Go Back  Bike Forums > The Racer's Forum > Track Cycling: Velodrome Racing and Training Area
Reload this Page >

Ask your small, random, track-related questions here

Notices
Track Cycling: Velodrome Racing and Training Area Looking to enter into the realm of track racing? Want to share your experiences and tactics for riding on a velodrome? The Track Cycling forums is for you! Come in and discuss training/racing, equipment, and current track cycling events.

Ask your small, random, track-related questions here

Old 01-15-15, 03:07 AM
Dalai

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by carleton
I agree! I really think we are over-thinking this one.

As I mentioned in the thread linked above, a buddy of mine raced Masters Pan-Ams and Masters Worlds with tape over his SRM screen and wasn't hassled at those strict world-level UCI events.
I've done the same at events including the Masters Nationals here in the past. Just pointed the tape to the commissaire before rolling out...

Originally Posted by gtrob
Our new track is going to limit them in even training sessions, which to be honest is quite fine for me as the only time my data matters, im going to fast to see it clearly.
I would argue strongly against that rule! What about pacing pursuit efforts etc? I find it invaluable as I train by myself so don't have anyone pacing me during these sessions.
Old 01-15-15, 01:35 PM
rensho3

Bikes: Fuji Elite, 3Rensho track, Trek Madone 6.9, Specialized MTB, GT MTB, Cannondale Cad3 fixie

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Dalai, I agree that they should be allowed in training. Even then, I don't look at it while I am riding, but it sure is nice to see maximum speed and lap time between efforts to judge how the training session is going.
Old 01-15-15, 02:26 PM
carleton
Elitist

Mentioned: 88 Post(s)
Quoted: 1386 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 77 Posts
It sounds like one of those overbearing (or simply not-knowing) parent rules that'll be loosened with time.

"What? They have COMPUTERS on their bikes?! There's no way that they should be allowed to look at them while on the bike!"

Others probably agreed to the rule simply to not be disagreeable as they had (and still have) bigger fish to fry as far as getting the track program up and running.

My guess is that soon it'll be a rule that is on the books that nobody enforces. Then it'll simply be removed as a rule when things settle down.
Old 01-15-15, 05:48 PM
slindell

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by carleton
It sounds like one of those overbearing (or simply not-knowing) parent rules that'll be loosened with time.

"What? They have COMPUTERS on their bikes?! There's no way that they should be allowed to look at them while on the bike!"

Others probably agreed to the rule simply to not be disagreeable as they had (and still have) bigger fish to fry as far as getting the track program up and running.

My guess is that soon it'll be a rule that is on the books that nobody enforces. Then it'll simply be removed as a rule when things settle down.
For the new track I suspect it is saying UCI rules are in effect at all times (insurance?), it also keeps people looking ahead. We have taken computers off bikes in intro sessions to keep people looking ahead instead of pacing off the computer.

UCI rules started with just nothing loose that can fall on the track. Then as I learned in NZ - blame OZ, Australia started enforcing a no computer rule which then seemed to cause the UCI rules to get the no visible speedometer rule. Might be OZ was just the first to really enforce it. The odd part is it does not address the loose parts that started it and things seem to be more likely to fall off with the alternate mounts.

UCI track rules:
3.2.005 Riders may carry no object on them or on their bicycles that could drop onto the track. They may not bear or use on the track any music player or radio communication system. In addition, any electronic device with display (for instance speedometer or powermeter) must be hidden to that it cannot be read by the riders.
(text modified on 25.09.07; 29.06.09)

Just rotating the mount around the stem is enough to meet the rule so that is the simple way to meet the rule if only hiding while racing. You can also put it in a pocket or inside the skinsuit if desperate.
Old 01-15-15, 06:55 PM
dunderhi

Bikes: Little Wing, XTRACK, Electron Pro, SuperCorsa, Paramount, & Thunderdrome

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
I watch my fellow trackies constantly fiddle with their computers, always covering them up at the last possible moment before each race starts, and I wonder what happened to pedal hard and turn left.

I guess I must be a track racing dinosaur - maybe a trackisaurus rex.

Old 01-15-15, 07:51 PM
carleton
Elitist

Originally Posted by dunderhi
I watch my fellow trackies constantly fiddle with their computers, always covering them up at the last possible moment before each race starts, and I wonder what happened to pedal hard and turn left.

Hahaha!

I'd bet they are setting new interval markers in the file for review later. Also, sometimes it's simply to verify that it's awake and recording.
Old 01-15-15, 09:01 PM
Baby Puke

Bikes: Marin Stelvio, Pogliaghi SL, Panasonic NJS, Dolan DF4, Intense Pro24 BMX

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 365 Post(s)
Liked 87 Times in 58 Posts
Originally Posted by dunderhi

I'm with you, Rex. No computers on my bike.
Old 01-16-15, 05:24 AM
Dalai

Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Baby Puke
I'm with you, Rex. No computers on my bike.
Blasphemy!

I love reviewing my data almost as much as producing it!
Old 01-17-15, 10:43 AM
Dan Burkhart 

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 937 Post(s)
Liked 652 Times in 367 Posts
Can I use this bike on the track?

I plan to build a track dedicated bike, but meanwhile, I wonder If I can use this one if I make the following modifications.
The bike, a steel track frame (rear facing dropouts) with a Sturmey Archer S3X fixed gear 3 speed, 700x 28 Schwalbe Marathon Plus tires and about a 73 gear inch ratio in 3rd (direct) gear.
If I removed all levers and cabling, the hub would default to direct gear. Remove the bottle cage and brakes, and I think I'm there. Anything I've overlooked?
BTW, not looking to race, just ride the track.
Old 01-17-15, 11:33 AM
wens

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Bottom bracket height, maybe. This is for milton, right? Seems like they're being on the conservative side, not sure how a gearhub would go over, especially since they've been on the conservative side for everything so far. 73" is a pretty small gear too, but that's more likely to annoy you than prevent you riding it.
Old 01-17-15, 11:36 AM
Jared.
Uninformed Senior Member

Bikes: Dolan Pre Cursa, Cannondale R400

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Dan Burkhart
I plan to build a track dedicated bike, but meanwhile, I wonder If I can use this one if I make the following modifications.
The bike, a steel track frame (rear facing dropouts) with a Sturmey Archer S3X fixed gear 3 speed, 700x 28 Schwalbe Marathon Plus tires and about a 73 gear inch ratio in 3rd (direct) gear.
If I removed all levers and cabling, the hub would default to direct gear. Remove the bottle cage and brakes, and I think I'm there. Anything I've overlooked?
Wouldn't it be easier to just rent a bike? They have a quality, nice looking/performing , brand new fleet of rentals at Milton.
Old 01-17-15, 11:50 AM
Dan Burkhart 

Originally Posted by Jared.
Wouldn't it be easier to just rent a bike? They have a quality, nice looking/performing , brand new fleet of rentals at Milton.
Why would I want to pay rental fees when I already have a bike that would work?
It's not like the mods I mentioned would take much. I would swap in another handlebar as well so I don't have to unwrap and remove the levers.
The frame has no braze ons either.
I guess my main questions are about the tires and the disabled IGH.
I could swap in a proper track wheel if need be. I build them all the time.

Last edited by Dan Burkhart; 01-17-15 at 11:58 AM.
Old 01-17-15, 01:19 PM
700wheel

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 144 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 11 Posts
Originally Posted by Dan Burkhart
You may have problems with those tires - on a 42 degree velodrome you will be riding on the transition are between tread and sidewall. If you have never ridden a steep velodrome before then I suggest renting a track bike and ask for advice on your existing bike.
Old 01-17-15, 03:13 PM
Dan Burkhart 

Originally Posted by 700wheel
You may have problems with those tires - on a 42 degree velodrome you will be riding on the transition are between tread and sidewall. If you have never ridden a steep velodrome before then I suggest renting a track bike and ask for advice on your existing bike.
Well, that might be a good reason to rent the first few times, at least for the training. Thanks.
Old 01-18-15, 01:34 PM
sergioflorez

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
is marty nothstein's gt a trimble frame?
Old 01-18-15, 03:11 PM
taras0000
Lapped 3x

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 325 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 20 Posts
Originally Posted by sergioflorez
is marty nothstein's gt a trimble frame?
Yes. Recently sort of resurrected as a concept by affinity cycles. A Closer Look at the Trimble Affinity Track Bike | The Radavist
Old 01-18-15, 03:25 PM
taras0000
Lapped 3x

I'm curious to know who made the bike that Darryn Hill rode.
Old 01-19-15, 05:25 AM
Dalai

Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by taras0000
I'm curious to know who made the bike that Darryn Hill rode.
I've posted the video on The cycling scrapbook FB page (lots of old Australian track photos and videos) and asked the question there for you taras0000. Will post back here when I get details.

The related blog page for those interested in racing details from the past - https://cyclingscrapbook.blogspot.com.au/
Old 01-19-15, 05:28 AM
Dalai

Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
That as expected didn't take long. "Darryn was riding a steel frame with gussets built by Bryan Hayes from the AIS in Adelaide."
Old 01-19-15, 07:22 PM
taras0000
Lapped 3x

Originally Posted by Dalai
That as expected didn't take long. "Darryn was riding a steel frame with gussets built by Bryan Hayes from the AIS in Adelaide."
https://autobus.cyclingnews.com/photos/1997/hill.jpg

This doesn't look like steel to me...

Maybe they're thinking of this one?

https://c2.staticflickr.com/6/5161/5...bd2ce6a8_z.jpg

I know that Bryan Hayes made the Euro Sport bikes, but the one in the video is very different.
Old 01-20-15, 12:01 AM
sergioflorez

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
very nice bike.

what is the update on the pittsburgh velodrome?

*the fork on that affinity is crazy.
Old 01-20-15, 03:32 AM
Dalai

Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by taras0000
https://autobus.cyclingnews.com/photos/1997/hill.jpg

This doesn't look like steel to me...

Maybe they're thinking of this one?

https://c2.staticflickr.com/6/5161/5...bd2ce6a8_z.jpg

I know that Bryan Hayes made the Euro Sport bikes, but the one in the video is very different.
I'll post the first photo and ask again.
Old 01-20-15, 05:43 AM
Dalai

Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts

I posted that photo and got the following comment from a Robert Bird "The sprint bikes were steel with gussets to strengthen the triangle. the gusset was filled with bog much like car filler and shaped as you see. I had one 91-93."
Old 01-20-15, 06:04 AM
wens

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by sergioflorez
very nice bike.

what is the update on the pittsburgh velodrome?

*the fork on that affinity is crazy.
Supposedly q1. Still no real date, pictures, communication, or other things that would inspire confidence though.
Old 01-20-15, 06:38 AM
carleton
Elitist

Originally Posted by Dalai

I posted that photo and got the following comment from a Robert Bird "The sprint bikes were steel with gussets to strengthen the triangle. the gusset was filled with bog much like car filler and shaped as you see. I had one 91-93."
Weren't the Cinelli Laser series from that era also made of steel with similar gussets?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.