Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Winter Cycling
Reload this Page >

Tips for riding in snow?

Search
Notices
Winter Cycling Don't let snow and ice discourage you this winter. The key element to year-round cycling is proper attire! Check out this winter cycling forum to chat with other ice bike fanatics.

Tips for riding in snow?

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-13, 08:46 PM
vol

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 12 Posts
Tips for riding in snow?

It will be snowing tomorrow in NY but I have to bike commute (don't want to take subway). My bike is a hybrid with 700x35c. Any tips about safe riding in snow on city streets (during snowfall and with accumulation on the streets, though accumulation shouldn't be too bad until when I've finished my trip)? Thanks
Old 12-13-13, 09:12 PM
debit

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Take it slow and steady. No fast turns or movements, have lights and reflective gear and have a back up plan if you have to bail. I did the walk of shame when I felt it was too dangerous for me to continue the other day and am glad in retrospect that I did.
Old 12-13-13, 09:19 PM
vol

Originally Posted by debit
Take it slow and steady. No fast turns or movements, have lights and reflective gear and have a back up plan if you have to bail. I did the walk of shame when I felt it was too dangerous for me to continue the other day and am glad in retrospect that I did.
Thank you for the tips. I'm mainly worried about the cars, but hopefully not many of them on a snowy Saturday Sorry for the walk of shame

Old 12-13-13, 09:23 PM
soze
ex-everything.

Bikes: venerable surly crosscheck

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Chunder, that beat-up floury kind of snow on the road, is annoying as heck.

Be zen and trust in your balance. Pilot with your momentum, and don't panic when your bike seems to be moving forward but not quite in the line of your front wheel. Be light on the controls and let it float a little.

Stay as dry as you can. Especially if you're riding in non-winter kit. Cotton kills.
Old 12-13-13, 09:26 PM
Lacumo
Endangered Serotta Rider

Bikes: 2005 Serotta

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
That wasn’t the walk of shame. That was The Walk Of Smart.
Old 12-14-13, 08:03 PM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Bikes: 15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, 76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, 17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, 12 Breezer Venturi, 09 Dahon Mariner, 12 Mercier Nano, 95 DeKerf Team SL, 19 Tern Rally, 21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, 19 T-Lab X3, 91 Serotta CII, 23 3T Strada

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 3132 Post(s)
Liked 1,700 Times in 1,027 Posts
Originally Posted by soze

Be zen and trust in your balance. Pilot with your momentum, and don't panic when your bike seems to be moving forward but not quite in the line of your front wheel. Be light on the controls and let it float a little.

Stay as dry as you can. Especially if you're riding in non-winter kit. Cotton kills.
Beautiful advice.
Old 12-14-13, 08:14 PM
vol

Perhaps it's easier/safer to ride in thick accumulation of snow than when the street is just covered by a thin film of snow?
Old 12-14-13, 08:51 PM
Brannigan
Urban Gearhead

Bikes: '98 Ibis Spanky, '73 Bottecchia, Bruce Gordon (of NM) TT, '98 GT Avalanch

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by vol
Perhaps it's easier/safer to ride in thick accumulation of snow than when the street is just covered by a thin film of snow?
If the start of the snowfall was slushy or wet then froze, watch out! A small amount of dry snow is usually mellow otherwise.
Old 12-14-13, 08:53 PM
Brannigan
Urban Gearhead

Bikes: '98 Ibis Spanky, '73 Bottecchia, Bruce Gordon (of NM) TT, '98 GT Avalanch

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I concur. Beautiful advice.
Old 12-15-13, 09:14 PM
El Cid

Bikes: Surly Krampus

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You may also be too tall on your bike. I brought my seat down about 1.5 inches, and I had less pedaling power, but 100% more confidence.

Also, go on an empty side street or an open field where you can tear it up for awhile. Turn hard and even wipe out a few times. Learn your limits. Riding in the snow is a different skill, and there's no substitute for lots of practice.
Old 12-16-13, 01:46 AM
Pynchonite

Bikes: 2018 Specialized Epic Comp Carbon, 1989 Cannondale ST-400, forthcoming SaltAir Cycles Gravel Bike :D

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Stay in a low gear and pedal at a fairly high cadence. Make sure it's a gear that you like because you might end up stuck in it if the derailleur ices over.
Old 12-16-13, 10:09 PM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Bikes: 15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, 76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, 17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, 12 Breezer Venturi, 09 Dahon Mariner, 12 Mercier Nano, 95 DeKerf Team SL, 19 Tern Rally, 21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, 19 T-Lab X3, 91 Serotta CII, 23 3T Strada

Originally Posted by Pynchonite
Stay in a low gear and pedal at a fairly high cadence. Make sure it's a gear that you like because you might end up stuck in it if the derailleur ices over.
Yes, and keep the stroke smooth and power output stable; sudden jabs of power can break wheel loose and cause untimely front end lightening. Which reminds me: keep the front end weighted. Stay loose and let it ride, but shift some weight forward if possible and let that front wheel dig down, bite in, and hold the line.
Old 12-17-13, 05:58 AM
Murray Missile 

Bikes: More than there were awhile ago.

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 634 Post(s)
Liked 1,277 Times in 607 Posts

"Chunder" on top of hard packed snow and ice is what we have here right now, I can't afford a fall so I wimped out and stayed off the bike.
Old 12-17-13, 12:16 PM
chefisaac

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
You may want to have a back up route in mind that goes where the plow and salt. Try to avoid sidewalks and bicycle paths because they are untreated and sometimes can be very rough especially if it freezes.

Case in point, last week it snowed, melted a little and then froze. My regular route includes to small bike paths. They froze hard and I slid and took a bad fall. It hurt a lot. Avoid this if you can!

During the work day I found another route that I could take that did not include the bike paths. It was much safer.
Old 12-17-13, 12:55 PM
vol

Originally Posted by chefisaac
Try to avoid sidewalks and bicycle paths because they are untreated and sometimes can be very rough especially if it freezes.
Yes. Yesterday when I rode on the streets there was hard frozen snow/ice on the side making the streets/avenues narrower, so I had to ride where cars usually go. I just hope all the drivers understand why we are riding in their lanes and be aware that if they are too close to us cyclists we'll have no way to go except falling on ice and be run over by the cars.
Old 12-17-13, 01:14 PM
Leebo

Bikes: Kona Dawg, Surly 1x1, Karate Monkey, Rockhopper, Crosscheck , Burley Runabout,

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 854 Post(s)
Liked 111 Times in 66 Posts
Studded tires are great for the freeze/thaw icy stuff.
Old 12-17-13, 08:17 PM
droy45
tougher than a boiled owl

Bikes: Fetish Cycles Fixation / Fuji S12S / Gary Fisher MTB / Raleigh Grand Prix / Ross Professional / Kent comfort cruiser

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
A light dry snow is manageable up to an inch or so. Any more than that if tracked down by cars etc. gets very treacherous. You can be going along and your front wheel darts all over and floats then sinks and slides, and you keep falling over. Its just plain aggravating and very dangerous when in traffic. I always wait for the plows to clean things up, (my commute is way too long), and the salt to start melting or slushing things up some. It is much easier when it gets real slushy so your tires can bust through to the pavement easily. Also when it freezes up solid it gets easier because you can stay on top of the frozen stuff. As long as you have studs. Best of luck and don't be afraid to walk those sections that give you this type of trouble.
Old 12-17-13, 08:23 PM
soze
ex-everything.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
And just to support the "best to be safe" voices, btw, I also chose to take the T rather than ride through 1"+/hr here in Boston this evening. There's HTFU and then there's "I gotta be able to go to work tomorrow".
Old 12-18-13, 08:57 PM
sknhgy 
Dirt Bomb

Mentioned: 64 Post(s)
Quoted: 5464 Post(s)
Liked 288 Times in 239 Posts
Is it just me but I cannot plow through snow, studs or not.
I ride in the snow, but only where it's been plowed or packed down by cars. My 26" mtb wears Nokia Mount and Ground tires.
Do you guys really ride in snow over an inch or two deep?
Old 12-18-13, 10:15 PM
marathon marke

Bikes: Felt F65, Trek FX 7.3, Centurion Professional

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by sknhgy
With my Surly Moonlander and it's 4.8" wide tires I do.
Old 12-19-13, 06:35 AM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Originally Posted by sknhgy
Is it just me but I cannot plow through snow, studs or not.
I ride in the snow, but only where it's been plowed or packed down by cars. My 26" mtb wears Nokia Mount and Ground tires.
It depends on the type of snow. 2" of powder, freshly fallen on clear roads, is one of the most fun snows to ride on, but 2" of heavy, wet, slushy snow over crunchy, two day old snow is a pain.

Oh, and distance is crucial, because conditions you may be able to struggle through for 3-4 miles might be hellish at 13 miles.

Last edited by chaadster; 12-19-13 at 06:39 AM.
Old 12-21-13, 06:53 PM
soze
ex-everything.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by marathon marke
With my Surly Moonlander and it's 4.8" wide tires I do.
See, this is my argument as to why *I* need a Moonlander, but husband says "nooooo, we can't fit it with the rest of the bikes/Bob trailer/etc."
Old 12-21-13, 07:13 PM
2manybikes

Bikes: 2 many

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1266 Post(s)
Liked 323 Times in 169 Posts
Originally Posted by chaadster
It depends on the type of snow. 2" of powder, freshly fallen on clear roads, is one of the most fun snows to ride on, but 2" of heavy, wet, slushy snow over crunchy, two day old snow is a pain.

Oh, and distance is crucial, because conditions you may be able to struggle through for 3-4 miles might be hellish at 13 miles.
Correct. At 6" your pedals hit the snow. Tried to go 1.5 miles in 6" deep. Did not quite make it halfway. One other problem of course is drifting.
Old 12-30-13, 02:16 PM
technoD

Bikes: trek 820, schwinn highlander,hardtail 29er, Currie I-Zip 26" Electric bike

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Does anyone suggest the zip tie trick around your wheels for added traction??
I wimped out on my ride to work, 3.3 miles due to the hard pack snow/ice combo with the knobbys on my 29" hardtail.
I have plenty of panduit zip ties but wanted to hear from someone who's done this??

Thanks!
Old 12-30-13, 02:29 PM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6212 Post(s)
Liked 4,210 Times in 2,360 Posts
Originally Posted by chaadster
Which reminds me: keep the front end weighted. Stay loose and let it ride, but shift some weight forward if possible and let that front wheel dig down, bite in, and hold the line.
Sorry but this is wrong. Riding snow is like riding sand. A front wheel that digs down will become hard to control and keep moving forward because you lose momentum and the bike holds the line too much because the wheel is trapped. The front tire should float as much as possible.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.