, get out and ride......

................but just say No to:............ROLLIN ON DOWN THE HIGHWAY !!

***** Be very selective of where and when you Ride, you can continue to ride DAY AFTER DAY, No Matter What....

appologies to B.T.O. & Badfinger & Bob from Hibbing Minnesota.

.........May Your Tires Always Be Inflated, May Your Derailleurs Flawlessly Shift, May You Have A Fun Day Riding...
Old 05-26-22, 08:46 PM
Rolla

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1346 Post(s)
Liked 3,270 Times in 1,439 Posts
Congratulations on your impending retirement. I did the same at 58, and wish I'd done it sooner!
Old 05-26-22, 09:24 PM
Wildwood 
Veteran, Pacifist

Bikes: Bikes??? Thought this was social media?!?

Mentioned: 284 Post(s)
Quoted: 3897 Post(s)
Liked 4,825 Times in 2,228 Posts
You aren't late.....this party rolls a long time.
Welcome back.
Old 05-26-22, 09:34 PM
Fredo76
The Wheezing Geezer

Bikes: 1976 Fredo Speciale, Jamis Citizen 1, Ellis-Briggs FAVORI, Rivendell Clem Smith Jr.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 411 Post(s)
Liked 895 Times in 440 Posts
The pandemic reminded me that I may not get another summer to start riding again and get in shape. Two years in now, and my whole outlook has changed.

Congratulations!
Old 05-26-22, 09:49 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 2565 Post(s)
Liked 5,595 Times in 2,903 Posts
Welcome back and let’s get on with your retirement!