Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Recumbent
Reload this Page >

EZ 1 cruiser?

Search
Notices
Recumbent What IS that thing?! Recumbents may be odd looking, but they have many advantages over a "wedgie" bicycle. Discuss the in's and out's recumbent lifestyle in the recumbent forum.

EZ 1 cruiser?

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-15, 09:53 AM
james_v

Bikes: 2008 Marin Kentfield FS, Sun EZ Sport AX

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
EZ 1 cruiser?

Been thinking about getting a recumbent as I'm not getting any younger (67) and do like to ride. Presently riding a hybrid that is somewhat of a kludge.

There is an EZ1 super cruiser advertised here in Houston for $350 obo on craigslist. Only two photos provided but the bike does look OK. Not sure of the mfg date of the bike and will contact the owner later this morning. Hope to be able to view sometime this weekend or whenever the rain stops. Also test ride if possible.

Couple of questions:
Is this a good price?
What is everyone's opinion of the bike and components?

From what I have found on the net, it is not a "fast" bike and possibly some problems relating to shifting of the front chain ring.

Thanks in advance.

Edit: To all, thanks for the information regarding the EZ1. I was able to pick up an EZ Sport AX that was newer and in better condition than the EZ1.

Last edited by james_v; 02-02-16 at 09:26 PM. Reason: added bought an EZ Sport AX
Old 10-24-15, 11:39 AM
JanMM
rebmeM roineS

Bikes: Bacchetta Giro A20, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked 347 Times in 226 Posts
Sun 'bents have a general reputation for being cost-effective, comfortable, reliable and a bit heavy. That model came in around 15 years ago? Not sure how long they were made. Could be a reasonable Starter Bent if it's in good shape and fits you.
Old 10-24-15, 02:33 PM
BlazingPedals

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1513 Post(s)
Liked 734 Times in 455 Posts
An EZ-1 could be fairly new or VERY old. They've been around since the mid-90s at least. That said, if it's in good condition, it's probably worth $350.
Old 10-26-15, 11:30 AM
james_v

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanks for the replies.

The more I think about this, the more I would like to get something with larger wheels or maybe even a trike (tadpole design).
Old 10-26-15, 04:51 PM
osco53
Old Fart In Training

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 16 Posts
My Bents:

The EZ-1 became the Tour Easy LE,,the LE is way faster

Last edited by osco53; 11-29-16 at 06:32 AM.
Old 10-27-15, 10:20 AM
james_v

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I was wondering about being able to change out the front wheel to something larger. Looks like it can be done!
Old 10-27-15, 01:15 PM
VegasTriker

Bikes: Catrike 700, Greenspeed GTO trike, , Linear LWB recumbent, Haluzak Horizon SWB recumbent, Balance 450 MTB, Cannondale SM800 Beast of the East

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 523 Post(s)
Liked 227 Times in 179 Posts
Pick a different bike. Yes, you can change the front wheel on a recumbent bike but probably not without replacing the front fork. If you went from a 16" wheel to a 20" wheel but kept the original fork the tire is likely to rub on the fork and you might get interference with the cranks (heel strike). I wouldn't mess with the geometry of the bike as it also may cause instability.
Old 10-27-15, 02:16 PM
james_v

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
VegasTriker

Wow. Thanks for all of the input. I tried to reply to your PM but I need to have more (50) posts to do so. At least that's what came up.

I am semi-serious at the moment and I believe there are a few bike shops here in Houston that handle recumbents. I will be going to a few within the next week or so to at least do some test riding to see how I like them and also getting in/out. There is a guy in the next subdivision from me that has a two wheel recumbent and that is what got me interested. Looks comfortable and he passes me like I'm standing still.

Once again, thank you for the input. I've been looking on Craigslist here in Houston but may have to expand my search. Will also look at the bent riders forum.
Old 10-27-15, 02:19 PM
james_v

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Would change out the front fork as would have to remount the brakes (if rim type) anyway.
Old 10-27-15, 02:21 PM
jimmie65
Proud hobo biker

Bikes: 2019 Surly Ogre, 2016 Giant Anyroad 2, Lightspeed Roadrunner trike, SE Tripel (in process)

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 202 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I know nothing about recumbents but saw this one on Craigslist in Austin: Bike E Recumbent Bicycle. Don't know if it's better or worse than the one you're looking at but slightly lower price point. I rarely see used recumbents for less than $600-700.
Old 10-27-15, 02:39 PM
james_v

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanks!
Old 10-28-15, 12:31 AM
Scott.Whitaker 

Bikes: Bacchetta Giro 20, Tern Node D7i

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You may have already made your decision since you asked several says ago, but I would like to add that I used an EZ-1 to commute on for about 2 years. It was fun, and I never had a single problem with it.

The only reason I eventually sold it was I wanted a bike where I could recline the seat more. At 6 foot tall, the seat back was nearly vertical since I had to move the seat as far back as it could go to get good leg extension.

Just something to think about.
Old 10-28-15, 05:43 PM
osco53
Old Fart In Training

Originally Posted by james_v
I was wondering about being able to change out the front wheel to something larger. Looks like it can be done!
Been there Done that,,It's still the EZ-1 and now with a lighter loaded front end, not worth the work, Just makes the bike different, not better.....
The EZ-1 Is a fine bike as Is.
Correcting for added wheel flop is a PIA and alot of work,, Leave it stock or buy a faster bent
Old 10-30-15, 01:41 PM
BlazingPedals

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

Originally Posted by jimmie65
I know nothing about recumbents but saw this one on Craigslist in Austin: Bike E Recumbent Bicycle. Don't know if it's better or worse than the one you're looking at but slightly lower price point. I rarely see used recumbents for less than $600-700.
That post has been removed. I would say that I wouldn't expect to pay more than about $300 for a basic BikeE model (CL, was it?) Their flagship, the BikeE AT, went for about $1200 new, right before they went out of business.
Old 11-01-15, 05:14 AM
osco53
Old Fart In Training

https://www.sun.bike/

Last edited by osco53; 11-01-15 at 05:20 AM.
Old 11-03-15, 12:58 AM
Schwinnhund
Gearhead

Bikes: 1982 Schwinn Sidewinder, Sun EZ-1 Recumbent, Cannondale R-400

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 8 Posts
I ride an EZ 1. Best purchase I ever made. I got it used on EBay and never had a single regret. I've probably put 2000 miles on it since I bought it, and all I have done is wear out the seat cover. Super comfortable, reasonably fast (I am a Bicycle Vehicularist), and gets a lot of positive attention. $350.00 is a steal if it's in rideable shape.

Why do you want to change the tires? The small wheels make for a great ride, and they seem to be a bit tougher than 26" or 700 cc wheels. I ride off road often (though nothing very technical...I mainly just do 2-wheel hiking and camping) and the smaller wheels handle the rough very well. For commuting, distance riding, and general use, there is nothing better.

The only drawback I had was having to buy another indoor trainer that it would fit, for when the weather is less than desirable. I had to get a CylceOps Mag Trainer, and an adapter for 20" rear wheels. All told, it was only around $95.00 for both, on EBay, so it was not that bad, and now, my wife even rides the EZ indoors, and she hates riding regular bikes.

'Bents do require you to adjust your riding style a little, but it's nothing serious. You cannot stand on the pedals to climb hills, but the seat back gives you extra leverage as you push forward on the pedals, so it is easier to spin up hills than on a regular bike, even if not as fast. I am never in a hurry, so it's not a problem with me. As long as I get there, that's all that matters. Personally, I think climbing hills with the EZ is easier than with a conventional bike. I don't seem to have near as much trouble, or get as out-of-breath, even loaded down, or pulling my trailer. .

I have had no regrets at all buying the EZ. I sold 8 of my other bikes (I did keep my favorite Mountain Bike, just for when I feel a little wild....), and I like the EZ so much that I am seriously considering getting a trike, if the Mrs will let me. My riding distance and time has increased over 100% since I got the EZ. In fact, I seldom drive anymore, unless it is absolutely necessary. The EZ put the fun back into riding. No sore butt, no numb hands or crotch. and really no need for special bike clothes anymore.

I really don't understand why recumbents are not more popular. They are such more practical than a conventional bike for general use, imho.

Hope this helps....

Last edited by Schwinnhund; 11-03-15 at 01:03 AM.
Old 12-04-15, 07:04 PM
osco53
Old Fart In Training

Originally Posted by Schwinnhund
I ride an EZ 1. Best purchase I ever made. ,,,,,,, I really don't understand why recumbents are not more popular. They are such more practical than a conventional bike for general use, imho.
Reasons I think bents are not more popular:

People want to fit in, not many can become comfortable standing out from the crowd,

Hard to Draft with Roadie's on DF's,

A Performance bent is very expensive due In part to very low production numbers,

A $2,000 two wheel bent will often weigh in at 30-35 or more pounds where a $2k DF road bike will be around 20 pounds,,or less,

You need to develop 'Bent' legs before you chase down DF's, this takes time and effort,

Long wheel base bents are hard to live with, for example:
On a bike rack behind a small car,
In an Apartment, up stairs,,etc.

I'm sure there are other viable reasons, like There are a total of three bike shops that have bents out of 20 within 50 miles of me.
and only ONE that rents and Is backed up against the Pinellas trail...

The next closest is 50 miles away.....
Old 02-01-16, 06:13 PM
PhilWinIL

Bikes: '74 Raleigh Grand Prix, 2005 Raleigh Grand Prix, a Sun EZ-1 Recumbent (90's vintage), Sun Sport recumbent 2020, 6KUBikes kit bike converted to e-bike

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 6 Posts
I picked up a used EZ-1 (vintage 2001) last year and rode a stretch of the Katy Trail on it in October. Really like the way it rides. It does take a while to get used to the feel of a 'bent after riding a DF all your life, but the lack of numb arms and a sore seat makes it well worth it!
Old 02-02-16, 08:29 PM
Retro Grouch 

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 364 Posts
Originally Posted by james_v
Would change out the front fork as would have to remount the brakes (if rim type) anyway.
Still gonna change the head tube angle. I don't know if that will screw up the handling or not but I'd sure recommend getting in some base miles with the bike as designed before making such a change.
Old 02-03-16, 06:59 PM
BlazingPedals

I believe the EZ-1 was a 20/16 format, while the EZ-Sport has a 26" rear and a 20" front. Unless you're after smallness, the EZ-Sport is a better bike all-around.
Old 02-03-16, 09:59 PM
james_v

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
To all that have answered in this thread, thanks.

I've since bought an EZ Sport AX that was newer, less money and in better overall condition than the EZ 1.
Likes For james_v:
Old 02-03-16, 11:14 PM
bicyclebill1

Bikes: RANS Tailwind

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Great choice. Enjoy!
Old 02-20-16, 04:27 AM
cristi1g

Bikes: Sun EZ Sport Recumbent Bike and a Electra Townie 7d "Tall"

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
James-v, I bought a used 2003 the Sun EZ Sport AX and I love it. I put about 350 miles a week and to my surprise no back pain. I really enjoy these long bike rides on bike trails. My biggest challenge is the takeoff which is very common in city travel. For this I kept my Electra Townie 7d. I hope you enjoy your bike as much as I do. Happy Trails, Beni
Old 02-20-16, 05:58 PM
james_v

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by cristi1g
James-v, I bought a used 2003 the Sun EZ Sport AX and I love it. I put about 350 miles a week and to my surprise no back pain. I really enjoy these long bike rides on bike trails. My biggest challenge is the takeoff which is very common in city travel. For this I kept my Electra Townie 7d. I hope you enjoy your bike as much as I do. Happy Trails, Beni
Like mine quite a bit but you put way more miles on yours than I do on mine. I've noticed that my speed has also increased on my diamond frame bike as a result of riding the recumbent.

From your avatar, it appears that your handle bars are quite far from the seat. Do you have long arms or short legs? Mine are adjusted to where my knees just clear the ends of the bars with very minimal or no stretch whatsoever of my arms. My seat is just about one and one-half inch from fully back.

Oh and welcome to the forum. There are some really great and helpful people here especially in the recumbent forum.
Old 02-21-16, 05:24 AM
cristi1g

Bikes: Sun EZ Sport Recumbent Bike and a Electra Townie 7d "Tall"

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
javes-v, I have noticed that my speed has increased also with my EZ Sport and I found the wind resistance is minimal compared to my standard bike. A more comfortable ride gives me the ability enjoy putting more miles on my bike. You have given me a good idea of possibly changing the handlebar location to make my arms more comfortable. Happy Trails, Gratefully, Beni

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.